• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It was me, I put him in as one of my unique newcomers in your game and uh...I just want the Persona 5 music XD. I really don't care for the character but I do love the aestethic and I think he could have a flashy, anime like fighting style. Actually I imagine he'd fight simialr to Bayonetta, especially since he also uses a "gun".

But yea I don't know much about the character but love the series aestethic and music. Sorry not much help lol.

Just speaking for myself here, it actually doesn't have to do with the having the same character thing. Like if we got Pyrosphere back with Boss Ridley it wouldn't bother me, like this game is non-canon and you can have 8 Mario's fight each other. Seriously never understood why that mattered.

However, we have never had a newcomer been shown before being revealed as a newcomer...outside of Dark Pit which I will concede on, however he was still in a reveal trailer. It's super anti-climactic and very un-Sakurai to reveal a background or stage hazard character and then reveal them as playable. So yea Duck Hunt Dog is fine because his stage was revealed in his announcement trailer. Idc if Tingle fights on top of another Tingle's balloon, but it's real weird they would show the stage hazard first.
Hahahaha, that’s okay! I was just curious. I want Sora for the Kingdom Hearts music. I just don’t know how well his chances fare so I didn’t have him in my 12 Newcomer thing for base roster. Fingers crossed for DLC though.

I have another game I’d like to play with everyone too. Just regarding stages though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
CHALLENGE

I challenge you all to create a newcomer roster of 15-17 characters, because those numbers are in between the amount of newcomers Melee and Brawl had. 10-12 of them have to be unique and the rest have to be echo fighters (2 of them can be Semi-Clones however).
Again? Okay, then...
  1. Inkling
  2. Ridley
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Decidueye or Incineroar, but not both.
  6. Celica
  7. Ashley
  8. Isaac
  9. Tails
  10. Shadow (Wolf-Style Semi-Clone of Sonic)
  11. Simon Belmont
  12. Sephiroth
  13. Daisy (echo of Peach)
  14. Ken (echo of Ryu)
  15. Bandana Dee (if Sakurai elects to include him) or Elma (if not)
Inkling, Ridley
Echoes: Daisy, Ken
Semi-clones: Dixie Kong (possesses gameplay elements of both DK and Diddy), Shadow (Luigi-like Clone of Sonic, shares some moves/specials with Sonic, but is otherwise unique).
Unique: K. Rool, Incineroar (a wrestler archetype is marginally more unique than an Archer), B. Dee, Celica, Ashley, Isaac, Tails, S. Belmont, Sephiroth (slow, floaty and lightweight, has long, multi-hitting animations, requiring precision to counter easy punishes).

Chase

Smash Ace
Thanks for everyone who replied to my post about about 12 newcomers.

Here’s a challenge for you all,
Since the OG12 seems to hold such an importance this time around. Let’s do a 12 Newcomers list. They can be predicted, wanted, or both. Rules are 8 original/unique characters (2 of which have already been revealed in Inkling and Ridley, so you only need 6 more.) 2 semi-clones, and 2 Echoes (1 of which is Daisy, so you really only need 1 more.)

And....GO!
This is likely not even close to realistic, but here mine is:

• Unique
    • :ultinkling:
    • :ultridley:
    • Elma (Xenoblade)
    • Decidueye (Pokémon)
    • Simon Belmont (CastleVania)
    • Bandana Dee (Kirby)
    • King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
    • Geno (Mario)
  • Semi-Clone
    • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong) -> :ultdiddy:
    • Impa (The Legend of Zelda) -> :ultsheik:
  • Echo
    • :ultdaisy: -> :ultpeach:
    • Shadow (Sonic) -> :ultsonic:

Noipoi

Howdy!
To be honest, same here. There are ideas I like, but as far as things I really want, there's maybe only two or three characters that would get me more excited than simply thinking "Huh. Neat." if they got in. Ashley and Bandana Dee are the only characters left on my hype list that haven't gotten confirmed as non-playable yet, so I'm still holding out some hope.

...Knowing my luck, Ashley's Assist Trophy will probably be shown off tomorrow...D:
DON'T JINX IT

On the topic of predictions however,

Unique
1. Inkling
2. Ridley
3. Ashley
4. Geno
5. K. Rool
6. Simon Belmont
7. Rayman
8. Gen 7 Pokemon

Semi-Clone
1. Dixie (Diddy)
2. Isabelle (Villager)

Echo
1. Daisy (Peach)
2. Shadow maybe?

This would honestly be the ultimate roster in my opinion, nothing would make me happier and it would make this perfect game even more perfect!

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I can’t recall who on here wants Joker from Persona, but if you could step forward and explain as to why, I’d love to know.

I just don’t know much about the franchise or the character, and I’d like to understand more.
I'm not someone who actively wants Joker, but I am someone who would be pleasantly surprised if he made it in for some ungodly reason.
But I don't actively care about his inclusion because I feel like it's impossible.

D

Deleted member

CHALLENGE

I challenge you all to create a newcomer roster of 15-17 characters, because those numbers are in between the amount of newcomers Melee and Brawl had. 10-12 of them have to be unique and the rest have to be echo fighters (2 of them can be Semi-Clones however).
Three questions:
  1. Does this include Ridley, Daisy, and Inkling?
  2. Is this supposed be a prediction, or is it a wishlist?
  3. While we're at it, are disconfirmed characters allowed?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is what I would go with too except replace Geno with Captain Toad and add Bandana Dee in place of Rhythem Heaven.

My only issue with it is its a bit too safe but I don't care about that personally. I just recognize a few others would find the list boring (we already got Ridley its fine).
Actually I would put in captain toad over rytheme heaven

They are only there if second times a charm for a rep with the data mine of 4

Geno is because samurai actually wants him playable he said it for brawl and smash 4 it might be third times since square Enid is at the beginning instead of the end

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I know if XC2 gets representation as DLC (I highly doubt it'll be base game), Rex and Pyra are the likely choices, but if I HAD to pick one character, it'd be Nia. She'd have a fun moveset with her weapons. Also, top tier accent.

D

Deleted member

Since the OG12 seems to hold such an importance this time around. Let’s do a 12 Newcomers list. They can be predicted, wanted, or both. Rules are 8 original/unique characters (2 of which have already been revealed in Inkling and Ridley, so you only need 6 more.) 2 semi-clones, and 2 Echoes (1 of which is Daisy, so you really only need 1 more.)

And....GO!
1. Inkling
2. Ridley
3. King K. Rool
4. Geno
5. Incineroar
6. Simon Belmont
7. Chorus Kids
8. Ashley

9. Dixie Kong
10. Dark Samus

11. Daisy
12. Shadow

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm not someone who actively wants Joker, but I am someone who would be pleasantly surprised if he made it in for some ungodly reason.
But I don't actively care about his inclusion because I feel like it's impossible.
Sakurai might appreciate the potential "a character you'll never see coming" troll.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
If Skull Kid doesn't get in in this game, what with Young Link's return and his relevancy in MM 3D in 2015 and in Hyrule Warriors, his only hope for future games will be solely due to fan demand.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

And....GO!
  1. Inkling
  2. Ridley
  3. Captain Toad
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Isabelle
  6. Chibi-Robo
  7. Isaac
  8. Paper Mario

9. Dixie Kong
  10. Chrom

11. Daisy
  12. Impa

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
We got our first look at the Champions at the January 2017 Switch presentation. Assuming Sakurai had never seen the Champions until then, that's still nearly two years before SSBU's release date. After seeing how incredible BotW turned out to be, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai felt like a Zelda newcomer from that game would be worth considering. As far as putting them on the roster, all four Champions are equally important, and I don't see why he should feel obligated to add all of them as individual characters. From my perspective, it should be as simple as Sakurai just picking the Champion he think would be best for Smash.

Although, I'll admit that Skull Kid has the advantage of popularity. The Champions were so new back then that popularity wouldn't have been a factor that would've helped or hurt their chances.
That's a year after the project plan proposal, a reminder that the only characters ever added to the roster after the project plan was done were the Melee clones, the Smash 4 alt-costume clones, and Sonic, while Sonic got that exception because he was originally planned (with Sega rejecting the initial request) and was put back in when Sega changed their mind because he was the most requested character by such a massive margin and because it's ****ing Sonic. The Champions are no Sonic, and if Sakurai was desperate for a Zelda newcomer, he would have just went with Skull Kid or Impa or any of the other existing Zelda characters to begin with, instead of waiting until mid-development and then deciding to pick one of the Champions.

Enchess

Smash Lord

And....GO!
Going to go with wanted.

Unique
1. Ridley
2. Inkling
3. K Rool
4. Isaac
5. Elma
6. Mio Amakura
7. Saki Amamiya
8. Lip

Semi-Clones
9. Dixie Kong (mostly :ultdiddy:with some:ultdk:, like up-B and walking with grab)
10. Masked Man :ultlucas:

Echoes
11. Daisy
12. Bowletta :ultbowser:
(Her difference would be making stationary fireballs instead of normal Bowser fire. After being stationary and unexploded for 10 seconds she can hit them herself to heal 5%. Probably only 1 maybe 2 out at once for balance reasons. That's a small enough change right? It's only one move and would have same animation)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Here's a question for you Zelda fans out there.
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

I'm going to list some potential Zelda characters.

I want you to say how likely you think they are and how much you want them and why.

I won't be using deconfirmed characters like Midna, Tingle or Ghirahim. Sorry.

• Marin
  • Darunia
  • Ruto
  • Impa
  • Skull Kid
  • Fierce Diety Link
  • Vaati
  • Tetra
  • King Daphnes
  • Medli
  • Toon Zelda
  • Toon Ganondorf
  • Agitha
  • Zant
  • Linebeck
  • Byrne
  • Fi
  • Groose
  • Demise
  • Ravio
  • Hilda
  • Yuga
  • Lana
  • Cia
  • Linkle
  • Volga
  • Wizzro
  • Urbosa
  • Revali
  • Daruk
  • Mipha
That should cover everyone...
Impa: The Zelda character with the best chance of making it in Smash as a newcomer. Echo, Semi-Clone (hopefully), or (again hopefully) unique she'll find someway to make in this game as a playable character either as her Skyward Sword version or as her Hyrule Warriors version which would give her an excuse to bring her GIANT BLADE OF DOOM, or her Naginata to brun enemies to a crisp.

Tetra: She probably has the best chance next to Impa since she could be the 3rd Zelda. Just like how Link has 3 different character version of himself, if Tetra makes it in, then Zelda can 3 version of herself (with Sheik being her second version)

Fi: It isn't everyday you find a character who can gracefully glide, and skate across the battlefield with ease, and proceed to carve her enemies to pieces by transforming into a blade. Like Wii Fit Trainer Sakurai could add more depth and expression to her face since that's what he's going for now. Now it just came to mind if they made her so that her teammates could pick her up as an item when she transform and use her in doubles as the goddess sword, it would be endless laughs and awesome matches.

Fi for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC she'd make an amazing blade :)

Ubosa: One of the more popular Champions from BOTW she would provide plenty of abilities that would make her a unique character.

Mipha: If Ubosa didn't make it in, then I would want Mipha (and vice versa cause I can't pick a favorite of the two), her water and healing abilities would make her difficult to defeat.

I was this close to specifying! But I was like nah I always specify it, not this time...why Sakurai why :(
I guess you can say... you got Pranked!

StormC

Smash Hero
When Donkey Kong World gets announced next month with K. Rool as the villain again, Sakurai will announce that Smash got delayed so he could add him. :nifty:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
My predictions:

Uniques:

King K. Rool
Elma
Spring Man
Mimikyu
Ashley
Geno
Chorus Kids
Simon Belmont

Semi:
Dixie Kong
Isabelle

Echo:
Dark Samus
Not sure about the second

Of my predictions, I’m personally confident that King K. Rool and Chorus Kids are happening. I really want Ray MK III and Skull Kid as well.

Enchess

Smash Lord
When Donkey Kong World gets announced next month with K. Rool as the villain again, Sakurai will announce that Smash got delayed so he could add him. :nifty:
Mario gets 2 galaxies and all DK gets is a world? Nah, it's gonna be Donkey Kong Multiverse. Coming December 1st.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Sakurai might appreciate the potential "a character you'll never see coming" troll.
I would say he did that with Ridley, but (insert 'he's too big' joke here).

Okay, Prediction List
1 - Inkling
2 - Ridley
3 - Elma
4 - Dixie Kong
5 - King K. Rool
6 - Waddle Dee
7 - Simon Belmont

Echoes
8 - Daisy (Peach)
9 - Dark Samus (Samus)
10 - Impa (Sheik, Skyward Sword)
11 - Chrom (Ike)
12 - Medusa (Palutena)

Realistically, I don't expect Medusa, K. Rool or Impa to be added. Dixie Kong could be an Echo, but I think you're likely looking at a Link situation where the base of Diddy is used, but she has a Bubblegum Gun, Hair Recovery and is less powerful. Medusa could also fall into this category if Sakurai decides to take some of Palutena's Custom Moves from Smash 4 and just push them onto her.

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
Meowth as a playable fighter would finally bring some Team Rocket representation and more anime representation to the battle. As far as I know, the only anime representation in Smash so far are Misty's Melee trophy and Pokémon Trainer's SSB4 trophy specifically name-dropping Ash.

• Team Rocket (Jessie and James) in the background like Pokémon Trainer when Meowth is battling other characters
  • Team Rocket motto as part of Meowth's entrance
  • Meowth Balloon as part of Meowth's entrance
  • Meowth's Party as part of Meowth's Final Smash
  • Wobbuffet showing up when Meowth needs backup
  • Meowth screaming "looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again" when Meowth and Wobbuffet are Star KO'd
  • having dream matches between Meowth and Pikachu, other playable Pokémon, and other Smash characters
  • playing Coin Battle matches with Meowth (it totally fits because Meowth loves round shiny objects)
  • trophies of Team Rocket (it would be cool if their trophy (and render) is based on Team Rocket's sprite from Pokémon Yellow)
  • Team Rocket celebrating when Meowth wins a match

Also, I really want to see fan art of Meowth with other Smash characters. I really liked looking at cute and funny fan art of playable Pokémon with other Smash characters on Know Your Meme. I think it would be cute if there were fan art of Meowth with the villains and Sakurai... like Meowth laying on their lap and getting petted… like in Meowth's Boss Fantasies. Every time a character is confirmed, within minutes there are already dozens of fan art of that character in Smash. I want that for Meowth.
Ya know the anime really dropped the ball (pun intended) for Meowth to be a proper Team Rocket/villain mascot and Pikachu's rival.

Since the anime had all of that creative control they could've expanded on what was there and further elevated on what they wanted, in this case a villain mascot with a great build up and proper backstory, not some comical urban Scratch Cat villain.

Like in those mobster/gangster movies he could've used his cuteness, cat swagger, street smarts, dirty tricks and finally he could've went on his own pursuit of power so he could get stronger, like he'd finally learn Pay Day or do anything under his paws so he could one up Pikachu by learning TMs, rare ones and forbidden ones even.

That could've been epic as hell!

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Just to be sure, did anyone tested that? Or did someone at Nintendo confirm it?

Not doubting you here, but I like to be sure
I played Pokemon Trainer at E3, and I did not notice it. Ivysaur seemed to hold its own fairly well.
I will eat my shoes if we get a Zelda newcomer.
Really holding out for Impa now, haha.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
People definitely said Cloud was impossible. As far as I know Sakurai loves Persona (it's been confirmed he's a week). Also it would be a huge hype character in Japan.

But yea just want him for the music, so I don't really care that much lol. I think I'd like how he would play though.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think it's funny that since the Vergeben leak featuring Simon Belmont he evolved from a character that almost nobody thought as possible to be one of the most speculated.It affected me too, I'm kinda into the idea now.
I think we will get a third and final Dk Country (from Retro Studios) on the Switch.
That being said, the hope for K.Rool/Dixie (I want both/any of them) is finally raising in my heart again.
(I loved this icons and I'm also anxious to get a official Dixie and K.Rool ones :ultdk::ultdiddy:)

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I think it's funny that since the Vergeben leak featuring Simon Belmont he evolved from a character that almost nobody thought as possible to be one of the most speculated.It affected me too, I'm kinda into the idea now.
I think we will get a third and final Dk Country (from Retro Studios) on the Switch.
That being said, the hope for K.Rool/Dixie (I want both/any of them) is finally raising in my heart again.
(I loved this icons and I'm also anxious to get a official Dixie and K.Rool ones :ultdk::ultdiddy:)
If they bring back K. Rool for the third Retro Studios DKC game i'd be hype, maybe they'll call it something like "Donkey Kong Country: The King's Komeback"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Feeling bored, I decided to do another Palutena's Guidance conversation...

:ultpokemontrainer:Pokémon Trainer
  • Palutena: You remember the Pokémon Trainer, right Pit?
  • Pit: Yeah, isn't that the person who raises Pokémon to do battle with other Pokémon trainers? We haven't seen each other since Brawl.
  • Viridi: Frankly, I'll never understand the logic of humans raising Pokémon to do battle with other Pokémon. It just sounds so cruel.
  • Palutena: But not all trainers raise Pokémon for battle, Viridi.
  • Viridi: Ugh, whatever...
  • Palutena: Anyway, this Pokémon Trainer's team consists of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. Each Pokémon has its own strengths and weaknesses, but the Pokémon Trainer will switch Pokémon to try to turn the tide of a match.
  • Pit: So I'm guessing that I'll have to change my battle strategy, based on which Pokémon I'm fighting.
  • Palutena: That's correct. Squirtle is quick, but very light. Ivysaur's vines give it good attack range, but it's the least mobile of the three. And Charizard has its wings for long-ranged recoveries, along with its powerful, but self-damaging Flare Blitz.
  • Viridi: Also, beware of the Triple Finish Final Smash. It packs a serious punch if you get caught in its path.
  • Pit: Right, I'll try to remember that if the Smash Ball ever shows up.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Wow! I’m really surprised at how many of you have done the Newcomer 12 Challenge I inquired about. Thank you.
It’s nice to see everyone have some things in common, with a few differences here and there, but no one is attacking anyone else.
For all who haven’t done it yet, feel free to.

This is amazing.

D

Deleted member

Kowboy K Rool is a very strong theme.
I'm an advocate of Sir K. Rool of Kremalot.
Would be a nice contrast to the Japanese style of Super Mario Odyssey's Bowser's Kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I see you talking a lot about how the POTD was so much better and how we "kept getting new information from it", yet you don't remember how POTDs were early on? For about a month after Smash 4's (much smaller) first unveiling at E3 2013 we got nothing new until Olimar's reveal, while it took months until we were regularly getting new information from it, and we were regularly getting entirely nonsense posts like Luigi's nose. Even after the POTD got into its groove, we were still often getting posts that were just random pics with no new information at all. SmashWiki has a complete archive of the POTDs if you want to go see how bad they were at the start and how much useless posts we got throughout it. And while the Dojo was great, it didn't start up until nearly a year after Brawl's very small unveiling at E3 2006 (while the only character that got confirmed between E3 2006 and the Dojo starting was Fox).

Give the current Smash Blog some time before writing it off as "only going to be rehashes". The new music track it revealed is still more than what the POTD gave us in the same timeframe.
The difference is, to me at least, is that we just know farrrr too much right now.

Imagine how socks off blowing it would have been if we had gone to the pic of the day and suddenly, Snake.

Outside of stages(Which they have a loooooooooot to go through), and Assist trophies, we can't really bank on new reveals outside of Directs, and the suspense of "Is my main coming back?" is gone, since well, EVERYONE is coming back.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

And....GO!
Unique:
1. Inkling
2. Ridley
3. Simon Belmont
4. K. Rool
5. Bandana Dee
6. Skull Kid
7. Chorus Men
8. Geno

Semi-Clones:
9. Dixie Kong
10. Chrom

Echoes:
11. Daisy
12. Dark Samus

A mix of what I want and what I think will happen, but probably more the former than the latter.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally I'm glad this speculation period is shortened and a lot of uncertainties are cleared up. Smash speculation is not good for my health and I'm not getting any younger. The table has been cleared at this point and right or wrong... we'll know the end result in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom