• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Although Verge is 100% spot on...

It’s kinda hard to not predict Geno and to a lesser extent Ken. They’re pretty safe. Verg further makes them seem more and more likely so that’s helps.

So was Isabelle, but not as a unique newcomer, heck even Verge had some people say she was an echo. However, I still imagined she was at the very least it was very possible to playable, since she’s a recent rising star for Nintendo, she earned her place.

Now for the Gen 7 Pokémon, I’ve seen some posts shortly after the Isabelle reveal and Verge fiasco. So I’m going to make a message from the man himself for those jumping on the Incineroar-A-Lock train...
View attachment 164006
Just keep your hype and expectations in check, all right? The sources for the Pokémon is a lot more shaky, since The Pokemon Company is... well... BIG.
I must admit i never saw this comment ever.

PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE BE TRUE

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I'm all right with Isabelle. She can be added to my dorb playable army. (On that note, wished I had played Smash 4 more, but man all the controllers I have just feel so awkward to use.)

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Remember that one game quite a few pages ago of ranking your favorite newcomers?

How about now?

Really Really excited!
:ultridley:

Really Excited!
:ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter:

Excited!
:ultchrom::ultisabelle: :ultdarksamus:

Happy
:ultdaisy::ultinkling:

Like I said, i'm happy with what we've got so far!

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
It's funny, because I was gonna add Isabelle in my signature.

Well, it's too late now.

YES

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
I was not expecting Isabelle to be revealed as a unique newcomer, and like everyone else I figured she would be an echo.

She wasn't one of the characters I particularly wanted, but I'm happy for her fans that she got in. I was hoping for Elma but there's still time for other announcements in October and November for the characters people are clamoring for like Isaac, Skull Kid, Geno, Bandana Dee, Incineroar, Elma, Shadow, Ken, and others. The more I watch her trailer, the more she grows on me.

There are other big highlights from the Direct though: Luigi's Mansion 3, Kirby Epic Yarn 3DS, Yoshi's Crafted World, Animal Crossing Switch, and others. It was worth the wait for this Direct, and Sakurai will has a few more surprises for us.

Shroob

Sup?
I hope Verge doesn't leak anymore.
If there's only one Smash Direct left, there's probably not much left TO leak if he doesn't know Echo fighters.

He's promising 2(3?) unique newcomers, that seems like a proper way to end a final Smash Direct before launch.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The point is you must really be out of touch with Nintendo because Isabelle has been a big push for like 5 years...there were a couple of animal crossing directs like run by her or something...she's been a focal point for the series at least it's hard to miss her if you've been keeping up on Nintendo.

Can someone please talk about her weird stop sign move I feel like I'm the only one who brought it up what is that?!?! We have no move like it really. Is it her down b? Then what's her gyroid rocket? I need more info on her lol
It's a taunt.
I'm thinking that's going to be her Up Smash, actually. It goes high enough to be an anti-air and it'd be very weird for her to just pull that out if it was just a taunt.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I'm thinking that's going to be her Up Smash, actually. It goes high enough to be an anti-air and it'd be very weird for her to just pull that out if it was just a taunt.
it is you can see the spark from a charge attack in the clip

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One fun thing I found during this Direct that I was kind of thinking along lines of the March Direct with Inklings. Since it was our first Nintendo Direct which didn’t focus on Smash, it was super fun to try and guess based on what we saw in the trailer. Like Rex and Pyra during Xenoblade content, Octoling during the Splatoon part, and even Zack Fair or Tidus during the FF segment.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I hope Verge leaks that there’s more stages. That’s all I want really. The whole 103 stages thing has been my least favorite part about this game’s speculation.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Although Verge is 100% spot on...

Now for the Gen 7 Pokémon, I’ve seen some posts shortly after the Isabelle reveal and Verge fiasco. So I’m going to make a message from the man himself for those jumping on the Incineroar-A-Lock train...
View attachment 164006
Just keep your hype and expectations in check, all right? The sources for the Pokémon is a lot more shaky, since The Pokemon Company is... well... BIG.

For real tho, even tho I acknowledge Verge said only one of his sources said Incineroar, I still think he’s the most likely. Verge already knocked out two of his likeliest competitors, and while Gen 7 has a bunch of unique Pokemon, none have been quite pushed like Incineroar. I, of course, will keep a weary eye out for other picks likes Tapu Koko, Zeraora, and Buzzwole, but I still think Incineroar has the best shot.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Isabelle looks glorious! The idea of Lloyd mines still has me laughing. Can't wait to play her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well he said something about journalists being on to him so if Kotaku has the full roster and a suspicious rolled up carpet we know what happened.

He also seems to be in the dark about Echos for the most part...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I hope Verge leaks that there’s more stages. That’s all I want really. The whole 103 stages thing has been my least favorite part about this game’s speculation.
Yeah, the fact that we can count the number of new stages on one hand is not sitting well with me either. Obviously almost all the old stages are fantastic, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm curious how many sources Vergeben has, to see what other Pokemon his sources are saying.

Noipoi

Howdy!

For real tho, even tho I acknowledge Verge said only one of his sources said Incineroar, I still think he’s the most likely. Verge already knocked out two of his likeliest competitors, and while Gen 7 has a bunch of unique Pokemon, none have been quite pushed like Incineroar. I, of course, will keep a weary eye out for other picks likes Tapu Koko, Zeraora, and Buzzwole, but I still think Incineroar has the best shot.
Not gonna lie, even though I want Incineroar I wouldn't mind Buzzwole at all.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Now that Isabelle is confirmed, what do y'all think about Vergeben? Real imo. At least I hope. That SE character is almost definitely Geno.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
What? How? What?
Baselessly accusing a massive group of people of misogyny just because they don't like something cute is just stupid dude.
Also I thought the stigma against "gamer dudebros" was dead after rage comics stopped being a thing that people found funny.

Now that Isabelle is confirmed, what do y'all think about Vergeben? Real imo. At least I hope. That SE character is almost definitely Geno.
Probably real. You still need to be cautiously skeptical of these things regardless, though.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think Isabelle is the issue, she had a solid following. I think there's other, more complicated reasons, as to why the reception has been lukewarm.

Isabelle's disappointment seems to stem on being the only Smash news while being a very casual yet long-winded announcement. If Isabelle was paired with, let's say Isaac, then I'm certain there'd very little disappointment.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Despite my dislike for Animal Crossing, I'm always glad to see a new character included, and I'm feeling very happy for the fans that wanted ol' Izzy in.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wolf is a semi clone.

I love this GIF, ha.

Anyway, Wolf's actually different enough from Fox to not be considered a semi-clone. All of his moves were completely different from Fox, save for his Pummel, Up and Down Specials, as well as his Final Smash. Even his Neutral Special and Side Special were functionally, and visually, different from Fox's. Wolf is what I call a non-clone, or derivative, of Fox. Essentially a character who takes from another, so not entirely unique, but different enough to not be a semi-clone.

As for Isabelle, she looks like she looks like a non-clone/derivative based off what I've seen. Though she could end up a semi-clone once more of her moves are shown and analyzed. Still excited for her nonetheless, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think he's reliable, I don't trust him with my life but he's got a good track record.
Also I want him to be real because Incineroar, Isabelle, and Geno are my three children and I want them all to get in together.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Not gonna lie, even though I want Incineroar I wouldn't mind Buzzwole at all.
Personally, if not Incineroar, I’d love Golisopod or Tsareena. Both of these Pokemon were part of my Ultra Sun team and they put in work!

Or the Masked Royal. Not a Pokemon, but he’s awesome.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So now that Isabelle is in, let me update the stage-to-character ratio list:

4: :ultyoshi:(4/1)
3: :ultfalcon:(3/1)
2.25: :ultmario:(18/8)
2: :ultkirby:(6/3):ultness:(4/2):ultwario:(2/1):ultsonic:(2/1):ultolimar:(2/1)
1.5 : :ultlink:(9/6):ultvillager:(3/2)
1.33: :ultdk:(4/3)
1: :ultsamus:(4/4):ultfox:(3/3):ultpit:(3/3):ulticeclimbers:(1/1):ultgnw:(1/1):ultsnake:(1/1):ultmegaman:(1/1):ultwiifittrainer:(1/1):ultlittlemac:(1/1):ultpacman:(1/1):ultshulk:(1/1):ultduckhunt:(1/1):ultryu:(1/1):ultcloud:(1/1):ultbayonetta:(1/1):ultinkling:(1/1)
0.78: :ultpikachu:(7/9)
0.5: :ultsimon:(1/2)
0.43: :ultmarth:(3/7)
0: :ultrob:(0/1)

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I really don't think Isabelle is the issue, she had a solid following. I think there's other, more complicated reasons, as to why the reception has been lukewarm.

Isabelle's disappointment seems to stem on being the only Smash news while being a very casual yet long-winded announcement. If Isabelle was paired with, let's say Isaac, then I'm certain there'd very little disappointment.
Not to mention that everyone has had their excitement built up over the course of the full week the direct was delayed for. Honestly I think everybody's reactions are just face-value, and not indicative of their true feelings. You see a lot of people explicitly saying "I don't want Bandana Dee in Smash" but nobody said the same for Isabelle. I don't think anybody actually hates her, they just let the hype get to them.

justPUNT3R

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Cloud’s in, so Geno has a much more likely chance. I’ve heard people say that he’ll be DLC, but I’m just gonna keep my fingers crossed that we don’t have to pay more than $5.00 if there is DLC because I’m lazy...

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't want Incineroar but if they managed to incorporate the masked royal into his moveset I'd be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom