• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
they do a Street Fighter third strike hard reboot with mario, pikachu, samus, kirby, and link as the only returning and the rest are all newbies
The next game’s tag line is going to be “No one is here!”. Any character who has ever been playable in Smash is out of the running. It’s history’s greatest crossover of 3rd string Nintendo characters.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
But I fear that Ness and Captain Falcon may be cut in favor of more recent and relevant characters. Their series will never again get a new installment, making them low priority.
I doubt they would. They are series that fondly remembered by many fans and smashers alike. Besides, they're not really low priority I doubt that the newcomers would be really exclude them, not mention the only 2 new series we have that hit well are Splatoon and ARMS, one already in, and another as very likely as DLC.

If new series and characters do pop up, they most likely would leave out the "filler" characters to make room for them.

Absolutely no evidence of this for Smash 4.
Jigglypuff was listed again, as one of the last characters to be added before the clones and Bowser Jr. in the files (or somewhere that shows when a character is completed and implemented.

Plus with absolutely no patches with a team that wanted (and tried) to balance the roster, she was untouched. Jigglypuff was saved this time because of the fact that Samurai wanted bring back everyone due to the ballot, but after this might not go well for her.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Watch as we datamine the games and find all these "Mario" placeholders, laugh it off and think we found nothing, but become disgusted later down the road when the game comes out and all the new characters are literally just different versions of Mario.
8-Player Smash!
Mario, Super Mario, Dr. Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario, Paper Mario, Hotel Mario, & Green Mario only!
Final Destination!

Book it Sakurai.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
On the subject of a reboot...

Sakurai said:
“I question what we’ll do with the next title, and I feel that having ‘all characters playable’ (for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate) may have been a Pandora’s Box that could ruin possibilities for what’s next in the series.”
I agree with Sakurai here, everybody’s talking about a potential smash reboot down the line, but honestly it’s going to feel like a downgrade no matter what they do. If the game mechanics stay mostly the same, then why play this new one instead of Ultimate with its wide roster of already loved characters. If they majorly shake up the game mechanics somehow, it will feel distinct from Ultimate, but it’s probably gonna be quite an upset since it could feel too different and not like a smash game at all.

Part of me hopes that they could just endlessly update and add content to Ultimate, even though that’s an unrealistic expectations.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The moment I saw Zeraora it turned less into a prediction and more into a want. (and with your comment on Ninten)
Y'know, predicting implies it's actually largely probable compared to others, not really what you hope to happen.
Y'now, wanting implies I have some personal desire to see these characters playable. The only character I claimed I wanted was Ninten. I have no opinion of Zeraora one way or the other.

How about you don't put words in people's mouths and psycho analyze them when you know nothing about them? I never ever said I wanted Zeraora. I actively don't want him. I want Mimikyu.

I think I know what I want more than you do. Zeraora IS largely probable compared to others. You can disagree without inventing a narrative and lecturing me about not understanding my own intentions. It's very insulting.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why are we even discussing a potential reboot when this game (and possible DLC) hasn't come out yet?
It's a fun discussion topic.
It's like the "Deep Cuts" game people play before every Smash release.

It forces people to reevaluate what they consider valuable in a Smash game and what they personally think is good for the entire franchise.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It's a fun discussion topic.
It's like the "Deep Cuts" game people play before every Smash release.

It forces people to reevaluate what they consider valuable in a Smash game and what they personally think is good for the entire franchise.
Eh. Fair enough, and it's not like we've got much else to talk about with the information drought anyways.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
While I think doing a reboot would be a good thing overall for the series as a whole to keep things from being too cluttered, I don't feel like it's something Nintendo would necessarily do given the kind of backlash something like that would cause. A lot of people would see it as a waste of money when they already have ultimate with so many characters they enjoy. Considering Nintendo doesn't exactly have many (if any) all-star characters left to have as newcomers if they did do a reboot and the majority of their target audience wouldn't see gameplay mechanics as a reason to get the new one.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Yeah, a stripped down reboot doesn’t strike me as a good idea. Smash has always been very iterative in many people’s minds (ie the newest one replaces the older ones). I know personally I’ll probably never look back at the older games once Ultimate comes out, so a further edition with less content would be a big disappointment.

That said, if they do reboot, I hope they keep the original 12 and expand from there. There needs to be some sense of history :)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Y'now, wanting implies I have some personal desire to see these characters playable. The only character I claimed I wanted was Ninten. I have no opinion of Zeraora one way or the other.

How about you don't put words in people's mouths and psycho analyze them when you know nothing about them? I never ever said I wanted Zeraora. I actively don't want him. I want Mimikyu.

I think I know what I want more than you do. Zeraora IS largely probable compared to others. You can disagree without inventing a narrative and lecturing me about not understanding my own intentions. It's very insulting.
Instead of a starter like most people and of the most probable percentage, you chose someone who was made for the second version of the seventh generation? That's really odd, probably the most odd idea of 7th Gen I've heard that wasn't Pyukumuku.

:p Psycho analyzing is half of my hobby, I'm way used to it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I hope there’s no reboots or cuts to any of the Nintendo characters or Sonic (Snake is really the worst loss that can happen cause...Konami and a possible possibility of Zony buying the MGS series), and we don’t have a Nintendo equivalent to MvCi...cause downgrading massively would overall be a dumb*** move to make. The best they can do is either go down the MK8D route and add dlc to the ported version of Ultimate or make a non-reboot sequel like in the past, either way new things are added
they do a Street Fighter third strike hard reboot with mario, pikachu, samus, kirby, and link as the only returning and the rest are all newbies
I’d cry
Just give me Cloud Mario, and I'd be set.
Super Final Mario Fantasy
Super Mario Fantasy
Final Mario Bros Fantasy
Super Fantasy Bros
Super Mario Bros Fantasy

So many names

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Instead of a starter like most people and of the most probable percentage, you chose someone who was made for the second version of the seventh generation? That's really odd, probably the most odd idea of 7th Gen I've heard that wasn't Pyukumuku.

:p Psycho analyzing is half of my hobby, I'm way used to it.
So your justification is that I didn't blindly parrot the consensus so therefore I'm bias?

You may be used to your hobby, but you sure aren't good at it. :p

Saying a starter Pokemon is the most likely outcome for Super Smash Bros Ultimate is like saying the latest movie star is the most likely Pokemon for Super Smash Bros 4, and then calling someone bias for predicting Greninja because he's not a movie star Pokemon, and then criticizing it for being odd.

I chose Zeraora because the Pokemon Company made an event out of his reveal. Teasing the Pokemon prior to it's debut and then having it star in their latest movie. I believe that's more probable than any other Pokemon with the exception of Mimikyu.

THAT'S why I chose him. So congratulations, now you know. Other people have different opinions on what's most probable. So stop stating your opinions as if they are facts. Especially when you are talking about other people.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
My personal strategy would be like those Yakuza game makers, they’ve been using the same animations, skeletons, maps, etc. ever since the first game on the ps2. But instead of scrapping everything they reuse a lot of stuff to make the process smoother, to put their focus in the gameplay and story.

To be perfectly honest if Smash just continued as a constant build on the previous iteration, I would be perfectly fine with that? I think recycling is perfectly fine in video games (especially ones with reoccurring play styles and characters like Smash). I think Ultimate is a good example of recycling done right. It’s similar, but adds enough to feel different and has a lot under its belt to make it feel full of content.

Like Mario’s alt costumes and all that? I honestly don’t believe would ever had been in a smash game built from the ground up. I think the ease that reusing assets brings is good for the long run, and it only gives us the players more content to play with.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Concerning a reboot, it's not really a matter of "if" but "when". The bubble has to burst sometime and even Sakurai admits this is probably the only time we'll see every character in the game. Any Smash games going forward will have to form their own identity and rip off the band-aid that is cutting characters. But that comes with it's own good points too, like being able to experiment with additions and mechanics each game instead of sticking so closely to the same factors game-in game-out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So your justification is that I didn't blindly parrot the consensus so therefore I'm bias?
Point to where I used the word bias. Once.
Please.
Go ahead.
All to you.
Any day now.

Saying a starter Pokemon is the most likely outcome for Super Smash Bros Ultimate is like saying the latest movie star is the most likely Pokemon for Super Smash Bros 4, and then calling someone bias for predicting Greninja because he's not a movie star Pokemon, and then criticizing it for being odd.
Again, point to where I used the word bias.

I only said it was odd because I've literally heard no mention of that Pokemon in any roster that I've seen. The starters and the one-star of the show of the generation (Mimkyu) are usually the top picks of choice. You sure like to talk about assumptions when you do the same thing.

I chose Zeraora because the Pokemon Company made an event out of his reveal. Teasing the Pokemon prior to it's debut and then having it star in their latest movie. I believe that's more probable than any other Pokemon with the exception of Mimikyu.
Well let's see here and-

Untitled.png

Huh. Guess that's why Rex is in the base roster.

So stop stating your opinions as if they are facts. Especially when you are talking about other people.
I'm not. I'm not enforcing you to believe anything. :4pacman: I'm saying even wishful thinking effects the numbers, and in the case of most of these they're quite alternate picks compared to the more popular, and most of the time, more probable.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Who do you think will be the last veteran fighter showcased in the blog?
Either Yoshi or Luigi.

Yoshi's always the last of the original 8 to be revealed(replaced by Pit in Sm4sh's opening trailer even) and was the last veteran of the current trailer to be revealed.

As for Luigi, Mario's the first character revealed, Luigi being the last amplifies his 'second banana' status.

Either way it's going to be one of my two favourite boys IMO.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Either Yoshi or Luigi.

Yoshi's always the last of the original 8 to be revealed(replaced by Pit in Sm4sh's opening trailer even) and was the last veteran of the current trailer to be revealed.

As for Luigi, Mario's the first character revealed, Luigi being the last amplifies his 'second banana' status.

Either way it's going to be one of my two favourite boys IMO.
Honestly I'm getting tired of him getting sidelined like that

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I'm getting tired of him getting sidelined like that
I feel ya. There was a period during Brawl where I was panicking he'd been cut for some ridiculous reason. Every new Smash game I still end up holding my breath despite the chances of Yoshi being cut at all are very very incredibly slim.

The sweat is still real tho.

Staarih

Smash Master
Either Yoshi or Luigi.
These two were the first ones that popped up in my head as well when thinking about who will be shown last lol. What is it with these green dudes?
Or then I just associate Yoshi and Luigi to the E3 trailer where they were shown last.

But seeing as it'll probably be totally random, I'll guess... Meta Knight as the last one shown.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Just for fun, anyone wanna predict what day the next newcomer will be shown off?

I'm going to guess August 21st. Not based off of anything, just a hunch.
I'll go August 1st or August 3rd. No real reason, I'm just getting good vibes from those dates.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
These two were the first ones that popped up in my head as well when thinking about who will be shown last lol. What is it with these green dudes?
Or then I just associate Yoshi and Luigi to the E3 trailer where they were shown last.
It's not easy being green.

Edit: Ok, I don't know if Smashboards is having issues with images at the moment but yeesh.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the major factor that takes Zeraora out of the running is the project plan. Let's be generous and say Ultra Sun/Moon began development right after Sun and Moon right were released (Late 2016) and Zeraora is conceived shortly after. This would still make him a year too late to join the roster, as the project plan was completed in December 2015.

The only thing that could save him is a Lycanroc Dusk Situation, where there is some proof in the coding that Zeraora was conceived early enough to make the ballot.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'll go August 1st or August 3rd. No real reason, I'm just getting good vibes from those dates.
August 1st? ...Can't imagine why.

I've got your number, Billy-boy.
Phew, the site's moving so slow today, you swear we got a new character.

That's Ridley, dressed for success, genocide, and for the theft of forty cakes
40 cakes!? Why, that's as many as four 10s! That's terrible!

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think the major factor that takes Zeraora out of the running is the project plan. Let's be generous and say Ultra Sun/Moon began development right after Sun and Moon right were released (Late 2016) and Zeraora is conceived shortly after. This would still make him a year too late to join the roster, as the project plan was completed in December 2015.

The only thing that could save him is a Lycanroc Dusk Situation, where there is some proof in the coding that Zeraora was conceived early enough to make the ballot.
About that, is there any data of Dusk Lycanroc in the original Sun & Moon? I remember when the game was datamined and I don't remember that coming up at all. Just curious because it's a big reason I don't think Lycanroc is as likely as other Gen 7 pokemon.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
August 1st? ...Can't imagine why.

I've got your number, Billy-boy.

40 cakes!? Why, that's as many as four 10s! That's terrible!
Yup, no reason at all. August 1st is just a completely normal date that is not the anniversary of the Japanese release of Golden Sun, at all.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hmmm good question. Luigi seems like a fair shout as Sakurai seems to meme around with him.

:ultwolf:maybe due to his model right now? Seriously hope his day has a tweaked video montage of his actual finished model. He deserves a better presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom