• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The funny thing is that Ridley fans have started to become pretty chill after the Sm4sh DLC.

K. Rool supporters are the new Ridley fanbase :troll:
No no no no no no no...

Inaccurate!

We where thrown HUGE bones with Smash 4. Kremlings returning to Smash Run and the Mii Costume using the old Rare K.Rool design made up from scratch. Yeah sure they acted way too entitled, but it's somewhat justified considering Smash gave us way more than Nintendo and Retro Studios. Y'all Ridley fans have been acting like absolute mad men ever since Melee. Only became chill with Smash 4.

But that's still 2 games of heavy entitlement and downright agressive attitude whenever even a fan roster was made WITHOUT Ridley on it.

Absolute mad men you guys are.

Soon, you'll have fun trippin' over my bananas <3

D

Deleted member

Looking at this discussion I'm strongly considering leaving Smash speculation, because if that's what discussions are about I really don't see the point.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Nitpicking here, but as I'm endlessly triggered by this, the difference between Pokemon and Fire Emblem isn't the amount of characters, it's that one of them is the most successful media franchise of all time and the other isn't. It's reasonable that Pokemon should and would get a larger representation than Fire Emblem as a result.
Nintendo's Day 2 of E3 is about to begin on twitch.tv/Nintendo . Expect to see more Smash Switch among other games.

Maybe I can finally see some god damn Zelda gameplay :p
Nice, thanks for the heads up.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Hopefully, we get another newcomer before the end of E3.

At this point I'm hoping for either Porky or the Chorus Kids, if not both.
Some people on Twitter (and DNeon DNeon here on this thread, hi mate) have speculated that the little Mr. Saturn on the promotional art may be a placeholder for a new character, maybe a new Earthbound/Mother rep, and that's what I'm really hoping for.

Also, like I said earlier, I want to see that Rhythm Heaven rep we found via datamining Smash 4.
It's not really a "everyone is here" if the discarded characters remain discarded, am I right or am I right? :p

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Looking at this discussion I'm strongly considering leaving Smash speculation, because if that's what discussions are about I really don't see the point.
Because some people now think that we might not get a Pokémon newcomer?

Nitpicking here, but as I'm endlessly triggered by this, the difference between Pokemon and Fire Emblem isn't the amount of characters, it's that one of them is the most successful media franchise of all time and the other isn't. It's reasonable that Pokemon should and would get a larger representation than Fire Emblem as a result.

Nice, thanks for the heads up.
You're absolutely right.

It is also reasonable that the series with the most playable characters in Smash will eventually stop getting more characters added.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie. I'm nervous this'll be the last Smash. (Yes, I know I sound stupid.)
Just try to enjoy the ride.
Even if this is the last Smash, at least it ends with a bang.
Also I doubt this is the last Smash, Nintendo know what sells

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
So I see a lot of worries about this being the last Smash Bros., and while I’m sure that’s untrue, I also personally wouldn’t mind. Unless there’s a big technical or graphical breakthrough (or god forbid the game flop), I’d rather keep this one around for as long as possible. So much dev time was spent trying to improve the gameplay in big and little ways, I don’t think we’ll have any reason to have a new Smash since they can add new characters, stages, etc. as they need to keep the game up to date. This doesn’t necessarily feel like they’re making this the last Smash Bros. but it does feel like they made this one to last a while.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Just try to enjoy the ride.
Even if this is the last Smash, at least it ends with a bang.
Also I doubt this is the last Smash, Nintendo know what sells
It could be Sakurai's last Smash. His age IS starting to show. Eventually he'll move to a Miyamoto-like role.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It changes the balance of the roster. Just because we have always gotten a Pokémon doesn't mean we will always get a Pokémon. It's a fan rule based on trends. The same sort of rule that says "Ridley can't get in" or "Pichu will never return".

And Fire Emblem also has 700+ characters to rep. So, no, it wouldn't be much different.
Sorry I didn't make my point clear. I was trying to combine the ideas of hundreds of Pokemon and that they are all fan favorites and loved. Sure Fire Emblem has 700+ characters but how many of them have been actually played. How many Nintendo fans could name at least half of them (and I can bet most nintendo die hards can name every pokemon). So yeah there's a huge difference and I don't see anyone complaining about another Pokemon being added (now people will absolutely complain about which being added).

You're right that it will change the balance, but so would any other newcomer and we know we are getting more newcomers anyway (well....I guess we don't KNOW, but try convincing anyone on here that there aren't any more newcomers). Representation restrictions are made up things, and while I do think Sakurai may decide certain series don'e need more representation, I don't think he looks at Pokemon not needing more representation.

Sorry I hope my point was clearer now! I think Pokemon is too important to Nintendo to not add a new character, especially when a fan favorite Pokemon could help sell that game (not that it needs help).

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go ahead and say...

If a character, like Waluigi for example, winds up getting a lot of fan demand, then it's possible (even as DLC for THIS game) for them to become playable and just co-exist as an Assist Trophy.

I mean...characters can already have 8 iterations of themselves on the battlefield at once, right? So what's the big deal?
I agree Sakurai never made it an iron clad rule that playable characters and their Assist Trophies counterparts can't co-exist.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Because Ivysaur and Squirtle are back, we don't need another Pokémon AT ALL.

What would Decidueye bring to Smash? He's an archer? So's Takumi.

Oh, complaining that Fire Emblem has too many characters? POKEMON HAS MORE THAN ANY SERIES ON THE ROSTER.

Decidueye would be added just to fill a slot of "we must have a Pokémon". Which is possible. But it doesn't sound like Sakurai.
We don't have any characters who's moveset is based around archery, and i think it will attract newer Pokemon fans to the series.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I get the feeling Ultimate really is going to be Sakurai's last Smash game, considering the entire game is essentially a tribute to his works and all of his fans.

What I think will happen after this? Smash gets a new director and possibly some new devs, and they make a "soft reboot" of the franchise. Certainly still a follow-up of Ultimate, but different because Sakurai ain't at the wheel.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
No way this is the last Smash Bros. game. The series makes to much money to end, and Reggie even stated that we can expect Smash Bros. once a generation.

Now, this may be Sakurai's final Smash Bros. game, though. Every character he's ever added coming back one last time with him at the helm. I can see him returning next time to oversee development, but wouldn't be the one leading development.

Slavic

Also, maybe now that there won't be an immediate turn around to develop the next Smash, Nintendo could generate some crossover party games, especially would love a Smash Bros. Racing still something like 17 years after the idea came to mind. Let me play as Il Piantissimo please.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I get the feeling Ultimate really is going to be Sakurai's last Smash game, considering the entire game is essentially a tribute to his works and all of his fans.

What I think will happen after this? Smash gets a new director and possibly some new devs, and they make a "soft reboot" of the franchise. Certainly still a follow-up of Ultimate, but different because Sakurai ain't at the wheel.
I won't lie, I'd be down for a future Smash reboot with a whole new team of devs and designers.
Just 12 characters in the initial roster, completely new reworked characters, a whole new take and a whole new bunch of mechanics.

Would be interesting to see.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Nintendo's Day 2 of E3 is about to begin on https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo . Expect to see more Smash Switch among other games.

Maybe I can finally see some god damn Zelda gameplay :p

Search Larry Lurr YT channel, there's a match where he uses Zelda there.
He said the character seems better/"good". Phantom is very improved, Side B in the air not let her in freefall and UpB don't prevent her momentum after teleporting.
All that said, still think is very hard to believe she will be a great character.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go ahead and say...

If a character, like Waluigi for example, winds up getting a lot of fan demand, then it's possible (even as DLC for THIS game) for them to become playable and just co-exist as an Assist Trophy.

I mean...characters can already have 8 iterations of themselves on the battlefield at once, right? So what's the big deal?
If Waluigi is added post-launch I kinda think they'll just replace the Waluigi AT with Ace or some other human from the old Mario Tennis games.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I haven't posted since before the direct. Here is my opinions:

This is the best Smash game ever made, Melee fans say what they like :p Bringing back every character just for the fans? Bringing in the most requested character of them all despite saying they wouldn't? The title does not lie this is the Ultimate game, a game for the fans. I am expecting a lot of fan favourites making it here, possibly around 10. There will be a lot of DLC for sure, also I am convinced we are getting every stage back too. I seriously think that the newcomers for this game will have been picked with the fans in mind. We should all be extremely hyped!

I am so excited for what they did with the Zelda characters. Breaking the consistency is a great thing in my opinion and will allow for a bigger chance for other characters. Impa from Skyward Sword anyone? Also Zelda looks really cute :)

Palutena has been buffed, yes!!!! I really hope Kirby is overall a bit stronger too.

One last thing, some of the stuff I have heard people saying over their favourite most wanted character not getting in has been down right toxic. People really need to show some respect to how much work Sakurai and his team have put in to bring back EVERYONE. I personally wont be annoyed if Bandana Dee doesn't make it, I would be sad yes but I wouldn't say 'I'm not buying this game!!!!!'.

Really hoping we get some new cool stuff in the Treehouse though.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Until I saw Lycanroc and Mimikyu as Pokémon Assist.. I will still think there are posibilities for Pokémon Newcomer.... But unlike previous games... This time isn't needed.
I believe Gardevoir and Zeraora are fair game too, I also believe Gardevoir also could potentially be Zelda's Echo character it could work but it's a slim chance, and I would rather she be her own character anyway.

But yet if they don't make it in, it's understandable.

D

Deleted member

Because some people now think that we might not get a Pokémon newcomer?
No, it's because I just don't see the point of being so adamant about it.
It just seems like a massive waste of time, and I don't see the fun in that - I'd rather just talk about what I want rather than what could happen that may end up disappointing me.
And I'd do that, but every time someone mentions their unlikely wishes they're just coldly told off because of percived "unlikeliness".
It's something that's been on my mind for a while, and I don't appriciate false accusations on my character based off my profile picture.
Edit: Also, on an unrelated note, it seems to have a negative affect on my mental health since my mood has been terrible since yesterday,

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Capture d’écran 2018-06-13 à 13.22.17.png

I don't if it has been posted yet, but see, you can also choose your alt like this, it's a neat touch !

By the way I'm loving the new CSS style and mechanics

D

Deleted member

So,

Who else is keeping hearing Smash Ultimate's main theme in their head non-stop since yesterday?

D

Deleted member

On IMBD, is says Sakurai is voicing Dark Matter. Am I missing something?
He has voiced Dedede in every Smash game since Brawl.
He also voiced him in Kirby 64, which prominently featured Dark Matter.
Someone probably got it mixed up

Slavic

On IMBD, is says Sakurai is voicing Dark Matter. Am I missing something?
imdb is kinda like Wikipedia and anyone can edit it, both Celica and Pyra's VAs were added to it seemingly without their knowledge and have since been removed, so don't pay too much mind to it for now.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No, it's because I just don't see the point of being so adamant about it.
It just seems like a massive waste of time, and I don't see the fun in that - I'd rather just talk about what I want rather than what could happen that may end up disappointing me.
And I'd do that, but every time someone mentions their unlikely wishes they're just coldly told off because of percived "unlikeliness".
It's something that's been on my mind for a while, and I don't appriciate false accusations on my character based off my profile picture.
I’m adamant about the possibility.

Previously, a Pokémon newcomer had seemed like a foregone conclusion. Now it seems a lot more questionable.

I get defensive because I don’t like being attacked for considering that possibility.

The question has often seemed to be “who will the new Pokémon rep be?” I just think that, with the huge representation the series already has, and the smaller and tighter focused newcomer list, we might not get a new Pokémon rep.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Watching the Nintendo Treehouse for Smash...and my boy has been treated even better than in Smash 4

His Smash attacks seem to actually connect consistently, upoerdash and smash attacks have new animation style, new jab infinite, new animation for his victory poses, seems to be stronger than the last two games in general and he’s got a new Star KO line saying “I Never Learned How To Read”...I feel like a happy boy so far

D

Deleted member

I’m adamant about the possibility.

Previously, a Pokémon newcomer had seemed like a foregone conclusion. Now it seems a lot more questionable.

I get defensive because I don’t like being attacked for considering that possibility.

The question has often seemed to be “who will the new Pokémon rep be?” I just think that, with the huge representation the series already has, and the smaller and tighter focused newcomer list, we might not get a new Pokémon rep.
You're missing the point. I'm not just talking about the current discussion.
I'm talking about general discussions regarding predictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom