• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
That's my question. With a smaller, more focused newcomer list, Pokémon already having more characters than any other series on the roster, would we get a Pokémon newcomer at all? It feels as though it would be there just to fill a slot.
Yeah, they're in a very interesting predicament here. Not sure which way it'll go.

Who gets the final say on the Pokemon characters, by the way? Sakurai, Masuda or Ishihara?

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Just remembered that apparently the starting roster is only the original 8 (or 12? not sure which but I'm gonna assume 8), and that unlocks are apparently gonna be streamlined or whatever to make getting everyone not take forever. What methods for unlocking everyone else do you guys think we'll be getting aside from just playing a ton of matches? I have a few ideas for some characters, with assumptions as to what modes will be in the game:

Luigi: Complete Break the Targets with all starter characters
Ness: Get over 1,000 feet in Home Run Contest
Dr. Mario: Clear Classic with Mario
Pichu: Clear Classic with Pikachu
Falco: Complete 100 Man Smash
Marth: Use 12 different characters at least once in VS mode
Young Link: Clear Classic with Link
Ganondorf: Clear Classic with Link and Zelda
Roy: Clear Classic with Marth
Mr. Game & Watch: Clear Break the Targets with 24 different characters
Wolf: Clear Classic with Fox and Falco

This is all just some ideas, it's probably gonna make more sense than these I guess, but it's fun thinking of these.

D

Deleted member

My main concern regarding Decidueye's chances is that there might not be room for a Pokemon newcomer at all, amd even if there will be it might not be Decidueye.
Are we still overrating Decidueye? The guy's unique and all, but now that Ivysaur is back, it just lost it's greatest advantage.

At this point, I'd argue Incineroar is way more likely.
tumblr_o7ag2qCwUb1rvufhzo1_500.gif

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Are we still overrating Decidueye? The guy's unique and all, but now that Ivysaur is back, it just lost it's greatest advantage.

At this point, I'd argue Incineroar is way more likely.
So because Ivysaur is back, we don’t need another Grass Pokémon? And yet you think Incineroar, a Fire Pokemon, is more likely even though we already have Charizard?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, this. I don't think type really matters all that much.
I never thought typing mattered.

I always thought that those who wanted Decidueye just because he's a grass-type weren't thinking hard enough about why he deserved to be in Smash.

But hey, I guess Decidueye is gonna lose 90% of its supporters now that we have a grass-type, right? :troll:

All jokes aside, I think the uniqueness of a purely arrow-based moveset is a much better argument to support Decidueye. But even then, you can only do so much with just arrows...

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hot take on Decidieye we, have FIVE archers now, two of them can fly.

- There are no wrestlers

- There are no tricky ghosts

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Still betting on a Halloween reveal for Mimikyu/Decidueye.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So because Ivysaur is back, we don’t need another Grass Pokémon? And yet you think Incineroar, a Fire Pokemon, is more likely even though we already have Charizard?
We have two Electric types (Pikachu, Pichu) and two Water types (Squirtle, Greninja)

If that doesn't show that Sakurai doesn't really care about having only one of a certain type, I don't know what will.

RedMarf78

Smash Cadet
lol, Bayo's damage output seemed to be around the same but then I realized that a fresh back air does 17%.

IMPORTANT / NEW MECHANIC? : If you watch the first match in Grand Finals of the invitational, you can see that during the first stock Leo and ZeRo try to grab each other at around the same time which results in both grabs being canceled and both players taking 1 percent. This might also signify something about grab armor.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

I always thought that those who wanted Decidueye just because he's a grass-type weren't thinking hard enough about why he deserved to be in Smash.

But hey, I guess Decidueye is gonna lose 90% of its supporters now that we have a grass-type, right? :troll:

All jokes aside, I think the uniqueness of a purely arrow-based moveset is a much better argument to support Decidueye. But even then, you can only do so much with just arrows...
I think a lot of people EXPECTED decidueye just because there was expectation that a new pokemon from gen 7 had to be playable because Pokemon gets new characters every game. Because there's 3 more playable pokemon now, I'm not so sure. Nothing to do with his grass typing imo.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
O wait how is Captain Toad possibly deconfirmed?
Normal toad is heavily involved in daisy/peach grabs/neutral b, he's not just a doll anymore, he actually shows up full character and does the work on his own.
Still a chance captain toad gets in, but significantly less likely.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, who are you guys going to main or secondary? I have so many picks, like BOTW Link, Toon Link (have to think about Young Link), Greninja, Lucario, Marth and Roy among many. I might as well try every character, as I probably could main random if I chose to.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace

But hey, I guess Decidueye is gonna lost 90% of its supporters now that we have a grass-type, right? :troll:

Allo jokes aside, I think the uniqueness of a purely arrow-based moveset is a much better argument to support Decidueye. But even then, you can only do so much with just arrows...
I supported him because of how a fighter with plant based moves (aside from Ivysaur) interested me, and because of the playstyle he'd have with archery, moreso than the three Links and the two Pits, and potential for a Ghost type move or two as well. He just really interested me the most out of potential Gen 7 newcomers, but now I don't really care if we get a Pokemon newcomer or not on the base roster, I feel like we could definitely get one as DLC.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think a lot of people EXPECTED decidueye just because there was expectation that a new pokemon from gen 7 had to be playable because Pokemon gets new characters every game. Because there's 3 more playable pokemon now, I'm not so sure. Nothing to do with his grass typing imo.
Some legit just wanted a grass type to complete the fire-water-grass triangle.

Like how Cosmic said it was "his greatest advantage"

Normal toad is heavily involved in daisy/peach grabs/neutral b, he's not just a doll anymore, he actually shows up full character and does the work on his own.
That doesn't deconfirm Captain Toad, imo. Only the regular Toad.

Captain Toad is visually distinct due to his different clothing.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
This game doesn’t feel real lol and honestly I have 0 clue which newcomers they’ll add this time. I wouldn’t be mad if we didn’t get that many at all and they just focused on overhauling the vets and making cool modes.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I supported him because of how a fighter with plant based moves (aside from Ivysaur) interested me, and because of the playstyle he'd have with archery, moreso than the three Links and the two Pits, and potential for a Ghost type move or two as well. He just really interested me the most out of potential Gen 7 newcomers, but now I don't really care if we get a Pokemon newcomer or not on the base roster, I feel like we could definitely get one as DLC.
You're a true Decidueye supporter then. Nice to meet you.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So, who are you guys going to main or secondary. I have so many picks, like BOTW Link, Toon Link (have to think about Young Link), Greninja, Lucario, Marth and Roy among many. I might as well try every character, as I probably could main random if I chose to.
:4mewtwo:: main

:wolf:: second

RIDELY, THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Third

And probably dabble in many but these are just my initial thoughts.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, who are you guys going to main or secondary? I have so many picks, like BOTW Link, Toon Link (have to think about Young Link), Greninja, Lucario, Marth and Roy among many. I might as well try every character, as I probably could main random if I chose to.
Sticking to Palutena. Reflecting counter is too sexy.

I'm gonna go Pichu or Pikachu Libre as my secondary unless Mimikyu gets announced. MIGHT/REALLY WANT to play Daisy but I suck at Peach....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think Pokemon, Zelda and Mario are getting any more reps.
Impa as a Echo Fighter makes too much sense now. Especially since all Zelda characters are basically having a different design, well except maybe Sheik, Ganondorf and Young Link being from OOT. It's still not impossible, and I have a hard time thinking of better fitting Echo Fighters at this point.

King K.Rool seems very likely tho, and I really think he'll be revealed whenever a new DKC is announced.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Impa as a Echo Fighter makes too much sense now. Especially since all Zelda characters are basically having a different design, well except maybe Sheik, Ganondorf and Young Link being from OOT. It's still not impossible, and I have a hard time thinking of better fitting Echo Fighters at this point.

King K.Rool seems very likely tho, and I really think he'll be revealed whenever a new DKC is announced.
After that Ridley reveal, I think his chances have increased.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I think the lighting is off on characters like Mario and Pikachu, at least compared to their renders.

But considering all the graphical changes from E3 2014 to Smash 4's launch, they'll probably fix them.
I hope, Wolf's render looks pretty bad; along with Snake's & Ganondorf.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Just checked the Disconfirmed list, Meowth is out.

This disconfirmed Toad, not Captian Toad.

Inklings look incredibly fun, and Pokémon Trainer looks cool too.

?????????????

Smash Master
I like Decidueye and all, but if I'm talking about personal Pokemon desires, it's Meowth and Sceptile.

Now then...is there a comprehensive, updating list of confirmed Assist Trophies and Pokeballs, or is that changing so much that no one's bothered?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

That actually makes pretty good sense, although I don't know if we'll be seeing a new DKC before December.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4pit:Lightning Chariot is cool but it makes more sense for Pittoo imo
Well Pit did earn the Lightning Chariot, so atleast that’s a thing (I’ll miss the Three Sacred Treasures though)
Yes! :4wario2: Shoulder bash is back! Thank you Sakurai!
Praise Be Thy Wario
I honestly don't think they mind just straight up deleting an AT from the game should they decide to add someone like Waluigi, Takamaru or Lyn, with there allegedly being over 100 of them in the game it's not something worth keeping a hugely popular character out because of.
Over 100 ATs...oh god the celebration

Troykv

Smash Master
Franchises that I'm sure will not get newcomer unless a echo clone happens.

- Zelda
- Mother
- Star Fox
- These other franchises with one clear representative.

Wild Cards? (getting newcomers and/or Echoes?

- Mario (already has an new Echo)
- Fire Emblem
- Wario
- Animal Crossing

Franchises it seems the most likely to get characters this time; but outside of the last one; are just complete "perhaps"

- Donkey Kong
- Kirby
- Pokémon
- Xenoblade

D

Deleted member

I wanted Decidueye because it's my 3rd favorite Pokemon and because it fills a niche that wasn't filled by any character in Smash history.
Not because of some arbitrary "starter trio".
I've been saying that for ages now

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom