• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
This whole "the Isabelle trailer has no CG, it mist have been last minite!" just makes me think: did any of you watch Pac-Man's or the Mii's trailers?

Anyways, my predictions for now are
Smash only reveal ala Robin in October
Final Smash Direct in November
Nintendo general Direct in December, DLC is confirmed and a new ballot is opened.
Pac-Man had that CGI segment with Mr. Game and Watch, while the Miis had that amazing Iwata vs Reggie fight.
Isabelle's trailer clearly used assets from the new game, which is even more obvius when you consider that they used a very similar trailer for announcing Animal Crossing. I really doubt that the Smash team would have made the Toom Nook segment for Nintendo.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
Isabelle looks way more fun than Villager, I just didn't expect her to not be an echo. I loved the lead into the AC announcement that was so good.

epic yarn for 3ds is dumb tho

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Y'know, I should visit GameFAQs. My food does taste pretty bland, after all.
You should, especially the Nintendo Switch board. There are a lot of peoples who are attacking each other in this huge controversary about online service. It's like everyone has divided into half: Half who hates that and wants it to disappear/hypocritics and half who actually love it and want it

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
But again, it's not about being big and mobile, or small and immobile, it's about being small and mobile, and I mean actually small, not even of average player size. And even with Tabuu being big and mobile, he was still designed as the last boss of the game, so was intended to be a greater challenge than the rest.
Tabuu was still pretty big. And he's the last boss, so he has an excuse for being super hard, unlike hypothetical Skull Kid.
EDIT: Greninja'd.
Not big enough :p

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Something else that occurred to me that's another Smash 4 Mii Costume turned fighter

There was a problem fetching the tweet
They can be our next fighter, or our next assist trophy hype responsibly, and best of luck to all of you for whichever Mii costume you want playable.
i think the trailer disappointment stems from people wanting another epic cg trailer and they forget even in smash 4 they did plenty of more chill trailers (rosa and wii fit trainer come to mind)
besides if Isabelle was in epic combat in a cg trailer... thats just not her.

final predictions: elma, inecineroar, ken (semi clone)

this support for ammy confuses me as most people on this forum only support characters of games they have played. okami has sold less than 600,000 total units. im not sure if we have some marvel 3 fans here or what it is but she is a random choice of support.

also i need some clarification on skullkid. as a character people like him. but his role is only enhanced BECAUSE of the mask right? he's normally a generic enemy that shows up right? Or is this a unique skullkid people support from one game? I've always thought it was the mask that made skullkid significant not the other way around.
I support Ammy, because from my time playing the game, it was an amazing experience, my support is also slightly deeper than that, but I won't bore you with the details, just know she a character near and dear to me. Okami may have not have sold as much as other games, but it still has something very important, a unique art style not seen on any other game, and consistency. It has appeared on nearly ever game console, and has appeared in every game generation since it's 2006 release. It also has decent history on Nintendo, appearing on the Wii, DS, and currently the Switch, which also now gives it relevancy as well too.

I'm not saying I'm expecting Ammy to be in Smash, or for her to be a shoe-in (I don't expect any characters), but I do have hope that Sakurai could notice her consistent history, with every game generation released after her, her unique art/weapons stance change moveset, and the wonderful stages, and various amazing music she would bring, and consider her as the next Capcom Newcomer.
I think it's worth noting that before the direct aired, Some guy went through the files of the Smash website and Found Proof that some franchises with currently one character, will get another one. The ones he noted were obviously placeholders, including Wii Fit, F-Zero, PAC-MAN, Ice Climbers, and Rob.

So now that Animal crossing has two characters, what do you think the other Four franchises are?
Here are my predictions:

Xenoblade with Elma
Street Fighter with Ken
Sonic with Shadow
Punch-Out with another boxer (Likely Glass Joe)
Xenoblade with Elma
Sonic with Shadow
Zelda with Tetra
Street Fighter with Ken/Sakura

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Y'know, I should visit GameFAQs. My food does taste pretty bland, after all.
Oh boy. You should. I just looked. It is so salty there, I was drowning. So many angry children. I am upset to an extent, but that is taking it to a whole new level. And even then, I am liking her more and more with each viewing and look. She was not the character I wanted, but she is one that we needed.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Oh boy. You should. I just looked. It is so salty there, I was drowning. So many angry children. I am upset to an extent, but that is taking it to a whole new level. And even then, I am liking her more and more with each viewing and look. She was not the character I wanted, but she is one that we needed.
And hey, there's nothing wrong with disliking or even hating Isabelle's inclusion. But some can be rather childish about it.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Welcome to Smashboards... where the members give more ****s about a reveal trailer rather than the actual character being revealed.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Goodness, if Sonic had four reps in total, I'd want the other three to be (in this order): Amy Rose, Cream the Rabbit, and Tails
What happened to Cream? She was everywhere in the early/ mid-2000's it seemed then just kinda disappeared from playable roles altogether. It was like a Main 5 for a little while: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Cream. Then Cream stays at home and now it's just the Main 4 again.

She pissed me off in Battle, tho. She's too OP.
I don't think its impossible to see a unique Tails and a clone Shadow.
I say Semi-clone because I assume Sakurai would probably stick with a Classic moveset with Tails like he did with Sonic for convenience sake.

As detailed in This Post, most of Sonic's moveset is from Fighters and reflects his Classic iteration (Sakurai does say that Sonic would play differently if based on his modern games in This Interview, scroll to Looking Back).

Tails in Fighters shares several moves with Sonic:

Windup Punch. (Forward Smash)

Horse Kick. (Forward tilt)

Umm... didn't feel like making new Sonic gifs.

Spin Attack and Spin Dive. (Spin Charge, Down Throw)

Also, Sonic's neutral air is the Air Spin which both Sonic and Tails share. They also share Scissor Punch.

And of course, Tails has his flying attacks like this one.

And could use tail attacks for his other attacks (last hit on the neutral jab, down air stuff like that) like from the Adventure and Advance games and Battle.

A Semi-clone moveset fits Tails like the gloves on his hands imo so I'm fine with it.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Quite agree with you there. Before the Online Service information got announced, there was a lot of hype. Now, there's a lot of outrage on Nintendo Switch board. It's like the community has divided.

It'll return to normal pretty soon!

People born on September 14th are the coolest, so that makes two of us! Happy birthday!
Well...Actually...My Big Sis was born on the same day... September 14th... But I'm shy so much to admit it...

Last edited:

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Can you imagine how salty the fans will be if they revealed Bandana Waddle Dee after the saltstorm of Isabelle???

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I always imagined a playable Tails would have some sort of projectile on side-B but would still have Sonic's down-B so you could still spin just worse than Sonic can. Otherwise I figure they'd be pretty independent.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
And hey, there's nothing wrong with disliking or even hating Isabelle's inclusion. But some can be rather childish about it.
Agreed. My main thing is, she is Cute. Which is something we needed. If Bandana dee does not make it, DLC maybe. And overall, she looks fun to play. I had no real interest in villager, but she looks adorable and I have some interest.

Also, this direct was perfect for her given the pent up Animal Crossing want from the community. I think it worked out well and most issues were with over hype.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agreed. My main thing is, she is Cute. Which is something we needed. If Bandana dee does not make it, DLC maybe. And overall, she looks fun to play. I had no real interest in villager, but she looks adorable and I have some interest.

Also, this direct was perfect for her given the pent up Animal Crossing want from the community. I think it worked out well and most issues were with over hype.
You're right, she's being cute is a good thing after the edgefest that was the previous trailers.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Welcome to Smashboards... where the members give more ****s about a reveal trailer rather than the actual character being revealed.
I don't see how the discussion of the trailer has any less merit then the random discussions that go on this board in general.

KMDP

Smash Legend
What happened to Cream? She was everywhere in the early/ mid-2000's it seemed then just kinda disappeared from playable roles altogether. It was like a Main 5 for a little while: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Cream. Then Cream stays at home and now it's just the Main 4 again.

She pissed me off in Battle, tho. She's too OP.
Cream stays home because she knows she can solve all the problems on her own with Cheese, and wants to let the others deal with the problems.
---
Something I thought about after I signed off last night: Isabelle's Boxing Ring title should be "Belle of the Brawl".

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
You're right, she's being cute is a good thing after the edgefest that was the previous trailers.
While I think she is very cute I wouldn't exactly call any of the previous trailers edgy, all of them had cute moments, king dedede laughing, luigi being scared, and ridley twirling mario's hat even

like that devil may cry remake from yrs ago or shadow the hedgehog or bomberman act zero... now thats edgy lol

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here's what I'm thinking going forward.

- Nothing else this month besides music posts
- Nothing in October
- Early November, a Robin-style video drop happens revealing Incineroar. Said video is accompanied by a Final Smash Direct announcement for later in November
- Final Smash Direct happens, Sakurai explains K. Rool, Isabelle, and Incineroar in-depth. He shows off Ken, Shadow, and maybe Impa as echoes. Spirits Mode is explained. Ends off with a Geno reveal as the final newcomer. May or may not tease a Spring Man DLC reveal a la Mewtwo in 50 Facts.
- Game releases

Just my thoughts.
After two months in a row with character reveals I can't see us going an entire month without news.

With Smash 4 from June - August we had a new character every month and then the game released in September. I could see the same here where from August - November we get at least one new character a month up until December.

Your prediction makes sense though, just move Inceniroar into October and add one more unique to the final direct. But that's just because I'm personally predicting 3 more unique :p.

Edit: Ooo 3 more unique and 4 more echoes that makes it 8 unique newcomers and 8 echo newcomers. I really love symmetry lol.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think Skull Kid might end up similar to Ridley in Smash 4. Skull Kid might end up being a boss or something.

I really want Ryu Hayabusa playable.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So what moves did we see from Isabelle?

USpecial: (Swing + Balloons)
NSpecial: (Pocket)
SSpecial: (Fishing Pole) - Why did they only show this in water? Can the cast length be controlled, and is the hitbox active when its returning, or only when its cast?
DSpecial: (Gyroid Mine) - Can this be set off manually or can she walk over it to launch it at enemies in the air?

NAir: (Pom Poms)

DAttack: (Pot slide)

SSmash: (Party popper)
USmash: (Stop Sign)
DSmash: (Water Bucket)

What else did we see?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm feeling 2 more smash directs rather than just one. I feel like we still have a lot to go through. Spirits mode will probably take a huge chunk of time. We haven't seen trophies. We haven't seen any of the stadium modes. We haven't seen event mode or all star mode. There's still more assist trophies and pokemon, especially returning ones we haven't seen. There's got to be some kind of stage builder we have yet to see. Hopefully we're getting the return of smash run too. Between that, any new characters, more final smash changes to be shown, and any other surprises, that would be one long ass smash direct if there's only one. I think we'll get one in October and another one in November.

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man had that CGI segment with Mr. Game and Watch, while the Miis had that amazing Iwata vs Reggie fight.
Isabelle's trailer clearly used assets from the new game, which is even more obvius when you consider that they used a very similar trailer for announcing Animal Crossing. I really doubt that the Smash team would have made the Toom Nook segment for Nintendo.
Pac-Man's was 5 seconds of CG and as for the Miis, the point is that hers didn't use CG which the Miis didn't either.
Her trailer was deliberately made to look like AC. It was an artistic choice, not out of a lack of budget or timr.
We don't know everything about Isabelle yet.

Is her fishing pole a side B or a grab tho?
Side B, we see her Net grab in her character video

MainJPW

M.T.A
I always imagined a playable Tails would have some sort of projectile on side-B but would still have Sonic's down-B so you could still spin just worse than Sonic can. Otherwise I figure they'd be pretty independent.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Give him his arm cannon "Energy Ball" from Battle.

It's perfect. Sakurai has shown to take moves from Battle. Sonic's Dair is Shadow's air attack from Battle:

Knuckles' Assist Trophy uses Major Eruption from Battle:

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
isabellealts.png
Here's Isabelle's alts that we know of so far. It seems reasonable to assume that she'll have four that resemble her Summer outfit, and another four that resemble her Winter outfit. Out of what we've seen thus far, the pink and purple Summer outfit is my favorite.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Isaac is honestly more suited to a Smash direct, so him not being revealed in this direct doesn't exactly disconfirm him.
Yeah I expected a more general appeal character to be revealed in the direct, rather than a character with more hardcore appeal (though I thought it would have been the new pokemon).

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
View attachment 164140
Here's Isabelle's alts that we know of so far. It seems reasonable to assume that she'll have four that resemble her Summer outfit, and another four that resemble her Winter outfit. Out of what we've seen thus far, the pink and purple Summer outfit is my favorite.
Are all of those directly based off of her other outfits?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Isaac is honestly more suited to a Smash direct, so him not being revealed in this direct doesn't exactly disconfirm him.
I honestly Don't Expect Isaac To Be The game. We know our final stage count and it would be weird to have a character without a stage (This isn't the Melee Days anymore)
Edit: Oh boy, Imma Get a lot of angry people chasing after me, just because I have a different opinion than everyone else...

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Are all of those directly based off of her other outfits?
It doesn't seem that way, especially since her Holiday outfits in Animal Crossing: New Leaf are all radically different from her seasonal garb. Her casual outfit seen in Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer as well as Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo features a pink and white shirt, but it's still very different from her pink alt in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom