• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Although unlikely, which character in a Final Smash would you like to see playable?

I'd like to see X or Mega Man EXE.
Maybe Flora.
Kumatora, or even Boney for that matter. At least they'll actually get trophies this time (assuming trophies are back).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The Smash related click bait on Youtube is pretty crazy

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The cut Brawl music isn't Beware of the Forest Mushrooms, pretty sure there was a SourceGaming article disproving that idea but I can't be bothered to look for it.
More importantly, it can't be in the game because that data is owned by Square-Enix. Any usage of it requires licensing. Sakurai wouldn't pull that crap. Unless he successfully licensed the song, but couldn't license Geno, so cut it out so it's an unusable song, which would at least make some remote sense.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Wait what?
As soon as I saw "another Nindie Direct?!" in the screencap, I lost interest in watching the video.

Seriously, how many times have we gotten a Nindie Direct where something Smash related was revealed? We've been doing this since Smash 4 when everyone knew Shovel Knight would get announced.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of the cut Brawl music, one of the ones listed was Ballad of the Windfish.

We don't know if it was the original or Majora's one but here's the version that was passed around back in the day... 9 years ago.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Wow did you guys stop talking about Pokémon when I wasn't watching and started again or have you guys been going for like a day straight?

Anyway, here's the only thing I have to say about Pokémon; I'd really like- don't expect but would like - a combat trainer. Like a trainer who you actually take control of who takes the hits and does the normals, who summons pokemon for specials. Could have a really interesting stage control style based around throwing pokeballs and such. While I don't mind Greninja/Lucario style additions and there's definitely an extreme excess of pokemon choices that'd make for good characters I really loved what they did with Pokémon Trainer by doing something different with the concept of Pokémon on a base level rather than just translating the quarks of a particular pokemon into the game. With the games increasingly focusing on trainer involvement and having more athletic trainers Gen 7 would be a good time. I also think it'd be a fun way for the devs to surprise the fans since so much pokemon speculation is centered around the assumption it'll be a Pokémon.

As for which character to do my ideal would be Guzma and my second choice would be Gladion but the obvious actual choice is Kukui -
- He's fit and willing to get his hands dirty and isn't afraid to take hits, and is one of the only trainers known to personally "fight" Pokémon (even if it's just to get hit by them).
- Iirc the Professors are often one of the first designs done for a new gen, they are definitely always one of the first to be revealed and are pretty high profile, and they show off a different side of the pokemon series with the discovery/biology angle.
- He could have restling/lucha themed normal to go with his Masked Royal persona that could actually be pretty neat.
- Most importantly, it would make sense for him to use all 3 starters and Lycanroc in his moveset. Get a lot of important pokemon in there without having to make a whole character for each like PT.

But of course it probably won't happen, because;
- I imagine Game Freak would much rather promote a specific Pokémon through Smash since that's worked so well in the past.
- I imagine if Sakurai's production plan just left a slot open for pokemon again (which it probably would have to if we're getting Gen 7) he probably wouldn't plan out anything crazy and just go for another pokemon.
- Whereas Pokémon Trainer is actually a super accurate representation of how Pokémon works even moreso than the solo Pokémon trainers getting directly into the fight really isn't how things go down in the Pokémon games and Sakurai is a stickler about that kind of stuff.
- It's just an off the wall and obscure idea and there's no reason to think anyone in development is thinking of it.

Btw yes I'm aware I'm not the first person to suggest Kukui (I know I've seen a few banners for him around here) and certainly not the first to suggest a combat trainer but idk I just think it's a cool concept so I wanted to talk about it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Damn imagine someone remixing a song and then going "yeah it was a lost track in the game bro" and people bought it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
As soon as I saw "another Nindie Direct?!" in the screencap, I lost interest in watching the video.

Seriously, how many times have we gotten a Nindie Direct where something Smash related was revealed? We've been doing this since Smash 4 when everyone knew Shovel Knight would get announced.
You right but I like to wait and see.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm like 90% sure the Nindies directs are NoA/NoE only lol
They aren't announcing a new character when a large part of their audience won't even be watching.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
They aren't announcing a new character when a large part of their audience won't even be watching.
Shulk was announced in a Japan-only direct.
Still, I doubt any Smash-related things will be announced in a nindies direct - barely anyone watches them!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just wanted to say after watching them all, Digital Frontier is the absolute best animation studio in the gaming industry, no question. Better than Square. Better than Marza. They worked on my favorite Smash 4 trailers.

The amount of love, care, detail and expertise that they put into these trailers is phenomenal.

The Mega Man and Simon trailers still give me chills. The Tekken CG is just as incredible.
Very difficult for me to choose between them and Blizzard, I have a slight preference to the Smash trailers because I love the source material so much, but Blizzard have been at the top of video game CG Animation since the days of Warcraft 3 and continue to pump out one amazing cinematic after the other. Like, Diablo 3 was a pretty poor game with a shambolic story imo, but I still felt like I got my money's worth just from the cinematics alone. The various WoW trailers are also top drawer, especially the Wrath of the Lich King one.

But then I see the K. Rool trailer again, and man, I don't want to choose.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

Because this community is impatient, tends to grasp at straws, and believes itself info starved when it's really not.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"B-B-But Shulk was revealed in Japan before anywhere else! Y-You must be wrong!!"
[insert crying wojak]

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Wait what?
>"Quick little filler video"
>26.22 minutes
>Thinks Nintendo is playing mindgames and Shantae is confirmed when they just want to show off indie titles because their Winter 2018 lineup is kinda sparse.

Maybe it's a version of stockholm syndrome, but I can understand 4chan when they call Smash fans delusional.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not gonna lie though, whoever made these totally legit lost tracks:

He knew how to make some bangers.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
>26.22 minutes
>Thinks Nintendo is playing mindgames and Shantae is confirmed when they just want to show off indie titles because their Winter 2018 lineup is kinda sparse.

Maybe it's a version of stockholm syndrome, but I can understand 4chan when they call some Smash fans delusional.
Likely because we tend to see hints in clouds, colored chairs, and comments on eye strain.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh my goodness are we still discussing Lycanroc? I went to bed and you hooligans are still going on.

Wait no, even WORSE, are we STILL discussing Gothitelle?

You know.
From the leak that NAMEDROPPED SIMON AS NOT BEING IN THE GAME.
Which disproves it more than almost every leak I see
At least it was more civil this time. :]

The creator probably knows that.

I’m not sure if you guys know, but this is obviously clickbait and is trying to exaggerate things to get more views and money.

I hate people like those.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
>26.22 minutes

Maybe it's a version of stockholm syndrome, but I can understand 4chan when they call Smash fans delusional.
I've never been a fan of Youtube videos that are obscenely long and could easily be summed up in a single paragraph.

Then again, I've never been a fan of Youtube videos that mainly consist of some ******* talking. STFU and just give me a link to an article.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I just noticed that they changed the Metal Gear series symbol. Is there any significance to this?

Here was the old logo

D

Deleted member

I've never been a fan of Youtube videos that are obscenely long and could easily be summed up in a single paragraph.
I wish we could return to a simpler time of Unregistered HyperCam 2 and people typing things out in notepad.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just noticed that they changed the Metal Gear series symbol. Is there any significance to this?

Here was the old logo
Not really.

The ! is more iconic to the metal gear series, not to mention that the foxhound logo was also the logo for Kojima productions, which after the fiasco, HAD to be changed.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:’d

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If you want an Indie character in Smash, that's great! I just would be careful with making yourself believe it's likely with Shovel Knight already getting the spotlight as an Assist Trophy. If a Smash reveal happened in an Indie Direct, it would 100% erase any interest in any of the Indie titles and direct all attention overwhelmingly to Smash, which would defeat the purpose of a Direct centered around Indie games. Indie Developers would probably not be too happy that Nintendo used a section of an Indie Direct (considering Indie titles don't get the same following as a First Party Nintendo title) not only promoting one particular Indie character/series at the expense of others, but basically not allowing them all to get some time in the public eye.

It might have just been me, but I thought the way Shovel Knight was introduced as an AT was meant to be some sort of shock. Like all the other new ones were either Nintendo or 3rd party Assist Trophies, and then Shovel Knight just shows up.

Being a "thing" longer than Shovel Knight doesn't really make you more popular or more revolutionary. As somebody who lives in Buffalo, I can make a pretty good comparison. In Buffalo, we've got a ton of different places that make some pretty bomb-ass Chicken Wings (always with bleu cheese, we never mess with that ranch ****. Get that **** outta here). Anchor Bar is the restaurant that really started the trend of the "Buffalo Wing". Duff's, however, perfected it. While the opinion on best wing in Buffalo differs depending on who you ask, Anchor Bar is considered the originator, but not the perfector.

I feel this can connect to Indies in more than one way. For example, some of the only reasons I see people say Shantae has a chance is because "History with Nintendo" and "She's been around longer than Shovel Knight".

Now, having never played the Shantae games, I'm not going to say she's not a good character. I simply don't think the argument that she's been around longer or has history with Nintendo matters all that much. I would argue it doesn't mean anything at all besides what the typical person who uses that type of argument wants it to mean.

Shovel Knight has been on Nintendo consoles for quite some time. He has his own amiibo, with a few more on the way, and now Yacht Club games has the pleasure of owning the first Indie IP to make an appearance in Smash Bros. That's a really awesome accomplishment. That's not even meant to be at the expense of Shantae, that's just to say that that's really awesome for those folks.

Anyway, as far as the analogy being these characters to wings (mmm), basically you have a character who has been around for awhile (technically since the GBC days) and a character who has really struck that nostalgia of older side scrollers. Neither has been unsuccessful, and both would probably be really fun in Smash, but honestly I wouldn't expect an Indie character to be playable over one that has, honestly, made more of a public splash.

I'm a big fan of Shovel Knight, but even I would be surprised to see any of those characters in a picture like this:
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 5.12.30 PM.png

Bayonetta and even a character like Geno wouldn't line up there either, but I think both of those two would get in for different reasons. While I don't think Bayonetta technically won the ballot (my guess is she was planned anyway), I think she had a lot going for her, aside from the fact that she's like an honorary Nintendo character at this point. Geno is just...Geno. He's a one off, sure, but he's been kept relevant in terms of Smash for over a decade. That's pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Too lazy to quote posts, so....

In terms of the newcomers order from best-to-worst imo, I'm just gonna order the already confirmed ones...

:ultrichter::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultinkling::ultdaisy:

It's telling for this batch of newcomers when I put DAISY last in the current roster (I'm average on Daisy)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My best to worst of the current cast

:ultsimon::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultchrom:

With "worst" being Chrom who I have no special attachment to but am happy for.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not gonna lie though, whoever made these totally legit lost tracks:

He knew how to make some bangers.
Ehhhhhhh

I mean it kind of ruins the atmosphere the original was going for, personally. This remix sounds more like an F-Zero song or something.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's take a moment to appreciate that with Ultimate, we can have Cloud Strife Fight Sonic the Hedgehog on Shadow Moses Island, have Cloud Summon Zero with an Assist Trophy, Sonic retaliates by throwing Boss Galaga, when Death's Scythe shows up and both scramble for it.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
For me, it's something like:

:ultkrool::ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultchrom:

My two most hoped newcomers at this point are Geno and Skull Kid, they would go on top of the list.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Got another game we can play. The rules are pretty simple. Order Ultimate's newcomers (not including vets) from most to least favorite, then place your two most-wanted, currently unconfirmed characters on the list.

For example:
:ultridley::ultinkling:
:ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom:

I was so excited to get Ridley and the Inklings, and I don't think there's anyone left who could top them. Lycanroc and Mipha are two characters I've been faithfully supporting, so I'd be a little more excited for them than I was with the rest of the current newcomers.
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultElma::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultMonsterHunter::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultinkling::ultdaisy:

Ridley and King K. Rool were among my big two going into the game, with Ridley in particular being my most wanted character period, so they're at the top. Elma, Richter, Dark Samus, and MH are in the middle as characters I want/want to try out due to enjoying them in their respective games. Simon is after them because he looks neat, but I prefer his Echo over him, and the rest I'm more ambivalent to, but I don't mind their inclusion in the slightest.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Shantae has no shot. That being said, it'd be cool if she made it in.
Let's take a moment to appreciate that with Ultimate, we can have Cloud Strife Fight Sonic the Hedgehog on Shadow Moses Island, have Cloud Summon Zero with an Assist Trophy, Sonic retaliates by throwing Boss Galaga, when Death's Scythe shows up and both scramble for it.
More than though, we can have Mario and Bowser fight on Peach's Castle with barrels filled with super mushrooms. That is wild, man! Super mushrooms are normally stored in question mark boxes.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I don't see any Indies making it in the roster. The only one that does have a shot IMO is Reimu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom