• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, I realized that. I edited my statement to fix that. Apologies!
No apologies necessary--I know what it's like to look at someone's post I'm replying to and missing something (despite re-reading a few times to make sure). My hope is that it's not true--obviously, I'd like it if we got another third party character (on their 20th anniversary hehe). But that's the point of critical thinking--to be especially tough on the things we would like to be true, to avoid confirmation bias.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The copyright things seems like a nice theory, but it will get thrown out of the windows if that Square-Enix Character is DLC. Whenever it add 1: (Disney) or two: (Bird Studio/Armor Project) copyright holder.

And even hurt the chance of Characters like Banjo or Steve to appear beside DLC.

But you know what? I feel it.
We will get our tiny *plop* at the end of a direct to add whatever Copyright Holder there is left.

I firmly believe it might be a reason of why we're keeping the same May/June build ever since E3

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If the copyrights are only for fighters then that means Verg's leak for Minecraft "content" could still be true. It just means we'll be getting a stage or Assist. Not Steve as a fighter.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I just witnessed the birth of a new theory.
God help us all...
Sometimes it's a beautiful thing--like watching a new star formed in a stellar nursery. Other times, like these, it's full of destruction and devastation, like a supernova.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Hmm, this theory is very possible, but we really can't determine anything from it. We'll just have to wait and see. The font size could easily change to fit more text
at least this is something new to talk about

Edit: Happy birthday Noipoi Noipoi !

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I would love Vergeben having incorrect info at this point. Not cuz I don't like Incineroar or Minecraft, but just to make the speculation a little more interesting til that last character reveal

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Indeed, I pointed that out in my last statement. I wish we had access to a demo that was before a character's announcement to have a definitive answer. But it looks like we'll have to wait and see if there's any more playable third party characters.
Was the Smash 4 E3 demo available or streamed before Pac-Man was announced? Can't really remember when Pac-Man was revealed in relation to the rest of the event as I was asleep at the time, I just remember it didn't happen during the main presentation, so maybe there's something to be found there.

Last edited:

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
I will have a problem at the start from Ultimate. Back in the 90s I did not really a fav in the first 8^^ but Mario was boring at most, because most of the others were more fascinating. They were all unknown to me. On the whole I played alot with Captain Falcon, Ness and shortly before Melee I began to like Jigglypuff. All of them have to be unlocked. xD

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I will have a problem at the start from Ultimate. Back in the 90s I did not really a fav in the first 8^^ but Mario was boring at most, because most of the others were more fascinating. They were all unknown to me. On the whole I played alot with Captain Falcon, Ness and shortly before Melee I began to like Jigglypuff. All of them have to be unlocked. xD
You could give my boi a shot if it ends up being OG 8 :yoshi:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Was the Smash 4 E3 demo available or streamed before Pac-Man was announced? Can't really remember when Pac-Man was revealed in relation to the rest of the event as I was asleep at the time, I just remember it didn't happen during the main presentation, so maybe there's something to be found there.
Wasn't Bamco already credited for being the head developers of Smash 4?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I would love Vergeben having incorrect info at this point. Not cuz I don't like Incineroar or Minecraft, but just to make the speculation a little more interesting til that last character reveal
I would love that, because it's mainly been Verge, in combination with these theories, that has made speculation so dull. However, I have to admit that he's gotten a lot right, and have considered him trustworthy since Simon's reveal--I want to avoid being in denial.

That being said, I can't see Nintendo going to Microsoft for just a stage/assist. Only if the talks began after the roster was decided. I feel like something must have been the impetus to begin those talks, and 2015 with Banjo's popularity seems like the most appropriate time. Add to that Microsoft going back to Banjo's N64 design--that doesn't sound like a Microsoft/Rare decision, but it does seem like a Sakurai decision.

But all of that is meaningless if all that is left is what's rumored (still don't believe box theory, as I believe SE rep is in the base). But these all do align with copyright theory.

I believe the first demo was after Pac-Man's reveal (though it's difficult with Pac-Man, since it's copyright owners are also helping to develop the game)--that being said, Pac-Man wasn't in the Treehouse demo. I could be wrong, though I've searched for an early demo build and found nothing.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Those are some good points. The website, as is listed, is subject to change, though it's weird to have Shovel Knight's IP on the website without listing his legal information. Much more apt, though, I see the point of Ubisoft not being credited on Smash 4's screen (I thought you meant they were in the demo build).

As far as I know, legalities are agnostic in terms of whether or not a character is playable. Perhaps I'm wrong, but we'll find out soon enough anyways.
The closest I could find was this:

It's from the end of Smash 4's first trailer, but it's still not from a Demo or Menu.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would love that, because it's mainly been Verge, in combination with these theories, that has made speculation so dull. However, I have to admit that he's gotten a lot right, and have considered him trustworthy since Simon's reveal--I want to avoid being in denial.

That being said, I can't see Nintendo going to Microsoft for just a stage/assist.
Vergeben originally said Minecraft there would be content he never said anything about a playable fighter until much later when someone else told him that. And since Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy and his copyright info is not on there, that could mean we are just getting a Minecraft assist trophy or stage. I do think it's possible. Sakurai contacted Ubisoft just to get some Rayman trophies. It's not out of the realm of possibility that we are just getting some minor Minecraft stuff.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord

This is from the end of Palutena's trailer, before Pac-Man was revealed.
They definitely added copyrights over that time. And with that, we could assume the same thing happened to the Smash Bros. 4 Website.

I would assume this applies to the Smash Wii U and 3DS menu copyright credits as well.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Vergeben originally said Minecraft there would be content he never said anything about a playable fighter until much later when someone else told him that. And since Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy and his copyright info is not on there, that could mean we are just getting a Minecraft assist trophy or stage. I do think it's possible. Sakurai contacted Ubisoft just to get some Rayman trophies. It's not out of the realm of possibility that we are just getting some minor Minecraft stuff.
I know about Verge's claims--I'm one who's *not* predicting a Minecraft character. But Ubisoft is different from Microsoft. Ubisoft has always had a good relationship with Nintendo. Microsoft has had a bad history with Nintendo, and I can't see them going to them for just a stage/assist. It's possible--especially if talks began after the roster. But I don't see why they would go to Microsoft in the first place.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

This is from the end of Palutena's trailer, before Pac-Man was revealed.
They definitely added copyrights over that time. And with that, we could assume the same thing happened to the Smash Bros. 4 Website.

I would assume this applies to the Smash Wii U and 3DS menu copyright credits as well.

does that kill the theory then?

NineS

Smash Lord
does that kill the theory then?
I would assume so. It's possible that they're doing things differently this time around, but it's unlikely. If this isn't the theory killer, it's definitely a big blow to it.
If what was true for Smash 4 remains the same for Ultimate, then it's safe to say characters like Steve, Banjo & Kazooie, Shantae, etc. are still very possible.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Guys...
We had all copyright in the demo because at the time we had EVERYONE IS HERE which was basically ****ing everyone in all smash games. So we got the copyright for all of them at the time whenever they were in or not in the demo.

It doesn't mean anything for any reveal post-E3

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I just made the mistake of watching some Pokemon Let's Go footage and heard the new remix of the S.S.Anne theme and got super nostalgic. I hate myself for wanting that cheap cash grab of a game.
Your guys still up for the spambot theory? :)
Here's my spambot theory: Bad R.O.B., Mega Man, and Samus mains mains will focus solely on using their unstable Wifi connections win match ups by spamming projectiles, just like in Smash 4.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I would assume so. It's possible that they're doing things differently this time around, but it's unlikely. If this isn't the theory killer, it's definitely a big blow to it.
If what was true for Smash 4 remains the same for Ultimate, then it's safe to say characters like Steve, Banjo & Kazooie, Shantae, etc. are still very possible.
The only way in which this theory escapes is trailers being different than demo builds. I just assume if a copyrighted character isn't announced--we wouldn't see their copyright. However, I was very certain that all intellectual properties within a particular build must be credited, playable or not. But then, as was pointed out, Ubisoft isn't credited on Smash 4's home screen. Which seems bizarre to me--*we* care about playable characters, but lawyers don't. There's more money/negotiations for playable characters than assists/trophies, but using a character's image is not trivial. So--I'm uncertain at this point, other than hoping the credits are meaningless.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The only way in which this theory escapes is trailers being different than demo builds. I just assume if a copyrighted character isn't announced--we wouldn't see their copyright. However, I was very certain that all intellectual properties within a particular build must be credited, playable or not. But then, as was pointed out, Ubisoft isn't credited on Smash 4's home screen. Which seems bizarre to me--*we* care about playable characters, but lawyers don't. There's more money/negotiations for playable characters than assists/trophies, but using a character's image is not trivial. So--I'm uncertain at this point, other than hoping the credits are meaningless.
Nah dude. Smash title screen always was Characters. Ubisoft and **** got thanked in the classic mode credit.

I'll just quote myself because I'm 100% sure I'm right on this one.

Guys...
We had all copyright in the demo because at the time we had EVERYONE IS HERE which was basically ****ing everyone in all smash games. So we got the copyright for all of them at the time whenever they were in or not in the demo.

Especially with people posting that each reveal added the copyright for Smash4 when needed.
I'm 100% sure the E3 build copyright mean nothing.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Guys...

Are you suggesting they can change the size or orientation of text in a digital product? Ha, there's no way I'm going to fall for something that ridiculous!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are you suggesting they can change the size or orientation of text in a digital product? Ha, there's no way I'm going to fall for something that ridiculous!
Gotta make it clear for people here y'know. Because I'm not ready for a "Copyright theory" when we're not over the box one.:nifty:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's five in the morning, I probably should've went to sleep several hours ago but better late than never.
Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys, seriously it means a lot to this repressed nerd.

I'm going to bed, see you dudes later.

One year older, brand new avatar

NineS

Smash Lord
It's five in the morning, I probably should've went to sleep several hours ago but better late than never.
Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys, seriously it means a lot to this repressed nerd.

I'm going to bed, see you dudes later.

One year older, brand new avatar
Goodnight. Hope your birthday wishes come true, and happy birthday.

now there's bots spamming telling us we need to go on keto diets

Vasculio

Smash Cadet
Watch BillyBo10k Youtube Channel last night, he just revealed that Music Theory is dead... Makes me more excited again for Black Shadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom