• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
my big problem with the box theory is that Ken was included on the box but not isabelle
That's assuming Ken is even on the box. The more likely scenario, IMO, is attempted Symmetry. THere's an empty slot on the other side to line up with the visible side's two missing slots.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
You see, the thing is, the box theory is in Funky Kong's favor because with him, all they need to do is throw a "New Funky Mode!" sticker on the box instead of being with the lineup of characters on the side.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean, I would, but...

...Not to quote myself for no reason, but the ****ing irony that this came from an episode about Spongebob losing his mind over not being able to see the contents of a box just dawned on me and I can't stop thinking about it. :mad088:

Shroob

Sup?
Then why was ken on their
Because Ken's on Ryu's side, which we can't see.

Ken isn't 'on' the box, since again, it's not even a real box, it's a digital mockup, but the person who designed it broke characters into rows of 9.

It doesn't 'have' to be Ken, it could be someone like Medusa or Miss Pac Man, people only say Ken due to Vergeben and the leak.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You see, the thing is, the box theory is in Funky Kong's favor because with him, all they need to do is throw a "New Funky Mode!" sticker on the box instead of being with the lineup of characters on the side.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with New Funky Mode & Knuckles.

portalmasterJ11

Smash Cadet

Ken isn't 'on' the box, since again, it's not even a real box, it's a digital mockup, but the person who designed it broke characters into rows of 9.

It doesn't 'have' to be Ken, it could be someone like Medusa or Miss Pac Man, people only say Ken due to Vergeben and the leak.
Why would they give Ken a spot on the box if it was just a digital mock up

D

Deleted member

I dunno man. I think Smash Ultimate, Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild, Metroid Prime, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Golden Sun, Metal Gear Solid 2, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, and Bayonetta are all contenders for greatest games of all time.
I mean don't get me wrong, Smash Ultimate will be practically God's grace where we really don't deserve it, but I honestly have yet to see a masterclass effort and performance from games that EarthBound and MOTHER 3 did.

EarthBound pretty much broke all the expectations and tropes that you can expect from an RPG and made it's own identity that stood out from the rest; combine that with some of the most memorable characters and music you'll hear in an RPG that intertwines with the music so well, I don't think there's ever been a game that can top it. ...Except for MOTHER 3.

There's a clear reason why people STILL ask for MOTHER 3 to this day. It pretty much earns the title of "The Even Greater Greatest Game of All Time, It Shouldn't Even Exist". Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna made me break down crying, but when that new title came and that was when AFTER the game was done, plus only once.

MOTHER 3 drove me to tears not once, but three times, and you'll know especially if you're a fan with the infamous "Chapter 6".

With the game also tackling some seriously heavy topics that're super relatable to the real world, such as the loss of family members and relationships within two people or a community, but yet do it in such a unique way - combine that with a soundtrack that even tops EarthBound, and you got a game we ACTUALLY don't deserve. It's pretty much like the Xenoblade 1 V. 2 case, where one game does better efforts than the other and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Why would they give Ken a spot on the box if it was just a digital mock up
Don't ask me, I didn't design it, nor did I design the "Rows of 9" pattern.

All we know is that between Palutena to Cloud, there's an Echo fighter, because otherwise, we wouldn't see Corrin on the side that we can see. It's the only row that's not 9, it's 8.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

It could still literally be an empty spot to attempt at a symmetrical layout. There doesn't actually have to be a character on the other side of the box.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
You could say that there will be more character's on the back of the box. That's an assumption. You could say that all of the characters will be on the side of the box. That's also an assumption. Occam's Razor evens out here and it doesn't favor nor harm the box theory. It's really a question of which one is the more likely assumption, but as we have no evidence as to what's on the back of the box we can only guess.
Exactly! So the box implies that we have AT LEAST two characters left, and not ONLY two characters left. But is doesn't hint at there being 2 characters as opposed to 4-5 and vice verse, all we can take out of it is that there will be either 2, or 3, or 4, or 5, or 6, or... characters.

Shroob

Sup?
It could still literally be an empty spot to attempt at a symmetrical layout. There doesn't actually have to be a character on the other side of the box.
There doesn't, but Ken is more or less confirmed at this point, and if we get more than 0 newcomers, I expect that both sides will be full.

portalmasterJ11

Smash Cadet

All we know is that between Palutena to Cloud, there's an Echo fighter, because otherwise, we wouldn't see Corrin on the side that we can see. It's the only row that's not 9, it's 8.
What if it was just a miscount which I think is more likely

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Clearly, we're looking at the box all wrong.

Box theory is correct. On the outside. We need to pull the secret string inside the box to reveal the secret compartment to reveal Sakurai's embarrassing photo from the Christmas Party. That will then force him to put in more characters out of blackmail. It all makes sense now.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Box theory is correct. On the outside. We need to pull the secret string inside the box to reveal the secret compartment to reveal Sakurai's embarrassing photo from the Christmas Party. That will then force him to put in more characters out of blackmail. It all makes sense now.
Are you saying that Geno is....INSIDE the box?

That Sakurai is providing every Smash fan with a life sized Geno poster, action figure, and Dakimakura?

Madman.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Precisely. And with this info, we can now finally cross off box theory and never discuss it again as we now know the truth.

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
People assuming Ken will be a clone...can easily not be one too. Think he will end up being another Isabelle case for many.
I think we can be pretty certain that Ken is an echo. On "the box" echoes are positioned next to their non-echo counterpart. The ordering of the characters on the visible side of the box implies that exactly one of the fighters in the last group on the non-visible side has an echo. The Ken image leak practically confirms that Ken is a playable fighter. Therefore, Ken is almost certainly an echo. (It's possible that Ken is not an echo, but then one of the other fighters in the last group on the non-visible side of the box would need to have an echo, and Incineroar couldn't be in the game. Either that, or you would have to discard the box theory).

Edit: I think someone answered this while I was typing?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope Ken has his SFV look, as that's the look I prefer when it comes to Ken.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's literally impossible considering how many people have been over and hyper analyzed this. There is no miscount.
He's saying miscount on the part of the digital artist that made the final design for the box.

It's still crazy, because it implies that while he was divvying up the box for his arbitrary layout, he just coincidentally grouped one character set with 8 characters instead of 9.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Whether box theory is correct or not, whoever designed the "rows of 9" pattern doesn't know how to design. You typically read left to right* continuously from up and down, not left to right up to down stop in the middle and go to the other side than left to right up to down...

It's the first big thing that annoyed me about the Box, and I'll be flabbergasted if that ends up being the final design choice.

*Mainly in the West, but it doesn't affect the main point.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And then there's the fact that Ken ACTUALLY WAS LEAKED and no one can kill the leak, making it stronger everytime someone tries to...

Ken is this game's worst kept secret at this point.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I missed the convo earlier, but wanted to share this. This was my "Pick Your Fav Pokemon" from the Dragonflies site (circa April 2017), where I did the "choose between 2" option for all up to gen 7 Mons.

Screenshot_2018-10-23-21-31-33-1.png
Some aspects are outdated (Wartortle, Flygon and Tentacruel shouldn't be there), but the other stuff is accurate. Apparently gen 7 designs left a strong impression on me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what? Ultimate should have a Box stage, where it's just big version of the Ultimate Special Edition Box in space.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Question: Say they pull off a Sonic in Brawl and added your wanted character, whoever it may be, late in the game, but they delay the game to a later date. How would you feel, overall?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
MOTHER 3 drove me to tears not once, but three times, and you'll know especially if you're a fan with the infamous "Chapter 6".

With the game also tackling some seriously heavy topics that're super relatable to the real world, such as the loss of family members and relationships within two people or a community, but yet do it in such a unique way - combine that with a soundtrack that even tops EarthBound, and you got a game we ACTUALLY don't deserve. It's pretty much like the Xenoblade 1 V. 2 case, where one game does better efforts than the other and vice versa.
And this is why we'll never get another Mother game. Itoi has said that Mother 3's story reflected a lot of what was going on in his own life at the time, and he felt he had a story that he needed to share. And man was it a good one. Now that the story's been told, he felt he could move on with other things in his life.

Shigesato Itoi, man. What a great guy, bless him. :ness:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Question: Say they pull off a Sonic in Brawl and added your wanted character, whoever it may be, late in the game, but they delay the game to a later date. How would you feel, overall?
I'd be pretty confused considering DLC is a thing now

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And then there's the fact that Ken ACTUALLY WAS LEAKED and no one can kill the leak, making it stronger everytime someone tries to...

But Shroob, it's fake! I can tell because I've seen a lot of 4chan fakes in my day! *avatar suddenly changes to that of a conspiracy theorist*

D

Deleted member

Ken isn't real until Battle Harbor is confirmed as a stage and we get Guile's Theme as a part of that 36-song roster for SF.
Y'all don't understand how hard Battle Harbor goes as a stage.

THAT STAGE + GUILE'S THEME = GOTC (Game Of The Century)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom