• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Dixie as an Echo Fighter makes extremely little sense. Despite what Source Gaming would have you imply there is nothing about Dixie's moveset that draws any resemblance to Diddy given that he's modeled after his DKC2 incarnation. Diddy's motions in that game are acrobatic, powerful and fast (which reflects onto his moveset in Smash) whereas Dixie's all-fours posture and less strength means she animates completely differently, having to use wide body motions with her hair. She doesn't do cartwheels, she doesn't have a rocketbarrel, her jumps have floats, etc. Imagining Dixie pasted over Diddy's moveset is... extremely awkward. It makes no sense for her to do half the stuff he does and the only reason people assume that to be the case is because they're of a similar size.

If there's any character that would make it in as a DK Echo Fighter, it'd likely be Funky Kong, and it'd be as an Echo Figther of DK.
Daisy doesn't use Toads, so the point of "Dixie doesn't cartwheel" is kinda moot.

Just because a character doesn't do 'X' thing isn't a good enough reason to disagree with the possibility, IMO.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's NOT cute, that's a monstrosity!! Jokes aside, you do have to wonder what Pyrosphere's fate will be, as the Other M Ridley could still return as a boss or stage hazard.
I suppose it can still work with the Metroid canon. Other M Ridley is just a clone of the original.

Of course, most people won't know that, so Ridley fighting Ridley may seem a tad strange.

When I heard that wavedashing was supposedly in, I actually almost cried in joy. When it was deconfirmed, my heart sank. I thought I couldn't get dissapointed anymore. I shielded myself emotionally, and just.... this. I think Sakurai should honestly consider just letting Wavedashing be in instead of stubbornly clinging to his olf-fashioned mindset.
Agreed. I was SO happy that I might be able to wavedash as Weegee again, but now..... the dream is dead.

The one a certain someone who quoted me hates. Not that it matters since I am not coming back.

~~The thread owner of a character who you are happy got deconfirmed~~

I bet you are enjoying my sadness now.
As a hardcore Waluigi supporter, I know exactly how you feel. It REALLY hurts.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I think customs are back, the Treehouse footage of Ike's Eruption didn't really have any changes yet Eruption has a shockwave according to his video
I hate to say it, but if you rewatch the direct on the switch, the captions say that Palutena only has one moveset this time around. I think it’s safe to say that customs are gone.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
If custom moves are gone the ones I will miss the most are:
- Wii Fit Trainer's Jumbo Hoops
- Ganondorf's Warlock Blade an Wizard's Dropkick
- Palutena's Super Speed and Jump Glide
- Rosalina's Shooting Star bits and Luma warp

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Daisy doesn't use Toads, so the point of "Dixie doesn't cartwheel" is kinda moot.

Just because a character doesn't do 'X' thing isn't a good enough reason to disagree with the possibility, IMO.
I think Dixie not having a tail could be seen as better reasoning against her being an echo. Besides, the comparison doesn't really work because Daisy does **** all anyway

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You know I always wanted the roster sorted left-to-right based on Smash seniority. Looks like I'll get my wish!

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I hate to say it, but if you rewatch the direct on the switch, the captions say that Palutena only has one moveset this time around. I think it’s safe to say that customs are gone.
There's a photo of Kirby using ice-breath on the website, however. (I may be wrong.)

Shroob

Sup?
I think Dixie not having a tail could be seen as better reasoning against her being an echo. Besides, the comparison doesn't really work because Daisy does **** all anyway
Could easily replace tail with ponytail frankly. She'd have different animations, but effectively be an echo.

I want a unique Dixie, but I'm also bracing myself in-case it happens. I'm expecting, at the very least, ONE more Echo, so someone's gonna have to take the bullet.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I think being an echo fighter has less to do with how different your gameplay is and more to do with how different your personality is. Daisy and Dark Pit are likely going to play extremely similar to their originals, but Sakurai felt they needed to be separate so they could have their own taunts/victory screen/ mannerisms. Alph doesn't really have different mannerisms to Olimar so he doesn't need to be an echo

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I hope with Ridely’s inclusion is the beginning to the death of the “X Nintendo character can’t get in “ memes

Also I guess because of the classification I’m really on board with these echo guys

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There's a photo of Kirby using ice-breath on the website, however. (I may be wrong.)
I think it's just a photo of Kirby inhaling an Ice Climber attack on the ice Climbers stage. I think it's just meant to reference Kirby's ice breath, hence the blue alt. I could be wrong..mmbut doesn't look like the ice breath.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Ultimate (Blank Ver.) Roster.png

Here it is, the 100% final version of my prediction roster.

In case you were wondering

Wii Fit Logo = New Modern IP Character (Tethu, Rhythm Heaven Character, Spring Man, etc.)
Gyromite Logo = New Retro Character
Kirby Logo =New Kirby Character
Pokemon Logo = Gen 7 Pokemon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Incineroar, etc.)
Smash Bros Logo = 2nd Echo Clone
Sonic Logo = New Third Party Character

Ultimate (Filled Ver.) Roster.png

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I think it's just a photo of Kirby inhaling an Ice Climber attack on the ice Climbers stage. I think it's just meant to reference Kirby's ice breath, hence the blue alt. I could be wrong..mmbut doesn't look like the ice breath.
That's what I thought to, but you can see ice particles around his breath, so maybe? It's very unclear.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I too was under the impression that that could be Kirby's Ice Breath custom special move. But at the same time, that could've been a Freezie that was generating ice particles. The latter thought is questionable though, since Freezie typically has a facial expression.

Anyway, I'm hoping that that IS Kirby's Ice Breath, because that screenshot alone is the best possible evidence that custom special moves may be coming back.

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549

I too was under the impression that that could be Kirby's Ice Breath custom special move. But at the same time, that could've been a Freezie that was generating ice particles. The latter thought is questionable though, since Freezie typically has a facial expression.

Anyway, I'm hoping that that IS Kirby's Ice Breath, because that screenshot alone is the best possible evidence that custom special moves may be coming back.
It looks like the Ice Climber's side special.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Looks like that little iceberg that the ICs make.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It looks like the Ice Climber's side special.
Last I've checked, Ice Shot is a neutral special move, but yeah, I guess I forgot about that ice block possibly being part of Ice Climbers' Ice Shot. But I think I recall that the ice blocks never created any ice particles in Melee or Brawl, so the particles might be a new aesthetic.

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Apparently some people were disappointed with this year's E3.

Why? It showed us our 2018 lineup. Nintendo already stated that 2019 stuff wasn't happening.

Besides, how can you dislike Ultimate and/or think it's a port?
zqOV6JEAffwt2.gif

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Rool still feels real to me

As well as Ashely honestly

Rayman is super possible

Simon is assured it’s gonna come out sometime this week or possibly really early at a later date

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Daisy is a counterpart character who has nothing to pull from in terms of an original moveset. Pasting her over Peach makes sense given how the games where she shows up with Peach has her doing the exact same stuff Peach does. In some cases it also makes even more sense for Daisy to be pasted over Peach given how she has both the Golf Clubs/Tennis Rackets as a Smash attack and her hip attack which is more appropriate for Daisy given how that's what she often posed with in Strikers.

The fact that you're going to have to change a lot of Diddy's moves to accommodate Dixie in both animation and function means she can't possibly be an Echo Fighter. Case in point - Dr. Mario and Roy aren't considered Echo Fighters. Dixie would have to be the exact same given how her jump/recovery would have to be completely different, her dash attack would have to be completely different and her jab would have to be completely different. If you get to a point where you have to rebuild every animation and alter properties of their movement/attacks, they're not an Echo Fighter anymore, and if she's not an Echo Fighter, she's not going to have the same moves Diddy does since that would be completely out of character for her.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apparently some people were disappointed with this year's E3.

Why? It showed us our 2018 lineup. Nintendo already stated that 2019 stuff wasn't happening.

Besides, how can you dislike Ultimate and/or think it's a port?View attachment 148110
The notion that you can't please everyone will always exist. Curiously, the E3 Nintendo Direct never made any 3DS announcements, which may lead to speculation that its lifespan is nearly over.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Last I've checked, Ice Shot is a neutral special move, but yeah, I guess I forgot about that ice block possibly being part of Ice Climbers' Ice Shot. But I think I recall that the ice blocks never created any ice particles in Melee or Brawl, so the particles might be a new aesthetic.
Yeah. Seeing how Ultimate is focusing on being fancy, it could very well be an aesthetic.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The notion that you can't please everyone will always exist. Curiously, the E3 Nintendo Direct never made any 3DS announcements, which may lead to speculation that its lifespan is nearly over.
Or at least until Mario and Luigi comes out.

But if the 3DS dies, that means 2019-20 could see more smaller stuff.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So what's your thoughts on the overall game so far?

Looks great to me, I'm extremely happy with the new alts, G&W changes, New fighters, new stages, the visuals, the layout, it all just looks so great/
(Now let's hope people can stop saying "It's not Melee.")

Oh and also Pac-Land is returning, so that sucks.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
People who think this is a port are being silly. It is clearly meant to be a huge celebration of Snash as a whole hence the veterans and stages. The gameplay seems mechanically different already for a demo build and the visuals and UIs got a overhaul.

There is 6 months and DLC left for new stuff. The pessimism people are showing is silly to me.

Pakky

Smash Hero
People who think this is a port are being silly. It is clearly meant to be a huge celebration of Snash as a whole hence the veterans and stages. The gameplay seems mechanically different already for a demo build and the visuals and UIs got a overhaul.

There is 6 months and DLC left for new stuff. The pessimism people are showing is silly to me.
Yeah and I’m usually pretty careful with my thoughts as of late but yeah there’s nothing bad about this game.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I agree, I don't get how people can be disappointed about this, xD

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I have to say I'm really disliking the idea that Dark Samus would be an echo fighter. Dark Samus couldn't really work as a clone IMHO, they function way too differently.

The Dark Samus recolor being missing doesn't mean much considering Pit had his Dark Pit recolor even after Dark Pit was added as a character.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We haven't seen a ton of new stages yet, so I do hope they add some more to balance out the older ones. Not that I dislike the older ones, but each Smash has a project "goal", right?

64 = Create Smash
Melee = Expand Smash
Brawl = Adjust Smash for everyone
4 Wii U/3DS = Shared and diverse content
Ultimate = Everyone/everything is back.

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
Apparently you can ink assist trophies. :p

Also, what do you guys think are the chances of an E-shop demo?
Smash 3DS had a demo like that, so I'd love to see one for Ultimate. I'd say there's good chances for one, but definitely not a guarantee (Smash Wii U didn't have one, for instance).

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
We haven't seen a ton of new stages yet, so I do hope they add some more to balance out the older ones. Not that I dislike the older ones, but each Smash has a project "goal", right?

64 = Create Smash
Melee = Expand Smash
Brawl = Adjust Smash for everyone
4 Wii U/3DS = Shared and diverse content
Ultimate = Everyone/everything is back.
It's beautiful.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I might have skipped over it being mentioned, but did anyone else thing the face textures on the realistically-proportioned people looked kind of bad? I'm particularly thinking Ike and Snake, though it applies to all of them. I'm not sure what it is, sometimes it almost looked like they were using a texture that was too low resolution and the outlines around the eyes were pretty dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom