• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Going to give some of my thoughts on the Direct:

• Very surprised to see Final Fantasy VII, XI, X & X-2 and XII Zodiac Edition coming out for the Switch. Still strange that VIII had been skipped.
I was thinking the same thing about VIII; I had also been wondering recently why it was the only one so far to not get the 'update' treatment with a speed-up function and Trophy Support for PS4. All the recent ones that were updated and brought there are now on Switch. If I didn't already have all of them on PS4, I'd get one or two of them on Switch lol.

I'm wondering if they just lost the original data to VIII or something; because why skip it? The speedup function is so helpful for Grinding and would love it for another go through of VIII.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
The “controversial” character thing is slightly inaccurate. He was talking about the Pokemon, and the reason he didn’t say anything was due to disagreement among his sources as to who it was.
How do you know that? and don't start with the Gothitelle bs :laugh:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Android 21 is probably the only possible character we can get out of the Dragon Ball franchise. And even then, I'd like to think of her inclusion as unlikely. Not impossible, but just unlikely. Really unlikely.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think when Vergeben was talking about "controversial" characters he was talking about the gen 7 rep.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think when Vergeben was talking about "controversial" characters he was talking about the gen 7 rep.
Oh yeah, now I understand what you and Tougon mean. I thought it was controversial in the sense of "something that would implode the world in a negative way" or "something that is unwelcomed". Yeah the pokemon thing could be the case, true.

D

Deleted member

Android 21 is probably the only possible character we can get out of the Dragon Ball franchise. And even then, I'd like to think of her inclusion as unlikely. Not impossible, but just unlikely. Really unlikely.
I’m not an expert on Dragon Ball, but I doubt 21 is the only game exclusive character in the entire series.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I was thinking the same thing about VIII; I had also been wondering recently why it was the only one so far to not get the 'update' treatment with a speed-up function and Trophy Support for PS4. All the recent ones that were updated and brought there are now on Switch. If I didn't already have all of them on PS4, I'd get one or two of them on Switch lol.

I'm wondering if they just lost the original data to VIII or something; because why skip it? The speedup function is so helpful for Grinding and would love it for another go through of VIII.
Some people are saying they haven't rereleased FF VIII because of rights problems with it's main vocal theme "Eyes on Me".

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I’m not an expert on Dragon Ball, but I doubt 21 is the only game exclusive character in the entire series.
There's Gokule - a hypothetical fusion between Goku and Hercule:

Close enough.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Oh, I just remembered something else that Vergeben said at one point, and that is that there is a newcomer that he didn't wanna say who it is because is a "controversial" character. Good god I hope it isn't Goku..
Could be Lara Croft... She's owned by Square Now, Ya Know.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
The “controversial” character thing is slightly inaccurate. He was talking about the Pokemon, and the reason he didn’t say anything was due to disagreement among his sources as to who it was.

That said, we’re so close to this game being the official version of Crusade, and it makes me really want Goku in now.
Smash Bros Crusade, right? The last version was 0.9.1.1 and it's years ago.

But that game is so fun....!!

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
After thinking it over, I realized that Isabelle being a non-echo to the surprise of many means something important to me: Shadow could have the potential to be unique if he gets in Smash. However, since I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, I'm tempering my expectations, as usual. Either way, I'm still fine with him being an echo, looking at Chrom compared to Roy.

(Just let me dream, guys.)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Come to think of it, there IS the customizable player fighters from Xenoverse 1 and 2. But I still feel that 21 has the best chances out of anyone else. She's a pretty well-liked character, I think.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
After thinking it over, I realized that Isabelle being a non-echo to the surprise of many means something important to me: Shadow could have the potential to be unique if he gets in Smash. However, since I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, I'm tempering my expectations, as usual. Either way, I'm still fine with him being an echo, looking at Chrom compared to Roy.

(Just let me dream, guys.)
I'd rather have Shadow as an echo and Tails as a semi-clone if it means getting both of 'em

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
There's just random crowns laying around that turn Toadette and only Toadette into an near exact copy of Peach named "Peachette". So can Toads evolve into humans if they have the appropriate headgear? Is that why it's not until Super Mario Odyssey that they know about hats? Peach is keeping it from them to prevent a rival to challenge her. It can't be that Peach herself is just a mature Toad with a power-up because Baby Peach exists as a character.

"oh but in mario 64 ds there were the caps lool" OK, my answer to that is that I don't really care, and those did not turn Yoshi or Mario into some weird hybrid like Yoshario or Mwario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Bros Crusade, right? The last version was 0.9.1.1 and it's years ago.

But that game is so fun....!!
It’s a shame that game is the only way I’ll ever be able to play as Tingle in Smash. It cancels out though. The Crusade team only wanted to include all veterans from Brawl and back, and it’s unknown if they’re going to include the Smash 4 characters (that weren’t already in the game).

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
There's just random crowns laying around that turn Toadette and only Toadette into an near exact copy of Peach named "Peachette". So can Toads evolve into humans if they have the appropriate headgear? Is that why it's not until Super Mario Odyssey that they know about hats? Peach is keeping it from them to prevent a rival to challenge her. It can't be that Peach herself is just a mature Toad with a power-up because Baby Peach exists as a character.

"oh but in mario 64 ds there were the caps lool" OK, my answer to that is that I don't really care, and those did not turn Yoshi or Mario into some weird hybrid like Yoshario or Mwario.
Peach was called Princess Toadstool before...

HMMMMMMM........... You may be on to something here.

D

Deleted member

Peach was called Princess Toadstool before...

HMMMMMMM........... You may be on to something here.
But hey, that’s just a theerie. A GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME THEERIE

THANKS FOR WATCHING.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
There's Gokule - a hypothetical fusion between Goku and Hercule:

Close enough.
So I know nothing about DragonBall, so when I saw “Hercule” I thought you were referring to Hercules of Greek mythology.

And I thought at some point, Goku might have fused with him somehow, and was really confused.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

You know, Irene kept saying that Mario had no established canon, and I never quite believed her UNTIL that Direct. They're just making **** up!!! :yoshi:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ken is the original echo fighter. I highly doubt he will be a unique fighter.
Except Verg doesn't seem to know anything about echoes. The fact that Isabelle isn't makes me think if his list is right Ken is a semi-clone.

Why on Earth Sakurai would do that idk...
Oh, I just remembered something else that Vergeben said at one point, and that is that there is a newcomer that he didn't wanna say who it is because is a "controversial" character. Good god I hope it isn't Goku..
Let's not start this again. That was reffering to the Pokemon newcomer, which btw I still call bull on. Vergeben knows exactly everyone else but he's vauge on both the Pokemon and SE rep? Seems weird.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It’s a shame that game is the only way I’ll ever be able to play as Tingle in Smash. It cancels out though. The Crusade team only wanted to include all veterans from Brawl and back, and it’s unknown if they’re going to include the Smash 4 characters (that weren’t already in the game).
I'm okay with Tingle being in the game but it's kinda weird they didn't add Zelda before... or after.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Continuing the trend of my ask you guys a boatload of questions, what are favorite games from some of you're favorite series?
There are a load of series I haven’t even played, so my list is gonna be pretty short...

Biggest Nintendo franchise I’m into is Zelda, and it’s tough to say which is my favorite. Ocarina was the groundbreaker of its time, but despite still holding up in a lot of ways it’s not without its shallow characters. Twilight Princess is much better in that regard: I love the setting of TP, I love the more realistic look, and the characters were great. Breath of the Wild was also phenomenal, but it feels more like a western RPG than a Zelda game.

Pokémon is another series I’m really familiar with, but it’s been getting repetitive lately. Gen 1 was great, I adored Gen 2, and then Gen 3 turned me off by cutting Arcanine. Each gen comes and goes, but the situations are getting more and more out there at this point: you’re not against the mafia, you’re alone against Thanos. You’re not just training, you’re the chosen one with three legendaries before the elite four. I think it’s just gotten too convenient lately, and I’d prefer the legendary post-game to stay after the elite four. Also, if the evil teams are that bad, why is no one else trying to stop them? I also am getting tired of super friendly rivals. And stop removing features from one game to the next, particularly if you’re having someone with a gimmicky evolution that requires it! Day/night cycles and walking Pokémon should never have left after being introduced.

My favorite for Pokémon was Crystal. I never even picked up gen 7, but I am looking forward to Let’s Go strictly for the nostalgia factor (and riding Arcanine). The one thing I moss most though is Pokémon Stadium - Battle Revolution looked great, but without the rental Pokémon feature it was relatively worthless on its own. Also, Stadium came with the minigames and, in the case of 2, the school.

Really, the other Nintendo series for me are all just there. I recognize a lot of their importance, but they’re just not my cup of tea. I get bored easily with platformers, especially “collect all of the things” style platformers, and I favor the western open-world RPGs over anime-style JRPGs. Doesn’t mean I’m against them in Smash though; I tend to favor the non-Marth Fire Emblems just because I like the movesets, and I do love some of the more off-the-wall characters like Duck Hunt (not all of them though)

Outside of Nintendo though, give me my open-world RPGs. Bethesda can do no wrong with the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, so I’m really excited to see where TES6 is gonna go. It will hurt a bit to leave Skyrim since, while it definitely has its flaws and I preferred the harder ‘actually have character attributes and weapon degradation’ games, I absolutely love the aesthetic of that game.

My guilty pleasure though: fighting games. I love Soul Calibur, but that’s been trash since SC3. I hope the next one is gonna be good so the series doesn’t die (sidenote, Namco leaked their own character so when is his official announcement coming?). Also Mortal Kombat since it’s ridiculous and over the top, and kinda funny in a way. Not that I’m good at fighting games at all, but they are definitely entertaining.

Untouch

Smash Master
So... Now that Loz18 Deleted his Twitter Account, Does that mean He's a Fraud?
Yeah, which is funny because the direct didn't even destroy his credibility, he even suggested that isabelle was going to get in. Maybe he was being harassed by people?

D

Deleted member

I'm okay with Tingle being in the game but it's kinda weird they didn't add Zelda before... or after.
Because Zelda (and Sheik) are “hard” to sprite. Back in the day, characters were added when sprite work on them had finished, and people worked on whatever characters they wanted to work on. It’s why even though the original plan was to have all Brawl and before vets, most of the important ones are still absent. Things may be different now though *shrugs*

There’s also the issue of re-doing almost half the cast because they are either bad, or aren’t in line with the current style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master
I still think we're getting a DOOM boss or AT.
Rathalos shows that we can get bosses without having characters in the series, and Shovel Knight shows that western characters aren't out of the realm of possibility.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I know it's a shame. But when is that game going to ever be updated? If it's never, what happened? I don't know the details :(

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Honestly I think his chances are even higher, Isabelle lent some credence to the AT and Costume theory, and Skull Kid fits both of those roles. He could be a boss though.
IDK, Pretty sure he's just a boss...
Also, Freaking out over chairs is my new favorite Smash Meme

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay, so does that mean Skull Kid's Chance are now extremely slim?
Skull Kid's chances were always the same. It's just that his support randomly picked up after the August Direct. Whether that's because of Loz18, the Moon, or the stupid chair theory, people began being more vocal with Skull Kid.

After watching the Direct, nothing has really changed for me. Another AT got in as a playable fighter, but we have one less spot for a unique character. People are feeling extremely confident in Geno and a Gen VII rep as well, so if we get one more suprise like Isabelle, I'd say Skull Kid is in for a tough fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom