• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Anyone thinks that the SNES Mini could be related to the newcomers we are getting?

I mean, right now, 4 of these games can be linked to 4 newcomers, these being:

Super Castlevania IV (Simon), Donkey Kong Country (K. Rool), Super Metroid (Game that made Ridley popular), Castlevania Dracula X (Richter).

So, every real newcomer besides Splatoon have a game in this console, including one echo.
(And don't forget, this console have Super Mario RPG... Geno could be next...)
It's probably a coincidence.
Ah yes

:ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom:

Splendid
Invisible Crocodile is my favourite Smash Fighter.

*does a hard refresh*

Ah, that's better.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Anyone thinks that the SNES Mini could be related to the newcomers we are getting?

Super Castlevania IV (Simon), Donkey Kong Country (K. Rool), Super Metroid (Game that made Ridley popular), Castlevania Dracula X (Richter).

So, every real newcomer besides Splatoon have a game in this console, including one echo.
I wish my mind didn’t work this way, but I believe it. :|
I don't see Isabelle being an Echo Fighter. I see her fighting less directly than the Villager and having a more "cutesy" moveset.

Also, you are right about Shadow being #1, but you forgot Ken. Ken is the ORIGINAL Echo Fighter in fighting games, and would just be a hand-in-glove fit in Smash Bros.

I don't think Impa is far behind either in terms of likelihood. (Gotta Diddy Kong Diddy Kong for that LMAO)

Edit: For reference, I can't see Dixie Kong as an Echo Fighter. She's too different with the use of her hair as a recovery tool + as a primary means of attacking. I don't see Sakurai just shoehorning that in for Dixie, because it just doesn't fit.
Dixie could easily be an echo. And it hardly matters if she uses her hair. Up b changes to the spin. Cool. Jab becomes Diddy’s from Smash 4 but uses hair for the tail jabs. Cartwheel can change to the hair twirl with relatively minor hitbox changes. What else needs to be changed? The hair grabs? Cool. Change animations, keep effects the same.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm getting more convinced that Skull Kid will make it in tbh. I also remembered people were absolutely livid when Lana got a Skull Kid reference costume as DLC yet there was no playable Skull Kid in sight
Unpopular opinion, but I would be glad to have Lana enter Smash. I also wouldn't mind if she got to keep the Skull Kid costume.
Speaking of more girls, I was thinking about how Tifa might not be that hard (relatively speaking) to make... if you do a lot of development cheating.

You can pull stuff from, say, Zero Suit Samus and Little Mac to get started. Actually, it reminds me of the recent Bayo controversy.

"In the Desert, Salt is a way of life."

:ultganondorf:CURSE YOU! LINK! CURSE YOU! SMASH BROS.!
I'm hoping if they pick a new FF character it'd be Terra, I would like a character with a mid-game transformation power up, that isn't a Final Smash, who's name isn't Cloud or Lucario.

Then Ganon proceeded to wash away the salt with a drink of water.

Only to drink cactus juice instead.

His whole life he thought himself to be the King of Evil.

When in reality, he was just a crazy man suffering from heat stoke, and bad cactus.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So, does everyone just kinda accept "Shadow and Isabelle are in" at this point?

They pretty much seem like the 2 most obvious Echos.
It sort of sucks, I really wanted Shadow; however, as an echo, I would not be that into it. I hate playing Sonic. I guess he is fairly likely at this point. Richter really opened the floodgates for third-party echoes. Ha ha ha... I was not expecting everyone to randomly become interested in clone characters. The times have definitely changed.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Let me hear your top 10 most likely characters to join the battle. Not who you want, but who is most likely. In order!

1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
3. Inceniroar/ Gen 7 pokemon
4. Geno
5. Ken
6. Elma
7. Isaac
8. Spring Man
9. Skull Kid
10. Paper Mario
I say...
1. Isabelle
2. Shadow or Tails
3. Gardevoir or Inceniroar or another Pokémon
4. Bandai Namco character
5. Isaac
6. Elma
7. Skull Kid
8. Geno
9. Waddle Dee
10. Impa

D

Deleted member

I dunno about others, but I've accepted it and I'm pretty much okay with it. Especially with Isabelle, as she's been on my wish lists since Echoes were revealed to be a thing. Shadow I'm cool with, as SA2B was a game I played non-stop as a kid, so nostalgia will make me hyped for him. I'm gonna kinda be floored if one or both of them don't end up making it, TBH.

The OW THE EDGE jokes also sweeten the deal for me, not gonna lie. :p

KMDP

Smash Legend
If you can't see the new icons (:ultkrool::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:), do a hard refresh (CTRL+F5) it'll fix the issue.

Basically, it refreshes the cache, so those on mobile will probably have to do the cache clean thing.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm getting more convinced that Skull Kid will make it in tbh. I also remembered people were absolutely livid when Lana got a Skull Kid reference costume as DLC yet there was no playable Skull Kid in sight
Same here. I wanted him, but knew he would never make it. Now, i actually think he's gonna make it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
:ultkrool:
Let me hear your top 10 most likely characters to join the battle. Not who you want, but who is most likely. In order!

1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
4. Geno
5. Ken
6. Elma
7. Isaac
8. Spring Man
9. Skull Kid
10. Paper Mario
I literally have this in my signature...but I like talking about it and maybe people are on mobile like me.

1. Bandanna Dee
2. Impa (e)
3. Decideueye or Inceniroar
4. Isabelle (e)
5. Shadow (e, like Chrom)
6. Dixie Kong (e, like Chrom)
7. Skull Kid
8. Geno/Rayman (only expecting 1 more 3rd party)
9. Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
10. Medusa (e, preferably using some of Palutena's unused custom specials).

It's not a true top 10, more like top 12 or so... But yea very confident in top 5, and the rest make sense for one reason or another.
1. Isabelle
2. Shadow
3. Chorus Kids
4. Skull Kid
5. Geno
6. Lycanroc/Generation 7 newcomer
7. Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
8. Elma
9. Dixie Kong
10. Heihachi

This is who I personally believe to be the most likely as of now. I am very confident about the top 8, but less so with Dixie Kong and below.
I tend to disagree with a lot of your picks Blue, but I love that your one of the users here who supports and believes in a Resident Evil rep (Jill Valentine specifically, even if Leon is more likely). Man I hope you're right.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I've pretty much accepted it, yes. But I'm still afraid that my biggest fear of Isabelle returning as an assist trophy might happen. (I even had a dream a few nights ago that she was de-confirmed, that's how worried about it I am). Nonetheless, I'm about 90% convinced they're both gonna be playable.

#RidleyDidNothingWrong

I thought that about Isabelle too at first, but didn’t Verg confirm that his source said she was an echo...?
He did, but just because he says she's an echo doesn't 100% confirm anything. His source, if he even has one, could be wrong. It's possible that he's wrong about Isabelle and that she returns as an AT. But I believe he's right.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Most likely imo

1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
3. Geno
4. Gen 7 Pokemon
5. Dixie Kong
6. Skull Kid
7. Isaac
8. Ken
9. Banjo-Kazooie
10. Bandanna Dee

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You will take Shadow and love him
Sonic alone was bad enough for me honestly... We don't need two of these. It'd actually be worse if Sonic had a Echo. Tails at least wouldn't be as absurtly fast. That is also reason for me to like Tails better.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I hope Shadow is confirmed for one reason close to my heart, you guys.
I made one of my best friends when melee came out. GameCube was our home. We played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle all the time.

To this day, if I bow down my head and sadly say “Maria...” My friend can’t help but laugh, because it seems cheesy after all these years.

We now compete with each other to keep up with competitive players online and we make personal messages with the little text bubbles for taunts.

So, if Shadow comes out, I am going to find Shadows saddest looking taunt and create a message that says “Maria...”

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
4. Geno
5. Ken
6. Elma
7. Isaac
8. Spring Man
9. Skull Kid
10. Paper Mario
1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
3. Geno
4. Skull kid
5. Gen 7 pokemon
6. Dixie kong
7. gardevoir/gothilette (yes I'm looking into the leak)
8. Banjo and kazooie (would be higher but being cautious)
9. Ken/akuma
10. Impa

Morbi

Scavenger
1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
3. Geno
4. Skull kid
5. Gen 7 pokemon
6. Dixie kong
7. gardevoir/gothilette (yes I'm looking into the leak)
8. Banjo and kazooie (would be higher but being cautious)
9. Ken/akuma
10. Impa
Honestly, given that they got Richter correct, I am just unconditionally believing that leak. So I put her at number one myself. Blatantly obvious.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmm... event match ideas.
:ultmarth: vs :ultroy: vs :ultchrom: vs :ultlucina:: "Marth-For-All!"
:ultyoshi: vs :ultkrool:: "Reptile Rumble"
:ultpit::ultsamus: vs :ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus: "Mirror Match"
:ultmarth: vs :ultrichter:: "Bishonen Brawl"
:ultzss: vs :ultsimon:: "Whipping It Out"
:ultsnake: vs :ultfox:: "A Cornered Fox"
:ultmegaman: vs :ultshulk:: "A Mechanical Misunderstanding"
:ultchrom: vs :ultpalutena:: "Roast Revenge"
Sonic alone was bad enough for me honestly... We don't need two of these. It'd actually be worse if Sonic had a Echo. Tails at least wouldn't be as absurtly fast. That is also reason for me to like Tails better.
In the 2D Sonic games, Tails has the same speed as Sonic; if he were accurate to the classics, he'd be just as fast as Sonic.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hate to burst your bubble but Goroh's an AT.
Hmm didn't actually see him confirmed as an Assist Trophy, thanks for the heads up!
If you only had to pick one of Ken or Chun Li, who would you prefer?
They aren't comparable in regards of "would you prefer x or y" because of the way they would function on a roster is entirely different.

Chun-Li would be a completely new moveset newcomer, Ken would be an Echo Fighter/clone.

Chun-Li is unlikely because we aren't getting a 2nd completely new moveset, whereas Ken is the OG Echo Fighter, and would fill the role of a Ryu Echo Fighter seamlessly.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I tend to disagree with a lot of your picks Blue, but I love that your one of the users here who supports and believes in a Resident Evil rep (Jill Valentine specifically, even if Leon is more likely). Man I hope you're right.
More people should bet on a Resident Evil character TBH. I have zero relationship with the series, yet I feel certain that Resident Evil will get a character with how big and impactful this Japanese franchise is worldwide. I understand the genre and mature tone of RE characters can easily make people think the likelihood of a RE character happening are next to 0%. But after the successful implementation of Snake/Bayonetta in Smash and reading what Sakurai said about the remaining world-wide Japanese franchises that have yet to appear in Smash, I feel Resident Evil is next in line for the next big surprise third party after the big shock that was Cloud. As of now, I am betting that we could get Leon, with Jill as an Echo. I wish that I put Jill in my finalized predictions though, though it is not a big deal. :p

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I have a fun lil' shower thought/question for y'all. Do you think Echo Fighters will be unlocked at the same time as the character they're based on, or do you think they'll be separate unlocks?

For example, once you unlock Peach, do you think you'll also unlock Daisy, or will Daisy have her own unlock criteria? I only ask because the whole "stack Echo Fighters with who they're based on" thing got me thinkin'.

gurtbilbo

Smash Rookie

1. Shadow
2. Isabelle
4. Geno
5. Ken
6. Elma
7. Isaac
8. Spring Man
9. Skull Kid
10. Paper Mario
1.shadow (E)
2.Isabelle (E)
3.Decidueye
4.Bandana Dee
5.Geno
6.Impa (E)
7.Dixie Kong (E)
8.Elma
9.Dillon
10.Springman

Although my most wanted left now are Decidueye and Impa, then I’ll have no complaints about this game!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Nah. It is a coincidence. It is more so due to the fact the SNES was Nintendo's peak for the hardcore gamer.
I would actually say it is moreso because it was the last Nintendo home console of the "2D" era, and that makes said era more nostalgic + that is the era when 2D games became closer to "perfect" than in the previous era.

Also 2D characters in general are easier to translate in Smash, especially 2D sidescrolling.

Putting Mario, Donkey Kong, Ryu, Samus/Dark Samus and Simon/Richter Belmont, etc in Smash as a result of their playable experience in 2D sidescrolling games was super easy as a result.

Meanwhile characters like Fox, Villager, Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth... require more thought to think of and create.

D

Deleted member

I have a fun lil' shower thought/question for y'all. Do you think Echo Fighters will be unlocked at the same time as the character they're based on, or do you think they'll be separate unlocks?

For example, once you unlock Peach, do you think you'll also unlock Daisy, or will Daisy have her own unlock criteria? I only ask because the whole "stack Echo Fighters with who they're based on" thing got me thinkin'.
I've been wondering about that too. I think they'll be separate, because Samus is starter, and I don't think you'll be able to start with Dark Samus. Maybe Dark Samus will be an exception though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sonic =/= Bad...Sonic === Good. Two Sonics will go great with our two Pits and two Samus...es
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:

Spoopy ghost icons
Spooky Scary

I would love for that to be the case (would make it easier to get both Pits and the princesses of Mario)

Morbi

Scavenger

Usually when you unlock a character, you have to fight them. So, maybe you have to beat both of them at the same time? That would be pretty cool. I suppose the real question is will Dark Samus be available from the start as that answer would imply the answer to your question.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do wonder if the Mii Costumes are enough of a possibility to pull Tails in over Shadow. Shadow didn't get a Mii costume, Tails did. And for the exception of the Belmonts (But Konami wasn't involved in Smash 4 so that's kind of moot) and the Metroid newcomers. All the newcomers were mii costumes in Smash 4.

Even characters that didn't get playable that were Mii costumes still felt like they got an upgrade. Knuckles to AT, Toad to no longer a meat shield, Zero to AT, Proto Man to part of Megaman's Final Smash, etc.

I don't think the Mii costumes are the be-all, end-all for newcomer choices of course. But based on what many Mii costumes have gotten thus far, Tails should be upgraded further then just his cameo if Knuckles and maybe Shadow might.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Okay so the secret mode is probably gonna be called spirits and might have something to do with fighting bosses...

Bosses... spirits... ghosts... souls...

Basically what I'm thinking is: a Cuphead type plot where you work for Tabuu taking down all kinds of video game bosses for their souls or something or whatever.

Thank you for indulging me. This has been: My Longest Thinking Emoji Ever

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I thought that about Isabelle too at first, but didn’t Verg confirm that his source said she was an echo...?
I never read Verg saying that and I've read every Reddit post he put out over the last 2 months.

If it's a post with their name not on Reddit, it's not actually from them.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Usually when you unlock a character, you have to fight them. So, maybe you have to beat both of them at the same time? That would be pretty cool. I suppose the real question is will Dark Samus be available from the start as that answer would imply the answer to your question.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom