• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ooh, broken images! My favourite source! :troll:
What can I say? It's the Trashboards special.

My point being that Bayo still had considerable/noticeable popularity in these polls. And TBH I don't feel like there's a HUGE difference between these polls and the official Smash Ballot poll. The only difference I can think of is maybe third-party characters ranked higher in the official Ballot poll whereas the fan polls have Nintendo-owned characters higher up given they like them more.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Fan polls are always an iffy subject, because no matter how they're organized, they always end up reflecting the demographic they're contained within. For example, if you held one around here, you wouldn't get an accurate take on who the greater Nintendo fanbase supported, you'd only get who the Smashboards community supported. This is why so many fan polls had such wildly different results across various sites and time periods, and why it's nigh-impossible to get a truly accurate idea of who had the most Ballot support.

Though I still doubt it was ever "character with the most votes = automatically in", anyway. Too easily taken advantage of, that.

D

Deleted member

By the way, is there a thread where people can post their ideal Smash game? Not just talking rosters (Game modes, Items, Stages, etc).
guys pls
If there isn't, I might make one tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What Stages do you think will return for Smash 5 (assuming it's a non-port and a non-reboot, a completely regular next Smash like the previous 4)?

Mario Circuit (SSB4) I don't have any doubts about this one. MK8D keeps it relevant and on a recent console.

Magicant (3DS) is one of the most popular stages on the 3ds version, plus it's adequate representation of Mother One (I wouldn't object to Ninten though). Seeing it in HD would be great. Not 100% sure about this one though.

Green Hill Zone (Brawl/3ds) is likely under one condition: the 3rd parties getting multiple stages. If they do, there's no doubt it's a new stage and Green Hill, seeing as it appears in Generations, Mania, Forces, etc. If Sonic only gets one stage, no chance.

Frigate Orpheon (Brawl) Normally retro stages from 2+ games ago only appear if they were in the previous game, but with Prime 4 coming, wouldn't it make sense to have the one stage from a Prime game in it?

Luminario

Smash Lord
What Stages do you think will return for Smash 5 (assuming it's a non-port and a non-reboot, a completely regular next Smash like the previous 4)?
Temple is a must in every iteration of Smash, as is Corneria. Hopefully Big Blue gets brought back as well.
Brinstar Depths is a wonky stage I'd love back, also Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 should be combined as Pokemon Stadium X or something for the next one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Mario Circuit (SSB4) I don't have any doubts about this one. MK8D keeps it relevant and on a recent console.

Magicant (3DS) is one of the most popular stages on the 3ds version, plus it's adequate representation of Mother One (I wouldn't object to Ninten though). Seeing it in HD would be great. Not 100% sure about this one though.

Green Hill Zone (Brawl/3ds) is likely under one condition: the 3rd parties getting multiple stages. If they do, there's no doubt it's a new stage and Green Hill, seeing as it appears in Generations, Mania, Forces, etc. If Sonic only gets one stage, no chance.

Frigate Orpheon (Brawl) Normally retro stages from 2+ games ago only appear if they were in the previous game, but with Prime 4 coming, wouldn't it make sense to have the one stage from a Prime game in it?
I could see Mario Galaxy and Arena Ferox coming back, at least. Brawl brought back Rainbow Cruise and SSB4 brought back Delfino, so I could see Mario Galaxy returning. Arena Ferox is also notable for being the one Fire Emblem stage based on a specific location (with Castle Siege being more for the series in general and Coliseum being based on Arenas in general), and the fact that it works as a home stage for Robin and Lucina helps too.

Also seconding Magicant.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Temple will come back, of course.

I still want Saffron City and the original Mushroom Kingdom back, from the ones not in Smash 4. They brought back Yoshi's Island, Kongo Jungle, Dreamland, Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle and basically brought back Planet Zebes and Sector Z (let's not kid ourselves, Brinstar and Corneria are the same damn thing) these two should get their due.

Also, Meta Crystal, 64 Battlefield and 64 Final Destination

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah, there were quite a few I forgot to mention. The 6 Melee stages we still have probably arent going anywhere. Halberd will probably stay around too, it's a constant in the Kirby games. Mario Maker is more uncertian, but the inevitable Switch one makes it likelier. Pac-Maze from 3ds represents Pac-Man more than anything else possibly could. Gaur Plains and Arena Ferox will probably join a stages from the newest games in the series. If we get a Sinnoh remake in Gen 8, Spear Pillar is likely.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly miss Sector Z. Corneria is okay, but too small. It's not big enough~

...Only Palutena's Temple is seriously too big, imo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Give me Corneria, Temple, Saffron City, Magicant, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land (or failing that, Fountain of Dreams), and either Smashville or Town & City (not both), and I'm thrilled.

Fourside would be nice too.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Fourside hands down is my fav Melee stage.
If it returns it better have the super slippery UFOs again; using Fire Fox/Bird at a downwards angle on them was hilarious.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I honestly miss Sector Z. Corneria is okay, but too small. It's not big enough~

...Only Palutena's Temple is seriously too big, imo.
I always preferred Sector Z over Corneria myself, I agree that Corneria is a bit too small (Especially since it seems to get smaller and smaller with every passing Smash game...)

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I'd be sad not to see both Smashville and Town & City return (unless something replaced one of them adequately). Town & City gives a decent amount of variety as well as opportunities for some very silly stretcher KOs and other platform shenanigans, while Smashville provides a more consistent moving platform. Also, both stages have great soundtrack lineups (even though I do hope more will be done with personalized stage music selections next time around instead of limiting certain tracks to certain stages).

Would like to see Delfino Plaza come back; it's one of my favourite non-legal stages. However, I'm feeling a little doubtful that it will return...

I think Duck Hunt will be back, and considering all the pining over Fountain of Dreams (me included LOL), I'm guessing that will return as well, but I think it might receive an upgrade in a similar way to Hyrule Temple. Could be totally wrong, but just a hunch. :p

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
How many characters can realistically be added to Smash 5, not including DLC?
Smash 4 added 15 characters (not including DLC or Lucina/Dr. Mario/ Dark Pit). If Smash Switch is not a port, I can see 10-15 added in the next addition.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any Donkey Kong stage ever was ported in one way or another. So I think it's highly likely the DKCR level with 3D background effect gets ported. Totally forgot it's name, but it's gonna be ported.

Also I want Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle 64 back badly. OG Pokemon Stadium, Melee's Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Onett, Corneria, Planet Zebes 64, Metroid Melee stage, Fourside, Halbert, Castle Siege, Fire Emblem Wii U stage, Skyloft, Hyrule Castle, Isle Delfino, Hyrule Castle 64 reworked , matter fact rework all 64 stages. Don't make sense to have such ugly stages in HD. Besides Kongo Jungle cause of my personal nostalgia of course. Also.. Mario Galaxy stage was cool. Magicant I never played but I want it in too. Smash Ville is nice, City & Town is welcome.. I wouldn't mind a port basically.

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Why are the Chorus Kids wanted? They don't seem to be great characters or come from a critically acclaimed series. Is it just because or the Gematsu leak?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why are the Chorus Kids wanted? They don't seem to be great characters or come from a critically acclaimed series. Is it just because or the Gematsu leak?
They are popular outside of it, but it did give some popularity. They're often seen as mascots of the series as a whole, despite the series not having a particular mascot, as it depends which game.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
I'm not too hot about the Chorus Kids, but I definitively want a Rhythm Heaven character along with more representation. I want Dream of our Generation and Donk Donk.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unfortunately no. Although it's gotten a third game announced a while ago, the sales of the first two games were nothing all too impressive
I wasn't aware they even published its sales, considering it's eshop only.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Must've been good enough for him to keep getting games.

That said, critically acclaimed they were not. And I can attest to that. They're fine games but they're not great. The art style is the best part.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I still think the girl from the cover of the Rhythm Heaven Fever would be a good choice for a Rhythm Heaven mascot seeing as how she could pull all the rhythm games together, especially since she shares the same body type as many other women from the minigames like the Reporter and the Cheerleaders. I also like the idea of Wrestler + Reporter as a fighter duo that was in the roster thread.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Goddamnit guys the game is not even confirmed yet can you maybe slow down

Also, let me say Shovel Knight is a shoe in because I need to add something meaningful to this ****post and to start an argument

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Shovel Knight is definitely a #1 pick for anyone new for me. Do I think they're likely? No, not really.. but if any Indie gets in (which they deserve to, the rise of indie games is very significant to the history of video games) it has to be them or Quote.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shovel Knight is definitely a #1 pick for anyone new for me. Do I think they're likely? No, not really.. but if any Indie gets in (which they deserve to, the rise of indie games is very significant to the history of video games) it has to be them or Quote.
Well, Steve was the biggest breakout Indie, but he isn't considered one anymore. Shovel Knight is pretty much the second big one the world knows thanks to constant promotion.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'd put Shantae up there with Shovel Knight too. If we get any indie character, it'll probably be one of those two.

Undyne would be my pick for a indie character just due to my bias. Thankfully, I'm not in charge of Smash.

D

Deleted member

Whether or not he'll actually join the battle, we will get at the VERY LEAST a trophy of Shovel Knight and the other playable Knights in the next Smash.

Nintendo published the game in Japan, and that was enough for Rayman, Globox, and Barbara.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'd put Shantae up there with Shovel Knight too. If we get any indie character, it'll probably be one of those two.

Undyne would be my pick for a indie character just due to my bias. Thankfully, I'm not in charge of Smash.
Shovel Knight is the only indie character remotely likely to become a fighter in Smash, in my humble opinion. I would prefer Quote from Cave Story, as he is THE Mario of indie games, but I don't think he is all that likely.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Well, Steve was the biggest breakout Indie, but he isn't considered one anymore. Shovel Knight is pretty much the second big one the world knows thanks to constant promotion.
Steve may be the biggest, but in terms of significance I think Quote is the #1 on there. Doesn't Minecraft have almost no relevancy in Japan? Not that I'd mind Steve/Alex, it'd just be really weird.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Steve may be the biggest, but in terms of significance I think Quote is the #1 on there. Doesn't Minecraft have almost no relevancy in Japan? Not that I'd mind Steve/Alex, it'd just be really weird.
Minecraft got a slower start in Japan compared to the west, but quickly gained traction. It's the number one best seller on the Japanese Wii U eshop, for example. Definitely not irrelevant.

D

Deleted member

I was only half-joking with that post, but I guess it's my fault for being used to the less strict trules of the Social thread.

Anyways, I don't think we're likely to see an "indie" character, simply due to the fact 3rd parties are supposed to be big hitters, characters that will move units. Otherwise there's no point to them when they could put a more less known character from Nintendo itself which wouldn't cost them any money and works as an advertisement for the character.

I could see Steve for these reasons but I can't see him for others. Some are more personal but I'm not going to deny his possibility due to those and the other is due to if Microsoft would be up for it(they own Minecraft now, right?)
All Shovel Knight would need is for Nintendo to approach YCG and they'd be all over that **** but I doubt it'll happen.
And lol, Quote, Cave Story is more and more forgotten as time passes, only getting out of Nicalis's dungeon when it's time to re-release it on another platform. I guess CS3D existed and that's a remake, r-right?
Too bad because CS is great and more people should play it and while Nicalis rereleasing it on new consoles is great, it's still ****ty because CS is 100% free Curly's Panties aren't worth however much they're selling it for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom