• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We're still discussing Goku?

Man can we just find something else to talk about like who is the best Fire Emblem waifu instead?
Lyn, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Lissa, Tharja, Cordelia, Celica, Mae, Sonya, Marissa

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Some of us are getting a little off-topic. Please remember the thread rules or take it to the NintenZone board.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do a Magikarp moveset
A: Splash
AA: Splash
AAA: Splash
Forward Tilt: Splash
Down Tilt: Splash
Up Tilt: Splash
R: Splash
Neutral Throw Attack: Splash
Forward Throw: Splash
Backward Throw: Splash
Down Throw: Splash
Upward Throw: Splash
B: Splash
B Forward: Splash
B Down: Splash
B Up: Splash
Neutral Air Attack: Splash
Forward Air: Splash
Back Air: Splash
Down Air: Splash
Up Air: Splash
Taunt 1: Splash
Taunt 2: Splash
Taunt 3: Splash
Ledge Recovery Move under 100%: Splash
Ledge Recovery Move over 100%: Splash
Final Smash: Splash
Victory Screen 1: Splash
Victory Screen 2: Splash
Victory Screen 3: Splash

:troll:

Yes, I did type that all out all at once.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Awakening is turning out to be the Gen 1 of FE
I can see why some would think so, but there's still a long, long way from approaching that level. There's been three games in the last years with only gen one Pokemon, and only one has been updated to include later gens. Not to mention things like the 151 plush toys, the Alolan Pokemon and the overabundance of gen one Megas compared to other gens.
Heroes has been very generous to FE7 (Lyn got 5 alts before Lucina got her 5, one which is the same as her base unit, but worse and with limited merges) and there's been a lot of content from FE4/5, Japan only games with little content outside of them. Roy and Lilina have alts even though Lilina has never been playable outside of Japan and Roy is only popular thanks to Smash. We got Legendary Hector even though CYL Hector is coming.
If anything, GBA FE is also guilty of taking a lot of the spotlight in Heroes and Warriors. Legendary Lyn, Legendary Ephraim and Legendary Hector came out before Legendary Marth, which doesn't even exist because he only got one alt, and Legendary Alm/Celica. Lyn got in as an unique character in Warriors while Celica scrapped by as a Marth clone. Heroes alone has treated FE 2/SoV, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 much better than the entire Pokemon franchise has treated gen 5, a gen that got one questionable Mega and an Elite Four member cameo.

A new FE character is probably Echo Chrom or nothing. I'd love it if Celica made it in, but it's unlikely.
I think I'd take Chrom over nothing.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
So I just remembered that the Switch doesn't have a Mii Creator "Channel". I guess they'll add Mii Creation to the actual game? Maybe they'll show that off in the Direct. *shrug*

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You know what's also great about Nintendo supporting Ultimate during EVO?

Future hype dlc reveals after the winner's ceremony!

Heck kinda hoping smash gets the dlc seasons treatment like other fighters today

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's the thing with 3rd Party characters...3rd party characters include characters that come from companies/studios that aren't gaming as well.

Super Smash Bros. is advertised as a gaming crossover brawler. Even the E3 direct took a moment to cover the fact that this is "the biggest crossover in gaming history." The Youtube page says, "Legendary game worlds and fighters collide in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!"

Not only would an anime, cartoon, or non-gaming character be shocking, it would literally go against the design of the game and series itself. Adding Goku, Mickey Mouse, or any other non-gaming character goes against that "biggest gaming crossover" vibe.

Sure, compare Smash to Soul Calibur, Tekken, or Mortal Kombat. They're not comparable aside from the fact that they're fighting games with guest characters. They're completely different in concept. Including Negan in Tekken, a game of completely original characters, makes him a guest character. Negan doesn't go against the theme of the series itself. It's a terrible comparison.

This is the same with Freddy Krueger in MK9, Yoda and Darth Vader in Soul Calibur, or any other guest character in a given game.

Basically, the theme of Smash is, "Gaming titans collide". Adding Goku literally goes against that theme, and therefore the direction of the game and series. Not only has Sakurai hinted that Mii Fighters are the solution to having non-gaming characters in Smash, but he's said they're impossible". As a game developer with a sense of professionalism, why in the world would he go back on that of all things?

I've literally yet to see a compelling point as to why Goku or another non-gaming character would be added. Sure, the responses are, "Sakurai said Ridley was impossible, and look where we are". True. It doesn't take much critical thinking to understand it's a completely different ball game though.

It's not impossible. It's illogical. It would literally be like adding Master Chief to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. It's not impossible. Sony could have if they wanted. But it would have literally gone against the design of the game.

Move onto another topic. PLEASE. THIS IS BORING AND A WASTE.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Goddammit stop killing the discussion here :facepalm:
Goku Is The Best Fire Emblem Waifu.png

Why are you being so hostile? I was just answering your question.
I do what I want.
You know what's also great about Nintendo supporting Ultimate during EVO?

Future hype dlc reveals after the winner's ceremony!

Heck kinda hoping smash gets the dlc seasons treatment like other fighters today
I think that would be pretty cool, considering I think quite a long period of time is expected between Ultimate and Smash 6.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Here's the thing with 3rd Party characters...3rd party characters include characters that come from companies/studios that aren't gaming as well.

Super Smash Bros. is advertised as a gaming crossover brawler. Even the E3 direct took a moment to cover the fact that this is "the biggest crossover in gaming history." The Youtube page says, "Legendary game worlds and fighters collide in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!"

Not only would an anime, cartoon, or non-gaming character be shocking, it would literally go against the design of the game and series itself. Adding Goku, Mickey Mouse, or any other non-gaming character goes against that "biggest gaming crossover" vibe.

Sure, compare Smash to Soul Calibur, Tekken, or Mortal Kombat. They're not comparable aside from the fact that they're fighting games with guest characters. They're completely different in concept. Including Negan in Tekken, a game of completely original characters, make him a guest character. Negan doesn't go against the theme of the series itself. It's a terrible comparison.

This is the same with Freddy Krueger in MK9, Yoda and Darth Vader in Soul Calibur, or any other guest character in a given game.

Basically, the theme of Smash is, "Gaming titans collide". Adding Goku literally goes against that theme, and therefore the direction of the game and series. Not only has Sakurai hinted that Mii Fighters are the solution to having non-gaming characters in Smash, but he's said they're impossible". As a game developer with a sense of professionalism, why in the world would he go back on that of all things?

I've literally yet to see a compelling point as to why Goku or another non-gaming character would be added. Sure, the responses are, "Sakurai said Ridley was impossible, and look where we are". True. It doesn't take much critical thinking to understand it's a completely different ball game though.

It's not impossible. It's illogical. It would literally be like adding Master Chief to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. It's not impossible. Sony could have if they wanted. But it would have literally gone against the design of the game.

Move onto another topic. PLEASE. THIS IS BORING AND A WASTE.
Here's one: CRASH BANDICOOT

Plz add him Sakurai. I want to see the 90's war of Mario vs Sonic vs Crash again

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People discussing the merits of 3rd parties that aren't game characters is not off-topic. They're still just 3rd parties people want. If you don't like the discussion, you don't need to participate(but you also should not be hostile towards others who actually like the characters. Likewise, people are allowed to dislike the idea too. There is nothing wrong with that).

We're not going to shut down discussion because it simply doesn't tickle your fancy. And no, it's not stupid to want a character in that seems impossible whatsoever. Please show some maturity and realize that it's just opinions. Be respectful of them.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Goddammit stop killing the discussion here :facepalm:

I really think Buizel would make an interesting water type Pokemon to show in Smash. Aqua Jet, Ice Punch, Aerial Ace, Sonic Boom to name a few
RIP Buizel’s relevance, though... you haven’t even been able to catch one directly in main series since 5th gen (although you can get Floatzel in XY and USUM.)
Well, it was also was semi notable in Super PMD, but
He tried to 1v1 an Entei and ended up suffering the same fate as Smash Trailer Chrom...

To be fair to Metapod he does have more moves than harden such as tackle, string shot etc wouldn't be too hard to give him a moveset.

Recovery can be like a group of butterfrees carry Metapod around. Harden can be like a general thing so when it moves to attack it uses harden on the point Metapod is attacking with.

Metapod can work but it's a lot of effort and he will certainly be a joke character cool as it may be.

#Metapod4Smash
A character that can grapple around using String Shot for mobility and offense actually sounds really cool, TBH.

So I just remembered that the Switch doesn't have a Mii Creator "Channel". I guess they'll add Mii Creation to the actual game? Maybe they'll show that off in the Direct. *shrug*
Since the Mii creator is part of the Switch OS rather than being a separate channel, you can access it with Smash open without needing to close it first (unless it’s like Smash 3DS on an Old 3DS where it hogs the entirety of the system’s RAM,) so a separate Mii Maker would be pointless.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Maybe I'm the only person in the world who grew up playing licensed games, but there are a plenty of non-video game characters with iconic and influential video games. I'd love some "4th party" characters if they were to be based on/inspired by their games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can anyone see what’s up with the video CoopyDoopy posted? The account was only made little under 20 minutes ago and I’m afraid of what it may be

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Can anyone see what’s up with the video CoopyDoopy posted? The account was only made little under 20 minutes ago and I’m afraid of what it may be
It's literally a kid pretending to be an Ultimate character.

On that subject, Let's not pick on children here. That's low.

D

Deleted member

Make a moveset for diglett
General overview: really small, like, crouching Pikachu height. Always has the little dirt rubble around him, goes inside it when crouching. Terrible control in the air.

Neutral A: scratches in front of him. Multihit jab.
Side A: leans forward and stretches himself in a diagonal angle
Up A: extends himself upwards
Down A: throws some dirt around him while inside the ground
Dash Attack: uses Metal Claw in front of him.

NAir: throws dirt all around him
FAir: slashes in front of him.
BAir: uses Mud-Slap behind him, propelling himself forawrd while trapping opponents in a multihit move
DAir: faces downwards and uses Iron Head while falling, much like Link's DAir
UAir: extends himself upwards to attack

Side Smash: uses Earth Power in front of him, making the ground explode in a distance relative to how long the button was held.
Up Smash: quickly enters the ground and summons two rock pillars on his side that can also cover incoming attacks
Down Smash: uses Bulldoze, making anyone touching the ground take damage and trip. No knockback.

Neutral B - Dig: Diglett burrows himself inside the ground and remains there for up to three seconds, during which he can move around the stage, after which he reappears and damages anyone near him
Side B - Sucker Punch: Diglett throws a punch forward, the hitobox reaches far but there's a catch to it: instead of damaging opponents' hurtboxes, it will only hit an opponent's hitboxes, including disjoints, stopping the attacker in their tracks.
Up B - Fly: Diglett enters a bubble and fly upwards before flying down and hitting opponents. Has a Meteor hitbox on the way down.
Down B - Arena Trap: Diglett begins to burrow the ground around him, pulling anyone in the ground towards him while damaging them.

And... go!
General Overview: slow but bulky, Metapod is the heaviest character in the entire cast. A solely defensive playstyle, an Immovable Mountain, that's who it is.

Neutral A: rocks around damaging on both of its sides
Side A: Metapod tackles forward before returning to its original position
Up A: hops upwards to attack
Down A: "breakdances" around itself, hitting on both sides
Dash Attack: awkwardly rolls before falling

NAir: spins around in place
FAir: bashes in front of him, causing a Meteor Smash
BAir: attacks with back by propelling backwards
DAir: stops falling for a moment before crashing down with full power
UAir: throws a String Shot upwards, which works as a command grab, and launches them downwards

Side Smash: uses a powerful but slow Head Bash forward
Up Smash: bites above him in a mulithit moves
Down Smash: jumps and then stomps the ground below him

Neutral B - Bug Bite: Metapod charges a bit and then rapidly bites anything in front of it. If it hits any item, it'll recover a bit of HP for itself
Side B - Electro Web: Metapod throws an electric web in front of itself that stuns opponents caught in it. If it hits the ground, it'll stay there for a while, acting as a trap.
Up B - String Shot: throws a line of string that attackes to the ledge of the stage. No hitbox on enemies.
Down B - Harden: Metapod hardens itself, gaining super armor for one hit. It can stack up to 6 Hardens.
not to rain on your parade, and I have respect for that (please, entertain us), but anyone can come up with a moveset for anything

Brb making my refrigerator moveset
That's actually my point
I'll make an Unown one later

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's literally a kid pretending to be an Ultimate character.

On that subject, Let's not pick on children here. That's low.
Oh good I was worried it would be some blatant troll bait or something shocking (like that one guy with a full frontal nudity avatar)

Anyway uhhhh

I personally wouldn’t want a 4th party to be in Smash, Smash has always been about gaming and I’d hate to see it lose that spirit. And that’s the tea(TM)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
General Overview: slow but bulky, Metapod is the heaviest character in the entire cast. A solely defensive playstyle, an Immovable Mountain, that's who it is.

Neutral A: rocks around damaging on both of its sides
Side A: Metapod tackles forward before returning to its original position
Up A: hops upwards to attack
Down A: "breakdances" around itself, hitting on both sides
Dash Attack: awkwardly rolls before falling

NAir: spins around in place
FAir: bashes in front of him, causing a Meteor Smash
BAir: attacks with back by propelling backwards
DAir: stops falling for a moment before crashing down with full power
UAir: throws a String Shot upwards, which works as a command grab, and launches them downwards

Side Smash: uses a powerful but slow Head Bash forward
Up Smash: bites above him in a mulithit moves
Down Smash: jumps and then stomps the ground below him

Neutral B - Bug Bite: Metapod charges a bit and then rapidly bites anything in front of it. If it hits any item, it'll recover a bit of HP for itself
Side B - Electro Web: Metapod throws an electric web in front of itself that stuns opponents caught in it. If it hits the ground, it'll stay there for a while, acting as a trap.
Up B - String Shot: throws a line of string that attackes to the ledge of the stage. No hitbox on enemies.
Down B - Harden: Metapod hardens itself, gaining super armor for one hit. It can stack up to 6 Hardens.
Bravo :) Although I'm not sure how item use and throwing would work.

I agree with you by the way, that almost any Pokemon can be made a Smash character.

An off-the-wall choice of Pokemon would be much more preferable to "humanoid cool fighter Pokemon #7" in my books.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna put a thought out there.
The jump from Melee to Brawl, depending on opinion of :ultyounglink: to :ulttoonlink:, was either 18/15 or 17/14 newcomers added (Characters/Slots).
Similarly, Brawl to Smash 4 brought back a cut veteran :ultdoc: and 17/15 newcomers.
We've gotten another 7 cut veterans returning. Of approximate equal pace, 10 "actual" newcomers seems like a decent estimate. :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley: 3 revealed so far. 7 remaining to be shown off.
I feel like we're going to get two more BIG smash directs. One now, and one in November which'll be comparable to the 50 fact extravaganza and unload the game's demo/testfire equivilent.
I see 3 characters revealed during each, and 1 more newcomer who gets revealed independent during the interim.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Hype for the Direct tomorrow. Can't really make solid guesses and I'll try to keep my expectations low but, I do hope that the modes will finally be shown off. I need something to look forward to as someone who like to 100% games.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah ones like James Bond and Popeye would at least be game/Nintendo-fitting, unlike Spongebob.

What if they had something of Adventure mode, not necessarily SSE, but just SOME kind of continued content of having all these video game characters interacting with each other like in the trailers?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh good I was worried it would be some blatant troll bait or something shocking (like that one guy with a full frontal nudity avatar)

Anyway uhhhh

I personally wouldn’t want a 4th party to be in Smash, Smash has always been about gaming and I’d hate to see it lose that spirit. And that’s the tea(TM)
Oh, if it was that shocking, I'd have erased it too. It's just spam, really.

That reminds me, I should make more "fun" movesets(instead of actually high quality ones).

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I thought we will only get one Smash Direct before release, series specific Directs don't happen that frequently compared to normal Directs.

D

Deleted member

#SaberForSmash
Bravo :) Although I'm not sure how item use and throwing would work.

I agree with you by the way, that almost any Pokemon can be made a Smash character.

An off-the-wall choice of Pokemon would be much more preferable to "humanoid cool fighter Pokemon #7" in my books.
I'm sure someone else could make a better moveset with more time, but the important thing to remember is that it's not that hard to at least imagine how something would work.
It's why I wish they would just turn Pokken into a Smash Pokemon game, they just translate so well to this type of fighting game.

Though tbh, as far as my wants go from Gen 7, Mimikyu is on the far top, with Decidueye and Oricorio below him

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This bears repeating.

Not to mention the reasoning behind not including things like Ridley, Villager, Pac, and Miis were due to designing their movesets within the game: seems too peaceful, the moveset would be too awkward due to size, etc.

Goku is in a completely different ballpark. It's equivalent of me changing what medical profession I want to pursue, and someone says "he changes his mind all the time, so it's just as likely for him to then aspire to be a baseball player". No, I'm still within my field and baseball sucks.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I thought we will only get one Smash Direct before release, series specific Directs don't happen that frequently compared to normal Directs.
Smash isn't simply one of those series, silly mortal.

The amount of content a game like smash can have just begs for atleast 60+ minutes of direct footage.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
BWD and K. Rool are the liklier of the Top 4 there, as we already know what with the timing of things making the others not as likely.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So, dug up something from last month that I'm unsure if ever came up around here. Some passable JP site's poll on Smash newcomer wants, and someone who apparently fitted it into a more proper english listing of the big names, albeit in a long image so spoilered.
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161.amp.html
Honestly I'm gonna be upset if 3 of the top 4 aren't in.
I'm pretty sure the poll was for anticipated characters, not wanted specifically.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
So, dug up something from last month that I'm unsure if ever came up around here. Some passable JP site's poll on Smash newcomer wants, and someone who apparently fitted it into a more proper english listing of the big names, albeit in a long image so spoilered.
It's a prediction poll and it was shown here a loooong while ago (went up a little bit after E3 direct)

Also there are so many inaccuracies with that infographic that I can't even.

(number 6 to 25 are actually ordered by name and are just "honorable mentions")

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've seen that site. That's more "expected" than "wanted". Which is funny, as at least one of those characters was already disconfirmed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm pretty sure it's anticipated, not a wanted. It's like how a prediction and a wish are entirely different things. But still:
>sans
>again
I think Japan has a skeleton problem that needs to be exterminated addressed.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
He's one of them, honestly. I'd probably dub them "the Forever Five" because they've regularly been on wishlists since even before this site opened: K.Rool, Geno, Toad, Balloon Fighter, and Banjo Kazooie. Bomberman and Ridley would have fit the bill too.
I forgot about Balloon Fighter having such a following haha oh yeah
Would be neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom