• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The advantage is, at least, the speculations will last only about a year. I'll focus on the silhouettes for now.
Also what could happen dis year :

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I really hope a full Sub Space-like adventure mode is present. That was awesome.
With the dev time Sakurai and his team had I doubt it.

Although it would be really cool if there was a Melee styled Adventure mode in the game.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Personally I think this Smash's new "retro" character could be Stanley from Donkey Kong 3, considering so far there's no retro fighter that represents Nintendo's arcade lineup.

I think it'll be a port, but it'll have so much additional new content, upgrades, and updates for all intents and purposes it's a sequel at least it'll feel more so like one then the yearly released Call of Duty "sequels".

It's possible that this could be the best sequel to a smash game since Melee.

Melee had no cuts, hopefully this one doesn't either.

I'm hoping for a "Ultra Definitive Edition" lol.
I hope it's like a commemorative edition that brings back every vet.
You hit my nail right on the head there with my idea of a "Smash 4.5/4.8" I previously proposed. Kudos to you, friend.

Morbi

Scavenger
Personally, if this is a full game, I don't think any of the clone trio is gonna be cut.

I cannot feasibly see them say "Oh hey, let's make these alts into clones in Smash 4 but not Smash 5."
I love the characters. I just wish they were either not clones, or if they were good clones, I would look the other way. Fox and Falco? Great clones. Hardly even clones, realistically. If they reworked Lucina and Dark Pit, that would be great. They honestly deserve to be in the game, but with how little the differences were in Smash 4, I do not even want them and I love clones. They could have just been alternate skins.

Doctor Mario would be cool if they reworked Mario into an Odyssey moveset. That would never happen, however.

TBob408

Smash Rookie
Like Andre from GameXplain said, trying to figure out exactly who everyone is from the silhouettes is basically like looking at an inkblot test and making out what you want to see. Still, I couldn't help but to try and decide who is who so this is my take.

It's explained from these tweets I made not too long ago.
https://twitter.com/KioshiYa/status/972147587414462464

Again, my take. I could very well be wrong. It's a nice rorschach test though. :p
This is very good. I don't see mewtwo or wario, but everything else seems very accurate.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm calling it now. We're going to have a Rabbid as a character. Their different colors will be different costumes (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, etc)

Sadly, I think we would get a Rabbid before we'd get Rayman.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm calling it now. We're going to have a Rabbid as a character. Their different colors will be different costumes (Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, etc)

The worst, or best, part about it is that I could genuinely see that being the case with the Rabbid's Kingdom nonsense that happened. You could easily just dress them up as Nintendo characters beyond Mario and I would be lying if I told you that I did not want to play that Sassy Peach Rabbid. Beyond that, they are throwing Donkey Kong into that game as well. So, I guess they are no strangers to crossing over. Still better than Miis.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Rabbid Mario is my most-wanted newcomer for Smash 5, so I wouldn't complain.
I'd rather have both him and Rayman on the roster though.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
this is selfish as h*ck but I really hope they replace Corrin with a different chsracter, like Hector, Tiki, CELICA (!!) or even Azura if they want a Fates rep. I want to see more weapon diversity in the FE cast, but Marth and Ike are too important to cut (imo)

wouldnt mind seeing Lucina and Roy cut as well to avoid the complaints about “too much FE”

again this is my selfish rant bc Corrin is my least favorite Lord and I think a lance/axe fighter would be dope

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Welp, looks like you're the leaker.
Now just tell us that a Tetris block will be playable and the rest will simply follow.

Also after watching the silhouettes, I'm only 100% certain for Link, Mario and Bowser. The rest, I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
given how they gave it an ambiguous cg trailer with no actual info I doubt it'll be a port since they would probably have made it clearer in order to avoid annoying people who would be fooled from the trailer its an entirely new game. But companies have done stupider things in the past I guess

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Has anyone discussed the idea of a Nintendo Classic character being included?
Since Melee, we've had one "retro" character always included.

Melee = Ice climber
Brawl = Pit (and ROB?)
Smash 4 = Duck Hunt

Smash 5 = (Balloon Fighter? idk lol)
The general consensus points to Takamaru. He has almost been in every Smash title since Melee. His only holdup was that he is not well known in the West. However, that has since changed, at least within the Smash fandom itself. I see either him or Balloon Fighter as the most likely candidates.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Personally I think this Smash's new "retro" character could be Stanley from Donkey Kong 3, considering so far there's no retro fighter that represents Nintendo's arcade lineup.
That would probably go to Pauline. Being one of Nintendo's first characters and the original damsel of video games. Plus she was really popular in Odyssey.

But, if there was a character that was purely an arcade character, Sheriff would probably be a more interesting option than Stanley. And he's Nintendo's first video game character ever.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

We have several characters who debuted in arcade games.

:4duckhunt: Kôsenjû Duck Hunt (1976) (the dog debuted in the 1984 NES game but the ducks and the hunter debuted in this game)
:4pacman: Pac-Man (1980)
:4mario::4dk: Donkey Kong (1981)
:4luigi: Mario Bros. (1983)
:4littlemac: Punch-Out!! (1984)
:4ryu: Street Fighter (1987)

But I guess you meant a retro character who is exclusive to arcades and not consoles?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You know what's crazy:

There's gonna be more hypeover returning vets than newcomers.

Trust me on that

Morbi

Scavenger
this is selfish as h*ck but I really hope they replace Corrin with a different chsracter, like Hector, Tiki, CELICA (!!) or even Azura if they want a Fates rep. I want to see more weapon diversity in the FE cast, but Marth and Ike are too important to cut (imo)

wouldnt mind seeing Lucina and Roy cut as well to avoid the complaints about “too much FE”

again this is my selfish rant bc Corrin is my least favorite Lord and I think a lance/axe fighter would be dope
If they do, which I believe they will, it will probably be a FE Switch protagonist. I doubt they are going to move backwards with Fire Emblem. You never know though, they might remake a popular title and revive the character or something to that extent.

I feel as though Awakening symbolizes the rebirth of Fire Emblem and Lucina is more or less at the forefront of that. They might just add Chrom and use Lucina as a costume for him, or just rework Lucina and use Chrom as a costume. At least that is my hope. She is probably my favorite VG female character and arguably more important than Ike, even. Having her as a glorified Marth was a bit offensive to be honest.

I digress, the fact that Corrin was DLC makes your desire all the more likely, I believe.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, god. Here come the bad ones.

given how they gave it an ambiguous cg trailer with no actual info I doubt it'll be a port since they would probably have made it clearer in order to avoid annoying people who would be fooled from the trailer its an entirely new game. But companies have done stupider things in the past I guess
I think we've confirmed to death that this is a new game. Why are people STILL discussing this?

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Welp, looks like you're the leaker.
Now just tell us that a Tetris block will be playable and the rest will simply follow.

Also after watching the silhouettes, I'm only 100% certain for Link, Mario and Bowser. The rest, I can't say for sure.
I'm not saying I have "inside information", but let's just say "I heard" that they're going to be a new character. *Wink wink* and I PREDICT (You guys remember the annoying "My prediction" leaker??) that there will be a new adventure mode that incorporates Tetris Blocks.... but that's all I've heard from my "friend."

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Here are my predictions for the new game (it WILL be a new game):

Cut characters: Lucina, Robin, Roy, and possibly Corrin because the Fire Emblem series has gotten so much bigger since their release (we'll still have 7+ FE characters though). Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, and Palutena, Mii Fighters, and potentially Rosaluma because they just aren't relevant anymore, and Cloud / Bayo / Ryu will not return because they're 3rd party DLC. Finally, at least two Pokemon will be cut and/or replaced with more current ones, most likely Lucario, Greninja or both.

Moveset changes: Mario's moveset will be revamped to reflect his appearance in Odyssey, Link's replaced to reflect BotW, Luigi's to reflect the Luigi's mansion series, Ganondorf's to reflect Hyrule Warriors, Zelda's to reflect either BotW or Hyrule Warriors, and Samus's to reflect either Prime 4 or Samus Returns. Wario, Bowser, Bowser Jr., and possibly Sonic will also have revamped movesets.

I'm not too keen on predicting new characters since we know their choices can be so random, but I'm counting on a new Kirby Character and Rex/Pyra sound possible.

If Lucario and Greninja get cut, then Pokemon's representation would be four Gen I Pokemon(Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo) and one or two Pokemon from Gen VII. This kinda defeats your argument since we would have four Pokemon from the oldest Generation and maybe a couple from the newest generation.

It honestly would make more sense to cut two Generation I Pokemon in favor of a more balanced representation for the overall series. But nobody will support that idea. But at the same time, it's not fair to cut Lucario or Greninja for being from an older Pokemon generation while keeping four Gen I Pokemon in the roster.

Besides, Pokemon has six reps in Smash 4. Mario has 7 reps(more if we count the Spin-offs and franchises with ties to Mario games) and Fire Emblem, a less popular franchise has 6 reps.

My point is, Pokemon can safely add another character or two without having to cut anyone.

There is also a major issue with your argument. Its kinda hard to argue any Pokemon is no longer relevant given all the games since Gen IV have allowed you to bring older Pokemon into the newer games. Combine that with the fact that many of the older Pokemon like Charizard, Mewtwo, and Lucario all come back in the newer games as bonus critters, and you simply can't use the relevance argument against any Pokemon.

If they are in the newer Pokemon games, they are relevant.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Because it's been the most popular Smash game since it released 15 years ago.

People will still bust out the CRT's in 2018 if Smash5 doesn't let us move/express ourselves like Melee.
Even if Sma5h is more like Melee, Melee will never die.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
That would probably go to Pauline. Being one of Nintendo's first characters and the original damsel of video games. Plus she was really popular in Odyssey..
I thought about Pauline being included, but I have no idea what they would do for her moveset. In every apperance she’s made, she always... just kinda stands there.

maybe they could make her hat from Odyssey possessed by a hat ghost?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I think we've confirmed to death that this is a new game. Why are people STILL discussing this?
A lot of people would rather be safe than sorry. If they more or less come to realize that this is a new game and it just so happens Nintendo had different plans and announces a port, well, their disappointment would be unparalleled. As to why they try and convince other people? I have no idea.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

There is literally nothing that confirms this.

Arguments that point towards it, sure, but nothing more.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Lucario and Greninja get cut, then Pokemon's representation would be four Gen I Pokemon(Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo) and one or two Pokemon from Gen VII. This kinda defeats your argument since we would have four Pokemon from the oldest Generation and maybe a couple from the newest generation.

It honestly would make more sense to cut two Generation I Pokemon in favor of a more balanced representation for the overall series. But nobody will support that idea. But at the same time, it's not fair to cut Lucario or Greninja for being from an older Pokemon generation while keeping four Gen I Pokemon in the roster.

Besides, Pokemon has six reps in Smash 4. Mario has 7 reps(more if we count the Spin-offs and franchises with ties to Mario games) and Fire Emblem, a less popular franchise has 6 reps.

My point is, Pokemon can safely add another character or two without having to cut anyone.

There is also a major issue with your argument. Its kinda hard to argue any Pokemon is no longer relevant given all the games since Gen IV have allowed you to bring older Pokemon into the newer games. Combine that with the fact that many of the older Pokemon like Charizard, Mewtwo, and Lucario all come back in the newer games as bonus critters, and you simply can't use the relevance argument against any Pokemon.

If they are in the newer Pokemon games, they are relevant.
There really isn't a reason to cut any Pokémon character this time. All six are completely unique, and none are part of a transformation character.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
>Thinking Nintendo would do something this stupid with one of their biggest IPs

Morbi

Scavenger
There really isn't a reason to cut any Pokémon character this time. All six are completely unique, and none are part of a transformation character.
I will probably get some hate; however, Greninja is honestly about as close to Sheik as you can get without literally making him a clone. I know Ash Greninja exists and all of that jazz, but seriously, if he were removed, nothing of value (in terms of game-play) would be lost. My cousin is a Greninja main, I am not racist, promise.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I will probably get some hate; however, Greninja is honestly about as close to Sheik as you can get without literally making him a clone. I know Ash Greninja exists and all of that jazz, but seriously, if he were removed, nothing of value (in terms of game-play) would be lost. My cousin is a Greninja main, I am not racist, promise.
Greninja might not bring as much as the other Smash 4 newcomers, but there doesn't seem to be any good reasons for him to be cut altogether. He's pretty harmless.

Besides, he's one of the only two non-Gen 1 Pokémon we've got right now. I REALLY want to keep what little representation we have from other Gens.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't know about that. Making amiibo Festival wasn't one of their greatest ideas for AC.
That was disappointing. Waste of plastic.

Nintendo needs to make a new main Animal Crossing game for the Switch and make the existing amiibos useful for that game. I don't like that those amiibos are only good for amiibo Festival, Super Mario Maker, and I guess Happy Home Designer.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I may be missing something here, but how is this not confirmed to be a new game? iI's copyright 2018, not 2014-2018, the website says title pending and original game, the title card is very different, and link has been updated. On top of this Namco isn't credited, which I believe they would have to be if it was a port.
I'd like to think Nintendo knows how hype can be both great and detrimental, they would've told us outright if it was a deluxe edition.

Last edited:

Anderceus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anderceus
3DS FC
0877-0236-8016
I just realized how much I'm gonna miss not having Sakurai's daily Miiverse posts for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom