• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, the overlap between Isaac and Lloyd fans makes sense when you consider they are both protagonists of popular JRPGs from the same console era.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Uh ... So that Reddit newcomers poll ended.
Shall we talk about it? The data they got is pretty interesting
I find the facts about Sora's fanbase pretty interesting. Specifically this one:
  • The characters with the most brigaders were Sora (more than half his voters came from non-reddit referrers) and Phoenix Wright (a third of his voters came from non-reddit referrers).
I feel like this provides evidence of my claim that Sora did well in the Ballot but not fan ballots because his fanbase doesn't overlap with those that do fan polls like this. Of course, the size of the Smash poll is what brought a lot of fans to it, but most Sora fans don't participate in smaller fan polls like the ones we cite.

I hate to bring up the old Geno argument, but I found this fact interesting as well:
  • Isaac receives considerably more support from Europe than from the US, while Geno's support stems almost exclusively from the US.
Geno isn't as popular worldwide as we think he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he was passed up in favor of a more overall supported character (Sora or Erdrick) who performed better universally on the ballot or is overall more popular.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd probably give it to Fox. Falcon would do well on the ground, but I have a feeling Fox would end up winning in the end if he was allowed to go into the air.

:ultyoshi: VS. :ultkirby:, eating contest.

Conditions: It's the Gourmet Race from Kirby Super Star, and both Kirby and Yoshi are not allowed to use transformations.
Zinith Zinith convinced me Yoshi would win, so I'll take his word.

:ultbayonetta: vs :ultinkling:, shooting contest.

Conditions: Both try more than once, using each other's weapons too, so that equipment doesn't make a difference.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Mhm, I agree, that poll is great, because it show TONS of interesting fact we can "suppose" and "deduce" this is just my deduction and observation, they're not fact at all~

- Geno's support came basically from U.S, could be because Europe don't really have no idea of who he is, whenever it got released on Wii or Snes Mini.

- Isaac support came mostly from Europe (where he's called Vlad here in France~) isn't something i'm suprised, Isaac is talked a lot here in Europe and I'm super happy with this placement!

- This also show that even if a characters ISNT really talked at all in the "Muh smash bubble circle", like Llyod, they can have a lot of support a "silent" support if you can call it. Probably a proof/ linked to Llyod's Mii costume being released alongside K.Rool/Chrom as part of the "Popular demand" wave of Mii costume?

- Sora being 4th is a proof of the existance of something OUTSIDE of the smash "bubble" that most discard as I will call it as half of his vote were not from Reddit and probably from the Kingdom Hearts Community outside of smash who, believe me or not, are also Smash fan and voted A LOT during the ballot and had a massive following during that time. Same goes for Phoenix Wright! It's great to see those characters that high!

- People are salty against Swordman smfh Smash fans

- Sora fans used retaliate even if it's a **** skill in the KH games smfh

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I find the facts about Sora's fanbase pretty interesting. Specifically this one:

I feel like this provides evidence of my claim that Sora did well in the Ballot but not fan ballots because his fanbase doesn't overlap with those that do fan polls like this. Of course, the size of the Smash poll is what brought a lot of fans to it, but most Sora fans don't participate in smaller fan polls like the ones we cite.

I hate to bring up the old Geno argument, but I found this fact interesting as well:

Geno isn't as popular worldwide as we think he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he was passed up in favor of a more overall supported character (Sora or Erdrick) who performed better universally on the ballot or is overall more popular.
Was Erdrick really that popular of a choice? I mean, Erdrick is my most wanted SE character, but I didn't think he/she was all that popular

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I feel like this provides evidence of my claim that Sora did well in the Ballot but not fan ballots because his fanbase doesn't exactly overlap with those that do fan polls like this. Of course, the size of the Smash poll is what brought a lot of fans to it, but most Sora fans don't participate in smaller fan polls like the ones we cite.

That's an interesting note on Sora and Wright that I had not considered. Also, I wasn't exactly surprised by the Geno one. Of course, it's difficult as only 3% came from China, Korea, and Japan so it's hard to draw concrete conclusions. It does line up with the polls that I've seen, though. Like most fan polls it's meaningless fun, but sometimes the only evidence we have in gauging a character's popularity.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The Geno and Shadow leak isn’t real someone on reddit recently said he made it and just wanted to see how far it would go.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Was Erdrick really that popular of a choice? I mean, Erdrick is my most wanted SE character, but I didn't think he/she was all that popular
Well, that poll show us that there something OUTSIDE of the smash circle.
And I'm sure that if you asks Japanese People they will bring up Dragon Quest easily as something not in smash they want to see in smash.

It's VERY big.
Like, Religious Big.

Hunter x Hunter is basically on Hiatus half of the time because the author play DQ non-stop (joking but HE IS a DQ fanboy)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If you want positive discussion, MAKE positive discussion.

So, on a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the characters and stage selection?

I'm at a 10, personally. I would be content if the game released with the current roster :)
(I'm gonna get roasted for this) The characters a 7.5. I'm glad I get :ultisabelle::ultchrom: :ultinkling::ultdaisy:, but :ultrichter::ultdarksamus: :ultsimon:are just 'eh okay', and I have no interest in :ultkrool:, and:ultridley:. However I still have my mains::ultsheik::ultlucina::ultcorrin:, my favorite veterans back from the dead:ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultwolf:, and everyone is back I have a lot to be thankful for Character wise.

Stages, easily a 10. All I wanted was Fountain of Dreams, and Pirate Ship, but to think we were able to get more than that? That's amazingly mind blowing. I feel like there are more stages coming, but if not, this amount we have would be just fine with me.

This is um well suggestive.
Ohhhhhhh... I don't get it /s

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Well, that poll show us that there something OUTSIDE of the smash circle.
And I'm sure that if you asks Japanese People they will bring up Dragon Quest easily as something not in smash they want to see in smash.

It's VERY big.
Like, Religious Big.

Hunter x Hunter is basically on Hiatus half of the time because the author play DQ non-stop (joking but HE IS a DQ fanboy)
Oooooh I see! So maybe because of the huge demand for DQ in Smash, we may get a character like Eridrick or Jade as DLC

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wonder if Geno could still wind up as DLC or in base alongside Sora or Dragon Quest Protagonist or Slime.

Sakurai wants him and has acknowledged how he receives a lot of requests, so Square may let him add him as DLC at least.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I have a wish that actually Vergeben is wrong and the list of Square-Enix character he got was like Geno/Sora/Erdrick and it was actually because they all in and not a leaker trap.

Noipoi

Howdy!

So, on a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the characters and stage selection?

I'm at a 10, personally. I would be content if the game released with the current roster :)
:ultinkling: already makes it a 10/10. I love :ultisabelle:, and i'm actually starting to warm up to characters I didn't like before :ultridley::ultkrool:.
:ultchrom: and :ultdarksamus: are okay, I couldn't care less about :ultsimon: and :ultrichter:, but literally everyone returning turns this 10/10 into a 11/10.
Now all I need are Geno and Incineorar and it'll be 20/10.

Stage wise, it's also amazing. Cut out most of the crap and brought back fan favorites like Fountain of Dreams. 10/10.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lots of bots for Banjo, apparently. Not sure how reliable that makes his placing.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wonder if Geno could still wind up as DLC or in base alongside Sora or Dragon Quest Protagonist or Slime.

Sakurai wants him and has acknowledged how he receives a lot of requests, so Square may let him add him as DLC at least.
I'd bet money on Geno as DLC. He's the Mewtwo of this speculation cycle.

For base though? I kind of doubt it.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'll be real here, my recent delve into Dragon Quest at DQ XI has made me want a dragon quest newcomer almost as much as Geno tbh

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Roster is a 9, I just need Shadow to be 100% happy (hence why he is my first on my wishlist, he matters more to me than anyone else). I finally got :ultridley::ultdarksamus: and was a :ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter: supporter. Still wish :ultchrom:had been kept out but oh well.
Stages, easily a 10. So many of them with standardized Omega forms and Battlefield forms finally. Also 8-player on every stage is gonna be a blast for my friend group.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
:ultinkling: already makes it a 10/10. I love :ultisabelle:, and i'm actually starting to warm up to characters I didn't like before :ultridley::ultkrool:.
:ultchrom: and :ultdarksamus: are okay, I couldn't care less about :ultsimon: and :ultrichter:, but literally everyone returning turns this 10/10 into a 11/10.

Stage wise, it's also amazing. Cut out most of the crap and brought back fan favorites like Fountain of Dreams. 10/10.
Pretty much how I feel about this as well. Except I was ok with Ridley and K Rool, but not super hyped.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd bet money on Geno as DLC. He's the Mewtwo of this speculation cycle.

For base though? I kind of doubt it.
Geno doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as Mewtwo. He has to be a base character.

D

Deleted member

After Isabelle, 10/10. I really couldn't be happier with this game right now. Every single stage I missed is back, every single character I missed is back, I got 5 newcomers off of my wishlist, the soundtrack so far is amazing, and by the look of things single player might be back. This game is everything I wanted Smash Wii U to be and more. I really can't complain.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dang, I want Porky next for sure but I was not expecting Phoenix and Amate-friggin-rasu over Rayman.
It's a rule that characters Hideki Kamiya worked on must score high on pools.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think most people considered Isabelle to be a character who "made sense", but there were enough counterarguements against her to make them doubt she'd actually get in, similar to Ridley before Verge. Unlike the latter though, I don't remember many people being passionate about getting Isabelle in Smash, so they probably didn't care enough to explain why they thought she was likely/unlikely.
None of that exactly screams "second most predictable character!".

Most Prediction lists are wishlists in disguise.
No way. This is pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of how it works.

Most people making wishlist/prediction videos are more interesting in being "right" than they are asking for who they actually want. That's why almost every wishlist has the same 4-5 characters appearing in it. Most of those people don't actually WANT Captain Toad, Spring Man or Rex, but they showed up on almost every list anyway. They just wanted to be able to go "See! I totally called it!"

Unfortunately for them, all those people misjudged how far in advance Smash's roster gets selected.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Roster is a 9, I just need Shadow to be 100% happy (hence why he is my first on my wishlist, he matters more to me than anyone else). I finally got :ultridley::ultdarksamus: and was a :ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter: supporter. Still wish :ultchrom:had been kept out but oh well.
Stages, easily a 10. So many of them with standardized Omega forms and Battlefield forms finally. Also 8-player on every stage is gonna be a blast for my friend group.
8 player on every stage is something that is just flat out not praised enough. Like that's insane. I am so hype for Smash parties now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
THE FAN BALLOT RESULTS!
BANJO IS THE WINNER!
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ltimate_poll/e75qqjc/?st=jmutpdwb&sh=b5c81eca
View attachment 168096

Placements:
1. Banjo
2. Isaac
3. Geno
4. Lloyd
5. Sora
6. Skull Kid
7. Paper Mario
8. Pheonix Wright
9. Amaterasu
10. Rayman
11. Crash
12. Spyro
13. Rex and Pyra
14. Bandana W. Dee
15. Chibi Robo
Banjo: 1st place, 17052 votes
Isaac: 2nd place, 27089 votes
Banjo: most heavily botted
Isaac: least heavily botted

ಠ_ಠ

jk i <3 them both

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have a wish that actually Vergeben is wrong and the list of Square-Enix character he got was like Geno/Sora/Erdrick and it was actually because they all in and not a leaker trap.
That would actually be pretty grand. Best of all deals. Square Enix has supported Nintendo a LOT, in their biggest fronts (FF/DQ/KH) it wouldn't be ridiculous to think they could all coexist in Smash.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Uh ... So that Reddit newcomers poll ended.
Shall we talk about it? The data they got is pretty interesting
Seeing Ammy make the top ten made so happy, just seeing how she held on so many time before her defeat to Issac was great, I honestly didn't expect her to make it high up, but I'm glad she did
He look like he ****ing..you know what I mean..;)
Yeah I know what it meant /s = sarcasm :)

D

Deleted member

All this talk about Dragon Quest is making me interested in the series.

Well, as for that fan poll, glad that Banjo won! That poll gave me an idea as to what kind of characters Smash fans are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom