• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think the disappointment many of us have gotten has less to do with Isabelle herself and more so the delay and week long insanity we've been through. If the earthquake hadn't happened and the Direct aired as normal, I doubt there'd be as many people disappointed as there is currently.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Er, no. That was my point. Warner Bros. Is historically impossible to work with. Getting to them to let Scorpion or Subzero I’m would be near impossible. That’s the biggest point against those two I feel. Not that they’re Western or lack Nintendo history(which they have plenty of).
Ah gotcha.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
The furniture hints with Sakurai were true.

We got a new character from a game series heavily associated with getting new furniture.
Tom Nooks desk had paper on it right. Where does paper come from hmmmmm oh yeah wood from chopped down trees. You know who is a wooden doll yeah you guessed it.

GENO IS IN THE GAME

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I really don't believe Dante will be getting in. I mean getting one leak right doesn't mean you'll always be correct. Now VergeBen on the other hand I can believe in because so far he hasn't been wrong.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I feel like we'll get a robin/Lucinda type reveal in October (no direct required just a character trailer)

Leaving 3 unique characters left

D

Deleted member

This week has been a complete and utter drag, but I’m all smiles now! It’s rare I get this excited about... anything. My second most wanted, she’s exactly how I wanted her, and my favorite series is finally getting a new game.

I don’t even care about all the salt. I’m happy as a dog with a bone. :ultkrool:
I am glad you are really happy!

Isabelle is the true cinnamon roll who was well deserved.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I really don't believe Dante will be getting in. I mean getting one leak right doesn't mean you'll always be correct. Now VergeBen on the other hand I can believe in because so far he hasn't been wrong.
Keep in mind the guy that leaked dante also leaked a bunch of DMCV info in the same posts, and he hasn't been wrong about the DMCV stuff yet. It's all been revealed over time, much like Vergeben's leak.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Keep in mind the guy that leaked dante also leaked a bunch of DMCV info in the same posts, and he hasn't been wrong about the DMCV stuff yet. It's all been revealed over time, much like Vergeben's leak.
I also heard his creator confirmed he wasn't in. At least last I checked.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
GameFaqs is absolutely LIVID over Isabelle lol...
On another topic, you got a great looking new Yoshi game on Switch. And I got FF7 ported. I think world peace is achievable Zinith, one thing at a time. Let's shake on it.

I like Yoshi btw I just know you hate FF7.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Smash fans hate things that are cute/feminine? Since when has there been a negative reaction to Zelda's redesign?

I would figure that since Smash is a game about intense action that the slow paced life sim Animal Crossing is probably, on average, one of the least beloved Nintendo franchises among Smash fans. I consider myself a generally big Nintendo fan though I'll admit I care about their new stuff on average a lot less than I cared about their old stuff. I played the first Animal Crossing and thought it was boring which was a great reason for me not to play the rest of the series. If not for her role as an AT in Smash 4, I wouldn't know who Isabelle is. I would see her and think "some Animal Crossing character" but then not care too much beyond that, and I wouldn't know that K.K. Slider isn't the most important Animal Crossing character otherwise because in Smash he sure is (Saturday night performance!). It's not to say Isabelle doesn't "deserve" to be in; she probably deserves to be in about as much as Wii Fit Trainer... but she's also about as exciting to the average Smash fan.

Of course, you could just be a competitive like me and they're all gameplay functions anyway. In that case, this reveal is mostly a mystery since we really don't know how Isabelle plays. If things we haven't seen are really powerful and she's top tier, sure, I would happily play her. If she's bad, she might as well not be in, but that's also true for someone like Ridley even though he's really cool. I'm telling you that a competitive mindset sure makes this reveal cycle really easy; I recommend it! One of the many upsides is that it's actually impossible to be disappointed with the roster since I don't know which characters will be good but I sure know it will be some of them!

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Loz18 was kicked out of server, and was said to have been spreading misinformation since June. Skull Kid I'm no longer confident in, the next newcomer is a major mystery, at least to me.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still confident Dante isn't getting in. Not that I have anything against the character. I just don't see it based on one leak.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
On another topic, you got a great looking new Yoshi game on Switch. And I got FF7 ported. I think world peace is achievable Zinith, one thing at a time. Let's shake on it.

I like Yoshi btw I just know you hate FF7.
I still like FF in general. In fact, I like pretty much all the titles coming to Switch and I have nothing against FF7 coming to it.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
loz18 loz18 haha you stink

But real talk, I think we got 5 unique newcomers left MAX.

As for who’s a I think they are...

1. Skull Kid
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Karate Joe or Chorus Kids
4. Incineroar or another Gen 7
5. That new Square-Enix rep

I’m kinda done thinking Banjo is going to happen base game, just due to the fact we probably don’t have many characters left and there doesn’t seem to be much room.

I do think he makes sense as DLC, especially since it makes figuring out how to split money with Microsoft easier.

D

Deleted member

Of course, you could just be a competitive like me and they're all gameplay functions anyway.
"If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper playstyles can be represented with our current roster."

Too easy.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So her side special aims upwards instead of horizontally?
Well that's a bit of a downgrade.
I saw her doing the planting animation for Lloyd, so I think her moveset is:

• Vertical Llyod down-special, planting mechanic
  • Fishing rod side-special, command grab (we saw that she has the net as a regular grab)
  • Pocket neutral special (she was seen pocketing Cloud's sword beam and throwing it back)
  • Balloon swing up-special, basically Villager recovery with the balloon mechanic.
  • Some mechanically similar but visually different moves (dash attack, smashes, etc.)
So, yeah, she's a Villager derivative but not really an Echo. A really high-quality semi-clone.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Dante has two correct leaks predicting him.

I'm not saying he's in but I don't think it's fair to totally dismiss it right now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dante has two correct leaks predicting him.

I'm not saying he's in but I don't think it's fair to totally dismiss it right now.
There also seems to be a trend between two third parties from each side which Capcom already has.

Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu
Konami: Simon, Snake
Namco: Pac-Man, TBA (Likely Heihachi)
Sega: Bayonetta, Sonic
Square Enix: Cloud, TBA (Likely Geno)

Yeah...I don't see Dante happening...

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The idea of LOZ not getting any kind of newcomer in ultimate really burns my ass

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh, I also liked how Yoshi and all the characters aren’t made of yarn anymore.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the yarn aesthetic. I just think that it’s sort of a one-game thing, and that every single Yoshi game shouldn’t just be yarn from now on.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
There also seems to be a trend between two third parties from each side which Capcom already has.

Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu
Konami: Simon, Snake
Namco: Pac-Man, TBA (Likely Heihachi)
Sega: Bayonetta, Sonic
Square Enix: Cloud, TBA (Likely Geno)

Yeah...I don't see Dante happening...
You missed Richter and forgot about Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom