• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Yes, they were supposed to play off of each other. But were they supposed to be back to back? I doubt it.
There was an uncomfortably long break between the announcements. The level of sameness between the two pieces was off putting to anyone not a fan of the series. And lets not forget that we had to be told to watch until the end. *That is not the well crafted technique of Nintendo.
I've literally not heard anyone else say the announcement was ill-constructed or not well-crafted. This direct was always going to put out the AC stuff. Again, this is an overall Nintendo Direct, not a Smash one. The blending between the reveals were great, and had a double fake out. "Isabelle in Smash? Oh wait, no it's Animal Crossing! Oh wait she is in Smash! Oh wait Tom Nook is watching the reveal? Is he getting in too?! Oh wait it actually is Animal Crossing!"

Animal Crossing is a big deal. Smash already has mountains of hype and support, now Nintendo needs to start on the AC hype. That was the intended send-off to the Direct. They likely didnt want Smash to overshadow things like at E3, which many fans were upset about. Smash got its moment, AC got its hype, and a lot of properties got a lot of love. This was pretty clearly the original direct and it was well-done imo. I really think Nintendo just wanted to be respectful.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Someone on 4chan posted that image of the video about online service and it was on Youtube. The image had like, 6.3k dislikes. I was laughing at the OP unill I went to the Youtube and to Nintendo video...
Screenshot_447.png

What in the? HOW and WHY in the WORLD did this happen? No way!!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Shadow is significant, BUT Tails and Eggman just matter more.

Like at this point if Sonic got 4 reps it wouldn't even be weird.
Goodness, if Sonic had four reps in total, I'd want the other three to be (in this order): Amy Rose, Cream the Rabbit, and Tails

Pakky

Smash Hero
Isabelle. It feels to me more like a checkmark on a necessary list. Which is how Ridley, K Rool, and Inkling were, but this one was just a smirk to me.
Animal Crossing is a feel-good game. I'm happy to see the playable puppy.
Also, of course. She is our second Dog character!
I want more. I want so. Many. More.

Aroof!
Poochy, please!

Also do you feed
'Fancy Feast'?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm just gonna share my take on the Isabelle trailer.

It's awful.

I don't mind her being in Smash. I really don't. But her trailer is objectively horrible.

Think about it this way; that trailer was supposed to be a trailer for a fighting game, yet the first half was just talking and the gameplay half was mostly taunts and other animations.

In other words, it barely had any action. And a fighting game trailer without action is like a sandwich without bread; it just doesn't make sense to not have it because it's literally what makes it what it is.

Isabelle is by far the worst Smash trailer ever, even by removing as much subjectivity as possible, simply because she was presented in the most boring way possible and I think that really hurt the overall reception, given that she was the only newcomer reveal.
Even after sleeping on the whole thing, I just can't bring myself to like that trailer so my view from last night on the matter is still consistent. I'm fine with Isabelle but I won't defend that trailer lol

I have a question. What is the purpose of reaction videos? Why is etika so dramatic?

I would be interested to see him reacting to normal things
I'm not really sure how legitimate his reactions are. It seems unnaturally over the top and I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly an act of some sort. I enjoy watching people's legitimate reactions to things such as trailers, there is a certain charm to it. However, only if the reaction actually appears legitimate. I'm sorry but most people do not jump around like a lunatic or shout a the top of their lungs everytime something remotely exciting happens.

I was thinking the same thing about VIII; I had also been wondering recently why it was the only one so far to not get the 'update' treatment with a speed-up function and Trophy Support for PS4. All the recent ones that were updated and brought there are now on Switch. If I didn't already have all of them on PS4, I'd get one or two of them on Switch lol.

I'm wondering if they just lost the original data to VIII or something; because why skip it? The speedup function is so helpful for Grinding and would love it for another go through of VIII.
Final Fantasy 8 was far more polarizing then 7, 9, or even 10. It's not surprising to me that SquareEnix would drag their feet on 8 as it probably not as much of a guarantee as other entrees in the series.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm going to throw out my expectations going forward here. I think most people have severely overestimated how much remaining content there is here. I think we have one more major Smash direct that will show the "Spirits" mode (or whatever it ends up being), and I expect a pair of newcomers with it. I expect 2-3 more echo fighters as well, and honestly, I think that's all we're getting at launch. All of those characters, incidentally, will be from series we already have so the 103 stages we have are, as Sakurai already made clear but some people just didn't want to hear it, all of the stages in the game.

If I were going to just pick characters I think would fit, my picks would be Incineroar and Geno for uniques and while echo fighters really don't matter I expect largely mainstream ones like Shadow/Ken/Impa or whatever (Proto Man not even out of the question if he swaps roles with Mega Man in the final smash, honestly) since I see echo fighters as basically "this would be a bad character to include but people want it so we'll do it this way". Lots of variation is possible obviously; Pokemon can be switched out pretty easily, and someone like Tails totally works if Square really is that impossible to work with. I also think there is going to be an absolute mountain of DLC before this is all done so if your favorite character doesn't get in you'll have lots of second chances.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've literally not heard anyone else say the announcement was ill-constructed or not well-crafted. This direct was always going to put out the AC stuff. Again, this is an overall Nintendo Direct, not a Smash one. The blending between the reveals were great, and had a double fake out. "Isabelle in Smash? Oh wait, no it's Animal Crossing! Oh wait she is in Smash! Oh wait Tom Nook is watching the reveal? Is he getting in too?! Oh wait it actually is Animal Crossing!"

Animal Crossing is a big deal. Smash already has mountains of hype and support, now Nintendo needs to start on the AC hype. That was the intended send-off to the Direct. They likely didnt want Smash to overshadow things like at E3, which many fans were upset about. Smash got its moment, AC got its hype, and a lot of properties and got a lot of love. This was pretty clearly the original direct and it was well-done imo. I really think Nintendo just wanted to be respectful.
You don't need other people to say it wasn't well crafted. Nintendo said it themselves. They had to tell us to 'wait til the end.'
Not only does that show it was not a fakeout (as we were told to wait for the 'fake out,') but it is Nintendo admitting that they did not craft it in a way to let you know to stay until the end.

In art there is a power in the idea of show, not tell. And them telling us what to do ruined the power of the end of the direct, because it was just not well crafted enough at the end to show us to stay until the end.
They knew it was not made to their level.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... What is everyone's final Character Predictions?
Here's Mine:

Inicneroar 69
Elma 70
Ken 60E
Shadow 38E
Geno 71

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Isabelle's fanbase isn't in the west.

That's what some people are forgetting.

I mean we exist, but much like Lucas we aren't as large.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I agree, I don’t think Skullkid is going to be a boss either, I was mainly pointing out that at least with Dracula, the boss fight seem to be more dynamic than before, having weak points and transformations.
I hate to burst your bubble but Skull Kid/Majora does have transformations in the final boss fight.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
So...Anyone else slightly disappointed with not knowing when the next direct will be?

I didn't even expect a character reveal tbh, but I did expect them to drop a date for another all-about-Smash direct. Really hope that date gets shown eventually, or we get another surprise announcement at a Smash tournament. That was awesome.

D

Deleted member

Someone on 4chan posted that image of the video about online service and it was on Youtube. The image had like, 6.3k dislikes. I was laughing at the OP unill I went to the Youtube and to Nintendo video...
View attachment 164133
Damn. We're about be in the salt mines for a couple of weeks at this rate.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
View attachment 164133
Because the online service is terrible. Don't be so ignorant.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Only played animal crossing on the DS and this guy called mr resetti made sure I never touched the series again.

I'll just never understand the appeal of real life simulator video games.
Funny, Mr. Resetti being scary to new and younger players is what reduced his role to the one in New Leaf in the first place. But the appeal of Animal Crossing and other real life simulator videogames is that it's such a refreshing genre. Sure, in most videogames you're either running around and going on a grand adventure or you're usually killing somebody or something, but in Animal Crossing? It's just a peaceful little game where you go around talking to neighbors and enjoying a simple, yet invigorating life. It's what the real world could be, but currently isn't, with all these politics and religion dividing up the human race, wars going on, diseases killing millions by the number... Animal Crossing lets you live out the fantasy where everything is just... perfect. That's what I like about it. Maybe I'm looking into this too deep, but I don't think I've entirely missed the mark.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

It's awful.

I don't mind her being in Smash. I really don't. But her trailer is objectively horrible.

Think about it this way; that trailer was supposed to be a trailer for a fighting game, yet the first half was just talking and the gameplay half was mostly taunts and other animations.

In other words, it barely had any action. And a fighting game trailer without action is like a sandwich without bread; it just doesn't make sense to not have it because it's literally what makes it what it is.

Isabelle is by far the worst Smash trailer ever, even by removing as much subjectivity as possible, simply because she was presented in the most boring way possible and I think that really hurt the overall reception, given that she was the only newcomer reveal.
I agree with you. It wasn't a very good reveal, and wasn't action-packed like all the others. But then again, it's Isabelle. She's not made for action. The trailer wasn't good, but it was fitting for her character

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Because the online service is terrible. Don't be so ignorant.
How do you explain this then:
>Microsoft and Sony does paid online
>nobody cares much
>Nintendo does the same
>Chaos ensures

Basically how can Sony and Microsofts fan be cool, but when it's about Nintendo they go crazy and in chaos?!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How many newcomers not counting echo fighters do you think we have left? Sticking with 2-3.
I'm going with 3, one more next month and two in the inevitable November Direct. No idea about echoes, I'm certain about Ken and Shadow, so that's at least two more, but we could still get more than that.

So basically:

69. Incineroar
70. Dixie/Skull Kid/Isaac/Bandana Dee/Who the **** knows
71. Geno

38ε. Shadow
60ε. Ken

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I now expect 5-6 more newcomers (echoes included)

D

Deleted member

>nobody cares much
>Nintendo does the same
>Chaos ensures

Basically how can Sony and Microsofts fan be cool, but when it's about Nintendo they go crazy and in chaos?!
Because Nintendo's online is terrible. Sure it's cheaper but it provides much less than its competitors.
Also, NES games are nowhere near on the same oevel of providing full-priced games for free on a monthly basis.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Good morning, my dudes.
Has everyone untangled themselves from the Isabelle war or is it still super unnecessarily going on

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think that the Isabelle reveal trailer complaints are largely exaggerated due to the fact that it was on its own. If someone else was revealed as well I'd wager no one would really be criticizing it. The degree of it is also perhaps enlarged because the delay caused everyone to lose their minds. This thread was literally "Are we there yet?" except worse because no one in here is even driving lmao.

I say largely though, because I too think it could have been executed better. I'm fine with talking, walking. It provides a build up of anticipation, the "drop" so to speak, but when she saw the letter she just suddenly twirled around anti-climactically and the gameplay started.

That being said, the reveals in themselves aren't really important. While the trailers for say, Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool are amazing. Legendary moments for sure. But when we get our hands on the game I'm not going to be thinking about these things but rather the gameplay and content. And Isabelle is fine content.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
>nobody cares much
>Nintendo does the same
>Chaos ensures

This is Nintendo's first online service. Cloud storage is already ****ed up.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wait, people hated Isabelle's trailer?

I can see why people would dislike it for not using the normal 3D animation, but I thought it was pretty clever. It's not the typical action and fighting scenes that we're used to, but that's because AC doesn't encompass any of that. It's a laid back slice-of-life franchise that focuses on simple things. Introducing Isabelle by having her beat the crap out of other fighters is completely out of character for her and ignores that innocent, friendly tone the franchise is known for.

Seeing Isabelle shuffle around the office and communicate to the viewers through those traditional AC text boxes made me smile. It's not my favorite reveal trailer, but I love how they still had us questioning what we were watching even though we saw Isabelle as soon as the trailer started.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

It's awful.

*peeks in*

Just wanna say you aren’t removing all subjectivity. I thought the trailer was great and very tasteful to Isabelle’s character. They didn’t have a ton of action because it was supposed to show how peaceful the Animal Crossing world is and it was there to tease Animal Crossing fans unril the end.

A youtuber I watched said it better than I could: The trailer was more about keeping the Animal Crossing fans watching, while showing off Smash stuff, so they could hit them with the big reveal at the end.

Anyway, happy to see one of my most wanteds actually get in. She looks amazing, too. Her grab game will be interesting to say the least and the Llyoid mine looks dirty.

EDIT: apparently, this was like 10 pages ago....welp.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm expecting to find out that Isabelle was a promoted Echo similar to Wolf because between her moveset and her reveal trailer she was incredibly underwhelming. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case because it looked like in-engine footage rather than high quality pre-rendered stuff.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
>nobody cares much
>Nintendo does the same
>Chaos ensures

Because Sony gives you worthwhile games every so often?

Because the discounts provided by PS+ are actually substantial?

Literally the one thing Nintendo's got going for them is the price.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
While I'm not too crazy about the offerings of Nintendo Switch Online, its price point will have me buying it. Less content for less money does make sense, after all.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
You don't need other people to say it wasn't well crafted. Nintendo said it themselves. They had to tell us to 'wait til the end.'
Not only does that show it was not a fakeout (as we were told to wait for the 'fake out,') but it is Nintendo admitting that they did not craft it in a way to let you know to stay until the end.

In art there is a power in the idea of show, not tell. And them telling us what to do ruined the power of the end of the direct, because it was just not well crafted enough at the end to show us to stay until the end.
They knew it was not made to their level.
From most reactions I've seen, and from my own personal one, them saying "wait till the end" got me on the edge of my seat. It got me even more hyped for what was coming. It's like if you're about to see a movie or do something, and your friend says "dude you're gonna love this" or "wait till you see/hear this". It gets you hyped and excited. It's conversational and it's actually good "story-telling". It foreshadows to you that what's coming up will really knock your socks off. For Isabelle and AC fans, I am sure it did.

One commonly used marketing phrase and conversational pattern doesn't mean something was poorly done or constructed. If Nintendo allegedly knew something was bad with the direct, you don't think they would take the time to polish it out. Really? The same company that delayed Brawl like four times to polish it up and make sure they had it how they wanted. Nintendo is all about polish. Let alone them having the delay to iron it out if they wanted to. It was intentional, and hardly a bad thing at all. I barely even noticed it or thought about it, other than it getting me even more focused and on the edge of my seat.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I personally enjoyed Isabelle's trailer. Fits right in with how Animal Crossing is and is a good representation of Isabelle's character and origin.

My only complaint is that the beginning kinda dragged on for a bit. But whatever, past is in the past.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Wait, people hated Isabelle's trailer?

I can see why people would dislike it for not using the normal 3D animation, but I thought it was pretty clever. It's not the typical action and fighting scenes that we're used to, but that's because AC doesn't encompass any of that. It's a laid back slice-of-life franchise that focuses on simple things. Introducing Isabelle by having her beat the crap out of other fighters is completely out of character for her and ignores that innocent, friendly tone the franchise is known for.

Seeing Isabelle shuffle around the office and communicate to the viewers through those traditional AC text boxes made me smile. It's not my favorite reveal trailer, but I love how they still had us questioning what we were watching even though we saw Isabelle as soon as the trailer started.
I'm pretty sure it's running on the new Animal Crossing engine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom