• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
People assuming Ken will be a clone...can easily not be one too. Think he will end up being another Isabelle case for many.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Yknow, never really thought of this but if box theory was true, I feel as if the box wouldve been taken down or something by now

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I just call things as I see things. It's worked out pretty well for me so far this time around. Like whenever anyone said "there's no such thing as shoo-ins" while I remained adamant that Isabelle was one.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I just don't think I will be wrong, is all. It all just makes sense to me.
And I'm also just calling it as I see it.

And what I don't see is the other side of the box.

:drshrug:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Why? Because the design/marketing team may want the last couple characters to be on the back in more of a spotlight with a little "blurb" about them, especially if there is a "bigger" reveal like Steve. Giving a small fact/description makes the character feel more real and relatable, but it isn't really practical to do that for every character considering how many their are. But of course I have no idea if this is a possibility without being a part of the design/marketing team, none of us do so there isn't any evidence for or against it.
But why wouldn't characters such as Ridley or K Rool or other hyped up newcomers be on the back as well?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yknow, never really thought of this but if box theory was true, I feel as if the box wouldve been taken down or something by now
Why? Even if it's true, it's not like the box theory actually leaked anyone, we're only assuming Ken and Incineroar because of Verg. And taking the image down would just rile people up more.

D

Deleted member

Remember, EarthBound is the greatest game of all time. Then MOTHER 3 comes over and matches it, and even builds upon more amazing stuff.
I dunno man. I think Smash Ultimate, Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild, Metroid Prime, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Golden Sun, Metal Gear Solid 2, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, and Bayonetta are all contenders for greatest games of all time.
And there I thought you could be trusted.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
my new box theory is that the characters on the back of the ultimate switch box are the only ones that are playable by release

check please

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
My argument for "The back of the box" is, "Why".

We already know there's a pattern in place, if there were more, why couldn't they just up the amount of characters on each side?
Honestly why not? There's nothing outside the theory itself saying that all the characters will be on the box, or that both sides will be filled, etc. What stops other parts of the box having characters on it as being a possibility outside wanting to conform to the theory's conclusion? :/

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You know I’m just curious as to why the box hasn’t at least been updated to include Isabelle.
Perhaps a point, albeit a small point, in the favor of it not being the finalized design. If it were, it could be a "Everyone is Here" situation where they're added one by one. But if they can't (because it's not the final arrangement) then they'd just leave it like that.

It's a small point because I don't think it would be a situation where it's supposed to be updated--it's obviously not final. But that is why I still think Box Theory is on shaky ground in the first place, as I feel like we have no reason to assume it's the final arrangement, just with stuff taken out or "censored".

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
When were you ever silenced? Do I need to get that Spongebob box vid out? :p It's all I hear about, and it's annoying, but people can talk about whatever they want, so long as they give me the same respect.
I thought using a hashtag on SmashBoards was a pretty indicator that I was joking but I guess not.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna create a new box theory. It's called "Alastor's Box Theory", where sit in a box and pray really hard that the characters I want to get in Smash get in.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly why not? There's nothing outside the theory itself saying that all the characters will be on the box, or that both sides will be filled, etc. What stops other parts of the box having characters on it as being a possibility outside wanting to conform to the theory's conclusion? :/
Because as is, the 'box' isn't real, it's a digital mockup with 3 missing spots, one going to Isabelle.

It could have been made however, but someone designed it with a weird "9 character pattern" in mind.

Depending on how many characters you think are left, why would there only be like, 1-2 more left? Why wouldn't giga hype characters like Ridley, K.Rool or Inklings be on the back with publicity blurbs about them?

It raises way too many questions.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Speaking of theories, I have one...

Music theory 2.

All future music tracks released on the Smash site will be of series already represented on the Music page. Seems that way so far.
Music Theory 2: Electric Boogaloo
Also, figured i’d mention it but one of my rules regarding Smash Bros is that if I can help it, I play at least a game from each series that has a playable character in Smash.

The only series I currently have not played a game from is, *gasp*, Castlevania. But I have the NES Mini so there’s that.

I totally recommend doing that, because it has negated a lot of animosity for, “THAT SERIES DOESN’T DESERVE ANOTHER CHARACTER” quite drastically for me. Granted, not everybody can do that for a number of reasons, but if you have the chance to, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

It’s cool to have a connection with each series.
Eh, I have no plans of ever buying a Bayonetta or Street Fighter game, but thankfully I've never really had the "BLAH BLAH BLAH series deserves it!" mindset in the first place.

I do agree with having experience with more of the series is definitely cool though. It gives you a higher affinity for Smash as a whole, as well as the characters from each series.

I do have experience with most of the franchises in Smash though.
I'm only Street Fighter, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Metal Gear, Duck Hunt, and Star Fox though.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Why? Even if it's true, it's not like the box theory actually leaked anyone, we're only assuming Ken and Incineroar because of Verg. And taking the image down would just rile people up more.
Eh, I personally feel that the remaining amount of characters is a big thing to potentially leak, I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo would want that out there when there are thousands of people talking about how it means there are two characters left.
But I didnt think about it riling people up, if Box Theory is true than that is definitley the reason they havent taken it down

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
And since then the director said "he re
But why wouldn't characters such as Ridley or K Rool or other hyped up newcomers be on the back as well?
Because this way still allows there to be somewhat of an "order" to the characters, but of course I have no idea why not as I'm not apart of the marketing team and none of us are which is my entire point. From the outside, we have absolutely no evidence for or against, unless one of us has like a marketing PHD or something and can prove that professional marketers would be more or less likely to have characters on the back.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can see the Box Theory being correct, I really can, but for some reason I don't think it is. I feel like there's at least two unique characters left. So Inceneroar and one other. And if that other character is Ken then the box theory is still broken. I dunno. Something tells me that we looked to closely into something again. This time a random ass box.
I'm at the point where I'm actively hoping Ken and Incineroar are it for the base game. I'm already thrilled with the roster and all the whining from the anti-boxers got annoying long, long ago.
For what it's worth it was just as annoying back when Box Theory first got big and people would LITERALLY shut down discussion because it didn't line up with the box. That doesn't do anybody any good in the slightest, really.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Honestly I feel the opposite. I think if it got completely taken down, it would make it seem more likely to be true, i.e. that revealing it was a mistake and they need to backpedal to cover it up.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Perhaps a point, albeit a small point, in the favor of it not being the finalized design. If it were, it could be a "Everyone is Here" situation where they're added one by one. But if they can't (because it's not the final arrangement) then they'd just leave it like that.

It's a small point because I don't think it would be a situation where it's supposed to be updated--it's obviously not final. But that is why I still think Box Theory is on shaky ground in the first place, as I feel like we have no reason to assume it's the final arrangement, just with stuff taken out or "censored".
That's a big part of my issue with it. Along with the fact that Sakurai and the devs have been very careful with trying to prevent things from leaking or showing before they are supposed to. To the point that people within the company were surprised with some things.
There have been a couple flubs but otherwise they do their best to have it so we can't guess things like this. Then a mock up is released and suddenly they don't care about it possibly spoiling the exact amount of characters left?
Doesn't really mesh imo

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm gonna create a new box theory. It's called "Alastor's Box Theory", where sit in a box and pray really hard that the characters I want to get in Smash get in.
I'm jumping on this one.
if my theory is correct y'all, we should be getting Quote and Tails when Smash Ultimate comes out.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Speaking of series, Smash has actually introduced me to a lot of series I like, such as Xenoblade, Golden Sun, and Bayonetta, and the only series I have yet to have any experiance with are Pikmin, Earthbound, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Wii Fit.
Smash is what got me into F-Zero, Legend of Zelda (I was very young 5-6, had no clue who Link was at the time, my only knowledge of gaming was Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pokémon, so I had just started out gaming in general) Mother/Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Metroid, and actually made me go back and play some Xenoblade a bit, but everything else I was already familiar with it and thanks to the likes of Mr. Game & Watch, his inclusion made me curious about retro games. :grin:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Ninten (and Claus) actually might have a chance.

If the Earthbound Trilogy rumor is true, I can see an Isabelle to Animal Crossing Switch-esque announcement happen for the kid(s).
Every Earthbound/Mother stage is returning, which only also applies to Zelda and Kirby, and those two series may get a newcomer of their own.
On the website, Ness and Lucas both take the stages which could be used as Porky's home stage, but Magicant, a stage based on Ninten's game (Earthbound Beginnings/Mother), is not owned by anyone.
Something nice to think about, is that Ninten could be a tribute to Iwata, if he made it in. The whole roster of the game could be partly thanks to Iwata, as well as Sakurai, seeing as it was his idea to have the Smash Ballot, which Ultimate has been using to decide many newcomers/Echoes. Iwata loves the Mother series, and worked hard on the first two games. It's not impossible that he was the one who convinced Lucas to show up as Smash 4 DLC over Snake and Wolf.

The Claus skin Lucas has hasn't been shown, so he might (might) get in (maybe) to accompany Ninten in a Mother-focused trailer.
Also, like Daisy's weird placement (in the Everyone is Here! art) which leads people to think Shantae will be beside her (I believe this too), it's kind of odd that Mr. Saturn, an item in Smash, is a part of this art, and not beside a Mother character.

There's some other things playing in their favour too, but these points seem the most convincing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, I personally feel that the remaining amount of characters is a big thing to potentially leak, I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo would want that out there when there are thousands of people talking about how it means there are two characters left.
But I didnt think about it riling people up, if Box Theory is true than that is definitley the reason they havent taken it down
There's zero reason to take it down when it's already up, and as an official item.
That'd be admitting you made a mistake and showed something to the entire world that you shouldn't have live on stream AND confirming that all the speculation is, in fact, true. Unless Sakurai has a Men-in-Black style memory wiper, that's not happening.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's not 'leaking' anything, since it's not revealing anything that we haven't seen yet.
If Box Theory is true it's leaking the final character total--which is not trivial.

I thought using a hashtag on SmashBoards was a pretty indicator that I was joking but I guess not.
Whoops, my bad. Poe's law has been... pretty strong, particularly with some of the more crazy speculation/theories. :rotfl: Also, perhaps I've misinterpreted it because I've used hashtags genuinely, though still with a wink... Embarrass

EDIT: double negatives are my weakness

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Nintendo isn't stupid, they're probably laughing at everyone who thinks there are only two newcomers left because of a box that we can only see two sides of. They've been quite troll lately, this would be too perfect.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You could say that there will be more character's on the back of the box. That's an assumption. You could say that all of the characters will be on the side of the box. That's also an assumption. Occam's Razor evens out here and it doesn't favor nor harm the box theory. It's really a question of which one is the more likely assumption, but as we have no evidence as to what's on the back of the box we can only guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom