• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
:ultdk::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultshulk::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultsamus::ultvillager:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One of the posts there:

"Why is THIS the Kirby rep people seem to be clamoring for? An obscure Dee variant? How about Adeline? "

Calls Waddle Dee obscure, wants Adeleine... I hate 4chan.
Actually, this reminds me of that Brawl in the Family comic.

D

Deleted member

Sheik is actually BoTW Zelda.

Think about it!

• The outfit Sheik is wearing is the Sheikh Slate from VoTE and not from any other game.
  • While Zelda from BOTW isn't a fighter, Sakurai never said she wasn't in the game.
  • And it can't be any other Zelda since they clearly have designs linked to them.
  • And certainly not Ultimate Zelda since she's younger and in her ALTTP/ALBW design.

Give credit to Champ Gold Champ Gold please.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
:ultdk:>:ultpikachu:>:ultshulk:>:ultmario:>:ultsamus:>:ultlink:=:ultkirby:=:ultmarth:=:ultvillager:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Think about it!

• The outfit Sheik is wearing is the Sheikh Slate from VoTE and not from any other game.
  • While Zelda from BOTW isn't a fighter, Sakurai never said she wasn't in the game.
  • And it can't be any other Zelda since they clearly have designs linked to them.
  • And certainly not Ultimate Zelda since she's younger and in her ALTTP/ALBW design.

Credit to Champ Gold Champ Gold please.
Nah, that's clearly just Link crossdressing again.

D

Deleted member

even if Sakurai says no someone higher up will probably ask to add Isabelle anyway because she's a face of modern Nintendo or whatever.
And then Sakurai would just say "no" again because he's got the final say.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Mine would be a bit similar to yours but a few changes: :ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultdk::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

:ultshulk::ultsamus::ultfox::ultdk::ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultmarth::ultwario::ultmario::ultvillager:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Hmmmm...

With Echo Fighters
:ultdk::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultlink::ultvillager::ultkirby::ultmarth::ultmario:

Without Echo Fighters
:ultdk::ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultkirby::ultmario::ultlink::ultmarth::ultsamus:

Probably goes without saying that certain franchises have one character in particular that I factor into the equation. I think either K. Rool or Dixie Kong :ultdk: is happening, and a new Pokemon :ultpikachu: just doesn't seem like a tradition that will be broken anytime soon. Dark Samus :ultsamus: is probably going to be an Echo Fighter, Elma :ultshulk: has a pretty good shot, Isabelle :ultvillager: does too but I don't really see her being an Echo if she makes it. I'm 50/50 on Bandana Dee :ultkirby: and I think Zelda :ultlink: is probably among the most likely series to get an Echo Fighter, but I can't really see who they would add as a brand new character. Fire Emblem :ultmarth: character could happen but we already have Lucina as an Echo and we haven't had a brand new game in a while (although I think people are sleeping on Celica a bit). Geno or Captain Toad :ultmario: are possible, moreso the former, but I'm not sure I particularly expect them.

D

Deleted member

Here is mine:
:ultpikachu:=:ultdk:=:ultkirby:>:ultlink:>:ultshulk::ultmario::ultvillager:>:ultmarth::ultsamus:

Last edited by a moderator:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
There is nothing cringy about Sonic besides Big the Cat and the fact that Amy is 12 years old...all those years thinking she was a 15-16 year old warrior
She is now, since at the time Sonic was 16. Since Sonic is at least 20 as of Generations Amy being 16 should be correct.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Think about it!

Don't think it is. It's just a Unique Sheik design based off the stealth armour. that's all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't think it is. It's just a Unique Sheik design based off the stealth armour. that's all.
Also doesn't help that the BotW Zelda is stuck in Ganondorf's man-womb for 99% of the game.

God, did I just say "Ganondorf's man-womb?")

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Think about it!

Highly unlikely.

But cool theory bro.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hm one thing I forgot to say back at the E3 reveal that has to do with discussion for future newcomers.

Before the Inkling's moveset was revealed and people speculated what each move would be, I remember it being thrown around a lot that none of the moves would be a punch, kick, etc. because the Inklings never do that in their games. Well several of their neutrals are just physical hits.

Point being Sakurai does take influence for a character from their game source however it's never 1:1. This should have been clear since 64 where Link was made able to jump. We wouldn't even have characters like Fox and Captain Falcon if this was the case. My point is though he continues to do this, inspired by the game but never 1:1 translation. So one example being Captain Toad, wouldn't be hindered by his ability to jump, and I'm sure there are others that follow suit.

Was just reminded of this thought today and I don't remember seeing anyone bringing it up since E3, although this discussion does move quickly at times.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225

I'll raise you a: :ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultmario::ultlink::ultdk::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultsamus:.

Since I'm back, maybe I'll leave you with my top 10 overall most desired characters for Smash:
1. Misty
2. Shantae
3. King K. Rool
4. Mini Kangaroo
5. Impa
6. Elma
7. Bubblun
8. Marx
9. Labo Man
10. Simon Belmont
HM: Kid Icarus characters

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

:ultdk::ultmario::ultshulk::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultsamus:

I did mine based on potential characters, along with the popularity of said characters, and then took into account precedent.

DK has Funkie, Dixie, and K. Rool. Funky and Dixie are easy Echo/Semi-Clone material and K. Rool was pretty big around the time of the Ballot.

Mario is Mario. Captain Toad seems too good to ignore.

Sakurai likes Xenoblade and Elma has a really solid design and style that sets her apart from everyone else on the roster. There is also Rex/Pyra as DLC options.

Pokemon is Pokemon. We have a ton of them already so I feel like the "no new Pokemon" newcomer is a possibility so thats why its only 4th.

Kirby has Marx and Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee is very popular. Don't know about Marx but he's worth mentioning.

Champions/Impa are both pretty obvious picks at this point but who knows if they'll give LoZ anything else this game. At the very least I expect some DLC character.

Fire Emblem is Fire Emblem.

Isabelle is pretty much the only possibility. The more time I've had to think about it the less and less likely I felt she was. Then again Sakurai is Sakurai.

Samus has been sitting in the back for a few games. I think Ridley is pretty much all they are getting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Meh, why not
:ultdk:- K. Rool is highly requested and may make the base roster. Dixie could be DLC, and Funky could be an AT
:ultkirby:- Three words: Bandana. Waddle. Dee.
:ultshulk:- Elma debuted in Japan just in time for the Ultimate roster draft (JP got it in May 2015, while we got it in December, right after the ballot ended). There’s also Rex/Pyra (and a possible Addam/Mythra echo) but they’re more likely to be DLC.
:ultpikachu:- gotta represent every gen, now. We’ll get at least one, not sure who atm
:ultmario:- Geno is highly requested, he may have a shot
:ultsamus:- may get a Dark Samus echo if not an AT, may also get Sylux, either in base roster or DLC
:ultmarth:- Chrom echo at the most, since he was also highly requested.
:ultlink: - don’t really see anyone new, but if we did, it’d be either Impa or someone from HW
:ultvillager: - not counting on anyone new. Isabelle may be an AT again.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Newcomer likelihood for me: :ultshulk::ultkirby::ultmario::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultlink::ultmarth::ultsamus:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Mine:
:ultmario:: It's happening. It might be Geno, it might be Paper Mario, it might be Captain Toad, but I'm more certain of this happening than any other franchise still.
:ultpikachu:: Again, Pokemon, like Mario, usually get multiple characters as they're the BIG TWO of Nintendo(Sorry Zelda). Even with the return of Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu(as well as Leaf joining Red as an alt for Pokemon Trainer) I could easily see another new mon join the squad.
:ultdk:: The outcry has surely reached Sakurai's ears with cries for the antagonist, the tritagonist and even Cranky and Funky getting support to some extent. Only reason I'm less certain than the other two is DK has...basically gotten barely anything over the years, so maybe Sakurai just doesn't wanna. No Rambi assist trophy even which I find stunning.
:ultvillager:: Isabelle. Unlike the above, this entirely is based on Isabelle's likelihood rather than multiple other characters. She's more popular than the majority of other characters combined with only her pacifism arguably stopping her. Said pacifism which was a non issue in Mario Kart 8- she's happily blowing people up with bombs and shells, so it may not be as big a deal as people make out.
:ultkirby:: Dee or bust IMO. We could get a surprise like Marx or my personal favourite Gooey(highly unlikely despite him being the Luigi to Kirby briefly) but Dee is a much bigger star. Only putting this low because Sakurai may feel his trio of protagonists is enough as Dee got his big roles after Sakurai stopped being the head of Kirby and frankly Mario and Pokemon generally get better priority, Isabelle is insanely popular and DK has been desperate for any kind of content forever.
:ultshulk:: Elma, Cross(who often gets looked over but is technically possible still), Rex and Pyra possibly if sketches were a thing at the time. Definite possibility, just the series is still fairly niche compared to the above...not that it's stopped Sakurai in the past, but I think newcomers from the above series would draw a bigger crowd overall.
:ultmarth:: Ok, I know. Fire Emblem. But it's become a much bigger household name since Sm4sh and Heroes has been the biggest SMASH(heh) hit for the Mobile market. They missed a trick with making Lyn an assist. Girl's incredibly popular, but there's many others to choose from.
:ultlink:: Echo or bust I feel. Impa is likely as has gained a bit of a fandom since Sm4sh, but I don't expect a unique newcomer from the series after Link, Zelda and Ganondorf all got moveset overhauls and Young Link was brought back too.
:ultsamus:: Possibly Dark Samus as an echo or semi clone but I think Sakurai may think Metroid fans are satisfied with their big purple boy now and I can't see him added Anthony Higgins(mores the pity) or Sylux just yet.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not sure if new news, but Tingle's been spotted on Great Bay:

Comes from the Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream.

It doesn't mean he can't still be an AT (shoutout to Knuckles), but at least he's not MIA anymore (though maybe some would've preferred that :p)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I also have a random fun game! out of your favorite series in smash, what's the most unlikely character you want in it?
Gooey for me.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
>Zelda
>ever getting a new character

People thought the same thing during Smash 4's wait and DLC.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I also have a random fun game! out of your favorite series in smash, what's the most unlikely character you want in it?
Gooey for me.
Banjo Kazooie :'(

Actually Bubsy. I know his game is garbage, but I LOVED Bubsy on my Sega Genesis, and I think he could be an incredibly fun and silly character. (But he would NEVER get in Smash)

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'm in the "Isabelle is ultra-likely" camp, there's plenty of logic behind not picking her but I'm firmly convinced Nintendo wants her in everything ever, they slap her onto everything ever and market her in everything ever, even if Sakurai says no someone higher up will probably ask to add Isabelle anyway because she's a face of modern Nintendo or whatever.
Hell, I don't think there's even any logic in not picking her. She's a very popular and relevant character, she hasn't had a history of being rejected like Toad or Waddle Dee and its obvious that Sakurai can make a moveset for her if he can make one for characters like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt.

She's on such a completely different level of importance and star power compared to commonly suggested newcomers like K. Rool, Dixie Kong, a Rhythm Heaven Rep and Elma that its comical how under the radar she is among hardcore Smashers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Gooey for me.
From Sonic, most unlikely newcomer is: Dr. Eggman.

I know Sonic is most popular in USA but I still doubt they'd go for him, especially with Bowser Jr. in the roster.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

It doesn't mean he can't still be an AT (shoutout to Knuckles), but at least he's not MIA anymore (though maybe some would've preferred that :p)
I think Tingle-support thread had already noted this. Comes also bit bumming time to me because lately I had revisited Tingle's Roseful Rupeeland. :dizzy:

D

Deleted member

Actually, this reminds me of that Brawl in the Family comic.
I shared that Brawl in the Family comic twice in NintenZone to talk about Adeleine in Smash Bros.
Good times. :lol:
>Zelda
>ever getting a new character

People thought the same thing during Smash 4's wait and DLC.
Considering BOTW is now out and it is the most bought Zelda game ever, the Legend of Zelda series is more likely to get a newcomer.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I'll go for it:

:ultdk: - King K Rool seems likely to me. Plus, Dixie would be an easy semi-clone, and Funky an easy echo. Three strong possibilities
:ultpikachu: - I still think we're getting a Gen 7 rep. Probably Decidueye or Mimikyu
:ultmarth: - I believe Chrom will be an Ike echo. So many signs pointing to it
:ultkirby: - Bandanna Dee seems like an obvious addition because of popularity
:ultlink: - Impa seems likely as a Sheik clone, Skull Kid might get in too (not an argument, but his AT is still MIA, so he's still in the running)
:ultmario: - Geno seems very likely. Other than that, probably no one else
:ultsamus: - Dark Samus is a possible echo, but...she fights nothing like Samus, so I don't think she makes sense as an echo (unlike Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, and some other echo ideas - Chrom, Impa, Isabelle, Funky, etc.)
:ultshulk: - Elma is a possibility if Xenoblade gets another rep. Plus Sakurai liked the game. And apparently bought a mecha gun for some reference
:ultvillager: - Maybe Isabelle? Her proportions are off though

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Gooey for me.
Aside from Mario, which I feel Captain Toad could count as the unlikely character from it at this point, I'd probably second your answer; freaking love Gooey. He's probably my favourite Kirby character alongside Bandana Dee. Just such a simple and goofy design I can't help but smile whenever I see his big dumb googly face.

Following that probably Vaati from Legend of Zelda, who is my favourite villain and also sadly one of the few major characters to not get a playable Hyrule Warriors role!

StormC

Smash Hero

Good. Popping his balloon was one of the best parts of that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom