• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So are all the blog posts gonna just reiterating what they said at E3?
Yeah. I mean, they just confirmed the whole veteran roster all at once just last week. And people are still hungry for more information?

Maybe Sakurai should've just announced one veteran per week. At least people would be excited for that crumb every Friday.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was about to wonder where the red color for inkling was when I realized Ridley covered in red liquid is not a good look.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I gotta say I absolutely love how this game is representing a LOT of the Zelda games with its individual designs of its characters.

Really makes me hope Impa is in and that she uses her Skyward Sword design. I love this so much. That is how you pay respect to your Franchises legacy right there.
That reminds me of how Ridley's got a surprising amount of Prime callbacks, they're really going all out with fanservice

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I gotta say I absolutely love how this game is representing a LOT of the Zelda games with its individual designs of its characters.

Really makes me hope Impa is in and that she uses her Skyward Sword design. I love this so much. That is how you pay respect to your Franchises legacy right there.
I think Sheik is technically Breath of the Wild since the design is based on the Sheik outfit in that game.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Yeah. I mean, they just confirmed the whole veteran roster all at once just last week. And people are still hungry for more information?

Maybe Sakurai should've just announced one veteran per week. At least people would be excited for that crumb every Friday.
It's not like it all had to be character info. You could have a ton of hype with discussions around stages, soundtrack and hell, you could probably get a ton of casual fans hyped with posts about new or tweaked items. Smash is more than just its roster.

But even if youre dead set on the roster, you could still talk about individual character changes and balances. Everyone seems to have at least a few after all.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think Sheik is technically Breath of the Wild since the design is based on the Sheik outfit in that game.
It's a little funny that we went from all of the LoZ characters having TP designs to none of them having TP designs even though the designs are pulling from multiple locations in Zelda history :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Totally legitimate question, but what would that more detailed information even be? In game models? It's not like they do much in game.

Most Pokemon characterization comes from the anime and as far as I remmeber the anime came out after the game. I just don't know what else the Pokemon Company would show him that would intrest him in Lycanroc over the other choices.

But yea I'm not attacking you for it I understand you're not defending Lycanroc necessarily. For all we know Sakurai decided on a Pokemon newcomer much later and was able to look at things like the anime. I guess I just get a little triggered when I hear Lycanroc has an unique design XD
The anime comes out around one week after the games, but the episodes are planned and (possibly) done months in advance. Pokémon XY's first episode for instance had clips of it showcased as early as July, four months in advance from its series' debut. Something like that happening with SM would mean its early episodes were at least worked on around midsummer, and characterization for Pokemon like Mimikyu, Rockruff, Rowlet, Litten, Bewear, and the like were probably pegged even earlier.

So even though the anime didn't debut until after summer, details like characterization would've been available at least around that time. Thus if Sakurai came to TCPi and was talking to them about Pokémon characters, they probably would be able to give him details on things such as Mimikyu's hatred of Pikachu or Rowlet being a little sleepy ball of fun.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean it's got the touches of Breath of the Wild but that overall Sheik Design is from unused concept art from Twilight Princess so I count it as Twilight Princess.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's not like it all had to be character info. You could have a ton of hype with discussions around stages, soundtrack and hell, you could probably get a ton of casual fans hyped with posts about new or tweaked items. Smash is more than just its roster.

But even if youre dead set on the roster, you could still talk about individual character changes and balances. Everyone seems to have at least a few after all.
I don't have many characters I want left. Two of my most-wanted were deconfirmed right off the bat. Well, there's still Simon Belmont, Dixie Kong (please don't be an Echo Fighter), and King K. Rool.

I really would like to see some new stages, yeah. I want to see more of that New Donk City stage. I suspect it will be another traveling stage like Delfino Plaza. Ohh… and I really want to see a new Pokémon stage, hopefully one based on Sun & Moon!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The anime comes out around one week after the games, but the episodes are planned and (possibly) done months in advance. Pokémon XY's first episode for instance had clips of it showcased as early as July, four months in advance from its series' debut. Something like that happening with SM would mean its early episodes were at least worked on around midsummer, and characterization for Pokemon like Mimikyu, Rockruff, Rowlet, Litten, Bewear, and the like were probably pegged even earlier.

So even though the anime didn't debut until after summer, details like characterization would've been available at least around that time. Thus if Sakurai came to TCPi and was talking to them about Pokémon characters, they probably would be able to give him details on things such as Mimikyu's hatred of Pikachu or Rowlet being a little sleepy ball of fun.
The Pokemon anime is incredibly well scheduled compared to other anime. By the time the first episode aired they definitely had quite a buffer of episodes finished, and I think they still do. I believe Masaaki Iwane, an incredible animator who solo animates his episodes actually has a several month buffer between his episodes despite his episodes airing 6-8 weeks between eachother.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't have many characters I want left. Two of my most-wanted were deconfirmed right off the bat. Well, there's still Simon Belmont, Dixie Kong (please don't be an Echo Fighter), and King K. Rool.

I really would like to see some new stages, yeah. I want to see more of that New Donk City stage. I suspect it will be another traveling stage like Delfino Plaza. Ohh… and I really want to see a new Pokémon stage, hopefully one based on Sun & Moon!
Ultra Space could be a traveling stage, Ultra Necrozma as a hazard maybe?

D

Deleted member

Shiek is actually based on the Sheikah armor set from Breath of the Wild, with the only main difference beign that Shiek's Amiibo Mask didn't had a scarf, but Smash Ultimate gave it one as a nod to the Stealth Mask.

Due to this, there's no Zelda character in Smash Ultimate that has a TP-based design, ironic taking into account that that was the main look for all the non-toon Zelda Cast in Brawl and Smash 4 (good riddance to those looks though, because outside of Link i really disliked all of their designs)

Last edited by a moderator:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Ultra Space would be a great SuMo stage, if we end up with Mimikyu as a fighter I could see the Thrifty Megamart as a fun stage. One of the Trials, probably the first one, could be a fun one. The Aether Paradise would be a unique setting for a fight and would be enjoyable. There's a good chunk of places to put a stage for Smash justifiably! Po Town, one of the beaches, the list could go on and on.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
sooooooooo i have been absent for 100 pages,.... did i miss anything groundbreaking? something new from vergeben, maybe something else,
last thing i read was about 6 new character beeing added ( half dozen)
my bet
shadow
dark samus
simon

maybe k rool
maybe dixie

very very maybe sora or something

# dante echo tio bayonetta

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Shiek is actually based on the Sheikah armor set from Breath of the Wild, with the only main difference beign that Shiek's Amiibo Mask didn't had a scarf, but Smash Ultimate gave it one as a nod to the Stealth Mask.

Due to this, there's no Zelda character in Smash Ultimate that has a TP-based design, ironic taking into account that that was the main look for all the non-toon Zelda Cast in Brawl and Smash 4 (good riddance to those looks though, because outside of Link i really disliked all of their designs)
I started above that while it has the touches of Breath of the Wild the gloves, the armor plating, and the connected Sheikah symbol the actual original Sheik that the render is based on is from TP or rather concept art for that game meaning it's really a merging of the two. I'll go ahead and make that distinction in my previous post.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Totally legitimate question, but what would that more detailed information even be? In game models? It's not like they do much in game.

Most Pokemon characterization comes from the anime and as far as I remmeber the anime came out after the game. I just don't know what else the Pokemon Company would show him that would intrest him in Lycanroc over the other choices.

But yea I'm not attacking you for it I understand you're not defending Lycanroc necessarily. For all we know Sakurai decided on a Pokemon newcomer much later and was able to look at things like the anime. I guess I just get a little triggered when I hear Lycanroc has an unique design XD
I’m not really sure. I’m assuming the devs gave more information on what the Pokémon’s fightung styles, attacks, general personality, that sort of stuff. Since, just a sheet of reference probably isn’t enough to make the Pokémon clearer to Sakurai.

I just don’t Dusk Lycanroc that much. I would rather have Midday and Midnight form, but Dusk looks lazily done since they reused Midday’s body and added a Midnight’s crescent, made it orange and called it a day.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Let's say a Monster Hunter is the final character in Ultimate. What would it be like? Costume wise I expect to see a lot of armor as costumes and both genders. Perhaps the default outfit would be Rathalos armor. I wouldn't mind bone armor being a costume. And about moves I can assume they would utilize a few weapons and use others in custom moves. The base weapon would probably be either a buster sword, duel blades or sword and shield. They could use the grappling hook to grab and tether recover. Their recover could be pole-vaulting with the insect glaive. They could shoot with a bow, light bow gun or heavy bow gun as a neutral B. Their side B would maybe involve the Kinsect, they would send the Kinsect to hit the opponent and when it comes back it gives one of four buffs randomly: speed, knockback, defense or recovering a bit of health. Their down B could be slamming a hammer into the ground burying opponents or breaking shields. Their final smash will have Rathalos appear and attack the opponents. As for the Palico it could be an assist trophy helping the player who summoned it by fighting, setting traps and healing the player with vigorwasp. As for a stage I can think of a few. The first being a traveling stage around the main map of one of the games (likely the New World from MH World), or on the back of Zorah Magdaros for something different. Maybe Rathalos' nest from World. As for items I wouldn't mind if something like animals that can have an effect on the battle. For example: Paratoad. If you hit it it will release a cloud that will paralyze foes who get in it. Also a lot of the trophies can be monsters from the games like Gore Magala or Ahtal-Ka.

Edit: Just realized using the Wingdrake to recover could also work.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Here are my five fighters:

:ulticeclimbers::ultroy::ultlink::ultinkling::ultbowserjr:

Ice Climbers, because they were my main in Melee and Brawl so I am very excited to have them back.
Roy, because I really didn't care for him but he ended up being one of my most used characters post-DLC Smash 4.
Link, as he is one of my favourite video game characters of all time and he hasn't felt/ looked like himself in Smash Bros since 64 IMO.
Inkling, who were my most wanted newcomer and generally look super fun to play as.
Bowser Jr., my favourite newcomer in Smash 4.

Notably, my Smash 4 mains were Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi and Ness who I am looking forward to playing as too.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
People keep saying Ultimate Sheik is based off Twilight Princess even if she wasn't in the game. Now, I played through that game several times over on multiple consoles. I don't recall anything even remotely similar to Ultimate Sheik's design.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People keep saying Ultimate Sheik is based off Twilight Princess even if she wasn't in the game. Now, I played through that game several times over on multiple consoles. I don't recall anything even remotely similar to Ultimate Sheik's design.
Sheik was planned to appear in TP but ultimately only made it as concept art, which is what the design is based off of

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
so.... I threw this together to show that the design is in fact based off Twilight Princess, but uh the truth kind of blasted me in the face.

From left to right: TP concept art, Brawl, Smash 4, Ultimate, and BotW Stealth Outfit. Today I've learned something :ultsheik:

So Sheik's head and face are still taken from TP design, and the Stealth Outfit borrows some aspects of the TP design in its appearance but Sheik's outfit is definitely from BotW

also please disregard the two-minute image quality

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sheik in Ultimate has the Sheikah armor from Breath of the Wild, but she still has elements of the TP concept art

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
I kinda wish the English site would do "Today's Memory" like the Japanese one does. Alongside Mario we got this:

And Daisy got this:

...maybe because they're based on Japanese boxarts and release dates? Anyway, I wonder if every "Today's Fighter" will get an accompanying memory. Though Ridley didn't get one iirc.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I kinda wish the English site would do "Today's Memory" like the Japanese one does. Alongside Mario we got this:

And Daisy got this:

...maybe because they're based on Japanese boxarts and release dates? Anyway, I wonder if every "Today's Fighter" will get an accompanying memory.
I believe Super Mario Land was released in April 1989 for Japan though

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I know Seagull Joe has an account on here, and that’s he pretty active on it too. Wonder what he thinks about Wolf?
I more so meant from people who played the game extensively (Dunno if Joe did or not) or videos with them talking and showing stuff but that's also good actually lmao. I know there's probably a thread for that kind of stuff too but idk where to look
I'm hyped for :ultwolf:. Hope I can play the game soon!

:018:

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Let's say a Monster Hunter is the final character in Ultimate. What would it be like? Costume wise I expect to see a lot of armor as costumes and both genders. Perhaps the default outfit would be Rathalos armor. I wouldn't mind bone armor being a costume. And about moves I can assume they would utilize a few weapons and use others in custom moves. The base weapon would probably be either a buster sword, duel blades or sword and shield. They could use the grappling hook to grab and tether recover. Their recover could be pole-vaulting with the insect glaive. They could shoot with a bow, light bow gun or heavy bow gun as a neutral B. Their side B would maybe involve the Kinsect, they would send the Kinsect to hit the opponent and when it comes back it gives one of four buffs randomly: speed, knockback, defense or recovering a bit of health. Their down B could be slamming a hammer into the ground burying opponents or breaking shields. Their final smash will have Rathalos appear and attack the opponents. As for the Palico it could be an assist trophy helping the player who summoned it by fighting, setting traps and healing the player with vigorwasp. As for a stage I can think of a few. The first being a traveling stage around the main map of one of the games (likely the New World from MH World), or on the back of Zorah Magdaros for something different. Maybe Rathalos' nest from World. As for items I wouldn't mind if something like animals that can have an effect on the battle. For example: Paratoad. If you hit it it will release a cloud that will paralyze foes who get in it. Also a lot of the trophies can be monsters from the games like Gore Magala or Ahtal-Ka.

Edit: Just realized using the Wingdrake to recover could also work.
Honestly if a Monster Hunter character gets in I'd like it to be a Felyne instead of just an unnamed human hunter. They've got really good moveset potential like Boomerang, Pilfer as a stealing move, Flash Bombay as a firework recovery, Bombay barrels for heavy explosive projectiles, the tank for a good FS, and all those other cool abilities I read on the wiki.
I'd also really like to have a cats vs dogs battle with Felyne and DHD, and I'd like to see Sakurai's cat's colours as an alt.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Do we get anything else for mario besides the video that was already on the site?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sheik obviously takes inspiration from both TP and BOTW.
:ultsheik:
Picking one is just silly.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
We need a new Zelda game to make Midna relevant again in the main series so she can be added to Smash as playable. Plus Midna is awesome. Best companion by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom