• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
During the mii costume reveal they had Beware the Forest Mushrooms playing.

So they were at least able to get the song then

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Despite all these cool fan favorites, can't help but be a little disappointed that we don't even have a Chibi assist trophy

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I actually don't know Nintendo's deal with Geno. It's like Nintendo and Square got divorced and Square doesn't want Nintendo around Geno out of spite.
They made Geno though, it's Square's character. It's like getting uppity about an OC.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They made Geno though, it's Square's character. It's like getting uppity about an OC.
There was that case with the Sonic artist where he got into a legal battle with Archie comics over his Sonic characters and they aren't allowed to use them now. They had to reset the entire universe

So OC's are serious business

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Despite all these cool fan favorites, can't help but be a little disappointed that we don't even have a Chibi assist trophy
We haven't seen every AT yet, so there's still hope.
I have no attachment to him but I think he deserves something after all he's been through.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Unless it's popularly picked in the other parts of the globe I can't say much for the character.
Again, not likely, but possible and things have lined up for the reveal to happen in an incredibly satisfying way for her fans if it does happen.

Actually worth noting she has appeared in at least 4 "leaks" I've seen (as mentioned earlier one was pre-E3 and also had Ridley and Dark Pit/Lucina returning but not considered full characters), so at least some people think she's believable in those. And she does sorta have a support thread here (it's for the series getting a rep, not her specifically).

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Paper Mario, Gengar, Rayman, Banjo and Kazooie, Geno, Aola Raichu, Big Boss, Shadow and Goku the only newcomers left to be revealed.

Very excited for the next direct

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There was that case with the Sonic artist where he got into a legal battle with Archie comics over his Sonic characters and they aren't allowed to use them now. They had to reset the entire universe

god **** don't remind me, i saw how he redesigned them. my brain is puking at the thought

Paper Mario, Gengar, Rayman, Banjo and Kazooie, Geno, Aola Raichu, Big Boss, Shadow and Goku the only newcomers left to be revealed.

Very excited for the next direct
boi you trippin
especially since one of those is already deconfirmed

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Are we sure Square owns Geno? Like really sure? This is giving me deja vu to "Rare owns K Rool" (although K Rool supporters always knew that was false)

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
During the mii costume reveal they had Beware the Forest Mushrooms playing.

So they were at least able to get the song then
I'm nettled that they got the rights to this song and the Chocobo theme just for the Mii announcements but apparently can't add them to the game itself.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Are we sure Square owns Geno? Like really sure? This is giving me deja vu to "Rare owns K Rool" (although K Rool supporters always knew that was false)
Yeah, we are. That's the only reason he wasn't in Brawl.

Sakurai went out of his way to actually try and deal with Square then to get him in the game

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah, we are. That's the only reason he wasn't in Brawl.

Sakurai went out of his way to actually try and deal with Square then to get him in the game
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So does Square appear in credits for Superstar Saga? They'd need to deal with Square for that too

Shroob

Sup?
The original Mario and Luigi SSS on the GBA gave credit to Square Enix for Geno's cameo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey guys you know what has a halloween theme?
JackOLanterns.
You know what character is associated with JackOLanterns?
Pyro Jack.
You know what's spooky and is associated with Pyro Jack?
Shin Megami Tensei Heroes.
Kazuya's gonna be announced this October guis, count on it.
001.png

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

It's all about how the contract is written before the character is created. Rare doesn't own any of the DKC characters because they were a smaller studio and probably didn't have much control in the contract negotiations. Square was Square, so they obviously did.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yes.

Superstar Saga credits specifically mention Geno is owned by Square.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
JackOLanterns.
Pyro Jack.
View attachment 156838
Nah fam, we're getting Jacko from Guilty Gear. Sakurai needed a Halloween rep and threw Sol Badguy out of the window so he had a Halloween rep

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes, they own the character.
People who argued K. Rool were owned by Rare are misinformed because he showed up in the one Mario baseball game which proved he wasn't. Also, Diddy would've had to have gone under the same treatment.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, if Geno gets in, I'm not necessarily expecting a stage, but Beware the Forest Mushrooms is basically the iconic song people think of when they think of him.

I guess if they made it his victory theme instead, but not having it playable on a Mario stage would really, really bite.

Enchess

Smash Lord
JackOLanterns.
Pyro Jack.
View attachment 156838
I know this is a joke, but the problem with guessing a non-Simon 3rd party for a Halloween reveal is there are too many options. Leon, someone from Silent Hill, god-forbid Five Nights at Freddy's...

Edit: also thanks to the many people telling me Square definitely owns Geno. It's super easy for false stuff to start being circulated because it sounds like it could be true, so wanted to make sure haha

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yes, they own the character.
People who argued K. Rool were owned by Rare are misinformed because he showed up in the one Mario baseball game which proved he wasn't. Also, Diddy would've had to have gone under the same treatment.
He also showed up in the Paon DK games, King of Swing, Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast.

But most people only seem to recall him being in Super Sluggers.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I don't know how anyone could think this is the final SSS. They'd at least center justify the bottom row.
Honestly, it looked completely black, and absolute. But then thanks to the enlargement, I finally noticed that the final 6 stage slots are definitely blurred out. It's just made to look as though there was nothing there.

I was pretty adamant that the stage select screen that was shown was definitive. And while I was right, I definitely didn't notice the blurry images. Now granted, this doesn't mean there are still a couple of returning stages left--since the blurry images are all at the bottom row well past the blurry stages. But at the very least, we could see 6 more new stages.

Now, this doesn't mean 6 more unique newcomers, or necessarily 6 more new franchise representations. We'll likely get a new Pokémon rep and thus a new stage to go alongside it. And we are usually treated to about two or so nonsense stages representing other things but not necessarily a new fighter. See Pictochat, Hanenbrow, or Living Room among many others.

What could those stages be? Well, if Vergeben is to be trusted, then we could perhaps expect to see a Minecraft-based stage, albeit without a playable fighter. We saw Monster Hunter representation, so we might get a Dragon Hunter stage. And then there is the distinct possibility that, maybe, just maybe, we might get a Rhythm Heaven stage. Maybe not a fighter. But possibly a stage.

Though honestly, I think we have about 4 more unique fighters to go. Tops. And we already have some bloody hype reveals in Ridley, Simon & Richter Belmont, and King K. Rool. Outside of Geno and Skull Kid--who I think are likely at this point--I wonder who else could get in based off of Ballot results that could possibly generate as much hype--if not moreso--than those two? I think whoever our final character reveal will be, it will make Ridley and King K. Rool look like a bunch of Echo Fighters by comparison.

Well...hopefully, it's not Goku. Maybe it's the Angry Video Game Nerd, but I digress. Just a million-in-one chance at that happening.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know this is a joke, but the problem with guessing a non-Simon 3rd party for a Halloween reveal is there are too many options. Leon, someone from Silent Hill, god-forbid Five Nights at Freddy's...
No reveal has ever been associated with a holiday, nor has there been one with a specific theme that isn't about the game itself. If it was, the Direct from Wednesday would've been 8 themed or whatever. I really really really don't buy that argument that there's gonna be a grand holiday-themed reveal, so much to the point where I become a salt machine when someone tries to say it's plausible. because its not

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
nor has there been one with a specific theme that isn't about the game itself. If it was, the Direct from Wednesday would've been 8 themed or whatever
Ah, but Simon can swing his whip in the 8 cardinal directions. The clues were there all along.

Enchess

Smash Lord
No reveal has ever been associated with a holiday, nor has there been one with a specific theme that isn't about the game itself. If it was, the Direct from Wednesday would've been 8 themed or whatever. I really really really don't buy that argument that there's gonna be a grand holiday-themed reveal, so much to the point where I become a salt machine when someone tries to say it's plausible. because its not
I agree its not something Nintendo traditionally does, but it's not like they've never acknowledged Halloween officially or like it couldn't happen. I mean how many times have they even had something Halloween-y to announce?

Why am I getting more pushback for saying Nintendo MIGHT reveal Spirits in October because of Halloween than when people say Goku is a real possibility?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I agree its not something Nintendo traditionally does, but it's not like they've never acknowledged Halloween officially or like it couldn't happen. I mean how many times have they even had something Halloween-y to announce?

Why am I getting more pushback for saying Nintendo MIGHT reveal Spirits in October because of Halloween than when people say Goku is a real possibility?
I think deep down, we all are bracing ourselves to see that gold nimbus swoop in in the case that Sakurai goes absolutely insane with fan demand.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai shows it, not Nintendo. Sakurai hasn't done it then, he likely won't do it now. He does it however he wants.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think deep down, we all are bracing ourselves to see that gold nimbus swoop in in the case that Sakurai goes absolutely insane with fan demand.
If Goku gets in i'm canceling my pre-order.

Then re-ordering it because the game looks too good and I actually like Goku I just don't want him in Smash.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
After Walking Dead crossing over with Tekken, I'm convinced this has an actual ****ing chance of happening. None of you lie, Goku in Smash would genuinely be cool
Goku ofrom Dragonball with the power pole and nimbus would be cool. Super Saiyan Goku or higher....wouldn’t feel right.

Kid Goku or early adult Goku is okay for me. But that’s where I draw the line.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sakurai shows it, not Nintendo. Sakurai hasn't done it then, he likely won't do it now. He does it however he wants.
I like Goku, I just don't like the idea of a character not from a video game getting into a series celebrating video games.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The way I view it:

We have Ridley and K.Rool

These are the absolute ball busters of the Smash community, and there's really only Geno left of the "Big 3" most requested characters.

But if we were to get Geno in say, the next Direct.... then I'd have absolutely no ****ing clue who Sakurai would be saving to show off last that could top Ridley, K,Rool AND Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom