• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well, there's nothing wrong with that. I never supported Palutena, Rosalina, Villager, or Pac-man.

...But don't forget that you're always potentially talking about someone else's favorite character. Like...it's fine if Waluigi doesn't hype you, but remain conscious of the fact that Waluigi hypes many other people.
Sorry i may have phrased that a bit wrong. I meant on neutral on the topic.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Daisy, who is actually less popular.
Heyyyyy, source that.

The day that Waluigi appears in a canon Mario game he will be added.
This is exactly what I meant when I said Waluigi is the new Daisy. THIS EXACT ARGUMENT was used on her before her reveal, except they went out of their way to say Return to Sarasland didn't count cuz reasons.

Waluigi could legit come in as DLC after Sakurai sees the fan demand. Or he could be the shoo-in character for a hypothetical Smash 6. Can we stop making up rules as if Sakurai actually cares about that?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I feel as if there's barely any hype for this game. The months leading up to Smash 4 was much more intense and the DLC season was something else entirely.

Melee clone returns in Smash 4, the entire internet explodes. Reaction videos gets millions of views.

All previous characters return in Smash 5, barely anyone cares. "Oh, okay. Cool", "That's neat", et cetera.

This entire thing feels like a boring rehash of Smash 4 and I think it's going to be a major financial disappointment for Nintendo. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.
...I'm sorry, but I have to disagree there.

I have never been so hyped for a game. I was almost in tears watching the trailer, and that was after I already got spoiled on Ridley and Squirtle. This game will be the Smash to end all Smashes.

Granted, I don't play competitively, so the lack of Melee mechanics means nothing to me, but the addition of every character and every stage does. I can't wait to play All-Star with this set.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
He is a guy Wario plays tennis with an or Nintendo's
I'd take **** RICHARD Dastardly in Smash over any Nintendo character or 3rd party video game character.

EDIT: I had to work around the poor saps name.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I love Waluigi as much as the next guy, but the sheer fact that people are complaining about the game despite getting EVERY veteran back, getting DAISY as a playable character, and RIDLEY, the character that has been requested for over a decade and a half, being an NPC in every game of the series, finally hitting the big time, boggles my mind.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
GUYS I GOT IN FOR SOME COMPETITIVE

WISH ME LUCK

...I have no idea who I should play lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Speaking of voices...do I still need earplugs for Fox and Falco?

Or have all voices not yet been finalized, in which case please go back to Brawl's

How did they sound in Zero?

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
You have no way of actually knowing any of that.

...In my opinion, the REAL reason Daisy got in was because she was an easy echo. If they were to add Waluigi, he'd have to be unique, and they just didn't prioritize that.
If that was the case then why she wasn't added in Smash 4? Because they had no problems making Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. I personally think that Super Mario Run made them say "hey, maybe Daisy does deserve to be in Smash" and was added as a clone because of that.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Go for Marth and take in his glorious new English voice. :p
I'm absolutely garbage as Marth. I got a half decent Lucina but I am really not the best at Spacing Marth's tipper shinnanigans.

But yeah Yuri BOYS

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestly I'm happy for Ridley fans he made it in. Not a Ridley fan myself, but my gosh i can imagine the hype that struck when they caught the glimpse of Ridley's tail. Honestly about the "Ridley is too big" complaint, i can kind of agree. He's supposed to be a massive hulking menacing dragon, but they can reduce his size yet still keep him menacing.

I think that's a valid argument without being too bias or anything. Most people are really one-sided on the topic. What are your guy's thoughts on the "Ridley is too big topic"? Just curious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel as if there's barely any hype for this game. The months leading up to Smash 4 was much more intense and the DLC season was something else entirely.

Melee clone returns in Smash 4, the entire internet explodes. Reaction videos gets millions of views.

All previous characters return in Smash 5, barely anyone cares. "Oh, okay. Cool", "That's neat", et cetera.

This entire thing feels like a boring rehash of Smash 4 and I think it's going to be a major financial disappointment for Nintendo. In my opinion there doesn't seem to be enough new content to warrant a new literation of Smash on the Switch.
I'd just advise you wait until the first newcomer video outside E3 drops.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
GUYS I GOT IN FOR SOME COMPETITIVE

WISH ME LUCK

...I have no idea who I should play lol
Simply who you're best as, I'm best as Mr. Game & Watch, so i play as him alot.
Speaking of competitive, I'm trying to get in for some Competitive too, if you wanna practice together sometime.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I love Waluigi as much as the next guy, but the sheer fact that people are complaining about the game despite getting EVERY veteran back, getting DAISY as a playable character, and RIDLEY, the character that has been requested for over a decade and a half, being an NPC in every game of the series, finally hitting the big time, boggles my mind.
Some people don’t like every veteran, some people don’t like Daisy, and some people don’t even like Ridley.

Just because a bunch of people got what they want doesn’t mean someone else can’t be upset.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm happy for Ridley fans he made it in. Not a Ridley fan myself, but my gosh i can imagine the hype that struck when they caught the glimpse of Ridley's tail. Honestly about the "Ridley is too big" complaint, i can kind of agree. He's supposed to be a massive hulking menacing dragon, but they can reduce his size yet still keep him menacing.

I think that's a valid argument without being too bias or anything. Most people are really one-sided on the topic. What are your guy's thoughts on the "Ridley is too big topic"? Just curious.
Even before the tail, just the second the trailer started it have me that metroid feeling that instantly knew it was Ridley and I was already celebrating.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I have a wild theory about Ridley based on the reveal trailer. First off, Ridley got his own splash page like the SSB4 newcomers did, which was glorious. However, neither Inkling nor Daisy received a splash page or trailer like that at any point so far. Additionally, Mega Man and Mario accompany Samus in Ridley’s reveal. To build hype for the game, one would think they might want to include the Inkling in the trailer as well. Is it possible that Ridley was planned for Smash 4 and this was his trailer but was held off for some reason????

And the better question is...

why should anyone care?

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Even before the tail, just the second the trailer started it have me that metroid feeling that instantly knew it was Ridley and I was already celebrating.
I've never played a Metroid game, and the only Metroid-esque settings i know are the smash stages, so when i saw the bridge i was like: "Oh what's this?"

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Some people don’t like every veteran, some people don’t like Daisy, and some people don’t even like Ridley.

Just because a bunch of people got what they want doesn’t mean someone else can’t be upset.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you have to play with or even against those characters except maybe if you're unlocking them. Just ignore they exist. They aren't hurting you on that selection screen, and no character steals a slot from another.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So the Smash blog so far as a Smash item and Smash Fighter for each day of the Expo.
Except... that today only has an item so far.

Which character will close out the presentation?

Belmont? Geno? K. Rool? A sneaky Waluigi reveal?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I don't know anything about new Ness other than the new effect for PSI Magnet.

I see you on here all the time, I know you aren't dense, but please read more. . . I'm not attacking the character, I never said anything doesn't fit, you simply aren't actually providing information about the moveset. You're just saying "mage," but what actually is she doing and what's it for? I haven't actually played the game, but there are a ton of characters in Touhou (the fighting game, not the bullet hell) that could roughly be called mages insofar as that they use magic, but that's not a description of what any of them specifically functionally do. There are all sorts of different character archetypes and so on, and what's really asinine is thinking that "she's a shrine maiden/goddess/whatever" is a good description of what kind of character she is. It's not a character design, it's a vague visual flavor at best.
And if you think characters in Smash in general are designed with nothing particular in mind, just what looks like it makes sense... I really don't know what to tell you. Have you ever actually looked closely at a fighting game, Smash or otherwise? It's not just about how the choreography on the move looks (though I wish NRS would care about choreography), it's about the playstyle, which is as vitally important to conveying the character as "hey, I remember her forward special from X game." Normals are most of her moves, so they necessarily define a large part of her playstyle. With the account that you're giving me, I could shrink down Zelda, change her specials and smash attacks, and it would fit everything you've said about Ashley. Likewise, I could also port nearly any other sorceress from any other game, no matter how they play, change 7 out of ~30 moves, and it would perfectly fit your description. Other than hexes, does Ashley poke a lot? Does she rush down? Does she have slower attacks? Multi-hits? Evidently it doesn't matter so long as all of the attacks look like she could plausibly do them based on her choreography.
Do you see the problem?
I mean our issue is most definitely perceptions of the situation. I was unaware that I'd need to go into real detail to point out what she does, because to me it's fairly easy to imagine what she'd do based on the points provided, being hexes, Red, and potions. If you want more, then I'll give it to you.

I think she'd fit best as a zoner. She would be fairly weak as a close range fighter, as she's a small and fragile. She would have attacks that utilize the wand as a melee weapon, but that's just to prevent her from being absolutely helpless at close range. She would utilize basic magic for her tilts that have somewhat long range for tilts since she's casting spells. They would be stronger at their apex to further benefit her as a zoner who struggles at close range. Her Smash attacks will utilize her partner, Red, transforming into different objects and striking the opponent. To my knowledge, there's not really any limits on his shapeshifting, so it could really be whatever. Sorry if you wanted more detail there. Her specials would utilize hexes to cause negative effects on opponents. She could place a hex trap on the ground to cause a negative effect on an enemy who enters it, similar to her Assist Trophy effect in Smash 4. It'd help her keep people in her range of effectiveness.

That's still a fairly rough idea as I just wrote this up, but I hope this is a better interpretation of the information you're looking for.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai will never be able to please everyone, and this can be seen by the reveal of Ridley. Ridley was a MAJOR fanservice addition to the roster, but a lot of people can't appreciate that because they're too busy wallowing around in their own tears after learning Waluigi is once again an Assist Trophy.

I get that the disconfirmation stings, but for Pete's sake! There are 65 characters as of now! Find something that makes you happy.

I have a wild theory about Ridley based on the reveal trailer. First off, Ridley got his own splash page like the SSB4 newcomers did, which was glorious. However, neither Inkling nor Daisy received a splash page or trailer like that at any point so far. Additionally, Mega Man and Mario accompany Samus in Ridley’s reveal. To build hype for the game, one would think they might want to include the Inkling in the trailer as well. Is it possible that Ridley was planned for Smash 4 and this was his trailer but was held off for some reason????

why should anyone care?
Not likely. I doubt Sakurai even touched Ridley after he was implemented as a stage boss in Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, let people like what they like and dislike what they dislike. Value your own opinion and don't bother policing others.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Or have all voices not yet been finalized, in which case please go back to Brawl's

Supposedly it's the same voice actors but Fox sounds less annoying now so that's good. I never had an issue with falco tbh.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Boy, I was screaming 1 second in when I recognized that shaft as the SSE Ridley Arena and went insane. Not only did I go laughing mad but I felt so lightheaded afterwards I needed to sit down for a few minutes

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace

I heard a little bit of Fox during the invitational and his voice is fixed. Mike West mastered voicing Fox again in Zero, and it shows in Ultimate, thankfully. Not sure about Falco.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace

why should anyone care?
The Inklings did receive a trailer, and Daisy didn't because she's just an Echo character.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Boy, I was screaming 1 second in when I recognized that shaft as the SSE Ridley Arena and went insane. Not only did I go laughing mad but I felt so lightheaded afterwards I needed to sit down for a few minutes
If Midna was in smash (Sadly she was disconfirmed) I would probably do the same.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

It's still Mike West, but it seems they brought him back in to re-record his lines (likely because of the new Final Smash). I imagine Falco will get the same treatment.

As for how they sounded in Zero, I can't speak for Falco, but Mike West did a great job with Fox IMO.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Not likely. I doubt Sakurai even touched Ridley after he was implemented as a stage boss in Pyrosphere.
Don't worry, I dont actually think Ridley was looked at to be playable for 4, I just think its funny his reveal feels like a Smash 4 one, and that Ultimate doesn't seem to have a specific style for their reveals yet.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Daisy, who is actually less popular, got in because she is at least canon thanks to Super Mario Land and Super Mario Run (which is a recent, popular game)
I thought that game died once more after the Remix 10 update
Go for Marth and take in his glorious new English voice. :p
English Marth is perfection

why should anyone care?
I think the Inklings didn’t get a splash art due to them being used to keep th Smash reveal a surprise until the girl was mentally scarred...Daisy I’m not sure about why she didn’t get one other than her being an echo (might be her reason)
It's still Mike West, but it seems they brought him back in to re-record his lines (likely because of the new Final Smash). I imagine Falco will get the same treatment.

As for how they sounded in Zero, I can't speak for Falco, but Mike West did a great job with Fox IMO.
And he gets to sound like a man again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom