• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've stayed quiet about them long enough. Time for me to bring the Champions up again.

So now that E3 is almost over, do you feel more or less confident about their chances? I think you could make a case for both sides. On one hand, BotW isn't the focus like we thought it would be, so that might open the door to older Zelda characters. On the other hand, they're not part of a moveset like a lot of people thought they would be. Plus, we've seen over 30 of the 50 or so Assist Trophies, and none of the Champions were seen.

Personally, I think this helps their chances. In addition to the things I already said, the fact that none of the four even made a cameo on the BotW stage makes me think that there might be something more in store for them.
Besides Sidon/Mipha...no chances anymore

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Wait, is Xander confirmed to be the announcer again?

First I'm hearing of this.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Inklings and Ridley being the fighters of the day for the past two days, the thing says 66 fighters when Ridley is 65, the Vergeben leak, hope, delusion. Take your pick
The problem with delusion is that everyone who believe Ridley would get in was considered "delusional" so...I'm inclined to believe anything now lol.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I actually realize that... Sakurai could have been trolling us.
Think about it, everytime a new smash is made, they have to remade everything from zero, that means they have to make mario, link, DK... all over again.
But this time, this is kinda half port, this means they already had all the characters from smash4 and some stages already made, they had time enough to even add silly small details.
The only real characters that they had to remade from zero are the old veterans and some stages.
What I'm trying to say is... the difference between this smash and others is that they already have stuff made from the last smash game that they ported, so Sakurai could totally add a lot of characters, unless of course he made the biggest craziest story mode ever.
I agree I guess it all boils down to how much time he has too plus there's DLC to think about as well I'm just curious as to who he's gonna add in?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Inklings and Ridley being the fighters of the day for the past two days, the thing says 66 fighters when Ridley is 65, the Vergeben leak, hope, delusion. Take your pick
I see.

Anyway, about Zero Suit Samus, I honestly don’t mind her design. Never been crazy about boobs anyway. I am surprised people are talking about that right now.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
It says 66 fighters because they're counting Pokemon Trainer himself as a fighter in addition to the Pokemon. It says so right underneath that number.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh yeah, don't forget Pichu.

I mean it's nice to see Zelda having a new look which looks more anime like. Ganondorf on the other hand seems to be going back to his original.
So I can see why some are disappointed that only Zelda characters seems to have a huge make over.
Ganondorf definitely feels more like a bad*** now than before. Sure, his Twilight Princess incarnation looked impressive during the days of Brawl, but he seemed to lack that evil demeanor in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

?????????????

Smash Master
Hey, another thought...

Maybe DLC characters will take less time to develop since they only have to develop them for one game, unlike before where they had to create them for both Wii U and 3DS.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ganondorf definitely feels more like a bad*** now than before. Sure, his Twilight Princess incarnation looked impressive during the days of Brawl, but he seemed to lack that evil demeanor in Smash 3DS / Wii U.
Ganondorf looked like some weird meme

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Anyway, about Zero Suit Samus, I honestly don’t mind her design. Never been crazy about boobs anyway. I am surprised people are talking about that right now.
I almost feel like the only person who doesn't even care about Zero Suit Samus's model changes. I will say though, that the changes to Solid Snake's model definitely help to try to keep the game at an E10+ level.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
ULTIMATE Roster.png

I'm curious who people are thinking about with their predictions now? i made a "list" image of what I'm guessing at after all the info we learned from E3.

At the top are my current prediction characters: simon belmont/k rool/dixie/geno/waddle dee/elma/captain toad

(most of these should be obvious why they are here but I'll just try and quickly explain it... k rool because of the ballot and fan demand. dixies in the same boat and with diddy losing his dixie colors as far as i can tell she seems likely and since she could be a semi clone wouldnt be too difficult to add. geno again ballot requests and square still being involved, his mii costume got a new character splash screen when it was announced and sakurai wanted to add him in the past, hes got everything going for him this time. waddle dee cause of the ballot and fan demand and hes no where to be seen in the game yet. elma cause of that interview with sakurai about buying the figure that could be used as a model for her mech, the fact chronicles x fits the timeline for when this smash went into development and the fact shes a woman of color could potentially add a bit of weight to adding her for inclusion purposes. the odd choice is probably captain toad as toad is featured heavily in peach/daisy's move set now but that also means he has an expressive model in the game and captain toad seems like hes made a separate name for himself from other toads and i can just hear sakurai saying something about "toad" being in their move sets but CAPTAIN toad is playable).

right under that are characters that almost made my prediction roster: chorus men/rayman/banjo-kazooie

(chorus men cause they were worked on for smash4 BUT im not sure if they were cut due to limitations or if it was that sakurai couldnt get his idea for their gimmick to work at all. Rayman cause he had a trophy but i feel hes more DLC material. Banjo cause of the "minecraft" part of vergeben's leak but i cant guess at them until i see some Microsoft involvement in this game first, vergeben could be entirely false now).

then I have the most likely echo characters imo: medusa/chrom/impa/dark samus

(my guess is any other echo characters will be saved for DLC as they are a great way to add extra characters to DLC packs much like mii cotumes. medusa seems like a good choice for a palutena echo and sakurai can use her without any issues. chrom seems like the joke of not getting playable last game is made for an echo character. Impa could rep skyward sword as zelda has been repping multiple games this time around but im unsure if zelda needs more attention as it got a lot of revamping to its characters and young link back. dark samus im less sure of but the missing alt costume in the same way diddy is missing dixie colored alt and ike is missing the chrom colored alt makes me think sakurai is at least thinking about leaving the option open however could equally just be so that now that assists can be K.O.ed dark samus could show up there and he got rid of the alt to avoid confusion).

next are the other possible echo characters who im doubting will get in: shadow/ken/louie/isabelle/funky kong/tails/black shadow

(shadow and ken fit the echo character idea really well but i just dont think third party characters will get echos, it bloats the third party roster and kind of cheapens the honorary position getting to be included in smash gives to third party characters, you could add ms pacman and jeanna here too i suppose. louie i feel like if they were going to do a pikmin echo it would have been alph being upgraded. isabelle i just think wouldnt fit villagers moveset and i think sakurai would find her better suited to be an assist again as her job is helping you in the games. funky kong having just a dk moveset doesnt fit him well and i dont see him getting in as anything beyond an echo so im doubting him. when you get down to tails and black shadow level echos i feel like im just adding who COULD be an echo and not who might actually happen).

next is a long list of characters i do not think will happen but are still "in the running" so i cant totally forget them: skull kid/paper mario/cranky kong/ashley/isaac/dillon/wonder red/ray/chibi robo/saki/lip/excitebiker/balloon fighter/hanafuda

(these COULD potentially happen but my feelings are that they are simply unshown assist trophy characters, sakurai said we have 50+, and we've only seen 28 i believe, so its just far more likely these characters are either in the game in that way or some other form. I know theres some highly requested characters like isaac and ashley here but for various reasons i just think sakurai will keep them as assist characters and feel like that is enough. waluigi tier).

then I have characters I think will probably happen for DLC: ARMS rep(s)/rex and pyra/FE rep/sylux/labo rep/pokemon rep

(arms i think has a great shot but not at the base roster due to its timing. same goes for xenoblade 2 characters the timeline is just against them for the base roster but likely as DLC. fire emblem just seems like it gets a lot of reps every time a new one comes out so its hard to bet against that. sylux totally matters how much of a splash he makes in prime 4. labo rep could happen, could not happen but either way i think its DLC cause of the timeline if it does. pokemon i think is done on the base roster, theres a lot of pokemon now with pokemon trainer and pichu returning so i feel a DLC pokemon rep is more likely and im not even going to attempt to guess at it theres so many choices and could be more by the time we get DLC).

then finally are just a bunch of third party choices that i could see happening as future DLC hype characters: sora/heihachi/lloyd/shovel knight/shantae/crash/spyro etc...

( I write etc... at the end cause the list could go on and on and some characters like rayman/banjo could make their way here if they dont get in the base game as well. its just really difficult to guess at third party reps i mean honestly master chief/doom guy/lara croft could show up, cloud did last time so while im listing who i think could happen its really totally open for surprises and we probably wont see the final crazy DLC third party character for a couple years anyway).

So thats where im at with my speculations and predictions right now, curious if i missed anyone obvious or if other people agree/disagree strongly with anything im saying here. Would also love to see what characters other people are predicting or simply what characters people are potentially looking at as "likely" additions.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
If not Shadow, I think Classic Sonic would be great as an echo fighter.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I almost feel like the only person who doesn't even care about Zero Suit Samus's model changes. I will say though, that the changes to Solid Snake's model definitely help to try to keep the game at an E10+ level.
Well, I don’t mind the changes. I also don’t care about them as well.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Or Metal Sonic.
Whom I would like more and is a more iconic figure to the series.

Shadow is associated with the less memorable parts of the franchise.

Nevertheless its probably Shadow.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
When you whine about censorship for a slight reduction in bust size, I have no problem calling it crying.

On The BotW Champions.
I never thought thay had/have a chance in the first place.
  • I find them lacking in moveset potential.
  • They're a group of four with about equal importance and comparable popularity. It's no clear frontrunner.
  • He didn't add earlier one-offs and they mostly had better potential and wasn't competing with characters from their own game.

?????????????

Smash Master

What's cool about Shadow in that regard is that Sonic Adventure 2 was the very first Sonic game to be on a Nintendo system.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Less memorable? I’d say his part of the Sonic series are quite memorable (half good and the others...edgy)
Or Metal Sonic.
...Boom Sonic
When you whine about censorship for a slight reduction in bust size, I have no problem calling it crying.

On The BotW Champions.
I never thought thay had/have a chance in the first place.
  • I find them lacking in moveset potential.
  • They're a group of four with about equal importance and comparable popularity. It's no clear frontrunner.
  • He didn't add earlier one-offs and they mostly had better potential and wasn't competing with characters from their own game.
Samus boobs being more human and less anime isn’t the worst of things anyways...now Snake losing his booty, however, that’s just a sin

Pakky

Smash Hero
Less memorable? I’d say his part of the Sonic series are quite memorable (half good and the others...edgy)
Yeah though he's kind in the "bad" half with the majority "bad" 3D games.

Important nonetheless but, eh.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
View attachment 148304

I'm curious who people are thinking about with their predictions now? i made a "list" image of what I'm guessing at after all the info we learned from E3.

At the top are my current prediction characters: simon belmont/k rool/dixie/geno/waddle dee/elma/captain toad

(most of these should be obvious why they are here but I'll just try and quickly explain it... k rool because of the ballot and fan demand. dixies in the same boat and with diddy losing his dixie colors as far as i can tell she seems likely and since she could be a semi clone wouldnt be too difficult to add. geno again ballot requests and square still being involved, his mii costume got a new character splash screen when it was announced and sakurai wanted to add him in the past, hes got everything going for him this time. waddle dee cause of the ballot and fan demand and hes no where to be seen in the game yet. elma cause of that interview with sakurai about buying the figure that could be used as a model for her mech, the fact chronicles x fits the timeline for when this smash went into development and the fact shes a woman of color could potentially add a bit of weight to adding her for inclusion purposes. the odd choice is probably captain toad as toad is featured heavily in peach/daisy's move set now but that also means he has an expressive model in the game and captain toad seems like hes made a separate name for himself from other toads and i can just hear sakurai saying something about "toad" being in their move sets but CAPTAIN toad is playable).

right under that are characters that almost made my prediction roster: chorus men/rayman/banjo-kazooie

(chorus men cause they were worked on for smash4 BUT im not sure if they were cut due to limitations or if it was that sakurai couldnt get his idea for their gimmick to work at all. Rayman cause he had a trophy but i feel hes more DLC material. Banjo cause of the "minecraft" part of vergeben's leak but i cant guess at them until i see some Microsoft involvement in this game first, vergeben could be entirely false now).

then I have the most likely echo characters imo: medusa/chrom/impa/dark samus

(my guess is any other echo characters will be saved for DLC as they are a great way to add extra characters to DLC packs much like mii cotumes. medusa seems like a good choice for a palutena echo and sakurai can use her without any issues. chrom seems like the joke of not getting playable last game is made for an echo character. Impa could rep skyward sword as zelda has been repping multiple games this time around but im unsure if zelda needs more attention as it got a lot of revamping to its characters and young link back. dark samus im less sure of but the missing alt costume in the same way diddy is missing dixie colored alt and ike is missing the chrom colored alt makes me think sakurai is at least thinking about leaving the option open however could equally just be so that now that assists can be K.O.ed dark samus could show up there and he got rid of the alt to avoid confusion).

next are the other possible echo characters who im doubting will get in: shadow/ken/louie/isabelle/funky kong/tails/black shadow

(shadow and ken fit the echo character idea really well but i just dont think third party characters will get echos, it bloats the third party roster and kind of cheapens the honorary position getting to be included in smash gives to third party characters, you could add ms pacman and jeanna here too i suppose. louie i feel like if they were going to do a pikmin echo it would have been alph being upgraded. isabelle i just think wouldnt fit villagers moveset and i think sakurai would find her better suited to be an assist again as her job is helping you in the games. funky kong having just a dk moveset doesnt fit him well and i dont see him getting in as anything beyond an echo so im doubting him. when you get down to tails and black shadow level echos i feel like im just adding who COULD be an echo and not who might actually happen).

next is a long list of characters i do not think will happen but are still "in the running" so i cant totally forget them: skull kid/paper mario/cranky kong/ashley/isaac/dillon/wonder red/ray/chibi robo/saki/lip/excitebiker/balloon fighter/hanafuda

(these COULD potentially happen but my feelings are that they are simply unshown assist trophy characters, sakurai said we have 50+, and we've only seen 28 i believe, so its just far more likely these characters are either in the game in that way or some other form. I know theres some highly requested characters like isaac and ashley here but for various reasons i just think sakurai will keep them as assist characters and feel like that is enough. waluigi tier).

then I have characters I think will probably happen for DLC: ARMS rep(s)/rex and pyra/FE rep/sylux/labo rep/pokemon rep

(arms i think has a great shot but not at the base roster due to its timing. same goes for xenoblade 2 characters the timeline is just against them for the base roster but likely as DLC. fire emblem just seems like it gets a lot of reps every time a new one comes out so its hard to bet against that. sylux totally matters how much of a splash he makes in prime 4. labo rep could happen, could not happen but either way i think its DLC cause of the timeline if it does. pokemon i think is done on the base roster, theres a lot of pokemon now with pokemon trainer and pichu returning so i feel a DLC pokemon rep is more likely and im not even going to attempt to guess at it theres so many choices and could be more by the time we get DLC).

then finally are just a bunch of third party choices that i could see happening as future DLC hype characters: sora/heihachi/lloyd/shovel knight/shantae/crash/spyro etc...

( I write etc... at the end cause the list could go on and on and some characters like rayman/banjo could make their way here if they dont get in the base game as well. its just really difficult to guess at third party reps i mean honestly master chief/doom guy/lara croft could show up, cloud did last time so while im listing who i think could happen its really totally open for surprises and we probably wont see the final crazy DLC third party character for a couple years anyway).

So thats where im at with my speculations and predictions right now, curious if i missed anyone obvious or if other people agree/disagree strongly with anything im saying here. Would also love to see what characters other people are predicting or simply what characters people are potentially looking at as "likely" additions.
I don't think Captain Toad will be in because Toad now has a greater presence in Peach's moveset

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I don't think Captain Toad will be in because Toad now has a greater presence in Peach's moveset
Thats my iffy-ist prediction choice right now, if not him i'd say rayman or chorus kids are my bet then but for now i just have a feeling CAPTAIN toad is in.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Shadow is the 2nd most popular Sonic character

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I guess one of the reasons why I've gotten the cute vibe from Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina, is due to the way their eyes are shaped. In past installments, Zelda looked too serious to ever feel cute.
Link between Worlds Zelda is a different creature.
But yeah, Never got cute vibes from Peach or Daisy

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Does anyone think that another newcomer will be revealed in the Treehouse today?
I think so, every E3 we usually get an extra newcomer revealed later on. and we've seen this happen before with Wii Fit Trainer and Pac Man. So i think it might happen here as well.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Shadow is the 2nd most popular Sonic character
He may be, but even as a Sonic fan myself, I say he is overrated, no offense to Shadow fans. I just never understood why he is that popular aside from maybe edginess. He just isn’t that good to me. Just okay.

Pakky

Smash Hero
He may be, but even as a Sonic fan myself, I say he is overrated, no offense to Shadow fans. I just never understood why he is that popular aside from maybe edginess. He just isn’t that good to me. Just okay.
This is how I pretty much meant it.

Metal Sonic based on the roles he has played over the years in various forms just seems like a bigger pull for an echo. Though Shadow is beloved for better or worse, (Shadow's game was the most jarring thing I have seen from a professional world renown company) so I'm not sure what to say. Objectively he is a good choice regardless of history.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I like how talk of the shoes has completely vanished even though they come from nowhere.
There's only so many ways people can say "Those are dumb", promptly followed by "No they're not".

Though for the record those shoes are still really really stupid

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I really do not want Shadow in Smash as a fighter. Wanna-be tsundere.

I still think he is an AT considering we have only seen half the cast for that role, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom