• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Predicting how a user would react due to his/her profile? PFFFT, nonsense....

........:4yoshi:
I feel like I can confidently say you would be completely indifferent to the removal of Yoshi, am I right or am I right?

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
"Super Smash Bros. Switch" or (what I prefer personally) "Super Smash Bros.: Rivals."

Gives this iteration an "excuse" to put in a whole bunch of villain or rival characters from franchise people don't expect newcomers in. K. Rool, Medusa, Daisy (yes I am using this as an excuse :p ), Mimikyu, Ridley, the list goes on. They can throw in a Champion as a rival to Link or something/I don't know who rivals Link....and Dark Link is boring.
I realize literally no one would ever agree with me, but Dark Meta Knight could actually be a fun clone

pshhh, nothin personnel, kid
Galacta Knight as a semi-clone is probably more popular, but it doesn't work all that well because he has a lance and, in Smash, all of MK's sword attacks outside of Drill Rush are slashing, which lances don't do. They'd basically share specials, throws and a dash attack.
Also
Morpho Knight has the potential to be cool if Sakurai uses him better than whoever at HAL did

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well the original post mentioned Mewtwo being cut, so that’s what I was referring to. Big fan of Roy too though.
Haha I know I was just joking around XD

Do you guys have any last minute predictions for what the Title of the game will be? I’m going with “Universe” or “Champions”.
Super Smash Bros Combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Hmm ... I got to thinking when it comes to Retro pick of this installment.

What if Lip from Panel De Pon were chosen over Balloon Fighter and Takamaru?
Why I say or even suggest this is the fact that Sakurai likes to pick different from the crowd;

He might think someone like Lip would bring a more unique playstyle over Takamaru, and that he does not fully understand how to implement Balloon Fighter (like with Melee, and the fact that Villager got his up-B)

It's just a thought, but it's not that weird.
No one expected Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B or Mr. Game & Watch.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Why I say or even suggest this is the fact that Sakurai likes to pick different from the crowd;

He might think someone like Lip would bring a more unique playstyle over Takamaru, and that he does not fully understand how to implement Balloon Fighter (like with Melee, and the fact that Villager got his up-B)

Did panel de pon ever release in the west tho?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I realize literally no one would ever agree with me, but Dark Meta Knight could actually be a fun clone

pshhh, nothin personnel, kid
Galacta Knight as a semi-clone is probably more popular, but it doesn't work all that well because he has a lance and, in Smash, all of MK's sword attacks outside of Drill Rush are slashing, which lances don't do. They'd basically share specials, throws and a dash attack.
Also
Morpho Knight has the potential to be cool if Sakurai uses him better than whoever at HAL did
I can just imagine support for Dark Meta Knight going way up when he inevitably shows up in Star Allies and probably has some unique moves from regular Meta Knight, if that matches the teaser image and it’s hinting at his moveset. Of course, that’s way too late to mean anything, for the base roster at least.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
His game has since been ported over here tho, panel de pon hasn't
Perhaps. Still, he only got one game in total, plus some cameos.
The series of PDP got more than that, and while translated over to anywhere, it was in form of Yoshi's Cookie, Puzzle League or Tetris Attack, among some of them, so there is a bunch of them, really.

Lip got tons of cameos.

D

Deleted member

There are many people who would be upset about their most wanted japanese exclusive samurai that was wanted by many for years now to be cut short for a fairt girl with a puzzle based moveset.... I am not one of those people.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, I'm gonna go on a limb and say the entire leak is fake.

NO Ridley.
NO Simon.

Anyone want to bet?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Wait....

John Wick...

As in Keanu Reeves is in Fortnite?
Its known as the reaper... but it's likeness is John Wick and commonly referred to as John Wick online.
Back in season 3... it was like a tier 100 skin... so when you ran into someone with that skin...
It was like you knew you'd die... or like have to play super clutch.

I eventually unlocked it near the end of the season... thank god because now the skin is retired, and my favourite/ most used skin... I use the love wings back bling with it.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
There are many people who would be upset about their most wanted japanese exclusive samurai that was wanted by many for years now to be cut short for a fairt girl with a puzzle based moveset.... I am not one of those people.
Agreed, I would not be one of those either, but ... Why not both? I think there is place for both on the roster, and while speaking of two of the same kin, throw in my home boy Samurai Goroh. Two Retro's and Two Samurai's. Can't be better than that.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
His game has since been ported over here tho, panel de pon hasn't
In the US, there was that little tiny bit of a Panel de Pon game hidden in Pokémon Puzzle Challenge, available only by cheat code. Probably doesn’t really count, but it does exist.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

If Lip gets in instead of Takamaru, that take the heat off of Lyn since she be the only Katana warri- NO! Bad Kat, bad Kat, bad thoughts XD

But bad thoughts aside, Lip sounds like a great character for Smash, I think Sakurai love the game too. Just hearing Lip's theme gets me hyped, it gives me a feeling that she'd be a very energetic fighter

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
What about an Excitebiker as a Retro rep. Heard there game was popular in the NES.

Also starting to doubt the leaks now. Sounds like MVC:I all over again.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Keep in mind, Takamaru has a lot more going for him than Lip does.
  • Sister series to the Legend of Zelda
  • Popular among retros
  • Has a developer interested in working on the franchise
  • Has had his game released internationally
  • Had an assist trophy and a mii costume in Smash 4.
Being the last of the 1986 big four of the NES (Link, Samus, Pit, Takamaru) is a big deal, since that's part of what got Pit considered in the first place.
What about an Excitebiker as a Retro rep. Heard there game was popular in the NES.

Also starting to doubt the leaks now. Sounds like MVC:I all over again.
Both Excitebiker and Balloon Fighter have had their reasons for being left out of Melee put on record by Sakurai.

Sakurai said:
Balloon Fight — seems like he wouldn’t be able to do anything after his balloons are popped

Urban Champion — seems like he doesn’t have a lot of moves

Clu Clu Land — don’t know how she would fight

Excitebike — we’d need to make ramps for him to jump (that’s not really the issue)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
regarding steve being in smash as too ugly ,,,
do you know which character i didnt wanted in smash cause it would be very boring and ugly?

but guess what? he turned out quite right...feels almost.. ALMOST as if sakurai team knew what they were doing...

And even then, do you really think that mincraft stuff is going to look uglier than this?

with all due respect to pacman fans... this stage tears and rends my soul.

Last edited:

Olo

Smash Cadet
I don't think Ridley has a chance. Okay, of course he as a chance, I mean, they added Wii Fit Trainer. I think that it's actually more likely that WFT returns than Ridley being a newcomer. I don't know why I can't see Ridley happening, maybe I just have a bias against him. :/

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
do you know which character i didnt wanted in smash cause it would be very boring and ugly?

but guess what? he turned out quite right...feels almost.. ALMOST as if sakurai team knew what they were doing...

And even then, do you really think that mincraft stuff is going to look uglier than this?

What's your beef with Pac-Man?

Though, I do agree, the stage is terrible.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
We really need to stop using this as an excuse.

Villager cases are the exception, not the rule. Most characters that Sakurai has called impossible in the past are still impossible now.
And how can you say that for sure? Do you know what Sakurai is thinking at every given moment in time? That's totally rad, dude! What's your secret?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

All of the pixel art in Smash other than the ghosts looks somewhere from gross to dreadful, especially with the thin black outlines somehow making it not just clash with everything else but also with itself.

I do think steve is doable, though. The style that became popular from fan animations is used officially now:
Now, granted, that game looks awful and disgusting, but the fan animations can look alright. Part of the problem with the game is that it's too concerned with putting details on things, but just having Steve means it wouldn't be crowded.
Edit: sp

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Seems like the SG guy who did that review was wearing some Reddit goggles.

I won't say Decidueye isn't happening, but to call his likelihood 90% is ridiculous.
I'm not against it either but after some research and comparison, 40%-50% is healthy and fair if you ask me.

But its opinion based, however as you said Reddit Goggles.

Did they seriously give Decidueye 90%

Poor Bandana Dee only managed to get 50%
Which this and the Rayman thing I don't get.

Like in BWD's case HE IS A PLAYER CHARACTER

- Is in important roles

- Has been in multiple games

- Has a unique weapon and set.

75%-90% is healthier but ya'know.

As for Rayman, bro he's out in front of the rest of these 3rd parties cuz he's trophy is in the game already, the model was custom made by Ubisoft if I recall. A 25% chance is stupid 50%-60% maybe as nothing is definite whether it be the base roster or DLC. But 25% feels on the side of impossible, which is unfair.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
We really need to stop using this as an excuse.

Villager cases are the exception, not the rule. Most characters that Sakurai has called impossible in the past are still impossible now.
Nobody is saying that this change of mind will happen, just that it can happen.
And it really can, considering how three of the newcomers in SSB4 were already discarded before

idk, whatever gives people hopes of seeing their most wanted characters getting in I guess

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think Ridley has a chance. Okay, of course he as a chance, I mean, they added Wii Fit Trainer. I think that it's actually more likely that WFT returns than Ridley being a newcomer. I don't know why I can't see Ridley happening, maybe I just have a bias against him. :/
You say that as if Wii Fit Trainer returning is unlikely

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
And how can you say that for sure? Do you know what Sakurai is thinking at every given moment in time? That's totally rad, dude! What's your secret?
I'm not implying to know what he's thinking.

However, I have the capability of taking his statements at face value. It's a gift, I know, since people like yourself are apparently cursed to interpret his statements to mean whatever you want rather than what he says. /s

Yes, Sakurai can and has changed his mind. No, that doesn't mean that his previous opinions have no resemblance to his current ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom