• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
To be fair, Wolf does have overlap with the villains since he has willingly assisted Andross in his conquest in multiple games (even ignoring remakes) and hasn't been shown or stated to have any regrets in those actions. At the very least he's more of a villain then the other two considering his actions have less of a moral compass.
A mercenary doth not question his orders if he requires the financial gains.

In all seriousness, there's, again, a Japanese translation that basically states that Andross and Pigma manipulated him and fed him false hopes, even further implying that Wolf likely would've befriended Fox had he not been so easily duped and swayed to play right into their palms or just never met them at all.

This implies that there's more of a tragic misunderstanding and/or misguiding of one's morals and aliiances, which unfortunately led to the events we've all come to know today.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, so first of all, I'd like to say that I'm very angry. It was extremely disrespectful of you to deliberately imply that I am biased and "like Zeraora" because I wouldn't back down. Because I EXPECT him. I'm sure you would be irritated if I accused you of only expecting Decidueye, Incineroar, or Buzzwole for NO other reason then that you like them.

Second of all, I'm infuriated by your characterizations of everything I said, which could also be interpreted as deliberate.
  • I never said "I don't think Sakurai would pick starter Pokemon".
  • I never said anything about Decidueye, Incineroar, Buzzwole, or Zeraora's design.
  • I never said anything about Zeraora being popular, or the other candidates being unpopular.
  • I never said datamines are official debuts. I simply used the term "debut" for lack of a better word because that is in fact his first introduction to the video game community.
  • I never said Zeraora was being pushed, and I never characterized "being in a movie" as a determining factor. I listed it as one of many things to take into consideration.
  • I never said I liked Zeraora.
So yeah, to end that all off with "I get it. You like Zeraora." is pretty infuriating. I don't know why you decided to turn this into that, but it's disrespectful and belittling. You just declaring that he isn't likely is you're way of claiming victory and then declaring that I like Zeraora, is to dismiss any future argument I make as being biased and therefore invalid.

You can disagree, but in my opinion, dismissing someone's argument by claiming they "like" a character, is one of the most insulting things you can do when speculating about newcomers. I don't care how much you or anyone else believes that to be the case. It's disrespectful and frankly pisses me off.

I gave genuine reasons why I BELIEVE Zeraora is most likely the Pokemon newcomer. Just because you disagree with them, doesn't mean you get to invalidate them via strawman. I could care less who the Pokemon newcomer is.
Sorry if I offended you with what I said.

It wasn't deliberate mischaracterization, from the way I read your post it sounded a lot like you liked Zeraora to me, that's my bad.

While I didn't mean to disregard your viewpoint, I still mean much of what I said; I don't think Zeraora is likely.

Also, you did say "I don't think [Sakurai]'s going to choose a starter Pokemon or an Ultra Beast." it's right there in my quote.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sean Schemmel, Goku Voice Actor, just tweeted this when he heard the IMDb rumor of him voicing son goku: "I have not recorded nor have I been approached by anyone from Nintendo or otherwise to record for [Super Smash Bros Ultimate]. I am equally perplexed."

Goku deconfirmed?
Lucario de-confirmed? Granted they could just re-using Smash 4 voice clips again. :4lucario:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To every Smash speculator out there, I want to say that you all should speculate to your heart’s content for Smash Brothers Ultimate. This could very well be the last Smash to which we can go all out on predictions before the eventual Smash reboot sequel comes to possibly adjust the way newcomers are added in future titles. There are a number of ways to make the time of Smash speculation more valuable:

-If you feel there is a topic that personal bias is getting in the way of, but internally think is possible, overcome the fear by being open to the topic, listening to other’s perspectives to understand why people feel certain ways towards certain newcomers’ chances.

-If you feel there is a speculation topic you seen milked up to every angle imaginable, move onto something new to speculate.

-But, if there a side of a speculation topic that you see that others have not talked about, share what you believe could help benefit or decrease a newcomer’s chances.

-If there is a topic you discussed before, but never dived deeper because you have not gave the topic much critical thought, explore that topic more.

-Research Sakurai interviews, look into clues Sakurai provided in directs, look at how certain newcomer additions in Ultimate might benefit the chances of other newcomers. Research can be very satisfying when discovering new things and aligning them together that builds your confidence on a certain newcomer to a new level.

-Be bold with your predictions. Even if you internally think that your prediction is a shot in the dark because of how one-sided most or notable people feel about the possibility of it happening, stick to your gut.

For every newcomer reveal Sakurai does comes less newcomers to predict and brag about to your friends about. The time to speculate Smash comes only once in a millennium. If every speculator is going to be here on this site every day to discuss Smash, at the very least, you should make your time here count.

I apologize if I sound kind of ranty, I just felt the need to express this badly.

D

Deleted member

Something completely unrelated and something I found kinda funny. If you remember, Dry Bowser is showing up in a lot of leaks.

In the demonstration for how tourney mode works, one of the nicknames that is used on Simon is called "D Bowser". Take that what you will. :upsidedown:
Every name in there is the name of a NoA employee, and Doug Bowser is the head of sales and marketing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lucario de-confirmed? Granted they could just re-using Smash 4 voice clips again. :4lucario:
I just want Brawl Lucario back. I don't want the Lucario that sounds like he has strep throat please Nintendo spare my ears.

Every name in there is the name of a NoA employee, and Doug Bowser is the head of sales and marketing.
My tinfoil hat would like to say otherwise.
so does that make reggie a mario main

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ok. Sorry to the guy who came up with the numbers first, but the mode smashdown will have 2-4 people. so the final total may match where 2-3-4 intersect, being 84 more than likely.

So, I expect only 4 more newcomers, And the rest filling out with echos.
Newcomers -> 8 total (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K Rool, Elma, Lloyd, Bandanna Dee, Geno)
Echos -> 17 total (Daisy, Dark Samus, Lucina, Chrom, Dark Pit, Richter, Black Shadow, Impa, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Isabelle, Doc Lewis, Medusa, Ms Pacman, Ken, Jeanne, Octoling)

Means nothing, but I made mocks showing it. Here they are.
People should think of their guesses also.

UpdatedCharacterListCompressed.png

and
UpdatedCharacterListExpanded.png

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sorry if I offended you with what I said.

It wasn't deliberate mischaracterization, from the way I read your post it sounded a lot like you liked Zeraora to me.

While I didn't mean to disregard your viewpoint, I still mean much of what I said.

Also, you did say "I don't think [Sakurai]'s going to choose a starter Pokemon or an Ultra Beast." it's right there in my quote.
No. You accused me of saying Sakurai WOULDN'T choose a starter. You implied that I was saying there is something inherently problematic with a Pokemon newcomer being a starter.

When actually, what I said was, I don't think that he did or was going to.

And again, someone arguing that a character is more likely does not equate to liking them. So I don'think it sounded at all like I liked Zeraora.

Noipoi

Howdy!
To every Smash speculator out there, I want to say that you all should speculate to your heart’s content for Smash Brothers Ultimate. This could very well be the last Smash to which we can go all out on predictions before the eventual Smash reboot sequel comes to possibly adjust the way newcomers are added in future titles. There are a number of ways to make the time of Smash speculation more valuable:

-If you feel there is a topic that personal bias is getting in the way of, but internally think is possible, overcome the fear by being open to the topic, listening to other’s perspectives to understand why people feel certain ways towards certain newcomers’ chances.

-If you feel there is a speculation topic you seen milked up to every angle imaginable, move onto something new to speculate.

-But, if there a side of a speculation topic that you see that others have not talked about, share what you believe could help benefit or decrease a newcomer’s chances.

-If there is a topic you discussed before, but never dived deeper because you have not gave the topic much critical thought, explore that topic more.

-Research Sakurai interviews, look into clues Sakurai provided in directs, look at how certain newcomer additions in Ultimate might benefit the chances of other newcomers. Research can be very satisfying when discovering new things and aligning them together that builds your confidence on a certain newcomer to a new level.

-Be bold with your predictions. Even if you internally think that your prediction is a shot in the dark because of how one-sided most or notable people feel about the possibility of it happening, stick to your gut.

For every newcomer reveal Sakurai does comes less newcomers to predict and brag about to your friends about. The time to speculate Smash comes only once in a millennium. If every speculator is going to be here on this site every day to discuss Smash, at the very least, you should make your time here count.

I apologize if I sound kind of ranty, I just felt the need to express this badly.
My predictions are all pretty grounded in reality, so I think i'll be bragging soon!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

The chances of my most wanted inched up a bit thanks to recent circumstances. I'm ready...

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
For now yes (if an actor is apart of Smash they can’t answer questions relating to their character joining Smash)
True, I'm sure he'd be under some sort of NDA if he did voicing for smash, but the fact that he choose to even respond seems to tell me otherwise.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A mercenary doth not question his orders if he requires the financial gains.

In all seriousness, there's, again, a Japanese translation that basically states that Andross and Pigma manipulated him and fed him false hopes, even further implying that Wolf likely would've befriended Fox had he not been so easily duped and swayed to play right into their palms or just never met them at all.

This implies that there's more of a tragic misunderstanding and/or misguiding of one's morals and aliiances, which unfortunately led to the events we've all come to know today.
The problem I have with the guide counterpoint is that it's restricted to a Japanese-only source that has never been used or referred to within the games proper. It's basically a piece of potential lore that's never been established or followed up on, and on top of that, one that hasn't been used in any of the other different continuities such as Star Fox 2 and Zero so he still (as far as we know) willingly serves a ruthless dictator with little objection as far as they're concerned.

Also, I highly doubt that he would've befriended Fox even in the scenario that he was manipulated as he does figuratively backstab Fox for his own personal gain in one of the Command endings. That implies to me that he's purely motivated by self-gain and he will use any means he needs to succeed in his own goals, and if that means he hurts someone along the way he's not going to care. That's more amoral then what Dark Pit and Meta Knight have done in their rivalries with their respective protagonists.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm genuinely surprised that people are putting Black Shadow everywhere at least in the thread now, I just saw him as a pipe dream. :4pacman:

Ok. Sorry to the guy who came up with the numbers first, but the mode smashdown will have 2-4 people. so the final total may match where 2-3-4 intersect, being 84 more than likely.

Newcomers -> 8 total (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K Rool, Elma, Lloyd, Bandanna Dee, Geno)
Echos -> 17 total (Daisy, Dark Samus, Lucina, Chrom, Dark Pit, Richter, Black Shadow, Impa, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Isabelle, Doc Lewis, Medusa, Ms Pacman, Ken, Jeanne, Octoling)

View attachment 156738
and
View attachment 156739
Why Doc Louis? Wasn't he already deconfirmed to be put in Mac's win animations?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

View attachment 156738
and
View attachment 156739
See, here’s the thing. How does 25 characters added, Echo or not, equate to the following:

“We have a few more characters to reveal. We’ll get to those later on”.

4 more characters vs. 17 more...While i’d love to see that many characters, I doubt “a few” is going to come out to 25 newcomers total.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Nintendo themselves can outright state Goku will never get in, but there will still be people holding out hopes or thinking Ninty is "trolling".

It's not a deconfirmation until we see them as anything but a fighter, or nowhere at all.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Something completely unrelated and something I found kinda funny. If you remember, Dry Bowser is showing up in a lot of leaks.

In the demonstration for how tourney mode works, one of the nicknames that is used on Simon is called "D Bowser". Take that what you will. :upsidedown:
The head of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America is named Doug Bowser.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo themselves can outright state Goku will never get in, but there will still be people holding out hopes or thinking Ninty is "trolling".

It's not a deconfirmation until we see them as anything but a fighter, or nowhere at all.
Besides...we have :ultlucario: Super :ultsonic: and Super Sayian :ultpit:

Iridium

Smash Hero

I never realized this was a thing until just a few minutes ago. This show is just meme gold!

Imagine if this was in Smash. Oh, the dank meme compilations!

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Alright, then.

I don’t think Shadow is getting in, and will stay and Assist. I mean people say that Knuckles replaces Shadow, even though Shadow does something completely different from Knuckles. We also still have some assists left and Shadow is likley one of them, not to mention that we don’t really know if Sakurai wants to add a whole bunch of echoes for the sake of it, there are a lot of other possible echoes.

Also, I please don’t add Shadow. There’s something not right with him being added in. Even with Richter being added to Smash, I though Nintendo actually owed the series when I was watching the reveal, and with their history with Nintendo it just made more sense for them. I don’t like the idea of Shadow being our second Sonic Rep.
————————————————————-
Anyways, I think Chrom might’ve been decided earlier on. Unlike the other echoes, Chrom has the most differences with different recoveries and moves, and animations. Not to mention, that if Chrom is in, Robin would’ve needed a brand new final smash to begin with, and I don’t think they would’ve wanted to completely change someone’s else’s FS since Pair Up would’ve been fine on it’s own.

It seems Chrom was most likley planned pretty early on, even as an Echo, Chrom has a notable amount of differences and changes that would’ve affected Robin since the beginning of Smash Ultimate’s development.

Last edited:

Starry

Smash Rookie

I didn't realise that people actually thought that Goku could be in the game. I kinda think he'd be a very silly pick if he somehow did sneak his way into the game, I always assumed that to be in Smash you had to be a character that originated from a Video Game.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay hear me out on this...

Here is a picture of the mechanical toy Sakurai bought years ago to use in one of his projects (which we all assume is Smash now, since there hasn't been any new project for him).

A lot of people are looking at it as the entire robot toy being the inspiration, which is why a lot of people (myself included) are thinking of it as a push for Elma, and that was the first reaction when we first heard about the toy.

However, it seems like the toy is not being used for the robot actions itself, but rather just the arm gun. As the picture of the toy shows, the gun stands in place for one of the robot's arms.

And you know who has an arm gun that has a lot of ballot support?

And it would make a lot of sense to reveal them for the last character, given how much they've been requested.

Last edited:

Starry

Smash Rookie
Alright, then.

I don’t think Shadow is getting in, and will stay and Assist. I mean people say that Knuckles replaces Shadow, even though Shadow does something completely different from Knuckles. We also still have some assists left and Shadow is likley one of them.

Also, I please don’t add Shadow. There’s something not right with him being added in. Even with Richter being added to Smash, I though Nintendo actually owed the series when I was watching the reveal, and with their history with Nintendo it just made more sense for them. I don’t like the idea of Shadow being our second Sonic Rep.

Anyways, I think Chrom might’ve been decided earlier on. Unlike the other echoes, Chrom has the most differences with different recoveries and moves, and animations. Not to mention, that if Chrom is in, Robin would’ve needed a brand new final smash to begin with, and I don’t think they would’ve wanted to completely change someone’s else’s FS since Pair Up would’ve been fine on it’s own.

It seems Chrom was most likley planned pretty recently, even as an Echo, Chrom has a notable amount of differences and changes that would’ve affected Robin since the beginning of Smash Ultimate’s development.
You seem pretty biased towards poor little edgy hedgy. Honestly I think he has a super huge chance of being added. I even thought that he might get in as a completely new character and that Metal Sonic might end up being Sonic's echo fighter.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Okay hear me out on this...

Here is a picture of the mechanical toy Sakurai bought years ago to use in one of his projects (which we all assume is Smash now, since there hasn't been any new project for him).

A lot of people are looking at it as the entire robot toy being the inspiration, which is why a lot of people (myself included) are thinking of it as a push for Elma, and that was the first reaction when we first heard about the toy.

However, it seems like the toy is not being used for the robot actions itself, but rather just the arm gun. As the picture of the toy shows, the gun stands in place for one of the robot's arms.

And you know who has an arm gun that has a lot of ballot support?

The robot actually has an arm and it's just holding it as a typical rifle, you just can't see it from that perspective.

KMDP

Smash Legend
No. You accused me of saying Sakurai WOULDN'T choose a starter. You implied that I was saying there is something inherently problematic with a Pokemon newcomer being a starter.

When actually, what I said was, I don't think that he did or was going to.

And again, someone arguing that a character is more likely does not equate to liking them. So I don'think it sounded at all like I liked Zeraora.
Saying "I don't think Sakurai will choose a Starter this time" implies "I think Sakurai won't choose a starter this time" when you're talking about it in relation to the likelihood of another character.

Language like "I think [Sakurai] and the Pokemon Company are more clever than that and most likely chose Zeraora" sounded to me like the statement of someone who has a vested interest in getting Zeraora in. If you aren't, I can only apologize for my error.

Picking Zeraora is a gamble, he might not make any waves, whereas Sakurai and the Pokémon Company can guarantee that at least a third of the Pokémon-playing audience will get attached to each starter, possibly even more than one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just want Brawl Lucario back. I don't want the Lucario that sounds like he has strep throat please Nintendo spare my ears.

My tinfoil hat would like to say otherwise.
so does that make reggie a mario main
How do you know D Bowser isn't Dark Bowser?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You seem pretty biased towards poor little edgy hedgy. Honestly I think he has a super huge chance of being added. I even thought that he might get in as a completely new character and that Metal Sonic might end up being Sonic's echo fighter.
To be honest, I just don’t think he’s getting in.

I mean, when looking at the state of Sonic, it doesn’t seem that Sakurai has put a lot of thought into him and his franchise when you compare to it others.

Castlevania? they gave Simon and incredibly detailed trailer, with an incredibly detailed, TONS of Soundtracks, and last but not least an echo fighter. Not to mention that Castlevania played an important part in Sakurai’s life.

And with the many different characters to echo, it doesn’t seem that he would opt for Shadow. I mean they added in Knuckles as an AT because he was hella popular.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The problem I have with the guide counterpoint is that it's restricted to a Japanese-only source that has never been used or referred to within the games proper. It's basically a piece of potential lore that's never been established or followed up on, and on top of that, one that hasn't been used in any of the other different continuities such as Star Fox 2 and Zero so he still (as far as we know) willingly serves a ruthless dictator with little objection as far as they're concerned.

Also, I highly doubt that he would've befriended Fox even in the scenario that he was manipulated as he does figuratively backstab Fox for his own personal gain in one of the Command endings. That implies to me that he's purely motivated by self-gain and he will use any means he needs to succeed in his own goals, and if that means he hurts someone along the way he's not going to care.
So what, is Krystal a backstabber and criminal at heart to you too then? It's simply a possible ending in a game of several, where canon is questionable among all of them.

I can see helping with the Aparoids, but why assist Fox on Corneria and actually give him meaningful advice that he needed to complete the mission? Even in the ending, Fox seems to believe that Star Wolf are alive and well despite odds telling him no.

Using a possible ending from Command is almost just as bad as me using that translation, to be honest.

He willingly serves Andross because he's a mercenary and is payed to, and he clearly enjoys having an equal, with descriptions saying he has a begrudging respect for the vulpine, if I remember right. No villain or evil character is going to have any sense of respect in them for anyone but themselves, IF they're egotistical at all, as I'm sure you can't say Ridley, Ganondorf, and heck, even K. Rool don't have an ounce of respect for their "rivals".

Fox is a mercenary who's mercilessly killed those who opposed the side that pays him too, last I checked. The job is a morally grey area in of itself, and being what they are, we have no real right to really call them "heroes" per sé, just figures that did right by Corneria's standards as per their daily job.

People talk of body count and ruthlessness, but is there even a source or lore bit that confirms either of these things for Wolf? I've heard of Leon being the sadistic psycho, but Wolf is merely just feral and aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom