• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
GAME: Come up with a potential mechanic for a new character.

You can just list the mechanic, and not necessarily the character.
We will see if any of these ideas appear in the next Smash.
A Mokujin type character that, each time the fight starts, copies the Special Moves of a random character, and it is made by combining all Nintendo Console into a sort of robot. The fact that he can "run" the games were the character originated is the explanation of why he can copy their moves.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Possible Mechanics:
• Rotating through a set of specials with Down B
• Team up character that moves on the Z-axis and can hit characters dodging or side-stepping
• Character that sets-up an obstacle course with specials to enhance movement (ramps/ speed rings/ conveyer belts/ ect.)
• Character that has modes (Wario's Bike/ Koopa Klown car) for all specials
• Character that gets a boost in stats if hit with a move that does over a certain percentage (25% or so)
• Character that can charge each aerial

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Huge Announcement!

The Speculation Forum has gone under some rule changes; You view it here.

Key thing is that we no longer have a rule they need a Nintendo appearance, and some special exceptions for Nintendo-owned characters(they can get a thread as long as they have a legitimate Nintendo appearance).

In addition, the Support Directory will be updated as soon as possible to reflect these changes, splitting off Nintendo and Non-Nintendo threads.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, any threads like Goku(from Dragon Ball) aren't allowed anyway. If somebody creates a thread that breaks the forum rules, report it. Let us handle it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
GAME: Come up with a potential mechanic for a new character.

You can just list the mechanic, and not necessarily the character.
We will see if any of these ideas appear in the next Smash.
A completely air-dependent fighter (reverse Little Mac)

But anyway, do you think Yoshi's ledge-grab from Oddessy could make it into Smash 5?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, to be clear, they need to have originated in a video game (unless owned by Nintendo), but do not necessarily need to have had their game release on Nintendo consoles before?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A completely air-dependent fighter (reverse Little Mac)

But anyway, do you think Yoshi's ledge-grab from Oddessy could make it into Smash 5?
I was surprised Yoshi did not get a ledge grab in Brawl or Smash. Sticky tongue and all.

Possible. I certainly would allow him to have a ledge grab. Developers might have thought that Yoshi should not have that tool for balance reasons.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, to be clear, they need to have originated in a video game (unless owned by Nintendo), but do not necessarily need to have had their game release on Nintendo consoles before?
That is correct.

Say, Master Chief. He originated in a video game. He's eligible for a thread. Now take a character from a Nintendo comic(that they would own, say... Nester). If he's had at least one video game appearance, he's also eligible for a thread. Not sure if Nester is a perfect example, but you get the actual idea of what I mean.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That is correct.

Say, Master Chief. He originated in a video game. He's eligible for a thread. Now take a character from a Nintendo comic(that they would own, say... Nester). If he's had at least one video game appearance, he's also eligible for a thread. Not sure if Nester is a perfect example, but you get the actual idea of what I mean.
I think that Nester's a great example, actually. He has appeared in NES Play Action Football, To the Earth, and Nester's Funky Bowling, and he's referenced in StarTropics and Pilotwings 64.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
New mechanic idea: a reverse Lucario that starts out really strong and gets weaker as they take more damage.
Honestly I think it'd be better if we combine Lucario's Aura mechanic with Pichu's self-damaging attacks.

A character that can hit heavy and KO opponents really early, but he also takes damage from his own attacks as well. Could make for an interesting high-risk high-reward playstyle.

Question is who could fit that playstyle?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Honestly I think it'd be better if we combine Lucario's Aura mechanic with Pichu's self-damaging attacks.

A character that can hit heavy and KO opponents really early, but he also takes damage from his own attacks as well. Could make for an interesting high-risk high-reward playstyle.

Charizard, if you made all of his attacks his side+b. :p

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Funny enough, a character that I'd love to see, despite her odds being virtually nonexistent because of a new game on the horizon.

Celica. To illustrate, here's a moveset I made for her. Also obligatory "please post in the Celica thread because it barely gets any posts and I don't want to double post." :p

Normal Attacks

Jab: Using the Beloved Zofia, Celica performs a three hit combo attack. The first strike comes downward from overhead, the second comes from the side in a sweeping motion, and the third has Celica twirling a bit, swinging the blade from behind in an upward motion. This is based on her in-dungeon combo from Shadows of Valentia. Specifically, it comes directly from her second, third, and fourth strike.

Dash Attack: The small wisp of fire following Celica creates a wall of flames in front of her as she charges forward. Unlike her other magical attacks, no recoil is done here. This is taken directly from her dash attack in Shadows of Valentia.

Up Tilt: Celica points the Beloved Zofia skyward as the glowing flame beside her becomes three fire balls, which twirl around the tip of her sword. A multi hit move.

Side Tilt: Celica thrusts the Beloved Zofia forward, moving slightly in the direction she's facing while doing so. This move comes from the first and fifth strike of her in-dungeon combo in Shadows of Valentia.

Down Tilt: Celica, while crouched, moves her hand outward, launching a small, thunderous spark toward the ground. Due to the stun effect, this move can combo into itself twice before knockback forces foes away.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Celica, using the Beloved Zofia like a sort of baton, casts Excalibur above her, creating a slow-rising razor wind. It travels higher up and does more damage the longer it is charged. The move has a trapping effect due to it being a rapid multi-hit move.

Side Smash: Celica leaps up and smashes the Beloved Zofia downward onto opponents. This is based on her critical hit animation in both Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. However, this move does far less knockback than the rest of her smash attacks, due to not being magically backed.

Down Smash: Celica performs her casting animation and casts Thunder, hitting both sides of the ground beside her with bolts of lightning.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Celica's fire ball splits into a small stream of fire. Celica moves the Beloved Zofia in a circular motion and the stream of flames circles around her twice, clockwise.

Forward Air: Celica, using a variation of Seraphim, quickly grows angelic wings and uses them to slam foes both forward and downward. This move is based on one of Celica's attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Back Air: Celica quickly makes a backhanded strike with the Beloved Zofia. Here, the tip of the blade is blessed with the Thunder spell, creating a small orb of electricity at the end. Hitting with the spark does much more damage.

Up Air: Celica uses another variant of Excalibur and sending a small gust of wind upward. Knockback-wise and potency-wise, it is somewhere between Mega Man's and Mr. Game and Watch's wind-based up airs.

Down Air: Celica slices beneath her in a back and forth motion with the Beloved Zofia. A two-hit attack.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: Celica has a fairly standard grab, and pummels by imbuing her hands with fire to burn the opponent. The pummel does not, however, cause recoil damage, despite being magic based. This holds true for Celica's throws as well.

Forward Throw: Celica releases the foe as three columns of fire erupt in front of her, beneath the foe, carrying them away before causing severe knockback.

Back Throw: Celica tosses the foe back and releases a blast of light magic from her hands, sending them flying.

Up Throw: Celica waves her arms over her after bringing her foe upward, shocking them with electricity before launching them.

Down Throw: Pointing her Beloved Zofia to the ground, three strikes of compressed wind energy pummel the foe before bouncing them off the ground of the stage.

Specials:

Neutral: Fire (Ragnarok) - Celica charges up her fire ball that shoots forward before exploding. At full charge, this becomes Ragnarok, which is incredibly powerful, doing roughly 35% damage and quite a bit of knock back, but at the expense of Celica taking hefty recoil damage. Chargeable and storable. While it is stored, however, any attack using Celica's fire ball will grow in power, but the recoil damage of the move will be more severe. This does not effect her dash attack or forward throw, however.

Side: Seraphim - Celica clasps her hands together as she is bathed in a flash white light. A giant ball of white light surrounds Celica when the button is released, and slowly it moves forward. If the opponent is overlapping Celica's light, they will be trapped similarly to Mewtwo's neutral air, before being carried forward with the ball of light and being erupted from it when it reaches its full distance. A "get off me" move' befitting Celica's connection to Mila and having one of her weaknesses protected.

Up: Excalibur - Celica summons a gust of razor wind around her as she ascends. Nearby foes get cut by the wind, though Celica also takes minor damage from this move (less than five percent).

Down: Mila's Turnwheel - Celica kneels and enters a praying stance. A counter-styled move, if Celica activates this move at the right moment of impact with the foe, the foe is pushed away, doing no damage. However, Celica is healed by ten percent, making it a very risky way of restoring health. Note, though, that the move has far stricter timing than other Counter-like moves. Celica must be on the ground in order to use it, and it may only be successfully used twice per stock.

Final Smash: Ragnarok Ω - If foes are in range of the attack's start up, a cutscene plays, based on Celica's in-game cutscene when activating this move. Visually, they're essentially the same. The move then ends. Unlike in Shadows of Valentia, this move does not cause recoil damage to Celica, due to being her Final Smash.

Overview:

Celica mainly relies on her spells, with a few moves utilizing the Beloved Zofia, like her jab. The Beloved Zofia acts more like a conduit for her spells here than an actual weapon for most of her moveset, where she makes graceful guiding motions with it to focus her spells, not unlike a baton, or how Toon Link uses the Wind Waker. For the few attacks where she uses the Beloved Zofia for offense, she takes a more rapier-like style.

Like in Shadows of Valentia's dungeon segments, Celica is followed by a small wisp of fire. This is mostly cosmetic and serves as a neat way for her to animate some of her attacks, but also benefits from her neutral special, wherein she can increase its size the more she charges her Fire spell special. This increases the size of some of her attacks' hit boxes at the expense of more recoil damage, and after firing off her charged Fire or Ragnarok, the wisp fizzles back to its original size.

In reference to Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia's unique magic system, Celica takes a variant of Pichu's self damage gimmick, but better executed. Celica does more self damage the more potent her spells are, but can reliably kill using them. Her issue stems from her being the epitome of a glass cannon, as she can't take hits well at all, especially when using her higher recoil spells. In addition to reflecting her game of origin's mechanics, her moveset also reflects her personality and character, with her gracefulness coming through in her use of the Beloved Zofia and her penchant for self-sacrifice for the greater good coming through in her powerful spells' recoil.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
New mechanic idea: a reverse Lucario that starts out really strong and gets weaker as they take more damage.
Mike from StarTropics comes to mind.
Using his supernova to cover more range and deal more damage at first, but as he gets damaged, his weapon reverts to a morning Star, and then to its basic yoyo form.

But I think it should come hand un hand with faster attacks to rack up damage easier.

Huge Announcement!

Key thing is that we no longer have a rule they need a Nintendo appearance, and some special exceptions for Nintendo-owned characters(they can get a thread as long as they have a legitimate Nintendo appearance).

In addition, the Support Directory will be updated as soon as possible to reflect these changes, splitting off Nintendo and Non-Nintendo threads.
I've been gone for less than a month and the floodgates are already open

*Shakes cane wildly*
:061:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
What do you guys think about a character from The world ends with you?
Never played the game but the main character seems interesting, and it's getting a port for the Switch.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Huge Announcement!

None of the characters this opens the door to will actually become playable, but, yeah, cool, whatever.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I was surprised Yoshi did not get a ledge grab in Brawl or Smash. Sticky tongue and all.

Possible. I certainly would allow him to have a ledge grab. Developers might have thought that Yoshi should not have that tool for balance reasons.
I've also thought of him having a tether ledge grab since Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it's better if he doesn't have it. Yoshi has no problems recovering and is annoyingly difficult to engage him in the air, so let's not give him any more tools since he already has enough going for him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've also thought of him having a tether ledge grab since Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it's better if he doesn't have it. Yoshi has no problems recovering and is annoyingly difficult to engage him in the air, so let's not give him any more tools since he already has enough going for him.
Agreed. Honestly, that would help boost him really well. Especially since he lacks a normal Recovery Special. It won't work for every stage, but that's okay. Not counting counterpick ideas, it can still help.

None of the characters this opens the door to will actually become playable, but, yeah, cool, whatever.
Eh, what's important is that people can have fun speculating. Obviously we still expect good discussion and reasoning for their choices, too. Nothing wrong with giving those kinds of thoughts.

Main reason for this, besides site's traffic increasing. Which helps more than it hurts anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Huge Announcement!

So I can finally make my Freddy thread? :troll:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Eh, what's important is that people can have fun speculating.
I think the main reason i'm still logging in SB after randomly comming back are the speculation discussions for Smash Switch. Reading the posts really entertain me

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Loosened the rules so people can enjoy the Speculation section. We need more traffic anyway. With 4 mods, I think we'll be fine, heh~
We don't need "more traffic" at this time. It will happen naturally when SSB5 or SSB4 Switch is announced.

D

Deleted member

So I can finally make my Freddy thread? :troll:

Do whatever you want, I do not care.
Just try to avoid the young users who will want to boil you for liking it. I will not rant, do not worry. You are part of the good-side of the fandom I suppose.
Funny enough, a character that I'd love to see, despite her odds being virtually nonexistent because of a new game on the horizon.

Celica. To illustrate, here's a moveset I made for her. Also obligatory "please post in the Celica thread because it barely gets any posts and I don't want to double post." :p

Normal Attacks

Jab: Using the Beloved Zofia, Celica performs a three hit combo attack. The first strike comes downward from overhead, the second comes from the side in a sweeping motion, and the third has Celica twirling a bit, swinging the blade from behind in an upward motion. This is based on her in-dungeon combo from Shadows of Valentia. Specifically, it comes directly from her second, third, and fourth strike.

Dash Attack: The small wisp of fire following Celica creates a wall of flames in front of her as she charges forward. Unlike her other magical attacks, no recoil is done here. This is taken directly from her dash attack in Shadows of Valentia.

Up Tilt: Celica points the Beloved Zofia skyward as the glowing flame beside her becomes three fire balls, which twirl around the tip of her sword. A multi hit move.

Side Tilt: Celica thrusts the Beloved Zofia forward, moving slightly in the direction she's facing while doing so. This move comes from the first and fifth strike of her in-dungeon combo in Shadows of Valentia.

Down Tilt: Celica, while crouched, moves her hand outward, launching a small, thunderous spark toward the ground. Due to the stun effect, this move can combo into itself twice before knockback forces foes away.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Celica, using the Beloved Zofia like a sort of baton, casts Excalibur above her, creating a slow-rising razor wind. It travels higher up and does more damage the longer it is charged. The move has a trapping effect due to it being a rapid multi-hit move.

Side Smash: Celica leaps up and smashes the Beloved Zofia downward onto opponents. This is based on her critical hit animation in both Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. However, this move does far less knockback than the rest of her smash attacks, due to not being magically backed.

Down Smash: Celica performs her casting animation and casts Thunder, hitting both sides of the ground beside her with bolts of lightning.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Celica's fire ball splits into a small stream of fire. Celica moves the Beloved Zofia in a circular motion and the stream of flames circles around her twice, clockwise.

Forward Air: Celica, using a variation of Seraphim, quickly grows angelic wings and uses them to slam foes both forward and downward. This move is based on one of Celica's attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Back Air: Celica quickly makes a backhanded strike with the Beloved Zofia. Here, the tip of the blade is blessed with the Thunder spell, creating a small orb of electricity at the end. Hitting with the spark does much more damage.

Up Air: Celica uses another variant of Excalibur and sending a small gust of wind upward. Knockback-wise and potency-wise, it is somewhere between Mega Man's and Mr. Game and Watch's wind-based up airs.

Down Air: Celica slices beneath her in a back and forth motion with the Beloved Zofia. A two-hit attack.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: Celica has a fairly standard grab, and pummels by imbuing her hands with fire to burn the opponent. The pummel does not, however, cause recoil damage, despite being magic based. This holds true for Celica's throws as well.

Forward Throw: Celica releases the foe as three columns of fire erupt in front of her, beneath the foe, carrying them away before causing severe knockback.

Back Throw: Celica tosses the foe back and releases a blast of light magic from her hands, sending them flying.

Up Throw: Celica waves her arms over her after bringing her foe upward, shocking them with electricity before launching them.

Down Throw: Pointing her Beloved Zofia to the ground, three strikes of compressed wind energy pummel the foe before bouncing them off the ground of the stage.

Specials:

Neutral: Fire (Ragnarok) - Celica charges up her fire ball that shoots forward before exploding. At full charge, this becomes Ragnarok, which is incredibly powerful, doing roughly 35% damage and quite a bit of knock back, but at the expense of Celica taking hefty recoil damage. Chargeable and storable. While it is stored, however, any attack using Celica's fire ball will grow in power, but the recoil damage of the move will be more severe. This does not effect her dash attack or forward throw, however.

Side: Seraphim - Celica clasps her hands together as she is bathed in a flash white light. A giant ball of white light surrounds Celica when the button is released, and slowly it moves forward. If the opponent is overlapping Celica's light, they will be trapped similarly to Mewtwo's neutral air, before being carried forward with the ball of light and being erupted from it when it reaches its full distance. A "get off me" move' befitting Celica's connection to Mila and having one of her weaknesses protected.

Up: Excalibur - Celica summons a gust of razor wind around her as she ascends. Nearby foes get cut by the wind, though Celica also takes minor damage from this move (less than five percent).

Down: Mila's Turnwheel - Celica kneels and enters a praying stance. A counter-styled move, if Celica activates this move at the right moment of impact with the foe, the foe is pushed away, doing no damage. However, Celica is healed by ten percent, making it a very risky way of restoring health. Note, though, that the move has far stricter timing than other Counter-like moves. Celica must be on the ground in order to use it, and it may only be successfully used twice per stock.

Final Smash: Ragnarok Ω - If foes are in range of the attack's start up, a cutscene plays, based on Celica's in-game cutscene when activating this move. Visually, they're essentially the same. The move then ends. Unlike in Shadows of Valentia, this move does not cause recoil damage to Celica, due to being her Final Smash.

Overview:

Celica mainly relies on her spells, with a few moves utilizing the Beloved Zofia, like her jab. The Beloved Zofia acts more like a conduit for her spells here than an actual weapon for most of her moveset, where she makes graceful guiding motions with it to focus her spells, not unlike a baton, or how Toon Link uses the Wind Waker. For the few attacks where she uses the Beloved Zofia for offense, she takes a more rapier-like style.

Like in Shadows of Valentia's dungeon segments, Celica is followed by a small wisp of fire. This is mostly cosmetic and serves as a neat way for her to animate some of her attacks, but also benefits from her neutral special, wherein she can increase its size the more she charges her Fire spell special. This increases the size of some of her attacks' hit boxes at the expense of more recoil damage, and after firing off her charged Fire or Ragnarok, the wisp fizzles back to its original size.

In reference to Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia's unique magic system, Celica takes a variant of Pichu's self damage gimmick, but better executed. Celica does more self damage the more potent her spells are, but can reliably kill using them. Her issue stems from her being the epitome of a glass cannon, as she can't take hits well at all, especially when using her higher recoil spells. In addition to reflecting her game of origin's mechanics, her moveset also reflects her personality and character, with her gracefulness coming through in her use of the Beloved Zofia and her penchant for self-sacrifice for the greater good coming through in her powerful spells' recoil.
Now I support Celica thanks to you! Creative moveset! It is too bad that people hate adding a lot of Fire Emblem characters, but we could use some more like Celica, Lyn or Chrom.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Just try to avoid the young users who will want to boil you for liking it. I will not rant, do not worry. You are part of the good-side of the fandom I suppose.
I'm mostly kidding, though.

I already have a couple threads I need to work on, so I wouldn't make a FNAF-related thread until I was at least done with those anyway. :p

Besides, there's someone else that hasn't been on a Nintendo system (or likely ever will be due to how the game works) that takes priority.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm mostly kidding, though.

I already have a couple threads I need to work on, so I wouldn't make a FNAF-related thread until I was at least done with those anyway. :p

Besides, there's someone else that hasn't been on a Nintendo system (or likely ever will be due to how the game works) that takes priority.....
I was working on a concept for a pure-indie Smash clone and actually made a special set for her, haha. :p

Now I support Celica thanks to you! Creative moveset! It is too bad that people hate adding a lot of Fire Emblem characters, but we could use some more like Celica, Lyn or Chrom.
It's kind of sad timing plays such a large role since Celica can legitimately provide something no other Fire Emblem character on the roster can.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Little late to the party. But my ranking of third parties

:4bayonetta: is a weird case, I actually think she is most likely. But I also don't think she counts complearly as third party. Being Nintendo published may be all it needs to get Nintendo first party treatment. Nintendo is even credited on her dlc page and they certainly have been treating her as a Nintendo property lately.

:4sonic: No reason to go

:4pacman:I can definitely see Namco coming back, and their on good terms with Nintendo. And he's a such an absolute legend, I don't see why they wouldn't want to keep him around

:4megaman: Capcom is on good terms with Nintendo, Mega Man is having a revival and is getting a few games on Switch

:4ryu:Less likely but I can see him coming back

:4cloud: Got very minimal treatment and does kinda feel like a one time thing

D

Deleted member

I was working on a concept for a pure-indie Smash clone and actually made a special set for her, haha. :p
I'm interested in seeing that. I wanted to get some ideas on how to handle the fighting style before making a thread. :p

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So Miitomo is getting axed. Never used it before, so no hard loss there. Still, I do think it's surprising to see Nintendo just drop it. First Miiverse, and now Miitomo; they've basically shoved aside everything Mii-centered. Now I'm really starting to wonder just how much Miis will be used in the Switch's lifespan. So far, they've only shown up as Switch profile icons and in the MK8 port. If they keep this up, and if customization gets dropped, Miis might actually be in danger for the next Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom