• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The issue comes from the fact that Monita has one arm.

If she is holding an item, how else would she attack? Spawn a new arm out of nowhere?
She would attack with the item she's using.

And for attacks that can still be used while using an item, just put the item in hammerspace temporarily.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay, new game:

Dillon’s Rolling Western, Pushmo, Ever Oasis, ARMs, 1080, Waverace, BoxBoy, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Nintendo Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Star Tropics, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Balloon Fight/Kid, Clu Clu Land, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Daigasso Band Brothers, Elite Beat Agents, Devil World.

Of these 23 Nintendo franchises... in this game... seven will get new characters.

Aaaaand name em

(Did you think of a Nintendo franchise I didn’t? Oh fine, take it from that)
Dillon, Chibi, Isaac, Balloon Fighter, Mallo, Qbby, Andy

I think maybe one of these could make it at least.

Here's a (hopefully) fun question for you all.

Sometimes, when NIntendo announces Smash Bros. characters, said announcement coincides with something else happening regarding the character and/or their series (for example, Cloud was announced in the same Direct that announced he would appear in Final Fantasy Explorers, and Shulk was announced in the same Direct that announced the 3DS port of XBC1).

So, just for fun, take your most wanted newcomer (or maybe a newcomer you just expect to be in the game, not necessarily your most wanted), and come up with an announcement regarding their series that Nintendo would pair their Smash Bros. reveal with.

For example, they could announce Phoenix Wright for Smash Bros at the same time Capcom officially announces Ace Attorney 7.
Captain Toad announced for DLC in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the MineKart and Mario Tennis Ace's with a pickaxe instead of a racket. I can't do a port when that's already been announced ;;

Okay, new game:

Dillon’s Rolling Western, Pushmo, Ever Oasis, ARMs, 1080, Waverace, BoxBoy, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Nintendo Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment, Star Tropics, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Balloon Fight/Kid, Clu Clu Land, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Daigasso Band Brothers, Elite Beat Agents, Devil World.

Of these 23 Nintendo franchises... in this game... seven will get new characters.
Dillon
Chibi Robo
Issac
Andy
Fawful
Balloon Fighter
Takamaru

You should never give up your character or politician or beliefs because of fans.
This.

The "I don't want the character in because I was offended by a small section of ____ fans" reasoning is the worst excuse to make, out of all excuses to not want a character.

You look at the individual character and judge them on their own merits, characteristics, what they bring to the table and make a decision based on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Is Smash Invitational going to be a trailer or some sort or a description of it or a long discussion?
Just curious.

Also Decidueye and Spring Man are the most likely characters in my book going to be revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So Is Smash Invitational going to be a trailer or some sort or a description of it or a long discussion?
Just curious.

Also Decidueye and Spring Man are the most likely characters in my book going to be revealed.
The Smash Bros Invititational is a tournament where the contestants are usually bigger-name Smash players who are invited (hence the name) to participate in the event.

All the trailers and stuff will probably be during the Direct Event or whatever they’re calling it, earlier in the day, where it’s basically just a bigger direct. Although there might be another character reveal or something during the invitational itself.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Just curious..
The Smash Invitational will be a Smash Bros. tournament using the new game. There might be a trailer or something before/afterwards but the event itself is a tournament.

Edit: :4greninja:'d by a Bidoof, but in my defence it apparently can go Mega :p

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Must say it's odd that we're getting the first public showing of the game right after the main direct.

If I'm honest, it feeds into my fears that things won't be as big as they were in Smash 4. Not talking cuts but more wondering how much new stuff is there. My best hope is they're going for a more guarded marketing scheme, where they don't post information everyday and can focus on development.

IIRC, Sakurai said even at the late stage seen, they were contemplating adding an attack to the Tanooki Leaf.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Must say it's odd that we're getting the first public showing of the game right after the main direct.

If I'm honest, it feeds into my fears that things won't be as big as they were in Smash 4. Not talking cuts but more wondering how much new stuff is there. My best hope is they're going for a more guarded marketing scheme, where they don't post information everyday and can focus on development.

IIRC, Sakurai said even at the late stage seen, they were contemplating adding an attack to the Tanooki Leaf.
That's just how Nintendo's marketing has been lately tbh. We find out about games much closer to their launch now, and then get info about it close to release. It's completely different from Wii u era.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

This is a reasonable fear, but you have to keep in mind that this development cycle is drastically different from the previous one. For one, there is no 3DS version this time. All time and resources will go to one complete product.
Smash Switch also has been in development for a long time and we weren't informed about it until a month ago. Compare that to Smash 4. When Smash 4 was announced, the game wasn't even in development yet. Even Sakurai didn't know about it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This is a reasonable fear, but you have to keep in mind that this development cycle is drastically different from the previous one. For one, there is no 3DS version this time. All time and resources will go to one complete product.
Smash Switch also has been in development for a long time and we weren't informed about it until a month ago. Compare that to Smash 4. When Smash 4 was announced, the game wasn't even in development yet. Even Sakurai didn't know about it.
Smash 4's announcement was us being told when asked to develop a Smash game for either 3DS or Wii U, Sakurai said both.

You might be thinking of Brawl.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Don't quote me on this but I don't think a series being niche or not matters that much in my opinion.
Agreed. But timing does.

People are so fixated on the whole niche thing, as if straying away from the norm will somehow negatively impact the commercial and critical reception of Super Smash Bros. because Nintendo isn't just sticking with the million sellers. You know, despite the fact that a lot of characters in Super Smash Bros. are already from niche titles that only people interested in video games will even recognize. Almost like it's supposed to be a crossover meant to cover as much of Nintendo's legacy as humanly possible, and even beyond that too.
Tell that to all the people who who have the whole "scraping the bottom of the barrel" mentality when it comes to Smash 5 newcomers.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4's announcement was us being told when asked to develop a Smash game for either 3DS or Wii U, Sakurai said both.

You might be thinking of Brawl.
I thought the first mention of Smash 4 was by Iwata during E3 2011. I also remember reading somewhere that Sakurai wasn't informed about this decision, but I wasn't able to find a source on that, so ignore that comment.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I thought the first mention of Smash 4 was by Iwata during E3 2011. I also remember reading somewhere that Sakurai wasn't informed about this decision, but I wasn't able to find a source on that, so ignore that comment.
You're thinking of Brawl.

Between Melee HD and SSB3, we have what we have.

Which reminds me, as a kid nothing was more hype to me than SSBB. I think Sakurai really nailed it, despite general mixed feelings.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Had a small thought of actual optimism towards Smash 5 based off what little we know of the game. Link has his BotW outfit which means he might lose that damn gale boomerang and I might enjoy using him again. Granted, the gale boomerang is just part of it, I have to get used to his jump strike dash attack still and I seriously hope they change his dair back to its 64/Melee/Brawl version. Sm4sh Link dair is so bad...just like most dairs in that game actually. I am able to say with confidence though that the boomerang is a big part of it for me since I've played 64, Melee, Brawl, PM and Sm4sh all within the last 6 months or so.

Gonna reply to some posts that were quite a ways back just because I have the one saved to my phone and the other I don't even really need to remember the specifics. First reply is to a post Senselessbreak made quite a ways back
Toad or Waluigi? Waluigi
Geno or Paper Mario? Paper Mario
Dixie or K Rool? K Rool
Ridley or Sylux? Ridley
Impa or Tingle? Don't care
Decidueye or Inciniroar? Don't care
Bandana Dee or Marx? Bandana Dee
Isabelle or Tom Nook? Isabelle
Springman or someone else from ARMS? Don't care
Hades or Medusa? Hades
Wolf or Krystal? Wolf
Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh? Black Shadow
Crash or Spyro? Either. Slight preference to Crash
Rayman or Rabbids? Don't care
Bomberman or Simon Belmont? Simon Belmont

There was a post with Ridley and a bunch of third parties where the poster asked if you'd prefer Ridley or the third party character and there was a lot. For me, it'd easily be Ridley even though I don't remember the third party characters listed. I'm not even that big of a Ridley supporter, I just think he should be in the damn game finally as a playable character since fans have wanted it for so long, balance be damned. Not like balance hasn't gone out the window before :pikachu64::foxmelee::falcomelee::icsmelee::metaknight::popo::4bayonetta::4cloud:. I know there's other issues like size but I say **** it. Make him big. As long as he can actually take knockback then it's not too much different from controlling a Melee version of Giga Bowser.

Also, I caught up to page 941 last night and there was a lot of posts around there of what characters people were wanting during the speculation period for each Smash game. I was born in 95 so I would've been 12? when Brawl came out. Wasn't around for the speculation of that game so I only really have speculation for Sm4sh to my name and from what I recall, I wanted Wolf and Pichu and a revamped Ganon and got none of that. I don't recall who all I wanted for newcomers but just doing a quick look at the icons for Sm4sh, I can say I didn't want any character we got whatsoever. Might be contributing to my belief that Brawl has the better roster between it and Sm4sh.

Anyways, since I'm stuck forever playing catch up, has there been any news between now and the 19th of April? I see there's an article on the front page mentioning that Nintendo is focusing on Smash for this upcoming E3.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
so you guys think we`ll get any info on ANY nintendo games? like an fe direct pokemon direct or something, this month still? from the sounds of it seems like e3 is the next time we are really gonna get any info and then they will probably do a pokemon direct shortly after

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Did anyone here see that "leak" from 4chan with announcer voices for Lyn, Viridi, Decidueye, and Ice Climbers? I just saw it now, so I'm just wondering.
I think I'd probably find voice samples pretty unconvincing in general as I don't image it would be difficult replicate something that sounds like a Smash announcers voice.

Roberk

Smash Champion
so you guys think we`ll get any info on ANY nintendo games? like an fe direct pokemon direct or something, this month still? from the sounds of it seems like e3 is the next time we are really gonna get any info and then they will probably do a pokemon direct shortly after
Pokémon is definitely being saved for E3, if the Master of Hyrule leak is right about Pokémon stuff on the show floor then it seems unreasonable to have a big reveal before a big reveal at E3. FE Switch is a bit more shaky, but the financial report confirmed its still coming in 2018, so it's just whether space can be made for it alongside Pokémon and Smash at E3 or not.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I do not. It's only 6 weeks away, no use in doing any announcements bar Online Details which will come later this month.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What do you think are the odds of Hyrule Warriors, Pokken, and FE Warriors having any influence on this next Smash game?

I ask this because I feel like none of us have really made it clear where we stand on the issue. Some us say that spin-off games like these won't get anything beyond a few trophies at best, while others say that Impa, Decidueye, and Lyn have a great chance of making the roster thanks to their relevancy in these games.

Roberk

Smash Champion
What do you think are the odds of Hyrule Warriors, Pokken, and FE Warriors having any influence on this next Smash game?

I ask this because I feel like none of us have really made it clear where we stand on the issue. Some us say that spin-off games like these won't get anything beyond a few trophies at best, while others say that Impa, Decidueye, and Lyn have a great chance of making the roster thanks to their relevancy in these games.
I can see the characters benefitting from the relevance of those games but I'm not counting on much specifically from the spin-offs like stages or OCs. The music remixes of the Warriors games would be enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo needs to up the spin-off representation.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby's various little side games.

It's kinda sad that only Mario spin-offs seem to count any more. (At least Melee had the Zero One trophy.)

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’m still riding on that avengers hypeI started wondering what marvel heroes would make cool character archetypes in smash and what newcomer could fill that type and have a moveset that could somewhat be similar
For example
Fi = Vision
Ghirahim = Ebony Maw
Decidueye = Hawkeye

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

I think pokken will get representation through a playable character. It's an important series to Nintendo at this point. wouldn't be hard to convert a pokken move set into a smash move set either. Practically writes itself.

I'm thinking the warriors series gets some music tracks and some trophies. Not much else.

On the subject of that, I think we'll see a lot of trophies telling games that have come out super recently or have yet to release seeing as how easy they are to implement. I could even see dlc challenges added to unlock new trophies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Personally, I don't think things like that really matter. If Sakurai is the one who makes all the calls, like I keep hearing, then I'd just say it depends on what he wants to do, what the ballot wanted to do, and then newish releases that "deserve" a place in Smash.

Arbitrary things like "spin-off games," don't REALLY matter. Decidueye might make it into Smash but if he does I'm willing to bet its because of his popularity in the main series as opposed to the much smaller fanbase of Pokken.

As far as spin-offs go I want Ashley in Smash. I love mystery dungeon but what are they gonna do with that? Give Pikachu a skin with an explorer badge? One stage that most players probably won't know where it came from? Seems kinda pointless to me.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I doubt Sakurai has as many "rules" as we do. Cloud should have proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think pokken will get representation through a playable character.
How? There aren't any Pokemon that debuted in Pokken Tournament.

It's an important series to Nintendo at this point.
Are you Nintendo?

wouldn't be hard to convert a pokken move set into a smash move set either. Practically writes itself.
You're converting a 3D fighting game character into a 2D Fighting game.

Roberk

Smash Champion
How? There aren't any Pokemon that debuted in Pokken Tournament.

Are you Nintendo?

You're converting a 3D fighting game character into a 2D Fighting game.
Didn't Pokken have that 2 dimensional mechanic? They already converted the movesets into 2d and even if they didn't the game provides a lot of stuff they could pull from with creative liberties. Physicals, specials, idles, general animations, any fighting game has a ton of references to be used in a Smash moveset.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So I would like to survey about third-parties to get some different perspectives:

1. Do you think all of the third-parties will be heavily determined by ballot results?

2. Do you think there will be special cases for third-parties to where demand is not a factor, such as Sakurai possibly working with Bandai Namco to negotiate a character like Heihachi?

3. In your opinion what are the chances of Smash Switch getting a Western third-party?

4. Is there a chance we will be seeing 3+ third-parties for this new Smash Switch game?

5. Which third-parties do you feel are in the brink of getting cut?

I would appreciate in-depth answers. :)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So I would like to survey about third-parties to get some different perspectives:

1. Do you think all of the third-parties will be heavily determined by ballot results?

2. Do you think there will be special cases for third-parties to where demand is not a factor, such as Sakurai possibly working with Bandai Namco to negotiate a character like Heihachi?

3. In your opinion what are the chances of Smash Switch getting a Western third-party?

4. Is there a chance we will be seeing 3+ third-parties for this new Smash Switch game?

Third parties are VERY likely going to be a result of requests. That was a huge factor in Mega Man being one of the first characters added to the last game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I think it'll be a big factor, I mean sonic, mega man and Cloud are all essentially in because of fan requests anyway. It's what gives me hope for rayman tbh.

osby

Smash Obsessed

1. Yes. Considering at least Cloud and Bayonetta got in just because of fan demand, I think they'll try to negotiate for most popular ones/one.

2. A character like Snake is always possible but it's hard to say. Originality definitely going to be a factor. Even if Tekken is different from Street Fighter, they probably won't want to give him similar commands to Ryu.

3. Quite low. Sakurai stated in the past that he wants to support Japanese game developers. If one get in, they need to be placed quite high on the ballot across the world.

4. Possible, but definitely not in the base game. Again, Sakurai stated he doesn't want to shift the focus from Nintendo too much.

5. None of them. Sonic and Bayonetta are pretty safe and there is no reason not to add Cloud, Ryu, Pac-Man or Mega Man unless their owners doesn't want to and I can't imagine why.

SonicMario

Smash Master

1. Not all. As we saw, Bayonetta was the 3rd party at least partly in thanks to the Ballot. Megaman, Sonic, and Cloud were all included based on some sort of high demand (Cloud the least of which but Sakurai did cite that Cloud was the most suggested Final Fantasy character despite not much presence on Nintendo consoles). Pac-Man and Ryu (Also Snake in Brawl of course) definitely feel like special favors, Namco for helping develop the game plus the general appeal of having Mario, Pac-Man, Megaman, and Pac-Man all in the same game. And we know Sakurai used to play Street Fighter competitively back in the day, and I think he even used Ryu back then. So with Megaman already in the game, Sakurai may have thought it could be interesting to call Capcom again for Ryu.

2. Possibly? At this point pretty much any 3rd Party could have had some decent demand from the Ballot. But they may be a case or two where it was more Nintendo outreaching more then fans requesting it. Depends on just who gets in.

3. If we get one it's probably Crash. Since Crash has a big following in Japan too.

4. You mean 3 or more new 3rd Parties other then the ones we already got in Smash 4 correct? I would say no at least on base game. I only expect one or two more new 3rd parties in the base game. But we'll most definitely get 3rd Parties in DLC. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta all together I think has made it clear 3rd Parties are sought after pretty hard in the DLC period.

5. I hope none of them are. But I suppose Cloud is the most in danger if there is one. It's been said Square can be stingy and the representing Cloud got in Smash 4 was really lacking for some reason. They could only get two songs when Final Fantasy has such a great potential for great music for Smash. (It's still practically a cardinal sin they didn't at least get One Winged Angel in there). Still, it's not like Square has had a recent falling out with Nintendo like Konami has with just about everybody. I still feel like Cloud has a good chance of staying simply because I can't see Square missing out on the chance to include a popular character of there's on the Smash game for a much more successful Nintendo console then the Wii U was.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

1. It will certainly have some effect, but it's not going to be the most decisive factor, and I don't think all of them will necessarily be picked because of the ballot results. Like, if for example Rayman ended up higher on the ballot than Bomberman, but both of them still got a decent amount of votes, and Sakurai sees more potential in Bomberman, then I'm pretty sure he'll prioritize him. I could also see Sakurai skipping out on someone who placed high if he doesn't deem them iconic enough, especially if they're not very prominent in Japan, as is the case with Rayman, Banjo and Spyro. When we're talking third parties then there's always the chance that gaining rights will be too difficult too. I think the ballot will just give Sakurai a better idea of how wanted certain characters are, but after that they still have to go through the same checks as every previous 3rd party character has had to, no one is going to get included solely because of their popularity (hence the "among realizable characters" sentence in the Bayonetta presentation).

2. It's certainly possible, it's worth remembering that our very first third party got in as a result of Sakurai being good buddies with Kojima. I'm not sure who it might be specifically, but he might just do either Namco or another friend some sort of favor.

3. They're decent, if only because the competition is getting thinner, but I do think that Sakurai will count it as a bit of a negative. Not only will it make it harder for him to communicate with the company that owns said character (at least in most cases), but it's often the case that western third party characters just don't take off in Japan, so maybe Sakurai himself doesn't see a lot of the western third party candidates as being iconic enough. I think it's just as likely that we might get a third party character who's much more popular in Japan than in the west, like Slime.

4. In general I think we'll see fewer newcomers than in Smash 4, so I wouldn't bet on it, but there's always the chance of course. I think max two new third parties will appear in the base game, then more will obviously get in as DLC.

EDIT: Thought you meant newcomers, I think we'll see more than 3 third parties in the base game for certain.

5. I don't think any of them are that likely to be cut, but if any then it'd probably be Cloud given how stingy Square Enix are. Bayonetta is practically a Nintendo character now, Ryu is easy to get the rights to given Capcom's experience with crossovers, and Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man are just too iconic.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

1. Not necessarily

2. Yes actually. The best newcomers are ones no one saw coming in my opinion. WII FIT TRAINER?! THATS AMAZING! -Me 2015

3. I genuinely don't know whats western and whats not. It depends on how familiar Sakurai or his devs knew about the potential newcomer. They have to design a moveset so it takes some decent knowledge.

4. I'm almost willing to bet money on it.

5. If anyone is at risk I'd say Cloud. Every other character *fits.* Cloud sticks out like sore thumb for me. I don't think Snake is ever coming back sadly.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

1. I’d say a mix of that and how iconic they are. There’s not really any big name mega icons left (Sonic, Pac-Man, and even Mega Man to an extent), so now it’s just big names in the gaming community (Ryu, Cloud).
Some that come to mind are Rayman, Banjo, and Crash. None of them are THAT influential to gaming as a whole, so it’s really up to popularity, and honestly I’m not sure if we’re getting a new third party at all. If we don’t see one at E3 I’m going to say we’re not getting one.

2. Where demand is not a factor? No way. Where demand is less of a factor? Maybe. The big one I see for this is Rayman. Rayman doesn’t have a HUGE support-base like Mega Man did, but Ubisoft and Nintendo are so close now that I could see it happening.
Although a Snake-Kojima thing could happen, with a buddy of Sakurai begging for his character to be put in the game, but we have no clue.

3. If we get a new third party at all, likely. The bigger and more popular names in recent conversation have been western IPs. Rayman, Banjo, Crash. I don’t think Crash will be in the base game, because N-Sane Trilogy was slated to be a PS4 exclusive at the time of Smash 5’s development, but may be DLC. Rayman is one of the most likely due to Ubisoft’s ties with Nintendo. Banjo actually has a chance because Phil Spencer would like to see him in and he’s pretty popular. Honestly, if Banjo was owned by Capcom or some other company that isn’t a direct competitor to Nintendo, I think more people would be vocal about wanting him. I feel like a lot of people would love him but just don’t say anything because it seems so unlikely. The same thing happened to Crash where he seemed really unlikely, and now his popularity blew up since he’s coming to Switch.

4. No. Not in the base game at least. Might be a coincidence, but I think Sakurai does like the rule of two per base game. I’m seeing two in the base game, and at least one more (Crash) in DLC, due to his popularity booming in March, when the roster was already probably long decided.

5. Cloud is really the only ones. Sakurai has said he sees Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as icons of gaming that deserve to be in Smash. It seems he thinks the same of Ryu, who’s game is incredibly influential to the fighting game genre Smash is a part of. Bayonetta was not only voted in by fans (meaning it’d be a middle finger to cut her next game), but is only a non-Nintendo character in legal terms. Cloud on the other hand is a character mostly associated with Sony, and is owned by a company that can be kind of stingy with their copyright policies. If Square-Enix puts up a big fine to have him in Smash 5, I don’t see Sakurai putting up too much of a fight.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Pretty sure that Crash Bandicoot is not the most popular third party video game character/franchise in Japan.
I mean specifically out of the western-originating 3rd Parties. The question I was answering was about Western 3rd Parties specifically.

EDIT: Though I forgot that Rayman is Western. So I should of really said Rayman's most likely. Though Crash is the most likely Western 3rd Party to be DLC at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom