• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I would rather the rebuilding part be passive.
Either one is fine. It’ll reap the same effect. I feel the passive one is more broken because it guarantees the disguise will be fixed again.

With a move, as long as you stay on top of Mimikyu, he’ll never have a chance to repair, and it’ll only come back after he has been KO’d

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
What makes you think this game is in November?
Sure I can't prove it, but it's an educated guess based on having a long enough pre-release period and Smash Wii U being released the same month of its year.

Also I expected Smash Switch to be revealed at E3 and released early 2019, even though both reveal and release are finally happening sooner than I expected, so it might influence my new expected timeline taking those new confirmed infos into account.

Last edited:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
100% Accurate Non-Inkling Newcomer Tier List:

All But Guaranteed Tier:
Decidueye
New Fire Emblem Character (or 8 or 25 or 79)
NES ****ery Character
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Character

Probably In Tier:
Isabelle
Viridi (RIP Hades. Sorry your Japanese characterization is an old Yakuza man and that the Japanese love their tsundere lolis.)

Literally Never Ever Tier:
Ridley
K. Rool
All of the other interesting characters from Nintendo history that fall under the Auto-Ban categories which are as follows:
1. Not in a new game/usable as promotion
2. Not from the NES era
3. Not one of Sakurai’s personal obsessions
4. Not created by a Japanese company

Prove me wrong.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What makes you think this game is in November?
Black Friday and the start of the major shopping season.

Personally, I think it will be announced for mid-to-late November, but delayed until about February 2019. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see the game making a 2018 release date.

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this question was made before, but is it possible that Smash Switch will have no unlockable characters this time around?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Black Friday and the start of the major shopping season.

Personally, I think it will be announced for mid-to-late November, but delayed until about February 2019. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see the game making a 2018 release date.
We have no idea how long this game has been in development. Releasing Smash later would lose Smash fans' loyalty. I believe that since they say 2018 then they can make 2018. We don't know enough about the game.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think it'll be a port, but it'll have so much additional new content, upgrades, and updates for all intents and purposes it's a sequel at least it'll feel more so like one then the yearly released Call of Duty "sequels".

It's possible that this could be the best sequel to a smash game since Melee.

Melee had no cuts, hopefully this one doesn't either.

I'm hoping for a "Ultra Definitive Edition" lol.
I hope it's like a commemorative edition that brings back every vet.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I think it'll be a port, but it'll have so much additional new content, upgrades, and updates for all intents and purposes it's a sequel at least it'll feel more so like one then the yearly released Call of Duty "sequels".

It's possible that this could be the best sequel to a smash game since Melee.

Melee had no cuts, hopefully this one doesn't either.

I'm hoping for a "Ultra Definitive Edition" lol.
I hope it's like a commemorative edition that brings back every vet.
Super Smash Bros. IIIII hype!

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Not that I think either will show up;
But just imagine Snake interacting with Labo.
It makes me chuckle uncontrollably.

Melvin

Smash Rookie
Here are my predictions for the new game (it WILL be a new game):

Cut characters: Lucina, Robin, Roy, and possibly Corrin because the Fire Emblem series has gotten so much bigger since their release (we'll still have 7+ FE characters though). Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, and Palutena, Mii Fighters, and potentially Rosaluma because they just aren't relevant anymore, and Cloud / Bayo / Ryu will not return because they're 3rd party DLC. Finally, at least two Pokemon will be cut and/or replaced with more current ones, most likely Lucario, Greninja or both.

Moveset changes: Mario's moveset will be revamped to reflect his appearance in Odyssey, Link's replaced to reflect BotW, Luigi's to reflect the Luigi's mansion series, Ganondorf's to reflect Hyrule Warriors, Zelda's to reflect either BotW or Hyrule Warriors, and Samus's to reflect either Prime 4 or Samus Returns. Wario, Bowser, Bowser Jr., and possibly Sonic will also have revamped movesets.

I'm not too keen on predicting new characters since we know their choices can be so random, but I'm counting on a new Kirby Character and Rex/Pyra sound possible.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Literally all Nintendo has to do to make me want to buy their new console is tease some Smash...

Not sure I will give in this time with how little I play my Wii U now (not to mention how broke I am lmao) but damn, this trailer has me so hyped even without a Switch yet. For the past few hours I've just been reading these posts and watching trailer reaction videos. What has my life become honestly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do you think Smash tour will stay?
With the reception it got? I really hope not.

Smash Switch should have Smash Run with multiple characters in it at the same time.
Considering the game is releasing the same year as it is announced, I think it might be worth discussing the possible timeline of major reveals, which is going to be shorter and thus probably very different compared to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

Personally I'm expecting this teaser to be all we're getting prior to E3, which will be the time when we're going to get a legit trailer with more details and actual gameplay footage. Afterwars reveals are going to be more and more concentrated over time, similar to the previous Smash pre-release era. Here's what I think is a reasonably expectable reveal timeline:
(for the sake of this post "new character" means character not in Smash 3DS/Wii U, both newcomers and cut characters from previous entries)

- June: two or three new characters including Inkling (and actual gameplay footage of them);
- July: nothing;
- August: nothing again;
- September: new character revealed in a general Direct;
- October: new isolated character trailer (like Robin);
- November: one or two new character trailers in a Smash Direct before the game's release the same month;
- plus two or three new hidden unrevealed and unlockable characters.

So I'm expecting between 7 and 10 new characters in the base game, a number that may vary according to how much this game is based on the Wii U version or derivates from it. This is to be compared to Smash 3DS/Wii U which had 15, or 12 if you don't count the clone trio. Or maybe I'm underestimating how concentrated new character reveals will be over time prior to the game's release.
Come E3 I think we'll see the gameplay footage for the Inklings as well as two new characters revealed.

I also think they'll be one or two reveals in July and August to maintain the hype throughout the Summer.

In between October/November we'll probably see a character or two revealed. If there's a Direct in September we'll probably see a reveal or maybe even two there (think back to April 2015).

And then come October or November for the final Smash Direct we'll see gameplay footage of the previously revealed characters as well as two more.

The rest would go unrevealed until after the game launches like Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team

Cut characters: Lucina, Robin, Roy, and possibly Corrin because the Fire Emblem series has gotten so much bigger since their release (we'll still have 7+ FE characters though). Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, and Palutena, Mii Fighters, and potentially Rosaluma because they just aren't relevant anymore, and Cloud / Bayo / Ryu will not return because they're 3rd party DLC. Finally, at least two Pokemon will be cut and/or replaced with more current ones, most likely Lucario, Greninja or both.

Moveset changes: Mario's moveset will be revamped to reflect his appearance in Odyssey, Link's replaced to reflect BotW, Luigi's to reflect the Luigi's mansion series, Ganondorf's to reflect Hyrule Warriors, Zelda's to reflect either BotW or Hyrule Warriors, and Samus's to reflect either Prime 4 or Samus Returns. Wario, Bowser, Bowser Jr., and possibly Sonic will also have revamped movesets.

I'm not too keen on predicting new characters since we know their choices can be so random, but I'm counting on a new Kirby Character and Rex/Pyra sound possible.
:4robinm:has a unique moveset. They represent the series' revival.
:4feroy: is a fan favorite.
:4wiifit: is a joke character. They've kept joke characters. She isn't getting cut.
:4palutena: is Sakurai's waifu. As much as I despise her, she ain't going nowhere.
:4mii:s represent the player and are the Multi Man. Chances are they might stay.
:rosalina:isn't relevant? What? I'm so absolutely dumbfounded on how you think she isn't relevant.
:4bayonetta: Bayo 3 + Bayo ports mean she's relevant and will stay.
Your moveset revamps are too baseless. Zelda series will probably be changed visually.
Stop expecting moveset revamps. It's only happened once with Bowser. Why would they change Bowser again?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
100% Accurate Non-Inkling Newcomer Tier List:

All But Guaranteed Tier:
Decidueye
New Fire Emblem Character (or 8 or 25 or 79)
NES ****ery Character
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Character

Probably In Tier:
Isabelle
Viridi (RIP Hades. Sorry your Japanese characterization is an old Yakuza man and that the Japanese love their tsundere lolis.)

Literally Never Ever Tier:
Ridley
K. Rool
All of the other interesting characters from Nintendo history that fall under the Auto-Ban categories which are as follows:
1. Not in a new game/usable as promotion
2. Not from the NES era
3. Not one of Sakurai’s personal obsessions
4. Not created by a Japanese company

Prove me wrong.
Sounds about right!

Also, nice to see another old familiar face!

Staarih

Smash Master
Would they not want to time the release of Smash close to the Switch Online which supposedly comes in September? Not necessarily simultaneous but October/November works for Smash (well, there's only December left after that lol) - would work as a holiday title as well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tbh after seeing SNK Heroines, I sort of hope Smash Bros can have a spinning off, called... Super Smash Sisters, I mean this name was originated from Palutena back in Kid Icarus Uprising.
Ahh... yes, Super Bash Sisters.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

You have quite a lot of cuts with no real basis. I can see Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario getting the chop because of their clone status, however, Dr. Mario may be spared if they decide to revamp Mario’s moveset. They may keep Dr. Mario in for people who prefer the old Mario play style. That’s only an If though.

Robin and Corrin probably aren’t going anywhere because they are unique. Robin with magic, and Corrin with her transformations. Robin comes from the Fire Emblem title that breathed new life into the series in the West, and Corrin, though Fates had backlash, still represents a part of Fire Emblem that hadn’t been in Smash before with the dragon transformation.

Roy may get the chop, but as popular as he is amongst Fire Emblem and Smash fans, I wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed.

Wii Fit Trainer represents the Wii Era of Nintendo, and was a popular game during that time. She is also unique. Rosalina is popular both in the Mario franchise and Smash franchise, and she is unique. Palutena was added because Sakurai revamped the Kid Icarus series. She’s an important character to the franchise, and again, she’s unique.

Mii Fighters could go, but the costume were a cash cow for Nintendo. At the end of the day, Nintendo is a company, and companies like to make money.

Bayonetta’s 2nd and 3rd games are Nintendo exclusive and she was the Ballot Winner. She’s safe.

Ryu and Cloud may get the chop. However, Ryu and Cloud were both well received. Ryu is from Sakurai’s favorite fighting game, and is Mr. Fighting Game, and Square has vowed to support Nintendo Switch. Cloud may have a place in Smash again. We’ll have to wait and see on these two.

I just think some of the cuts you’ve decided on come from a place a bias against certain characters, rather than logical thinking and observation of facts and patterns.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
The new title will be:
Super Smash Bros. Fight Fight Fight for the Nintendo Switch Hybrid Console: Take it anywhere or play at home! + Amiibo (SSBFFFNSHCTAPH+A for short.)

Jokes aside, I think, considering the minimalistic design of the current logo, a simple title would be right on the mark.

As far as the reveal schedule goes, I agree we'll be getting something great at E3, not sure about before then. With the current E3 floor plans, perhaps we'll see the first Smash Switch tourney or some such? Very interested to see how features are revealed past that point, however. I'm really hoping that some kind of development blog makes a return to give us a steady stream of information and things to laugh at. Having held off this long on telling us anything, I'm sure there's a lot of room for discussion while still hanging on to some surprises by the time the game is released. :)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
This picture gives me a headache because IGN has professional equipment and cannot ****ing figure out that Shulk is Fox.
Honestly, silhouettes are hard to read. I have seen so many different opinions about the less obvious ones. It makes sense that Fox would be there and virtually no sense that Shulk would be, but still, if that is what they see, whatever.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Personally, if this is a full game, I don't think any of the clone trio is gonna be cut.

I cannot feasibly see them say "Oh hey, let's make these alts into clones in Smash 4 but not Smash 5."

Lumina

Smash Rookie
Has anyone discussed the idea of a Nintendo Classic character being included?
Since Melee, we've had one "retro" character always included.

Melee = Ice climber
Brawl = Pit (and ROB?)
Smash 4 = Duck Hunt

Smash 5 = (Balloon Fighter? idk lol)

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm suprised you guys have not brought up how the entrance for the Smash title was nearly identical to the Melee opening (specifically the text entrance for Smash 6, and the text entrance at the end of the Melee opening). I'll link the Melee opening for reference. To me this makes me wonder if Smash 6 wil be competitively focused or have something for Melee fans like the return of wave-dashing or Shine-sparks. I'm also curious if the dialogue between Hungrybox and Reggie along with the press (of Hungrybox's callout to Nintendo at a tournament) played a role in this.

You can't do this: igniting this hope that was crushed so many times before. Especially because we are not even sure whether this is an overhyped port or an underhyped new instalment.

PS: Melee didn't have shinesparks, lol. Though super wavedashes come close I guess.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I hoped it would be Super Smash Bros. Clash previously, I'm hoping for that title again.

That said, I actually kinda like the sound of it just being "Super Smash Bros. Switch". I don't know. I just think it has a nice ring to it. :p

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Hey guys, I'm new here (to this thread; I am a lurker and active member for the Smash 4 4BR CCI threads). I thought this thread was crazy for wishful thinking of a new smash game that I expected to come at a later date. I read all the pages from when the announcement started (as I was reading the pages, I had the smash trailers playing in the background).

-

My input on the age discussion is that I was 2 when 64 came out. It was the 2nd videogame I played along with Super Mario 64 being the first. I could go on more about where I was during each release of Smash, but I'll cover Smash 4 and a little bit of 64 and Melee.

I was in my senior year of highschool when it released and I helped run a game club during school that saw over 30 kids packed in a small computer lab to play Smash 4 during school hours; we did so much 8-player smash. Unfortunately it got shut down at the end of the year because some adults did not enjoy us having fun. For the record, I'm 20 now and a proud Ness main since 64 (switched to Lucas in Brawl due to Ness nerfs and fully made the switch to Lucas in Smash 4).

For 64, I recall in elementary telling my teacher that Ness was a word, yet she kept correcting me and wore a confused look on her face. I still remember saying "Nooooooo" very slowly as if she was unsure. For Melee, the first thing I did was pop in the disk, move my cursor to Ness, select his yellow alt, and marvel at his CSS portait for a LONG time.

-

I'm suprised you guys have not brought up how the entrance for the Smash title was nearly identical to the Melee opening (specifically the text entrance for Smash 6, and the text entrance at the end of the Melee opening). I'll link the Melee opening for reference. To me this makes me wonder if Smash 6 wil be competitively focused or have something for Melee fans like the return of wave-dashing or Shine-sparks. I'm also curious if the dialogue between Hungrybox and Reggie along with the press (of Hungrybox's callout to Nintendo at a tournament) played a role in this.

-

The Nintendo Versus Twitter is now updated with 100% Smash 6 so I guess it is to safe that we are legitimately E-Sports now.

I just checked again now as I'm typing (the tweet is a few hours old), and they updated it with other games.

Here is another bit of info I found that has not been discussed yet.

No Smash game will ever be as close as Melee. The sooner people get that through their heads, the better off the community will be.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Has anyone discussed the idea of a Nintendo Classic character being included?
Since Melee, we've had one "retro" character always included.

Melee = Ice climber
Brawl = Pit (and ROB?)
Smash 4 = Duck Hunt

Smash 5 = (Balloon Fighter? idk lol)
Part of me really wants to hope that the next retro character in Smash Bros can be Andy from Advance Wars.

I mean yes he is my most wanted character and all but he comes from a series that dates all the way back to 1988. Nintendo Wars is a vintage as you can get when it comes to old Nintendo franchises and it's one with massive presence on most Nintendo consoles so maybe just maybe Nintendo/IS will throw us a bone and have him in the game.

Wishful thinking, you don't need to tell me that.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Like Andre from GameXplain said, trying to figure out exactly who everyone is from the silhouettes is basically like looking at an inkblot test and making out what you want to see. Still, I couldn't help but to try and decide who is who so this is my take.

It's explained from these tweets I made not too long ago.
https://twitter.com/KioshiYa/status/972147587414462464

Again, my take. I could very well be wrong. It's a nice rorschach test though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom