• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Out of the five canine fighters (Lucario, Fox, Wolf, Duck Hunt Dog are the other four), Isabelle is the most cutest one IMO and will stay forever as the cutest fighter.

D

Deleted member

I just realized Fishing Pole is gonna be really busted if it works the way I think it does. First is the fact it can be used as an aerial grab, but not like Ganon's or Bowser's grabs, no, we've seen Isabelle throw opponents upwards and backwards, just think of what this means for edgeguarding.
Then there's the fact it seems to linger for a while, if Isabelle can just throw it offstage and wait for an opponent to touch it, she gets a grab all the way back from the safety of the stage and can throw them back offstage.
The only downside I see is that it'll likely leave her super open for attacks if it whiffs.
I mean Yoshi is cute and all but he has the ability to be cool as well unlike characters like Kirby and Isabelle.
>Kirby can't be cool
"KIRBY'S ****ING PISSED"

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I also like the fact that a previously introduced franchise is being expanded with a new fighter.

That makes Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem the only franchises not introduced in the original to have more then one character.

If you count echos this also applies to Castlevania.

So which franchises can we expect to get a similar treatment?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I’m seriously considering maining Isabelle solely because of how much it will be piss people off to have their **** kicked out of them by her.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I also like the fact that a previously introduced franchise is being expanded with a new fighter.

That makes Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem the only franchises not introduced in the original to have more then one character.

Street Fighter, almost certainly. I can taste Ken.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think the biggest backlash is going to be if Square gets a 2nd rep but not Geno.

I can imagine the sea of salt already.
Soooo, basically a regular sea:smirk: Even if its another SE newcomer than Geno I don't people would that mad, not with popular choices like Terra, Tifa, Lara Croft, and of course Sora.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'm not sure anyone noticed it yet, but in the reveal trailer at 0:02, Isabelle covers her skirt while falling down. Cannot believe anyone missed it.

Screenshot_446.png

She does this so that perverts won't look at her. We should protect her...

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I'm hoping they do an new animal crossing remix of one of K.K. Slider's songs, i'd be hyped if they give it vocals.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not sure anyone noticed it yet, but in the reveal trailer at 0:02, Isabelle covers her skirt while falling down. Cannot believe anyone missed it.

View attachment 164120
She does this also simply because it's very in character for her. Nice character detail in Sakurai's work.

I keep thinking about how she's confirmed now and I'm just all...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I’m seriously considering maining Isabelle solely because of how much it will be piss people off to have their **** kicked out of them by her.
...Yeah, that picture pretty much sums up how the other parts of the internet interpreted Isabelle's reveal.

But seriously, Isabelle has so much trolling potential. "How does it feel playing as Bayonetta and losing to a cutesy stuffed animal dog?"

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
"How does it feel to be beaten up by a cutesy dinosaur?"

"How does it feel to be beaten up by a pink puffball?"

"How does it feel to be beaten up by a tiny yellow mouse?"

I swear I've heard this before...

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

In my heart, I know Pikmin will one day join them. So will Phoenix Wright. I believe.

osby

Smash Obsessed
...Yeah, that picture pretty much sums up how the other parts of the internet interpreted Isabelle's reveal.

But seriously, Isabelle has so much trolling potential. "How does it feel playing as Bayonetta and losing to a cutesy stuffed animal dog?"
I'd said it before: Best thing about Isabelle in Smash is that now we can body people playing Ridley as her.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another detail I haven't seen being brought up that fundamentally changes things; Isabelle is the first significant enough character to completely defy the seniority "rule" (if that was even a thing in the first place) in terms of being a second series addition. Unlike other series, she managed to make it over older established AC characters like Tom Nook, Mr. Resetti and Redd.

This may lead to the possibility of some characters getting in before the others if they have enough overall popularity in the future (even if that hasn't helped the Ashley fanbase this time, my condolences to them).

Sonic, obviously. They're just a stone's throw away from having Tails in here.

Also, Punch-Out, but whether they do anything with that is debatable.

I've played a good portion of Kirby games and he just seems like a character that accidentally strolls into danger... he gets pissed at losing his food in one of the games, thats not cool thats cute.
Sure, he's not nearly as cool as Meta Knight but he has his moments.

Also, Squeak Squad is a goofy game anyway.

View attachment 164120
I saw that too. She's so adorably prude, considering how the princesses don't even try to cover up their dress bottoms.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

You think about the franchises not included in the original, but there's still 2 franchises (Yoshi and F-Zero) that still only have 1 fighter...

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
You think about the franchises not included in the original, but there's still 2 franchises (Yoshi and F-Zero) that still only have 1 fighter...
F-Zero I understand, but Yoshi is surprising at this point.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Going to give some of my thoughts on the Direct:

• I was actually very surprised about Luigi's Mansion getting a 3rd sequel.
  • Interesting to see how Game Freak's new game Town will do.
  • Very surprised to see Final Fantasy VII, XI, X & X-2 and XII Zodiac Edition coming out for the Switch. Still strange that VIII had been skipped.
  • As for the latest newcomer reveal for Ultimate, I wasn't too surprised that Isabelle who has become one of the main characters of the Animal Crossing franchise was going to in Smash. At the end I really thought that Tom Nook was going to be an echo fighter for Isabelle until they announced that the series is coming to Switch.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

I feel like taking a look at this picture is important given that now there are only two Nintendo Mii costumes unaccounted for. Also it's weird that there is no Shadow costume but there is a Tails one.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

• Very surprised to see Final Fantasy VII, XI, X & X-2 and XII Zodiac Edition coming out for the Switch. Still strange that VIII had been skipped.
  • As for the latest newcomer reveal for Ultimate, I wasn't too surprised that Isabelle who has become one of the main characters of the Animal Crossing franchise was going to in Smash. At the end I really thought that Tom Nook was going to be an echo fighter for Isabelle until they announced that the series is coming to Switch.
Final Fantasy VII isn't coming because they don't have the assets from the game any more, the only reason FFVI is coming is because a different (or shell) company had an old version of the game, this is the PC version and explains all the glitches as its an earlier build.

something like that.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

They are missing final fantasy 8 and tactics. Those games were bank back in the day.

Wonder if we will get another character in october.

I still believe there are two unique characters left. So, it is mid november and then dlc announcements.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy VII isn't coming because they don't have the assets from the game any more, the only reason FFVI is coming is because a different (or shell) company had an old version of the game, this is the PC version and explains all the glitches as its an earlier build.
Wait so they don't have the assets to 7 any more? And wait, they confirmed 6 at some point?

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know about the odds of more FF music in Smash now that the Switch is getting a bunch of ports?

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
So what was the game that some leakers said that, after we saw it, we would understand why the Direct got delayed? Katamari Damacy? :laugh:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

something like that.
FF VII is coming to Switch. Do you mean FF VIII?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Oh, I just remembered something else that Vergeben said at one point, and that is that there is a newcomer that he didn't wanna say who it is because is a "controversial" character. Good god I hope it isn't Goku..

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Oh, I just remembered something else that Vergeben said at one point, and that is that there is a newcomer that he didn't wanna say who it is because is a "controversial" character. Good god I hope it isn't Goku..
My guess is that it's probably someone like Sans or Steve or Freddy Fazbear. That kind of controversial.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Plot twist its Gex. He's the second Square Enix character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The “controversial” character thing is slightly inaccurate. He was talking about the Pokemon, and the reason he didn’t say anything was due to disagreement among his sources as to who it was.

That said, we’re so close to this game being the official version of Crusade, and it makes me really want Goku in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom