• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If you want positive discussion, MAKE positive discussion.

So, on a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the characters and stage selection?

I'm at a 10, personally. I would be content if the game released with the current roster :)
Eh, I know I'm going to sound ungrateful but it's only a 9/10 for me until we saw more single player content. Roster-wise, I'm good.

I don't know the meaning of that.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I'm not a supporter of the Box theory (I think it's a possibility but I also think it can be wrong), but this thing of the download codes, if anything, it gives more credibility to the box theory, since there are still 2 empty spots one of which is near Ryu.
They can move the characters in the version with all the fighters, so it doesn't matter if the space is before Ryu, what matters is that the space is near to Ryu, or to be more precise, on the same line as Ryu.
Well, since in an hypotetical new version of the thing they can move all the characters, it doesn't even matter where the space is, it's 2 spaces, totally matching the box thing that also has 2 empty spaces.
At firs I agreed with you, but the download codes are already in shops, they are the final designs, but Sakurai had outright stated there are more characters, it explains why there is only 8 in the bottom row, one of the corners is empty on both sides, whoever is left to announce, will not be on the box.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if the next reveal, direct or random stream, is neither Incineroar nor Ken, nor also to be safe the Square Enix rep? What then?

Electrick_EEL

Smash Cadet
If we do get a Lucina/Robin trailer next week, is there a chance it could show more than 2 fighters (like in said trailer)? I would totally see all 3 Ken, Inceneroar, and Celica (since fire-based magic is one of her main weapons) being revealed at the same time.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What if the next reveal, direct or random stream, is neither Incineroar nor Ken, nor also to be safe the Square Enix rep? What then?
If it's a newcomer that isn't any of those three, we all come back here to bicker over what it means.

If it's a reveal that doesn't line up with the box-- for instance, an echo that's nowhere near Ken's row, or two actual newcomers-- then everything is disproven and we hurl ourselves into chaos as we scour 4chan for leaks and dream big again.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

So, on a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the characters and stage selection?

I'm at a 10, personally. I would be content if the game released with the current roster :)
8 for characters, 10 for stages (would be 11 if Rainbow Road returns - any theories why it didn't make the cut?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Steve crafts himself into Smash!

No but seriously my bets are on Skull Kid if it's not one of the ones you mentioned.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
If it's a newcomer that isn't any of those three, we all come back here to bicker over what it means.

If it's a reveal that doesn't line up with the box-- for instance, an echo that's nowhere near Ken's row, or two actual newcomers-- then everything is disproven and we hurl ourselves into chaos as we scour 4chan for leaks and dream big again.
Did you quote me? It says you did, but I don’t see it.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Depends on who it/they is/are and how many are revealed. Box theory and Verge's predictions are two entirely separate concepts and are often paired together but are not necessarily the same. Box theory just says we have two more slots based on promo material. That fits in well with Verge's Kencineroar info.

So if it's not any of those, box theory could still be alive, but Verge could be wrong, or box theory is wrong but Verge got Kencineroar right as they are revealed later on. If it's two non Verge fighters with more to come then things are starting to look shaky for Verge and box theory is dead, though Kencineroar could be coming later.

^that's written in a very convoluted fashion but I hope you get what I'm saying lol.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's not looking good for the box theory. We're obviously getting a newcomer soon, whether it's a direct or a standalone trailer. For the box theory to be true, either this has to be the final direct and they're not saving anything for November, or we're getting a direct later that has only a single echo for a character reveal. Both these scenarios also go against Sakurai's statement about slowing down reveals. He wouldn't say they were too trigger happy with reveals then proceed to reveal everything else too quickly. I wonder what box theory people think about it.
Reminder that the slow down reveals is taken out of context when the article was planned for Sept 6th. A month later would be slowing down. And honestly the final direct in October makes sense as to protect from leaks.
*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

The initial placeholder sent to retailers was already replaced with this image, which was purposefully altered to hide the part of the roster that had not yet been revealed. Just using the word "placeholder" and implying a different context (in this scenario, "placeholder" as in they hid two characters for revealing later, versus "placeholder" as in the final product is nothing like this one and this is just an elaborate ruse) is disingenuous and a lousy argument. Simply hiding two layers in a .PSD file and reapplying them later takes two seconds. Constructing the initial design to accommodate all characters in a distinct pattern that accounts for a yet unknown echo character slot with the amount of detail shown for a placeholder replacing a placeholder that would be replaced by a totally different image also made from the ground up is a complete waste of their marketing team's time and energy and a company choosing to do that likely wouldn't be nearly as experienced as Nintendo.

But I don't care anymore.
This, I frame it for all of those who aren't immediate to discredit the box, but are really rooting against it.
Super hype. Really hoping we get just a trailer drop, because that honestly breaks the box theory for me. But at the same time I want to know about Spirits and would love 30 mins of Smash. Conflict :/

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm hoping the Box Theory and Verge's leaks are wrong, I don't care for Ken and while I do like Incineroar I'd prefer Decidueye if we get a new Pokemon rep.

(Also I'm holding out for Skull Kid and Shadow)

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestly I'm hoping the Box Theory and Verge's leaks are wrong, I don't care for Ken and while I do like Incineroar I'd prefer Decidueye if we get a new Pokemon rep.

(Also I'm holding out for Skull Kid and Shadow)
I’d love Inciniroar, but I’m hoping these two are incorrect. Gotta get my Skull Kid lol.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I’ve had two dreams now about Rayman getting in Smash and the first one had a fat guy dressed in priest getup talking about the end of the world before the screen zooms in on Mario, Sonic and Pac-Man, and then Rayman slowly levitates downward to join the battle.
I’m not even that big of a Rayman supporter. I played Rayman 3 and liked it. I have no idea why I’m having these dreams. I’d expect to have a dream about Dante or Doomguy or Wonder Red or Shantae before a dream about Rayman.
I just felt as though everyone should know that Rayman getting into Smash is now a literal dream of mine.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

The initial placeholder sent to retailers was already replaced with this image, which was purposefully altered to hide the part of the roster that had not yet been revealed. Just using the word "placeholder" and implying a different context (in this scenario, "placeholder" as in they hid two characters for revealing later, versus "placeholder" as in the final product is nothing like this one and this is just an elaborate ruse) is disingenuous and a lousy argument. Simply hiding two layers in a .PSD file and reapplying them later takes two seconds. Constructing the initial design to accommodate all characters in a distinct pattern that accounts for a yet unknown echo character slot with the amount of detail shown for a placeholder replacing a placeholder that would be replaced by a totally different image also made from the ground up is a complete waste of their marketing team's time and energy and a company choosing to do that likely wouldn't be nearly as experienced as Nintendo.

But I don't care anymore.
No, it's not disingenuous. I'm using the term placeholder consistently--"an image that is not the final product." Almost everybody agrees on that part for the reasons I specified. As such, you and box theorists *infer* the negative space will be filled in, and nothing else will change. If you think that's a reasonable inference, that's fine. I don't think it's reasonable under that view they'd be that careful to censor the image, but not careful enough to think out the fact people would be able to guess the final roster. I agree--it's a weird image. There's a weird (nonsensical) pattern. That's not convincing to believe that gives us any indication about what the final design would look like, which is why I call it a placeholder. Maybe it's not, but I see no reason to suspect otherwise. And that's just one, of many ridiculous assumptions for the theory to work. Whereas the assumption that the blog takes the NEW banner down before a reveal--is as simple as it gets.

First condescending arguments from authority, now I'm disingenuous. Apologies if I struck a nerve somehow, but wow.

EDIT:

I'd definitely love to make it positive, despite how difficult it is at times. It's hard for me to say a 10 because that would be "perfect", though the E3 reveal blew my expectations out of the water and I would have been content with that being the final roster. And then it just kept going. So for that reason, I'd say it's a 10. Not a perfect 10, but as close as it gets. Stages is another issue--I would have gone a different route, especially if "103" is final. I'd give that a 7.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we do get a Lucina/Robin trailer next week, is there a chance it could show more than 2 fighters (like in said trailer)? I would totally see all 3 Ken, Inceneroar, and Celica (since fire-based magic is one of her main weapons) being revealed at the same time.
Now this...this I would love.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
They only added one video to the character playlist... It's only gonna be one Character

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultpacman::Ah yes, a fine day in Smashville with two of my closest friends as we dine on sandwiches and watch the clouds roll by.

:ultgnw: : Beep beep

:ultbayonetta:: Yes it is quite sunny out

:ultpacman:: That's not what he said...

:ultbayonetta::Oh what did he say darling

:ultpacman::Umm well, whew perhaps we should met up another time

:ultgnw:: *Starts jabbing*

:ultbayonetta::Oh my

:ultpacman::Old friend, no... Not in public

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
They only added one video to the character playlist... It's only gonna be one Character
No, let's correct this misinformation now: we do not know how many videos were added. They are private and we cannot see them.

We could very well get 2 reveals in a Robin/Lucina trailer or three more in a final Smash Direct, or only one because lel mega slowdown of reveals. But using a video number that is unproven (unless I missed something big) is a bad basis for predicting how many fighter reveals we're getting.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’ve had two dreams now about Rayman getting in Smash and the first one had a fat guy dressed in priest getup talking about the end of the world before the screen zooms in on Mario, Sonic and Pac-Man, and then Rayman slowly levitates downward to join the battle.
I’m not even that big of a Rayman supporter. I played Rayman 3 and liked it. I have no idea why I’m having these dreams. I’d expect to have a dream about Dante or Doomguy or Wonder Red or Shantae before a dream about Rayman.
I just felt as though everyone should know that Rayman getting into Smash is now a literal dream of mine.
“Now, before the world ends, I would like to introduce our new fighters in smash bros. After this we will have the full game able to play, courtesy of Sakurai, we will be able to play before the world ends. REJOICE!”

Untouch

Smash Master
No videos were added.
The playlist says 70, the english playlist (which wasn't updated) also says 70.

edit: Not to say there isn't an announcement, the videos are likely hidden.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultpacman::Ah yes a fine day to in Smashville with two of my closest friends as we dine on sandwiches and watch the clouds roll by.

I love the fact beside :ultgnw:, :ultpacman:'s best friend is :ultbayonetta: of all people.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
:ultpacman::Ah yes, a fine day in Smashville with two of my closest friends as we dine on sandwiches and watch the clouds roll by.

Can you explain the joke to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom