• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I said this in another topic but my problem isn't that Isabelle is in the game. My problem is how unique they made her while other characters like Dark Samus who has tons of moveset potential are made an echo. Yeah I know Isabelle is more popular but dangit it just seems odd. Isabelle has no moves to pull from and many Isabelle supporters seemed fine with the idea of her being an echo fighter.

In a way, I kind of feel like they wasted a lot of time and effort on her when they could have done something simple and most people would be okay with it.
The difference is that FE got a lot of characters in Smash 4 and Metroid just got Ridley. If AC wasn't going to get anything besides Isabelle, then that might have encouraged Sakurai to give her a little more flare.

I mean, I don't disagree with you on DS. She had a lot more potential than being a near carbon-copy Echo. I just think the decision to make Isabelle a semi-clone (if that's what we can call her) was understandable.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The Isabelle hate is simple.

(1) Ridley gets revealed.
(2) K. Rool gets revealed.
(3) "OMG literally all of the unique newcomers will be ballot winners! Who's next!? Geno or Isaac!?"
(4) Isabelle gets revealed.
(5) "You serious Sakurai!? That's not the character I expected! No one talked about her online wanted her!! Bad decision!"
Sakurai betrayed us, what a hack!:troll:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
No matter what they would do with Ken, it'd be easy for them to make simply because they can base Ken on Ryu.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
There's no doubt about that.

But if the DLC were to get expanded upon big time then I can easily see SF being the next contender for a 2nd unique newcomer.
I'd rather see another Capcom character instead like Phoniex Wright, Amaterasu or Dante.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The difference is that FE got a lot of characters in Smash 4 and Metroid just got Ridley. If AC wasn't going to get anything besides Isabelle, then that might have encouraged Sakurai to give her a little more flare.

I mean, I don't disagree with you on DS. She had a lot more potential than being a near carbon-copy Echo. I just think the decision to make Isabelle a semi-clone (if that's what we can call her) was understandable.
I'm just saying, in a game where echoes are a prominent thing, why not make Isabelle one of them? If this was Smash Wii U? Sure why not. But a lot of characters are turning out to be echoes because they want to churn out as many characters as possible with a limited time. The way I see it. Focusing so much time on Isabelle seems like a waste when some of that time could have been used to make... I don't know 2 more echoes.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So, question; If we got another Metroid newcomer for whatever reason, who would you rather have, Rundas or Sylux?

Personally, either would be cool but god damn do I want Rundas

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
D

Deleted member

Dark Samus wouldn't have happened if she wasn't an Echo. It wasn't a matter of "why did they make her an Echo instead of an unique?", it was "why leave her out when she can be an Echo?"
My prediction was that she'd be attached to an AC announcement in some way. Then I kept trying to extend that by trying to predict the layout of the damn direct which was silly of me, haha, But wrong order or not I got the semantics in my official quoted prediction in my sig right at least.

Also, yeah, I was gonna tag you but I didn't wanna risk making it seem like I was trying to be a jerk again haha
Nah, I don't mind being told "I told you so". Gotta own up to what I got wrong :p

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Wait, people hated Isabelle's trailer?

I can see why people would dislike it for not using the normal 3D animation, but I thought it was pretty clever. It's not the typical action and fighting scenes that we're used to, but that's because AC doesn't encompass any of that. It's a laid back slice-of-life franchise that focuses on simple things. Introducing Isabelle by having her beat the crap out of other fighters is completely out of character for her and ignores that innocent, friendly tone the franchise is known for.

Seeing Isabelle shuffle around the office and communicate to the viewers through those traditional AC text boxes made me smile. It's not my favorite reveal trailer, but I love how they still had us questioning what we were watching even though we saw Isabelle as soon as the trailer started.
The only thing I didn't like about it was that it namedropped Smash too early. The fake out would have been much better.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think a big problem with the trailer is actually that literally the first move they show her do is the dash attack, which is taken from Villager, which rightfully makes people think "Oh, Villager clone/semiclone/echo/whatever". Those first impressions of a character in action do matter when its a trailer and you cant play the game/character yourself to know the rest of the moves, so those first impressions stick with a lot of people that weren't too excited over Isabelle to begin with. I get that she's supposed to be clumsy or carefree or whatever, but they could've effectively got that message across in a million other ways.

But enough blabbering from me. I think Dixie is gonna be her own fighter now and I gotta change all of my predictions.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Dark Samus wouldn't have happened if she wasn't an Echo. It wasn't a matter of "why did they make her an Echo instead of an unique?", it was "why leave her out when she can be an Echo?"

Nah, I don't mind being told "I told you so". Gotta own up to what I got wrong :p
There's always someone whenever I make my particular predictions that tells me "nah that can't happen" and then it happens haha
It'll happen again too, probably, where I make a "controversial" prediction and people say "but there's a pattern/no pattern/ it breaks this rule we came up with". The benefits of this thread.

Mad respect for you owning up to that though haha I was totally gonna let it slide. I distinctly remember letting it slide for someone else, and then someone brought up them being totally wrong and it threw them into a temper tantrum hahaha

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It's more about movement and such, Dracula is still a big immobile boss who's every movement is telegraphed, Skull Kid on the other hand is smaller than most of the characters and would look very unnatural just standing still and not flinching while you beat the snot out of him, he would only make sense if he were to dart around the room and be highly mobile, but with such a small character that becomes a huge pain and an awful boss fight at its very core.
In my personal experience I completely and wholeheartdly disagree with this seeing as when designed decently small yet mobile bosses are one of the best boss battles ive fought in a myriad of different plataformers.

Hornet from hollowknight gotta be the most fun boss of the whole game, same with Albus in order of ecclessia (and that game was full to the brim with fun bosses) The Pardoner was actually the only boss that left me an impression on Momodora. Keeping with metroidvanias, J. battle in Aria of Sorrow was a high point on the game, and Richter battle in SoTn was the only battle that wasn't a slogfest, maybe along Gaibon and Slogra, and ironically, the doppelganger. the only thing you need to take into ocnsideration are the player character mobility options.

not saying that Skull kid is a boss. but saying that character sized and mobile bosses are inherently bad design or awful boss fights, I disagree.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Remember when people thought we'd get no more newer Nintendo characters?
I admit, I was really pessimistic about it but boy, am I happy to be wrong. This means nothing stops characters like Bandana Dee or Elma (except not being derived from another fighter).

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I actually love Isabelle's semi-clone status, more than I would unique or echo, even! It has familiarity with a hearty splash of changes.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Something else that occurred to me that's another Smash 4 Mii Costume turned fighter

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I admit, I was really pessimistic about it but boy, am I happy to be wrong. This means nothing stops characters like Bandana Dee or Elma (except not being derived from another fighter).
Bandana Waddle Dee is not a new character. He debuted in Kirby Super Star (1996) in the Megaton Punch sub-game.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think a big problem with the trailer is actually that literally the first move they show her do is the dash attack, which is taken from Villager, which rightfully makes people think "Oh, Villager clone/semiclone/echo/whatever". Those first impressions of a character in action do matter when its a trailer and you cant play the game/character yourself to know the rest of the moves, so those first impressions stick with a lot of people that weren't too excited over Isabelle to begin with. I get that she's supposed to be clumsy or carefree or whatever, but they could've effectively got that message across in a million other ways.

But enough blabbering from me. I think Dixie is gonna be her own fighter now and I gotta change all of my predictions.
People thought Wolf can do nothing different from Fox because they both had Landmasters.

Honestly, I don't know why it matters. If people aren't interested in Isabelle, a few moves won't change their minds.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bandana Waddle Dee is not a new character. He debuted in Kirby Super Star (1996) in the Megaton Punch sub-game.
His popularity is, though, for most people. If I recall correctly, he only started becoming playable in Kirby games last decade, which is last week for Smash fans.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
I am salty.

They didn't announce a smash demo.

Monsters
The game releases in just under three months.
Still, that's probably too much time before a demo. I'd expect a demo to release after they reveal all, or most, of the characters.
Maybe mid-November?

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Has anyone else noticed that we haven’t had any new Samus footage? I seem to remember her being the newcomer punching bag in Sm4sh.

#REDESIGNSCONFIRMED
#CLUTCHINGATSTRAWS

;)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So, apparently, Yoshi’s down-B goes through platforms now.

Zinith Zinith did you know about this? I don’t play Yoshi, but that seems like it could be useful.

I wonder if the same is true for Bowser.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i think the trailer disappointment stems from people wanting another epic cg trailer and they forget even in smash 4 they did plenty of more chill trailers (rosa and wii fit trainer come to mind)
besides if Isabelle was in epic combat in a cg trailer... thats just not her.

final predictions: elma, inecineroar, ken (semi clone)

this support for ammy confuses me as most people on this forum only support characters of games they have played. okami has sold less than 600,000 total units. im not sure if we have some marvel 3 fans here or what it is but she is a random choice of support.

also i need some clarification on skullkid. as a character people like him. but his role is only enhanced BECAUSE of the mask right? he's normally a generic enemy that shows up right? Or is this a unique skullkid people support from one game? I've always thought it was the mask that made skullkid significant not the other way around.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Has anyone else noticed that we haven’t had any new Samus footage? I seem to remember her being the newcomer punching bag in Sm4sh.

#REDESIGNSCONFIRMED
#CLUTCHINGATSTRAWS

;)
Well..

The roster consists of 60+ characters so it's not that weird to see some make more of an appearance than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom