• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
All this retro talk makes me miss the Excitebike assist trophy
He's probably the most unique and likely retro character. 9th best selling NES game and one of Nintendo's most successful series of games.

He could be similar to Robin in that he has super powerful special attacks, but they cause his bike to overheat, disabling use of said attacks. And a meter next to his icon, like Little Mac.
capture x.PNG

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Plot important is not really a deciding factor. I've never even heard of the character you are talking about.
They're pretty important honestly, Nihilego is the central antagonist of Sun/Moon and is indirectly responsible for everything Lusamine does, it's the giant jellyfish pokemon that fuses with her and corrupted her mind.

?????????????

Smash Master
Plot important is not really a deciding factor. I've never even heard of the character you are talking about.
I have to agree. Even though Nihilego is plot important, I don’t think that’s as much a deciding factor for Pokémon. It’d be like if all the box legendaries were the highest priority.

I think Pokémon really is one the where the fans get more of a say, which makes sense since there are SO MANY good Pokémon. There’s no way you could include every Pokémon they really deserves it; even Pokken can’t.

Also, I think for many trainers, their starters are even more important.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've never been able to say "Everybody who thinks this only says it because of this", but literally everyone who claims they can't see Mimikyu working on this website, from what I've seen so far, has admitted they know literally nothing about him and have never played his game or seen the Sun & Moon anime.
I can't be the only one noticing the irony here, right? :p

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
nah man, is a joke. laugh a little, speculah is funny

i mean, you can't even get to capture a Mimikyu if you haven't seen the nihilego. sun and moon is the most linear game ever in pokemon

Last edited by a moderator:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I can't be the only one noticing the irony here, right? :p
The two aren't mutually exclusive. He might have watched the anime or even just seen some gifs. His point is that there are people saying there's nothing that makes Mimikyu work despite them having nearly none of the information that would show that he can. Even if Jinjo knows very little, it could still be sufficient for, for example, believing the character can move around believably.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I mean if the existence of a character is a spoiler, what does that say about their chances?
Not really a spoiler, it shows up pretty early on, and the ultra beasts are kinda central to the games plot which nihilego was the posterboy for and the most important of them

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The two aren't mutually exclusive. He might have watched the anime or even just seen some gifs. His point is that there are people saying there's nothing that makes Mimikyu work despite them having nearly none of the information that would show that he can. Even if Jinjo knows very little, it could still be sufficient for, for example, believing the character can move around believably.
I know, I was just making a somewhat lighthearted jab, is all. :p

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I mean if the existence of a character is a spoiler, what does that say about their chances?
It means they're definitely going to be a trophy, just like how Mother 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles got exposition'd by trophies. :p

Seriously though, Nihilego (Nihelago? Nibellion? Ahegao?) may be important to the plot, but the problem with the Ultra Beasts is that they just aren't as popular or even as marketable as any of the three Alolan starter families, the Rockruff family, Mimikyu, or even Alola Forms like Raichu.

I think the big thing about Pokemon is that Sakurai doesn't necessarily have full say in what Pokemon he can pick. From my understanding, The Pokemon Company can be harder to work with than some of the third-party characters when it comes to putting Pokemon in Smash, because they're just that protective of the IP, even when it comes to franchises like Smash.

Of course, things have changed a lot since 3DS / Wii U, with games like Detective Pikachu showing they're willing to at least try to break away from form and have a bit more leeway with the Pokemon IP, but I still think that Ultra Beasts are probably off the table for now, at least.

This, of course, assumes they're even coming back and weren't just a gimmick for the Alola titles.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
He's probably the most unique and likely retro character. 9th best selling NES game and one of Nintendo's most successful series of games.

He could be similar to Robin in that he has super powerful special attacks, but they cause his bike to overheat, disabling use of said attacks. And a meter next to his icon, like Little Mac.
View attachment 145748
That’d be cool

Since everyone's talking about Retro Characters, has anyone mentioned Ayumi Tachibana yet?
Who

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It means they're definitely going to be a trophy, just like how Mother 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles got exposition'd by trophies. :p

Seriously though, Nihilego (Nihelago? Nibellion? Ahegao?) may be important to the plot, but the problem with the Ultra Beasts is that they just aren't as popular or even as marketable as any of the three Alolan starter families, the Rockruff family, Mimikyu, or even Alola Forms like Raichu.

I think the big thing about Pokemon is that Sakurai doesn't necessarily have full say in what Pokemon he can pick. From my understanding, The Pokemon Company can be harder to work with than some of the third-party characters when it comes to putting Pokemon in Smash, because they're just that protective of the IP, even when it comes to franchises like Smash.

Of course, things have changed a lot since 3DS / Wii U, with games like Detective Pikachu showing they're willing to at least try to break away from form and have a bit more leeway with the Pokemon IP, but I still think that Ultra Beasts are probably off the table for now, at least.

This, of course, assumes they're even coming back and weren't just a gimmick for the Alola titles.
If being important to the plot matters, why don't we have James McCloud? I mean, otherwise Fox wouldn't have been born, amiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiite?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
0dRqKzH.png

Probably nothing, considering they totally spoiled Porky's Mother 3 appearance in Brawl, which didn't even come 2 years worth of time after Mother 3 (Mother 3 release date was April 20 2006, Brawl's was January 31, 2008). They spoiled it not just by trophies but by making him a non-optional boss fight and making New Pork City a stage, if Sakurai had a problem with major spoilers and if that mean't they weren't memorable or iconic enough to get in I doubt he would have done that.

(Also, why is his bed so much larger here than in Mother 3?)

Yeah, all of this is why they're not that likely, but I still think they'd be a cool choice.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We are discussing retro characters again?

Well, I supported Duck Hunt Dog as the NES Zapper rep for 12 years and finally got him in SSB4. Now I’m supporting Track Meet, the nameless track and field athlete from the NES game World Class Track Meet, as the NES Power Pad rep. This game was bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. It would be cool to see Track Meet reunite with them in Smash. :4mario::4duckhunt:

He could be a speedy character with good jumps. This is based on the fact he is a runner and that he competes in jumping events like 110m Hurdles, Long Jump, and Triple Jump. He could even have a triple jump instead of a double jump. His specials could involve the other NES Power Pad game Short Order + Eggsplode.

One special move could have him summon giant burgers to drop from the sky to bury opponents. It could remind you of the arcade game BurgerTime. Another special move could have him place a giant bomb under an opponent (they must tap buttons to get off the bomb). A special move based on World Class Track Meet could involve hurdles. Hurdles could act as barriers that deflect projectiles and force opponents to jump over (they can’t run through it or they will trip). The NES Power Pad itself could act as a flying carpet for his recovery (Up+B).

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i actually had that version of super mario bros with that track meet game... i had the pad too and didn't know how to use it. the whole box of nes games was a hand me down from my cousin. but i'd say wii fit is track meet now

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I’d be careful with basing additions on only popularity.

Wii U added:
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena::4wiifit::4shulk::4robinm::4pacman::rosalina::4villager::4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario:

Characters where popularity probably helped:
:4shulk::4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena:

Now, this isn’t to say popularity isn’t that big of a factor. Every character has their fans. Even Duck Hunt Dog had his. The thing is that roughly a 3rd of Wii U newcomers were arguably popular enough to get that attention.

Other than those 4 I listed, there were other choices favored over them that were certainly considered more popular than the one we got. Let’s not forget who is also always said to be “popular” which “helps their chances”.

Ridley, K.Rool, Lyn, Chrom (arguably expected, not entirely popular), Toad, Waluigi, Zoroark, Mewtwo (not in until DLC, which was probably because of popularity), Takamaru...all were big name characters that many...MANY characters wanted or expected.

None of them except for Mewtwo as DLC, got in. Yet they’re the most popular choices. They’re shoe-ins!!!

When this fan base says, “They’re the most popular pick, of COURSE they have to be in”, it makes me feel like nobody learned from Wii U. With the ballot in play I think there is a chance for characters to be picked based on popularity, but then again that’s not how the ballot has been guaranteed to work. They might take the most creative ideas and stick with those rather than the most votes for picks.

Simply put, simply being popular means nothing. We’ve been through like, 2 games of speculation, and yet the same characters were considered shoe-ins because of their popularity.

Cool it with the buzzwords and just enjoy the ride. We have only a few weeks left until mega salt begins.
I may be giving a mobile game more credit where it's due, but the reason why I think Lyn's popularity is different from other examples of popular characters is becasue the 2017 Heroes CYL poll was pretty much a pure, empirical, measure of popularity. It was basically "which of these characters do you want to see more of", I think we can all agree that that is a basic definition of popularity, and Lyn topped the poll (without Ike's split votes of course, even then he barely beat her.)

While it could be argued that this is confined to Heroes, this sudden victory prompted Intelligent Systems to force Koei Tecmo to put Lyn into Warriors late in development as a fully fleshed out character, not just a last-minute clone. Sakurai said that he likes to put in popular characters that flow with the trends of time, what's a better fit than IS going up to Sakurai early in Smash's development and going "hey we have outright proven popularity for a character from a game that is 15 years old and hasn't been playable in Smash, maybe you should consider it."

Maybe it's just the Smash conspiracy theorist in me, but I'm obsessed with the fact that there is empirical evidence for a character's popularity relatively early in development (Jan 2017). Lyn's definitely not a shoo-in, but to me, she's offered the most evidence to work with out of all of the potential newcomers.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I may be giving a mobile game more credit where it's due, but the reason why I think Lyn's popularity is different from other examples of popular characters is becasue the 2017 Heroes CYL poll was pretty much a pure, empirical, measure of popularity. It was basically "which of these characters do you want to see more of", I think we can all agree that that is a basic definition of popularity, and Lyn topped the poll (without Ike's split votes of course, even then he barely beat her.)

While it could be argued that this is confined to Heroes, this sudden victory prompted Intelligent Systems to force Koei Tecmo to put Lyn into Warriors late in development as a fully fleshed out character, not just a last-minute clone. Sakurai said that he likes to put in popular characters that flow with the trends of time, what's a better fit than IS going up to Sakurai early in Smash's development and going "hey we have outright proven popularity for a character from a game that is 15 years old and hasn't been playable in Smash, maybe you should consider it."

Maybe it's just the Smash conspiracy theorist in me, but I'm obsessed with the fact that there is empirical evidence for a character's popularity relatively early in development (Jan 2017). Lyn's definitely not a shoo-in, but to me, she's offered the most evidence to work with out of all of the potential newcomers.
And if you’re a threat to Ike of all people, you’re deserving of a FE rep spot

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If being important to the plot matters, why don't we have James McCloud? I mean, otherwise Fox wouldn't have been born, amiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiite?
upload_2018-5-24_20-5-33.png

Also known as "Well, if Nihilego is important to the plot and is important enough to be added to Smash, why don't we add James McCloud? Or Adam Malkovich from Other M? Or the Stork from Yoshi's Island?" Absurd claims meant to trivialize another premise by association, not a very good way to prove your argument.

(I knew my Ethics class would come in handy :p ).

Also, the whole point of my post was that Nihilistic Lego is not the best option for Smash out of the Alolan Pokemon. I was kind of backing your argument up, lmao.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
i actually had that version of super mario bros with that track meet game... i had the pad too and didn't know how to use it. the whole box of nes games was a hand me down from my cousin. but i'd say wii fit is track meet now
I had that version too. That’s one of the reasons why I support Track Meet. It’s also why I supported Duck Hunt Dog in the first place.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
View attachment 145752

Also known as "Well, if Nihilego is important to the plot and is important enough to be added to Smash, why don't we add James McCloud? Or Adam Malkovich from Other M? Or the Stork from Yoshi's Island?" Absurd claims meant to trivialize another premise by association, not a very good way to prove your argument.

Also, the whole point of my post was that Nihilistic Lego is not the best option for Smash out of the Alolan Pokemon. I was kind of backing your argument up, lmao.
I don't think I ever agreed with a post more than this

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
View attachment 145752

Did they ever teach you about "analogies"? The point was that you argued he should be added BECAUSE he's important to the plot.

So congratulations. You can copy and paste dictionary definitions that don't apply. In otherwords, it's a joke.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ridley and Simon are both safe enough to not be completely unexpected, but difficult enough to be hard to believe.

Ice Climbers however are an absolute given under any circumstances.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Mimikyu was the most well received Pokemon in that magazine and had a song released. All the game sites were talking about him.

From Wikipedia:
Kotaku called Mimikyu "Game Freak’s most brilliant and heartbreaking Pokémon that they’ve ever come up with", and noted Mimikyu's large Internet fan following.[9] Catrina Dennis of Inverse also observed this following, writing that "a new, immediate obsession has begun to spread throughout the [Pokémon] fandom surrounding one addition [Mimikyu] that has pulled at players’ heartstrings already".[10] Janine Hawkins of Paste explained the online attention as being a result of the character's design, writing that "fans have embraced the creature expressly because of [its] overt vulnerability ... Mimikyu was designed to emotionally compel us, and they’ve already been a huge success".[11]

Destructoid listed Mimikyu as one of its staff's favorite Alolan Pokémon, stating that it is "probably going to be the star of Gen VII for a lot of people".[12] Allegra Frank of Polygon wrote that Mimikyu "may be one of the most unique, creepiest Pokémon to ever join the series",[13] and Jessica Lachenal of The Mary Sue wrote that "Mimikyu is as mysterious as it is adorable".[14]

How do you know that?

Mimikyu is literally Pikachu's RIVAL in the anime. It has a hatred specifically for Pikachu and part of why he's so popular is that he mimics Pikachu's appearance. So Mimikyu's role is not comparable to Seviper and Woobat.

Then why does he have his own song, totem battle, and consistent appearances in the anime?

A Pokemon doesn't need their own ****ing movie in order to qualify as "made to be popular".
Regarding the first point, I was never debated Mimikyu's popularity. I merely disputed the idea that Game Freak intentionally pushes Mimikyu in a way similar to Greninja or other Pokemon. Citing extremely positive reactions to Mimikyu further suggests the point I'm trying to make: that Mimikyu's popularity grew from a strong fan response rather than Game Freak themselves. The point I was trying to make was Game Freak not pushing Mimikyu due to being revealed in korokoro instead of a video

Second, Jessie's Mimikyu has appeared in 5 episodes of the Pokemon anime. It has battled Pikachu 4 times, but I'd hesitate to call Mimikyu a "rival" of Pikachu's for the same reason I'd hesitate to call Ekans a rival of Pikachu, it simply doesn't have the chops to keep up with Pikachu. Pikachu has beat Mimikyu 3 of those 4 times (and the one time it won the battle was intercepted by Bewear). Team Rocket's pokemon have never been especially strong battlers (which is common for Pokemon being pushed by Game Freak) and Mimikyu is no exception, regardless of whether or not he has a backstory.

Third, Magikarp and Slowpoke also had their own song, but I'd hesitate to call them the darlings of Game Freak. Mimikyu being a totem Pokemon is owed more to being a ghost type than being pushed. The only other primary ghost types new to Alola are Palossand and Dhelmise, which are much more defensively oriented that Mimikyu, making Mimikyu the best boss of the three.

Of course a Pokemon doesn't need a movie to be pushed. That's a ridiculous idea and I never implied that. However, even without a movie I wouldn't consider Mimikyu as being pushed by Game Freak.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We are discussing retro characters again?

Well, I supported Duck Hunt Dog as the NES Zapper rep for 12 years and finally got him in SSB4. Now I’m supporting Track Meet, the nameless track and field athlete from the NES game World Class Track Meet, as the NES Power Pad rep. This game was bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. It would be cool to see Track Meet reunite with them in Smash. :4mario::4duckhunt:

He could be a speedy character with good jumps. This is based on the fact he is a runner and that he competes in jumping events like 110m Hurdles, Long Jump, and Triple Jump. He could even have a triple jump instead of a double jump. His specials could involve the other NES Power Pad game Short Order + Eggsplode.

One special move could have him summon giant burgers to drop from the sky to bury opponents. It could remind you of the arcade game BurgerTime. Another special move could have him place a giant bomb under an opponent (they must tap buttons to get off the bomb). A special move based on World Class Track Meet could involve hurdles. Hurdles could act as barriers that deflect projectiles and force opponents to jump over (they can’t run through it or they will trip). The NES Power Pad itself could act as a flying carpet for his recovery (Up+B).
I am not so sure about PowerPad, mainly because the PowerPad was officially made by Bandai in Japan and not Nintendo. So I am not sure if Sakurai would consider the PowerPad to be important to Nintendo's history.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

I'm still mystified by Lyn's sudden popularity. I could've sworn FE7 was never that popular five or six years ago, and even when Awakening released, she still wasn't as popular as she is now. Her sudden burst of popularity might be a bit too late.

Back in Brawl, she was my most wanted, but now there's just many more possible and interesting FE characters , like Micaiah or Celica (now in the spotlight).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Regarding the first point, I was never debated Mimikyu's popularity. I merely disputed the idea that Game Freak intentionally pushes Mimikyu in a way similar to Greninja or other Pokemon. Citing extremely positive reactions to Mimikyu further suggests the point I'm trying to make: that Mimikyu's popularity grew from a strong fan response rather than Game Freak themselves. The point I was trying to make was Game Freak not pushing Mimikyu due to being revealed in korokoro instead of a video

Second, Jessie's Mimikyu has appeared in 5 episodes of the Pokemon anime. It has battled Pikachu 4 times, but I'd hesitate to call Mimikyu a "rival" of Pikachu's for the same reason I'd hesitate to call Ekans a rival of Pikachu, it simply doesn't have the chops to keep up with Pikachu. Pikachu has beat Mimikyu 3 of those 4 times (and the one time it won the battle was intercepted by Bewear). Team Rocket's pokemon have never been especially strong battlers (which is common for Pokemon being pushed by Game Freak) and Mimikyu is no exception, regardless of whether of not he has a backstory.

Third, Magikarp and Slowpoke also had their own song, but I'd hesitate to call them the darlings of Game Freak. Mimikyu being a totem Pokemon is owed more to being a ghost type than being pushed. The only other primary ghost types new to Alola are Palossand and Dhelmise, which are much more defensively oriented that Mimikyu, making Mimikyu the best boss of the three.

Of course a Pokemon doesn't need a movie to be pushed. That's a ridiculous idea and I never implied that. However, even without a movie I wouldn't consider Mimikyu as being pushed by Game Freak.
Forgive me, but this is just full of false equivalencies and misinformation that are too long and and numerous to address.

I mean, you referred to Ekans as Pikachu's rival.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question I've always been curious about. Do we know what Company/Animation studios worked on the CGI trailers for Smash 4? I'm talking about the main high definition ones like Mega Man/Villager/Rosalina/Bowser Jr., etc. Is it Bamco's own studios? A bunch of obscure studios or what? I assume it's the same studio again for Smash Switch? I hope it's Namco's own. Those Tekken 7 ones are phenomenal.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm still mystified by Lyn's sudden popularity. I could've sworn FE7 was never that popular five or six years ago, and even when Awakening released, she still wasn't as popular as she is now. Her sudden burst of popularity might be a bit too late.

Back in Brawl, she was my most wanted, but now there's just many more possible and interesting FE characters , like Micaiah or Celica (now in the spotlight).
Lyn has always been popular, maybe less so but you can find fan requests of her dating from the pre-Brawl, post-FE7 era.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Did they ever teach you about "analogies"? The point was that you argued he should be added BECAUSE he's important to the plot.

So congratulations. You can copy and paste dictionary definitions that don't apply. In otherwords, it's a joke.
I actually never argued he should be added because of plot:

I still think that Ultra Beasts are probably off the table for now, at least.
Nowhere did I say anything along the lines of "Nihilego should be added because of plot". And yes, they did teach us about analogies. It was a pretty good class, actually, besides the professor sounding like Ms. Fowl from Jimmy Neutron.

I know it's a joke, I learned long ago to never take anyone here seriously because we can't convey sarcasm very well online. I just really like arguing with strangers on the internet over video games because it makes me feel fuzzy inside and fills the void in my life that my antidepressants can't help with. :)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Forgive me, but this is just full of false equivalencies and misinformation that are too long and and numerous to address.
Name one false equivalency or piece of misinformation in my post. If I'm so wrong about Mimikyu, highlight where I went wrong and explain what the truth is instead. Perhaps you really are right about Mimikyu and I'm misunderstanding something, I'm totally willing to have a conversation about this.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wondering if Isabelle should have a currency system based on bells that enhance her Public Works Project specials (as fans have suggested setting up traps based on her public works projects would be fitting).

Each special has three stages.
Stage 1 is free, 2 is better and cost 10 bells, and the third is the best and cost 20 bells.
Isabelle will automatically use the best and most expensive version of her special.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Back in Brawl, she was my most wanted, but now there's just many more possible and interesting FE characters, like Micaiah or Celica (now in the spotlight).
I think it's part of FE7 being really successful, especially in the West. Pre-Awakening, FE had absolutely no marketing, no, negative marketing (Dorcas commercial anyone?). FE7 was right after Melee and everyone wanted to play the game with Marth and Roy in it. It had the most promotion the series ever had and was a lot of Westerners first introduction to the series, making Lyn nostalgic and popular.

Yeah, Lyn's pretty low tier when it comes to an interesting newcomer compared to other FE options. While I think her katana-like swords and bow implementation can be used uniquely, but different weapons would be much better. Side-note, if Ridley somehow gets added despite his size, I cannot wait for Pegasus and Wyvern Knights as mounted units being repped. Horses would be pretty cool too.

I'd understand Lyn not making the base game, but then she'd still be one of the strongest picks for DLC.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Name one false equivalency or piece of misinformation in my post. If I'm so wrong about Mimikyu, highlight where I went wrong and explain what the truth is instead. Perhaps you really are right about Mimikyu and I'm misunderstanding something, I'm totally willing to have a conversation about this.
So am I, but your posts are loooooooong.

So I'll just list them
  • Mimikyu is a rival in the sense that he clashes with Pikachu often and has a hatred for. He has a motivation for wanting to defeat or be better than him. This is not comparable to Ekans.
  • Mimikyu is a rival in that he's sort of an anti or nega Pikachu as is obvious by his design. He's kind of like Fake Crash or Wario, even if, like those characters, don't clash with the main character often, but Mimikyu of course does. Also not comparable to Ekans or Seviper. And that doesn't mean Mimikyu is equivalent to Wario, it's just a comparison to them as characters, not of their accomplishments.
  • Pretty sure Mimikyu appeared in way more episodes, including quite recently.
  • Whether or no Mimikyu is a match for Pikachu is irrelevant.
  • Mimikyu's totem role went beyond a boss battle, there were motives and a backstory and I believe he shows up later.
The point is, I don't feel like playing tennis with posts that are paragraphs long.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am not so sure about PowerPad, mainly because the PowerPad was officially made by Bandai in Japan and not Nintendo. So I am not sure if Sakurai would consider the PowerPad to be important to Nintendo's history.
This video is what sparked my support for Track Meet for Smash back in May 2015.

All these products made by Nintendo... and they included one from Bandai? :confused:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
View attachment 145752

Hey, just so you know, ad absurdum is a rhetorical tactic, but that's not the same thing as a fallacy. It's just a specific version of taking a set of premises and applying them to a situation where they would show a more obvious inconsistency. You know, giving a counterexample. Not everything in debate that has its own term in philosophy is fallacious, but you also could have seen that from reading the definition in the image you provided.

(I knew my Logic class would come in handy :p ).

Honestly, I don't really like the styles the UBs are done in, but Nihilego seems possible for the specific purpose of representing UBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom