• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
You know this is kinda interesting, though maybe a bit depressing to think about; we’re all here theorizing and discussing what we’re wanting for ultimate, despite each of us likely parting ways entirely after it releases. Some here are on the more casual side of smash, who’d never ever think of going to a tournament, or even getting on for glory, others are far more towards the competitive side, going to their states local tournaments almost every month, hoping to eventually save enough money, and get enough recognition to travel to a larger scale tournament, and likely never touching online or not even remotely trying when they do. Others still are kinda in between, preferring online and maybe rarely if ever going to a real tournament, but still wanting to prove their skill on things like anthers ladder.

Parts of the smash community that rarely ever interact(and when they do it tends to be with some hostility to each other, with people from any side starting the arguments), yet for this short period, the speculation period before a new games release, everyone flocks to a thread like this, being “mostly” friendly/respectful to each other and only really discussing things such as which character they’re most excited to play as, or when the next direct is, or who the unrevealed characters are.

It’s a shame to think that once ultimate releases, just like in the past, many folks are just gonna go back to their old ways, attacking the other sides for “playing the games wrong” “relying on randomness to win” , “being WiFi Warriors and nothing else” etc. Some might stay here on Smashboards, others might abandon it altogether going back to ign, gamefaqs, reddit, w/e....
I'm sure that's true for some. But there's a good six or seven people here I plan on at least staying in contact with once I've sequestered myself in my room to play this game 24/7.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My username is probably the most mundane one I could have come up with.
It's just my initials.
"Ken May Don't Playable"
*tin foil hat* Your name is a hint

I'd like to see any of my wishlist as assists because I'm satisfied with them just getting into the game at all, but particular ATs I'd like to say is the Slime (Dragon Quest) thing I've been thinking about.

A slime spawns and is killable but otherwise weak.

Rarely, a metal slime can spawn, which doesn't take much knockback but is worth two points. And it's fast.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know this is kinda interesting, though maybe a bit depressing to think about; we’re all here theorizing and discussing what we’re wanting for ultimate, despite each of us likely parting ways entirely after it releases. Some here are on the more casual side of smash, who’d never ever think of going to a tournament, or even getting on for glory, others are far more towards the competitive side, going to their states local tournaments almost every month, hoping to eventually save enough money, and get enough recognition to travel to a larger scale tournament, and likely never touching online or not even remotely trying when they do. Others still are kinda in between, preferring online and maybe rarely if ever going to a real tournament, but still wanting to prove their skill on things like anthers ladder.

Parts of the smash community that rarely ever interact(and when they do it tends to be with some hostility to each other, with people from any side starting the arguments), yet for this short period, the speculation period before a new games release, everyone flocks to a thread like this, being “mostly” friendly/respectful to each other and only really discussing things such as which character they’re most excited to play as, or when the next direct is, or who the unrevealed characters are.

It’s a shame to think that once ultimate releases, just like in the past, many folks are just gonna go back to their old ways, attacking the other sides for “playing the games wrong” “relying on randomness to win” , “being WiFi Warriors and nothing else” etc. Some might stay here on Smashboards, others might abandon it altogether going back to ign, gamefaqs, reddit, w/e....
I dunno what i'll be doing once the game releases, but I do know this. You're all never getting rid of the Noipoi!

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
...I'm not even gonna dissect that.
That use of a term with an unfortunate double-meaning towards a certain group of people gets a yikes from me, chief.
That was seriously insulting to me. You're allowed to post whatever you want, but take others into consideration before you do.

To answer your question: Mallow (if Geno does get in), another FE character besides Lyn, Creeper, and Dark Matter
This post was so cringy I'm considering blocking you because of it.

Anywho, I think Chrom might actually be a worse Roy.
Fine
*takes a selfie*
I'm the cringe compilation....

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, which characters would you like to see getting BLACKED ASSISTED?
I'm not a fan of unique characters being ATs, so I'd love more generic enemy ATs akin to the Hammer Bros and Chain Chomp ones. Ocelot's men in MGS3, fleamen from Castlevania, the redeads from Legend of Zelda, etc.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Any news so far? October is ending in about 7 days...
And no news, people are expecting things around the first full week of November.

I'm not budging on my guess 'till it turns out wrong. Which I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not that fickle haha.

KMDP

Smash Legend
OK Kevin Mathew David Peterson

(am I close?)
You got one of them right. (The D).

Also, I can guarantee that nobody will get the K without help, I am 100% certain of this.
I like to imagine that his name is "Steve ? Uhhhhhh..."
So his initials would be S?U

Killer Masochist Digs Pineapples.
Is that it?
Sure.
"Ken May Don't Playable"
*tin foil hat* Your name is a hint
K. Rool makes doughy pizza.

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman

And me? I don't even have a Switch, so I'm probably going to disappear ocmpletely when the speculation period is over! (For the three people on this board who actually like me, feel free to ask for my Discord.)

beans

Smash Lord

Jokes on ya, I dont play against other people.
Totaly not because anti-social behavior or bad internet or the fact there arent tournaments in my city.
My deliberate choice.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Fave Pokemon from each Gen and what they'd do as a Pokeball:

Gen 1: Magnemite - would cast Electric Terrain, doubling speed on the ground.
Gen 2: Heracross - flies across the screen like Super Sonic but slower, using Megahorn on whoever it hits.
Gen 3: Sableye - Mega-Evolves and uses knock-off, damaging you and forcing you to lose your item if you have one
Gen 4: Tangrowth - uses Wring Out which deals more damage the closer to 0% you are.
Gen 5: Landorus - comes out Landorus-I, transforms into Lando-T, proceeds to wreck **** like only Lando can.
Gen 6: Hawlucha - uses Flying Press Snorlax-style but with a smaller hitbox, falling faster multiple times.
Gen 7: Palossand - uses Sand Tomb, burying and damaging opponents.
The badly programmed old days: Lapras - Would tear into foes using Waterfall, then follow up with Sheer Cold to freeze them.
Gen II I wish those ball tigers were real...: Girafarig - If you attack its tail, Girafarig will fling you away with Psychic.
Gen GBA Stans: Shiftry - Uses Knock Off on anyone which it catches using an item; that item gets traded away for the victim being dizzy.
BEST GEN EVER: Infernape (:sick:) - A trapping combo featuring Fire Spin into Mach Punch.
Pokécontroversy: Hydreigon - Launches Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, and Surf at once, one attack taking up each head.
X Gon Give It To Ya: Sylveon - Shoots Fairy Wind all over the place which flings you around helplessly and puts you to sleep.
Under the Alolan Sun: Lycanroc (:dizzy:) - Shoots everyone down with its Z-Move, Splintered Stormshards.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Although I'll most likely be off after the last DLC character comes (especially if it's a Bayonetta-type reveal that splits everyone), I may hang out here occasionally until then. Besides, I don't have a Switch yet anyways.

One thing you can be sure of, even when a fellowship ends, we'll reunite come the next game's speculation period. I'm in too deep not to consider this a tradition at this point.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
November 8th would be 29 days away from release, which makes sense to me. Making people wait a month after your last presentation of the game is logical.

ESRB also happened 26 days before the release of Smash 3DS, so they could beat leaks to the punch if that is their objective. It would be very close, but past precedence would have them come out on top.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man do I wish we could just permaban racists on a first offense. That'd be nice.

The badly programmed old days: Lapras - Would tear into foes using Waterfall, then follow up with Sheer Cold to freeze them.
Gen II I wish those ball tigers were real...: Girafarig - If you attack its tail, Girafarig will fling you away with Psychic.
Gen GBA Stans: Shiftry - Uses Knock Off on anyone which it catches using an item; that item gets traded away for the victim being dizzy.
BEST GEN EVER: Infernape (:sick:) - A trapping combo featuring Fire Spin into Mach Punch.
Pokécontroversy: Hydreigon - Launches Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, and Surf at once, one attack taking up each head.
X Gon Give It To Ya: Sylveon - Shoots Fairy Wind all over the place which flings you around helplessly and puts you to sleep.
Under the Alolan Sun: Lycanroc (:dizzy:) - Shoots everyone down with its Z-Move, Splintered Stormshards.
Ayyyyy Shiftry would be amazing in Smash.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
What's the general consensus of that Trophy Rush mode? I've never played it, but it looks stupidly addictive. It reminds me of mobile and flash puzzle games I used to play a lot when I had time to waste, specifically that Disney Tsum Tsum app. I never hear anything about it cause mode discussion this time around is usually limited to complaining about how much Classic and Smash Tour sucked.

Last edited:

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Counterpoint: Pokemon as a series is already meant for children and casuals.

Let's Go appears to be a whole new level of not-challenging, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking core Pokemon games are satisfying to play for their challenge. It's about as stress-free as a JRPG could possibly be. That's a big reason for its enormous worldwide appeal.
I don't personally care about the difficulty, what bothers me about Let's Go is that it ignores many of the updates and additions the games have gotten throughout its years. Not just the new Pokemon, but abilities, held items, things that have progressed the series. Let's Go is not just steps backwards, its leaps and bounds backwards. The series has grown immensely since Red/Blue so its weird to me that the first Console release of a Pokemon game is a literal clone of the most bare bones version of the series is saddening.

Shroob

Sup?
What's the general consensus of that Trophy Rush mode? I've never played it, but it looks stupidly addictive. It reminds me of mobile and flash puzzle games I used to play a lot when I had time to waste, specifically that Disney Tsum Tsum app. I never hear anything about it cause mode discussion this time around is usually limited to complaining about how much Classic and Smash Tour sucked.
Hated Trophy Rush, loved Coin Launcher.

3DS version was just dull. and WiiU version was just "Spam Palutena custom move".

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Not gonna lie, guy. I forgot that existed.

It was ok. But you could easily cheese it with two custom Palutenas. It didn't have the replayability of Coin Launcher.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
That's his official name, ? included.
That's what it was on official merch for a bit. Supposedly, back in the wee days of Minecraft, Notch was asked what the character's name was and he hesitated and said "Uhhhhh, Steve?" or something of the sort and it stuck.
I believe that's how Notch, the creator of Minecraft--
I doubt they would include the question mark in his name if he were added to Smash. A bunch of merch doesn't even include it. Maybe Microsoft dropped the question mark after the purchase. Smash could reference it by having Xander Mobus say Steve's name.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, here's a question.

Let's discuss how we think these future matchups will go.

:ultridley: vs :ultkrool:

:ultinkling: vs :ultsimon:

:ultisabelle: vs :ultchrom:

Just to start.
A bold hero stopping a troubled future fighting against a puppy secretary from a sim game shows how weird Smash can get with their potential match ups.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Fave Pokemon from each Gen and what they'd do as a Pokeball:

Gen 1: Magnemite - would cast Electric Terrain, doubling speed on the ground.
Gen 2: Heracross - flies across the screen like Super Sonic but slower, using Megahorn on whoever it hits.
Gen 3: Sableye - Mega-Evolves and uses Knock Off, damaging you and forcing you to lose your item if you have one
Gen 4: Tangrowth - uses Wring Out which deals more damage the closer to 0% you are.
Gen 5: Landorus - comes out Landorus-I, transforms into Lando-T, proceeds to wreck **** like only Lando can.
Gen 6: Hawlucha - uses Flying Press Snorlax-style but with a smaller hitbox, falling faster multiple times.
Gen 7: Palossand - uses Sand Tomb, burying and damaging opponents.
Gen 1: Blastoise shoots water cannons around.
Gen 2: Typhlosion uses eruption and molten rocks fall from the sky.
Gen 3: Groudon uses Preciplace Blades to send spikes through the battlefeild
Gen 4: Garchomp uses Earthquake, destroying and moving arund floating platforms
Gen 5: Gigalith... does what Typhlosion does
Gen 6: Aegislash keeps close to it's summonor, both protecting and attacking foes.
Gen 7: Blacephalon places head bombs all around.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
The left? What? It wasn't even about politics
Amiibo Doctor Amiibo Doctor bring me the camera
No can do, owning the libs is my secondary goal in life
Primary goal is Shrek in Smash, ofc

Frankly, I think I'll stay on this thread even after Ultimate releases. I've had a grand old time with you guys and it's helped during the drought.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Shrek Goku?
Maybe later.
It's pretty fun, though it admittedly loses some of its drive once you get all the trophies.
It's still pretty enjoyable even then though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom