• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, some old codecs will need to be redone because they mention Brawl by name.

(Jigglypuff Codec) "Takes all kinds, Snake. Especially here in Brawl."
(Sonic Codec) "But everyone loves Sonic. He's a big star. Do you have any idea how excited people are that he's here in Brawl?"
Link's also needs an update. His codec mentions attacks that he no longer uses, such as the clawshot.

Zeox

Smash Champion
The fact that LUCAS of all characters, from the EARTHBOUND series, would get TWO Amiibos, is hard to believe

And now that I think about it shouldn't the game be called Earthbound 3D instead of Mother 3D?
Well, at first you could excuse this by saying that he knows how is gonna be called in Japan and not the name in the rest of the world.
But yeah, I doubt it, I see it more probably an earthbound trilogy collection than a Mother 3D remake.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No yeah the fact that the leak calls it Mother in the West when this seems to be an English direct brings a major red flag, cause both games in the series have been called "Earthbound", over here, why change that now?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I swear, the 2018 Waluigi fanbase is starting to make the 2014 Ridley fanbase look tame by comparison.

Waluigi probably won't be playable. Let's not rub salt in the wound by telling supporters to give up, and let's not get extremely defensive whenever someone says something negative about Waluigi. Let it go, move on, and talk about one of the gazillion other characters out there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly those New Super Mario games shouldn't have Wario OR Waluigi.

Those games should be where they do Super Mario Bros 2 style **** and just have Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. But I supposed they did that with Super Mario 3D World to a degree.
These """New""" Super Mario games shouldn't exist, period.
There's nothing """new""" about them and they feel lazy as hell.

D

Deleted member

No yeah the fact that the leak calls it Mother in the West when this seems to be an English direct brings a major red flag, cause both games in the series have been called "Earthbound", over here, why change that now?
After we've been calling it "Mother 3" this whole time, calling it "EarthBound 2" just seems wrong. I have no idea what they'd do if they chose to localize it, but any other name just feels strange.

It's also worth noting that even after Mother 1 became "EarthBound Beginnings," in Ultimate, Mother 3 is still Mother 3, as in the Treehouse streams, New Pork City now has the Mother 3 logo instead of the EarthBound one it had in Brawl.

Leak is totally fake though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Sonic's is great though. I love that Snake hates Sonic for no reason.
It's not for no reason; in the Japanese version, Snake is voiced by Akio Otsuka who is the son of late Chikao Otsuka who voiced Eggman from 1998 to 2015 where he sadly passed away. Eggman hates Sonic, so his son hates Sonic as well.

It doesn't translate well in English.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I do have to say that I feel less bad for Waluigi's fans and more bad for the actual character. Like the poor guy has not had the best year.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really don't want Mother to transition to 3D in general, something about those pixely graphics of the SNES and GBA was just perfect for the series, I don't think you can recapture the same spirit with 3D models. I must admit that the battle backgrounds would be crazy with the 3D slider on though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's not for no reason; in the Japanese version, Snake is voiced by Akio Otsuka who is the son of late Chikao Otsuka who voiced Eggman from 1998 to 2015 where he sadly passed away. Eggman hates Sonic, so his son hates Sonic as well.

Hedgehogs can eat snakes in the wild iirc so it still works but in a different way

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

woah i didnt know

litrally all the other reasons were "hedgehogs eat snakes" or "sonic 1 sold more than MG"

Zeox

Smash Champion
About the name translation for Mother 3, it could be something like this but on the inverse:

Having it called "Earthbound 2" in big, and then in small bellow having the name "Mother 3".

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
After we've been calling it "Mother 3" this whole time, calling it "EarthBound 2" just seems wrong. I have no idea what they'd do if they chose to localize it, but any other name just feels strange.

It's also worth noting that even after Mother 1 became "EarthBound Beginnings," in Ultimate, Mother 3 is still Mother 3, as in the Treehouse streams, New Pork City now has the Mother 3 logo instead of the EarthBound one it had in Brawl.

Leak is totally fake though.
I mean we all knew Earthbound Beginnings as Mother before it got localized, it was weird when we found out the localized name but here we are.

Also what logo exactly, I'm curious.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really don't want Mother to transition to 3D in general, something about those pixely graphics of the SNES and GBA was just perfect for the series. I must admit that the battle backgrounds would be crazy with the 3D slider on though.
A lot of the series' charm comes from its pixelated sprites. Take that away and it's just not the same.

A good compromise would be keeping the characters, NPCs, and enemies in their pixelated form, but making the rest of the world 3D. Might look a little weird to some, but at least it would fully retain it's simplistic design during battles.

Zeox

Smash Champion
A lot of the series' charm comes from its pixelated sprites. Take that away and it's just not the same.

A good compromise would be keeping the characters, NPCs, and enemies in their pixelated form, but making the rest of the world 3D. Might look a little weird to some, but at least it would fully retain it's simplistic design during battles.
You are right that the sprites gives the world of Mother 3 a lot of charm... but on the other side, the gba compress the music too much, so a remake with the ost remastered would be amazing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yes, the Kunio/River City series does this exact approach and it works. Even Octopath Traveler does it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now I’m legit curious what that new Yoshi death cry is

Is it something that’s memed a lot or...?

D

Deleted member

I mean we all knew Earthbound Beginnings as Mother before it got localized, it was weird when we found out the localized name but here we are.

Also what logo exactly, I'm curious.
The stage select screen logo.

not_mother_3.png

In Brawl, they used the EarthBound logo instead.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is true Simon Belmont for me and many people that grew up with the character.

I don't want the Simon that looks like a Bishonen Anti-Hero, i want a barbaric man that will stand out among the likes of Marth, Link and Cloud. The gothic design just makes Simon lose his appeal in my opinion (well already have quite enough gothic pretty boys in Casltevania like Alucard and Soma, Simon is better off as the Barbaric Vampire Hunter because it makes him stand out from other characters in his own series and in Smash)

Not to mention, This is the design Konami is using to advertise Simon in Girmoire of Souls and Super Bomberman R:

Also Sakurai has a history of preferring Classic Designs over modern ones (Mega Man and Pac-Man) or making the Classic Design the main one (FF7 Cloud is the main design and AC is the Alt) and since Castlevania had a big impact on Sakurai during his early gamer days as much as Zelda, which design do you think he's gonna choose?

The one that dates back all the way back to the 80's where Sakurai played games and is clearly visible on the game's cover art?

or the one that appeared in an obscure 2001 game and is no longer used as the main design in advertising as evidenced by Grimoire of Souls and Super Bomberman R?
Gotta say, I favor the blond barbarian design. I guess they could do a P1/P2...
Or, just have Simon in as the ginger, and put Dovahkiin in to be the blond barbarian; they look similar enough...

I'm not really putting much stock in this leak nonsense. I can't get past a Sunday Direct, and there's a lot of wish-fulfillmenty things on it. And despite all of that, it's not offering Hyrule Warriors DLC with the Champions? Ugh.

But if we do have a playable Kroc next week, I'll totally be okay with that...

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
no need to write essays about which simon design better when you will get both like bayo and cloud lol
Totally agree. We’re gonna get a Bayo situation where half of Simon’s alts are his original and his other half are the recent design, with the recent design being the default one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Someone needs to start a vehicular manslaughter meme with Captain Falcon as to why F-Zero isn't a thing anymore.

If Yoshi commits tax fraud, Captain Falcon had his licenses revoked for vehicular manslaughter.
Time for the usual PSA that Captain Douglas J. Falcon is a murder-happy sociopath.

- In the Melee intro, he pushes Samurai Goroh's Fire Stingray off the track to his explosive death.
- In Brawl's Subspace Emissary he commits mass Pikmin genocide without batting an eye.
- In Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer he commits two counts of Attempted Regicide and successfully killed Chrom's Smash Bros. hopes and dreams.

He is a criminal menace and should not be allowed to pilot a high-speed vehicle, your honor.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly those New Super Mario games shouldn't have Wario OR Waluigi.

Those games should be where they do Super Mario Bros 2 style **** and just have Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. But I supposed they did that with Super Mario 3D World to a degree.
Agreed.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, and Toadette would be good.

D

Deleted member

Totally agree. We’re gonna get a Bayo situation where half of Simon’s alts are his original and his other half are the recent design, with the recent design being the default one.
It seems weird to me to make the "recent" (i assume you mean Chronicles) the default one, even though Konami is marketing the Classic Design as the default while pushing Chronicles to the side.

Mind you that when Mega Man was added in Smash 4, the most recent Classic Games were 9 and 10, which were 8-bit homages just like Mega Man in 4, so you could argue The shorter Mega Man was more "recent" that the lanky design introduced in 7 and 8.

I still think that from what i have seen regarding Smash and Castlevania lately, Blonde Barbarian Simon wil be the default one and that's what most people would prefer, especially those who followed the franchise since the NES.

D

Deleted member

Time for the usual PSA that Captain Douglas J. Falcon is a murder-happy sociopath.

- In the Melee intro, he pushes Samurai Goroh's Fire Stingray off the track to his explosive death.
- In Brawl's Subspace Emissary he commits mass Pikmin genocide without batting an eye.
- In Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer he commits two counts of Attempted Regicide and successfully killed Chrom's Smash Bros. hopes and dreams.

He is a criminal menace and should not be allowed to pilot a high-speed vehicle, your honor.
I don't know why, but the use of the word "PSA" inspired me to make this:
falcon.jpg

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound 2: Electric Boogaloo

But yeah, the whole naming process for the Mother series is whack. People are too used to the game being Mother 3 at this point to call it anything different.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

I think it's easy enough to explain. When Brawl came out, Sonic's two most recent offerings were Sonic '06 and Secret Rings. I'd hate ANYONE who put me through that.

D

Deleted member

mmmhhhh.... Why would they change the logo from Earthbound to Mother 3 if Mother 3 never came outside Japan... yet...
MMMMHHHHHHHHH....
The real reason is pretty mundane; they just want the stage select logos to display the actual game the stage comes from. For example, Saffron City displays Pokemon Red Version / Pokemon Blue Version.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Mother 3's localised name should be Earthbound: Ends of the Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom