• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I mean

It’s not as simple as the Conductor Toon Link/Alphonso situation. The TL/Alphonso thing is simple programming and IF statements, but making an AT, FS cameo, or victory screen cameo playable would undoubtedly be a lot harder. They’d have to remove and/or replace whole bytes of data to make that happen, and that’s a lot more work cause they then gotta test it extensively to make sure there are no bugs. and I dropped the programming track in college halfway through.

I was a huge supporter of Fiora back in the day, but I’ve resigned to her fate of being a FS cameo and am not holding my breath for any “miracles”, cause it’s very unlikely if not impossible that’ll ever happen.
I don't think it would be THAT much work when compared to other newcomer's gimmicks. Inkling's ink looks like it would be loads harder to implement than a series of ifs/variables/whatever that determine whether a character is playable or not.
Character victory lines are already affected by the presence of other characters in a match, so they can do something similar to that.
Depending on how ATs work, I could see something like (super extreme simplification in hasty pseudocode) "IF Waluigi.selected THEN Waluigi.ATSummon% = 0"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah I fail to see why we should trust this user.

They clearly have an agenda with the shade thrown at Waluigi and the defense of Daisy.

And the provide absolutely no proof other than a PM screenshot which means.... nothing ultimately.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Fake crack
No lance
No shield
No angel wings
No horns

Well... there's always the modding community.
Lets keep in mind that the game is unreleased. That just looks like a placeholder thing to me. They could easily go back and correct it once they polish the game up some more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

These are all of the past stage that have not been revealed (credits to ElemtrikDynomite on Reddit for this). Considering how not all of these may come back, which stages would you all like to see return (31 stages are here).
Only stages I can see not coming back for non-dev time issues are Golden Plains, Pac-Maze, Pyrosphere and Miiverse.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Even as a Daisy fan, I don't really see her making top 20......

Like she has a bit of a cult following but i don't think her numbers would stack up THAT well against all the other hundreds of characters people want.

Maybe being a Nintendo character helps a lot more in the ballot than we think? That makes some sense but even thinking about Daisy in the top 20 Nintendo characters people want in Smash is......bizarre. Maybe Smashboards is just a terrible gauge for popularity. :laugh:

I have to agree with Swamp in that Daisy also was added because of her ease as a clone character. There is really no denying that. If she was so popular that she absolutely needed to be in the game then why make her a copypaste of another character? Seems pretty backwards.

I am super happy she got in and hope, though I won't hold my breath, that maybe Nintendo will bring Daisy back into the main series to shake things up a little since she's "so requested" and all. Come on at least make her a fighter in Paper Mario or something. (Also, keep her in the sports outfit, or hell give her a new outfit, to emphasize she isn't Peach's long lost sister thanks.)

(Make crystal bending canon, too. DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT.)

edit: Also, Waluigi. Use your ****ing characters Nintendo. If Waluigi can't be in Warioware then let the poor guy have a few cameo's in the main series. Let them say hi. Let them DO SOMETHING.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I mean

It’s not as simple as the Conductor Toon Link/Alphonso situation. The TL/Alphonso thing is simple programming and IF statements, but making an AT, FS cameo, or victory screen cameo playable would undoubtedly be a lot harder. They’d have to remove and/or replace whole bytes of data to make that happen, and that’s a lot more work cause they then gotta test it extensively to make sure there are no bugs. and I dropped the programming track in college halfway through.

I was a huge supporter of Fiora back in the day, but I’ve resigned to her fate of being a FS cameo and am not holding my breath for any “miracles”, cause it’s very unlikely if not impossible that’ll ever happen.
On this note I do have to point out a few things. One is Zero Suit Samus’s Final Smash, which as pointed out by a few users, uses the exact same model as playable Samus. This is unusual due to the fact that typically this would mean that two versions of the same character would be coexisting, something that wasn’t thought to be possible, but alas, here we are. Another thing that has been drawn to attention by several users, both on Smashboards, Twitter, and Discord, is that Fiora’s model, very similar to Chrom’s model, has an unusually high amount of detail for a realistic human model, particularly in the hair. What I find odd about this discrepancy for Chrom his model had a lot of detail because he was meant to be used elsewhere, but for Fiora it’s not specified. This makes me think either she may be used for something else or she was planned to be used somewhere else, but again, we may never know.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
BossPackun is memoryman3, in case you didn't know.
Him and Michaelol are the biggest Daisy trolls ever, so I would not trust them.
Not for this, or the Daisy/Waddle Dee amiibo thing.

Why is everyone upset over the Galacta Knight skin? It's only a recolor for Meta Knight, they don't have to make him look exactly like another character...
Yeah, Galacta Knight would not even make sense as a costume or Meta Knight Echo.
The recolour is fine.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah there's literally no reason to believe this person about Daisy's placement, I really thought Daisy fans were getting better now that she got in...

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Alright let's talk about song inclusions. A lot of the original Mother OST is actually really good. Since we got a stage for each of the three games, I think each having their fair share of the music from each game would be great.

This is a pretty good one. The 8-bit version is also good but the original is too kino.
The fact that there are so many stages == so much music is honestly one of the little things that excites me most.
God the fact that it isn't actually cracked and just painted over irks me.
I'm sure in the midst of a fight no one will notice :p

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
edit: Also, Waluigi. Use your ****ing characters Nintendo. If Waluigi can't be in Warioware then let the poor guy have a few cameo's in the main series. Let them say hi. Let them DO SOMETHING.
As for Waluigi, I want, more than anything else, for him to have his own official main series.

Waluigi's Micro Megagames

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I myself am not entirely sure why the Smash fanbase absolutely hates clones. Like I get wanting your character of choice to be unique, but is being a clone really worse than not being in the game at all?

A character like Daisy...well, no offense but the only way she was getting in was as a clone. I don't see why that's a negative thing...she's in Smash, right? You can play as Daisy.

I understand to an extent, but I think the "clone vs. unique" thing is totally overblown. When characters get in, it's not that Sakurai says, "Eh, who cares? Just make them a clone!" It's more that Sakurai, knowing people want a character, wants to make people happy...so he adds them when he can.

Despite the frustration with Ganondorf, the way we first had him in Melee could very well have been the only way we'd have gotten him. Like, you have to at least acknowledge that Sakurai did a favor. Frankly, if Ganondorf was redone at any point, that could very well have meant sacrificing another character based on the work involved.

I guess I'm spitballing, but I really don't get the argument about clones. You literally got the character you wanted. Who cares if they're not 100% unique? You get to play as your character!

EDIT: Obviously, situations for clones can be quite unique (heh) in how or why they're implemented. I can understand the frustration with getting a character you thought would have been amazing as a unique character NOT being unique (for example, I'd be lightly salted if Rex was a Shulk clone) but at the end of the day I get to play as Rex, and that's awesome.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Lets keep in mind that the game is unreleased. That just looks like a placeholder thing to me. They could easily go back and correct it once they polish the game up some more.
Correct what though?

I don't really see anything wrong with it.
It already looks good as is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As for Waluigi, I want, more than anything else, for him to have his own official main series.

Waluigi's Micro Megagames
I think the problem with Waluigi getting his own game is what the **** would he even get?
Would he get Rusty 2.0?
Wario Land's dead scraps?
Mario's obviously the star of the sports show, but what can you do with someone who's only in the spinoffs?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I myself am not entirely sure why the Smash fanbase absolutely hates clones. Like I get wanting your character of choice to be unique, but is being a clone really worse than not being in the game at all?

A character like Daisy...well, no offense but the only way she was getting in was as a clone. I don't see why that's a negative thing...she's in Smash, right? You can play as Daisy.

I understand to an extent, but I think the "clone vs. unique" thing is totally overblown. When characters get in, it's not that Sakurai says, "Eh, who cares? Just make them a clone!" It's more that Sakurai, knowing people want a character, wants to make people happy...so he adds them when he can.

Despite the frustration with Ganondorf, the way we first had him in Melee could very well have been the only way we'd have gotten him. Like, you have to at least acknowledge that Sakurai did a favor. Frankly, if Ganondorf was redone at any point, that could very well have meant sacrificing another character based on the work involved.

I guess I'm spitballing, but I really don't get the argument about clones. You literally got the character you wanted. Who cares if they're not 100% unique? You get to play as your character!
I've never hated clones, ever.

Back in Melee, they were just more characters to play as. Falcondorf didn't even register to me as a problem, at all.
In Brawl, I vaguely remember my friends saying something along the lines of "why is the third Star Fox character another Fox clone", my response? "Really? They're not that similar." Or something to that effect.
Smash 4? Same as Melee, more characters.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I really have to say, nothing is ever really gonna please Daisy fans at this point, they may go on the same way forever, cause I'd argue that nothing's really changed now that she's in Smash (They might have actually gotten worse)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think the problem with Waluigi getting his own game is what the **** would he even get?
Would he get Rusty 2.0?
Wario Land's dead scraps?
Mario's obviously the star of the sports show, but what can you do with someone who's only in the spinoffs?
Wario was all about the money, but Waluigi probably wants fame or something.
Or to be loved/noticed, at all. A reason to not be jealous.

Like, a game where he's the protagonist and keeps trying to solve problems and ends up just getting in everyone's way until something real bad happens and he fixes it and someone gives him a high five or something.

An open world post apocalyptic rpg.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah there's literally no reason to believe this person about Daisy's placement, I really thought Daisy fans were getting better now that she got in...
Lets not generalize a whole group of people. The only thing Daisy fans have in common is that they like Daisy. Thats it. Seem goes for Waluigi, Geno, K, Rool, Ashley, etc.

Generalizing isn't a healthy practice nor is it fair to people who actually know how to behave themselves. Yes, there are crazy Daisy fans that have some weird beef with Waluigi, but they aren't the majority.

I'm not trying to call you out so don't take it that way. I'm just trying to speak my mind about the "Daisy fan hivemind" nonsense I've seen around here for a while. We all like Daisy. Some of us happen to be crazy, some of us are not. Please don't let a few bad apples make the rest of us look bad.

Fun fact though Daisy apparently has her own fan wiki specifically for her.........................."why?" you ask. I don't know, but it bothers me. Some fanboys need to take fanboying less seriously. :laugh:
Correct what though?

I don't really see anything wrong with it.
It already looks good as is.
It looks pretty mediocre to me. People were paid to do that. I'm not saying they should give him a lance and shield but would it really be that difficult to make it a crack and not paint on the mask? Horns would be nice too.

To be completely fair though I probably wouldn't have noticed had someone not brought it up in here. If it releases like that, I probably will just stick to pure white Meta Knight.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is it just me or are gaming sites reporting on "leaks" a lot more this time around? It's really annoying because most of them are hilariously bad and don't deserve full articles. I know it's for clicks but it's honestly shameless.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wario was all about the money, but Waluigi probably wants fame or something.
Or to be loved/noticed, at all. A reason to not be jealous.

Like, a game where he's the protagonist and keeps trying to solve problems and ends up just getting in everyone's way until something real bad happens and he fixes it and someone gives him a high five or something.

An open world post apocalyptic rpg.
A plot like the Justice League episode "The Greatest Story Never Told".

Waluigi does something cool and important by himself, but nobody notices because they're dealing with something else that's just as big a threat.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright let's talk about song inclusions. A lot of the original Mother OST is actually really good. Since we got a stage for each of the three games, I think each having their fair share of the music from each game would be great.

This is a pretty good one. The 8-bit version is also good but the original is too kino.

God the fact that it isn't actually cracked and just painted over irks me.
First, I agree about the Galacta Knight skin, is just lazy.
Second, about the music, I have my own dream OST that I would like to see (or rather, hear) in Smash, and that would be Plok's ost:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Even as a Daisy fan, I don't really see her making top 20......

Like she has a bit of a cult following but i don't think her numbers would stack up THAT well against all the other hundreds of characters people want.

Maybe being a Nintendo character helps a lot more in the ballot than we think? That makes some sense but even thinking about Daisy in the top 20 Nintendo characters people want in Smash is......bizarre. Maybe Smashboards is just a terrible gauge for popularity. :laugh:

I have to agree with Swamp in that Daisy also was added because of her ease as a clone character. There is really no denying that. If she was so popular that she absolutely needed to be in the game then why make her a copypaste of another character? Seems pretty backwards.

I am super happy she got in and hope, though I won't hold my breath, that maybe Nintendo will bring Daisy back into the main series to shake things up a little since she's "so requested" and all. Come on at least make her a fighter in Paper Mario or something. (Also, keep her in the sports outfit, or hell give her a new outfit, to emphasize she isn't Peach's long lost sister thanks.)

(Make crystal bending canon, too. DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT.)

I don't really think characters existing alone gives them reason to be used (see: Sonic's extended and mostly worthless cast, not helped by Sonic Team's astoundingly abysmal writing). Waluigi was created and Daisy was revived purely to give certain characters a partner. Waluigi showing up where Wario doesn't is pointless, even more than Daisy because she at least is princess of her own kingdom. Waluigi barely antagonizes Luigi even in the games where he appears if at all.

I don't think it's completely impossible to give him reason to exist outside roster filler, but Mario barely uses anyone outside the core cast as is. Maybe they could give Waluigi an e-shop title in response to all the epic may mays.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

These are all of the past stage that have not been revealed (credits to ElemtrikDynomite on Reddit for this). Considering how not all of these may come back, which stages would you all like to see return (31 stages are here).
All the Mario/DK/Yoshi/Wario stages except Mario Bros and the DK Brawl stage
Both Star Fox stages
All Metroid stages
Mute City (3DS version)
Pac Maze
Both Kirby stages
Poke Floats
Pirate Ship
Miiverse in some shape/form
NO to Windy Hills (replace with a new Sonic stage), no IC stage from Melee, no old Mute City (maybe...can’t remember what it was), none of this crap :hanenbow:(**** that place)

And that’s all

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
A plot like the Justice League episode "The Greatest Story Never Told".

Waluigi does something cool and important by himself, but nobody notices because they're dealing with something else that's just as big a threat.
Yo, I want a whole spin-off comic where Waluigi, during the events of The Great Mario saving Peach from being married AGAIN. Waluigi is out in the background saving the universe from Tabuu or something.

Make him the One Punch man of the Mario series. It would be toooo perfect. Mario is the "hero" who screws around crashing weddings and swimming while Waluigi is the clown who no one notices has saved them like 20 times.

Hire me Nintendo.

I don't really think characters existing alone gives them reason to be used (see: Sonic's extended and mostly worthless cast, not helped by Sonic Team's astoundingly abysmal writing). Waluigi was created and Daisy was revived purely to give certain characters a partner. Waluigi showing up where Wario doesn't is pointless, even more than Daisy because she at least is princess of her own kingdom. Waluigi barely antagonizes Luigi even in the games where he appears if at all.

I don't think it's completely impossible to give him reason to exist outside roster filler, but Mario barely uses anyone outside the core cast as is. Maybe they could give Waluigi an e-shop title in response to all the epic may mays.
I agree mostly, but when your as huge as Mario is there really is no excuse for forgetting characters exist. I'm not saying they should be shoved into every game like Sonic does, but a cameo here or there? A world in Odyssey? Just basic world building? Come on.

I'm not (seriously) asking for full-on spinoffs or for the characters to be major or integrated into every game, but just throwing them in the trash? I dunno, seems like so much wasted potential to me.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lets not generalize a whole group of people. The only thing Daisy fans have in common is that they like Daisy. Thats it. Seem goes for Waluigi, Geno, K, Rool, Ashley, etc.

Generalizing isn't a healthy practice nor is it fair to people who actually know how to behave themselves. Yes, there are crazy Daisy fans that have some weird beef with Waluigi, but they aren't the majority.

I'm not trying to call you out so don't take it that way. I'm just trying to speak my mind about the "Daisy fan hivemind" nonsense I've seen around here for a while. We all like Daisy. Some of us happen to be crazy, some of us are not. Please don't let a few bad apples make the rest of us look bad.

Fun fact though Daisy apparently has her own fan wiki specifically for her.........................."why?" you ask. I don't know, but it bothers me. Some fanboys need to take fanboying less seriously. :laugh:
No of course I wasn't trying to describe the entire Daisy fanbase, I just am referring to those few bad apples that have to rustle up the bunch is all. There are Daisy fans I love to be around actually, it's just that some have to ruin the fun for others and act like nothing is ever good enough for them because it isn't exactly the way they want it, and that's annoying when they're just impossible to please.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Out of interest. DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , is there any correlation between Smashboard's top 10 and the top 10 most leaked?

I don't expect there to be much correlation, but it's worth asking. XD
OKAY!

I've compiled a list of the top ten most active, and most supported Newcomers on this site.
They are ordered by the number of Supporters. The sole exceptions are K. Rool, Krystal and Bandana Waddle Dee: K. Rool has a Support List so huge that BKupa666 had to stop recording them; Krystal and Bandana Waddle Dee simply don't seem to have Support Lists? Maybe they were in the same boat, I don't know. I had to use K. Rool's Smash 4 era support list, but I imagine it's... bigger, let's just say that.

K. Rool
#1 Most Active; 661 Known Supporters​
Isaac
#3 Most Active; 372 Supporters​
Dixie Kong
#8 Most Active; 202 Supporters​
Captain Toad
#11 Most Active*; 151 Supporters​
Ashley
#2 Most Active; 138 Supporters (86 Supporters listed on Main Page)​
Lip
#7 Most Active; 117 Supporters​
Takamaru
#9 Most Active; 62 Supporters​
Geno
#6 Most Active; 52 Supporters​
Elma
#10 Most Active*; 50 Supporters​
Krystal
#4 Most Active; Unknown Support Number​
B. W. Dee
#5 Most Active; Unknown Support Number​

*With Captain Toad and Elma, their threads were equally active, and had almost the same amount of posts when I was compiling the list.
Quoted the top 10 post for convenience.

Anyways, lets start by comparing the Top 10 and their placement and mentions on the Count.

K. Rool - Overwhelmingly number one with 114 mentions (in 61.95% of leaks). Has a large fanbase and has been a popular pick since Pre-Smash 4. I'd say there could definitely a correlation exists here.

Isaac - Tied with Springman in 17th place with, funnily enough, 17 mentions (in 9.23% of leaks). Falls behind prominent echoes, third parties, and more popular first party picks. If there were a correlation he'd have a lot more mentions.

Dixie Kong - 4th place with 56 mentions (in 30.43% of leaks). A correlation is possible, but like K. Rool, Dixie has been a popular pick since Pre-Smash 4.

Captain Toad - Tied with many characters in 31st place, or as a call it, 2 mentions hell (in 1.08% of leaks). Better than 1 mention hell I guess. Absolutely no correlation.

Ashley - 6th place with 49 mentions (in 26.63% of leaks). A correlation between fanbase size and leak mentions could exist, but Ashley also garners a fair amount of support in Japan, and even has the occasional support thread in /v/ (though some are opposed to her as they consider her a loli).

Lip - Tied with Metal Mario and Doom Guy in 28th place with 5 mentions (in 2.71% of leaks). If a correlation exists, it's weak (she has a similar amount of fans as Ashley, but much lower mentions).

Takamaru - No mentions, no correlation. He was mentioned a couple times before the official reveal, but after that he was never mentioned again.

Geno - 7th place with 45 mentions (24.45% of leaks). Again, if a correlation exists it's weaker, as despite his lower amount of fans and fan activity, he has only 4 mentions less than Ashley.

Elma - 8th place with 32 mentions. A correlation could exist given Elma's smaller fanbase, but also that she shares a franchise with Rex & Pyra, who were considered much more likely pre-reveal, and still show up in a moderate amount of leaks (14th place with 21 mentions, or 11.41% of leaks)

Krystal - Tied with many characters in 32nd place, or 1 mention hell (in 0.54% of leaks). Absolutely no correlation. She might've appeared in more leaks had she not been confirmed as an assist trophy so early on.

Bandana Dee - Tied with Decidueye in 12th place with 24 mentions (in 13.04% of leaks). Little to no correlation given his large and active fanbase.

Is it just me or are gaming sites reporting on "leaks" a lot more this time around? It's really annoying because most of them are hilariously bad and don't deserve full articles. I know it's for clicks but it's honestly shameless.
Clickbait culture is much larger than it was during the days of Smash 4 speculation. People are desperate for views, clicks, and that sweet, sweet ad revenue.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Also, Waluigi. Use your ****ing characters Nintendo. If Waluigi can't be in Warioware then let the poor guy have a few cameo's in the main series. Let them say hi. Let them DO SOMETHING.
No, let Waluigi suffer continuously
Just make Waluigi into the Deadpool of Nintendo and have him invade other franchises.
But we have the Kid Icarus series for that kind of stuff, Waluigi needs his own thing (like a pimp game of Grand Theft Wah)
I really have to say, nothing is ever really gonna please Daisy fans at this point, they may go on the same way forever, cause I'd argue that nothing's really changed now that she's in Smash (They might have actually gotten worse)
Daisy fans don’t seem to have a problem with her in Smash, that seems more of a Waluigi fan problem

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
(though some are opposed to her as they consider her a loli)
You know things like this alone are why 4Chan members never really fail to amuse me. Honestly some of the things they say are actually kind of humorous in this ironic sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom