• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)

Honestly if I can get Rex/Pyra/Mythra in DLC for Ultimate or even just Elma I will be set. I don't think we need 3 reps from Xenoblade. (even though I would love it lol) unless the next XC comes out before the next Smash and is absurdly popular. I'll still push for Rex in the next game if just Elma gets into Ultimate but I won't be upset at all if he doesn't get in :)
Rottytops.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Damn, on the new poll at the top of the page, only 6 people voted for Isabelle. :(
Don't let that get you down. In the end it doesn't matter how many people here are most excited for her, what matters is that she managed to make it in in the first place. Even if she's not placing as high on the poll, she's still just as much of a winner as the rest of them.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Are we talking Yoshi now? I just finished Wooly World last week for the first time. I’ve never been much into platformers, but Yarn Yoshi is unbelievably cute and the remix from Sm4sh sold me. Hope that song returns even if the Wooly World stage doesn’t...I’m sure I can fit it somewhere.

And tough choices on the new poll. I’m really excited about Riddles and the Kroc, so it’s hard to pick a favorite there. Also Isabelle looks infinitely cooler than Villager, and I’m inordinately excited for Daisy. This really has been a great crop of newbies so far.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well, he is cooler (at least in my opinion)... He's also probably easier on the eyes for some people compared to Connan the Vampire Hunter
I haven't really played Castlevania before, but of course I was aware of Simon and his multiple designs. At the start of this season, Simon was on my list, so I was looking at his different designs I hope it'd be, and I only really liked the Conan one.

That said, Richter is more interesting to me, because I had no idea who he was before the direct, despite knowing about the meme with him and Dracula. I never really paid attention as to who that was.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Honestly Artoon/Arzest Yoshi games are just mediocre. But people act like they are Sonic 06 levels of bad. I wonder why?

When it comes to video game people seem to exaggerate how bad something is.

Peopke always post the same two songs to show how bad the New Isalnd soundtrack is but ignore the fact that there are some decent songs in there as well.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly Artoon/Arzest Yoshi games are just mediocre. But people act like they are Sonic 06 levels of bad. I wonder why?

Yeah, that's the case for everything tbh

Even 06 has it's good points too, honestly
Not a lot of 'em but they're there

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Tbf the question wasn't "who's excited for Isabelle?" It's "What new char are you most excited for?" And the competition includes Ridley and K Rool, among the most requested characters for Smash. It's not a referendum on Isabelle overall (even though her trailer was underwhelming in some ways).

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I guess those games are more painful to someone like ME than it is for a general player. I never thought they were the worst things ever made, but they're pretty bad for the standard I put on Yoshi's series...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I guess... but, she does really deserve more, but, I'll move on...
Tbf the question wasn't "who's excited for Isabelle?" It's "What new char are you most excited for?" And the competition includes Ridley and K Rool, among the most requested characters for Smash. It's not a referendum on Isabelle overall (even though her trailer was underwhelming in some ways).
Ditto.

I'm actually pretty equally excited for all of the newcomers outside of Ridley, so that's really cool! Like if Ridley wasn't confirmed yet it would be hard for me to pick my most excited. Inkling is a close second but I'll still be dissapointed they didn't work in a turf mechanic but instead worked in a gauge mechanic.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I voted for Inkling, after tossing up between them, K. Rool and Dark Samus.

K.Rool had my favourite reveal by far, but I just love Splatoon so much and they look like a unique character without being gimmicky.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm probably going to prefer Simon over Richter personally. His barbarian aesthetic isn't the prettiest, but I feel like that's part of the charm. Yeah I know I said I probably won't play K.Rool over other heavies because I think he's ugly I'm a hypocrite so sue me. Even amongst all of the other "realistic" human characters in the roster, Simon still manages to stand out visually. And what isn't cool about a "barbarian vampire hunter with throwing axes and a whip"? It's almost up there with "shapeshifting half-dragon prince(ss) with a magical chainsaw sword" and "mercenary space wolf with a pointy laser gun" levels of cool.

Anyway my vote goes for Ridley. As a Charizard main, I'm sure you can all imagine why. I'm sure he'll fit right into my already wide arsenal of pocket characters.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I voted for Inkling, after tossing up between them, K. Rool and Dark Samus.

K.Rool had my favourite reveal by far, but I just love Splatoon so much and they look like a unique character without being gimmicky.
Same.
Honestly, as much as I love K. Rool, and even if my boy Geno got it, I might end up maining Inkling. Something about their character just resonates with me (in General, not just Smash), and I love their gimmick.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I voted for Inkling, they look super fun to play. Also "Woomy"
Not to mention that in my opinion, their trailer is still the most hype out of all of the ones we got so far...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That said, I really don't think anyone is gonna come close to beating K. Rool in the poll, because everything surrounding his inclusion was legendary tbh
So I figure he'd be the most popular choice

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I'm in the minority on this, but I think her trailer was just right

Probably helps it happened in almost the exact way I thought it would, though
Have you ever seen Ant Man? And how they were only able to get one other Marvel universe character from a different movie to appear (the red hawk dude)? That's kind of what the trailer felt like to me when they showed the Smash footage: very bare with respect to the actual Smash stuff
Also, they just kind of threw her in there without any interactions with Smash characters in the reveal cutscene. I heard one of Alpharad's friends suggest Ridley was at the door instead of the postman; that would've been hilarious

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Are there any characters that if they get in you'll be set for life? (or at least one Smash cycle)

Honestly if I can get Rex/Pyra/Mythra in DLC for Ultimate or even just Elma I will be set. I don't think we need 3 reps from Xenoblade. (even though I would love it lol) unless the next XC comes out before the next Smash and is absurdly popular. I'll still push for Rex in the next game if just Elma gets into Ultimate but I won't be upset at all if he doesn't get in :)
I don't think I'll ever be truly satisfied, but honestly if we ever got Marina Liteyears I don't think I'd be able to ask for anything again. Not even Travis Touchdown or Phoenix Wright. I'd just give up.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Who are you guys most excited for so far? Personally for me it’s King K Rool. K Rool and the Ice climbers were the only characters not in smash 4 I wanted from this game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
November 2:
Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros Ultimate Set
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Edition GameCube Controller
GameCube Controller Adapter
November 3:
Nintendo Live 2018 Tokyo

I wish this meant anything but it doesn't.

Have you ever seen Ant Man? And how they were only able to get one other Marvel universe character from a different movie to appear (the red hawk dude)? That's kind of what the trailer felt like to me when they showed the Smash footage: very bare with respect to the actual Smash stuff
Also, they just kind of threw her in there without any interactions with Smash characters in the reveal cutscene. I heard one of Alpharad's friends suggest Ridley was at the door instead of the postman; that would've been hilarious
Yeah, that would have been funny honestly.

Though throwing Ridley into bizarre scenarios would make anything a bit more hilarious.
It's already been established by Villager's stuff that they get directly invited by mail there though, so it was probably just a callback

(Also, I pictured Ridley as a postman when you said that which is probably not what you meant but I like it better)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If I were to add ken this is what Id do

Up B : Multhit with fire effects. Imagine an SRK version of roys up b. Goes further horizontally than Ryus.
Side B : Multhit and goes far less distance than Ryus. Hits either once, twice or three times depending on if you normal ver is, hold it or just special input it. Also has A LOT less end lag than Ryu so you can combo out of it
neutral b : red fire ball is gone. hadouken is weaker and slower than ryus and smaller
down b : works p much the same but ken does his SF4 focus attack kick animation rather than ryus punch
Fsmash : his far HK from the games rather than a donkey kick
Heavy Ftilt : his special kicks from the game. This one is slightly slower and does a lil more shield damage
light Ftilt : his special kick from the game. Far better than ryus ftilt and faster
Jab : does his special combo from SF4. Only hits twice rather than three times
Rolls : rather than back dashing or forward dashing Ken does his Alpha rolls
Final Smash far : Ken does his spin kick ultra from SF4. Up close he does his fire srk from SF4 and alpha
intro : Similar to Ryu but he rolls his shoulder and says "im ready for ya bring it on!" if in 4 player or more he just walks in
win animation 1 : does his animation from SF4 where he kicks the screen a few times
Win animation 2 : does his win animation from SFV
Win animation 3 : Stands there as his wife runs and hugs him like his ending in SF2
Taunt 1 : does his iconic peace sign
Taunt 2 : Motions at the opponent saying "come on!"
Taunt 3 : thumbs down his opponent with a grin
vivsual differences : has a more peppy idle like his SF4 and SF5 counterpart. When he runs he has fire effects on his feet like when he runs in SFV. His heavy variant of his side b and up b at fire effects to it. He also just comes off as more energetic. While al ot of his moves are similar to ryu in his normals they all use Kens animations from SF4 and SFV so they look slightly different. Ken also has his pallete swaps from SF2 like Ryu does. His animations for his normals are all based mostly off of SF4 and SFV
Nice post. I like the win animation ideas.

The only attack that I somewhat struggle to replace is Ryu's Up-Air. The only thing Ken has done that would somewhat fit without going out of character would be his jumping light kick from Street Fighter 5.

I'm really hoping to see the white gi and black gi palettes:

Also, since everyone's expecting a direct soon. INB4 Ken Echo, "stole" some other character's spot. :troll:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Toad. One of the last true Nintendo All Stars and pretty much my biggest desire in any video game. Been supporting him since Smash 64(or Melee online) and with each new release he becomes a more glaring omission, particularly as the rest of Nintendo pushes him forward with the likes of Treasure Tracker, 3D World, Odyssey, Super Mario Run(worked for Daisy), his brethren appearances in New Super Mario Bros and even being Nintendo's mobile mascot. Did you know he's even had four unique titles as the lead protagonist, not to mention various ports of those titles?

Let my suffering end already and put him in.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
The vote was really difiicult for me, I wanna try all of them, except for Inkling...
It was a close call between K.Rool, Ridley and Richter, voted the latter, because he has the "didn't know I really wanted it, before I knew it existed" vibe, which makes him feel more fresh to me, than the other two...
If I had to rank them:
>Fantastic<
1. Richter
2. K.Rool
3. Ridley
>Great<
4. Dark Samus
5. Daisy
6. Chrom
7. Isabelle
8. Simon
>Meh<
9.Inkling

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
K. Rool is my most hyped character, even if Inklings were my most wanted just ahead of him. But nothing will ever beat hearing that

*BOOM*

And seeing the screen shake on the 8.8 Direct and thinking in the back of my mind "Something BIG is coming... could it be?".

The one time I'm right about a character hint and it's the Kapitan himself. Glorious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toad isn't likely to get in anymore, but he's got a major upgrade from the last few roles he's gotten... And since Ultimate adressed quite a lot of deconfirmed characters from Smash 4, I say Toad is just about THE most likely character to be upgraded into his own moveset in the game after Ultimate. Yeah, I know, it's still depressing for you Toad supporters, but look at the signals and the patterns, and I think you have way more to work with than you realise.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Voted for K Rool. Didn't have any particular investment in the character, but it didn't matter: everything about his reveal was perfect. The only thing better was Ridley's splash card.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
For me, it was a toss-up between Ridley and one of the Belmont Boys in terms of which newcomer I'm looking most forward to. As a huge Metroid fan, Ridley's reveal gave me chills for all the right reasons, plus he was one of my long-wanted characters for Smash ever since Melee. The Castlevania trailers were so great as well though, and Richter's reveal honestly surprised me more than Ridley's, if only because I never expected him to appear with Simon as an Echo Fighter.

Honestly, both look incredibly fun in my opinion, but in terms of how they fight, the Belmont Boys edge Ridley out by the slightest of margins for me, and as Richter's reveal shocked me more than Simon's, I voted for Richter.

I am really interested in all the newcomers though, so the choice ultimately was a tough one for me.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This post had some factual errors that I would probably keep getting corrected for, so delete please, thanks

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm not gonna lie, 06 probably has the greatest soundtrack in the entire Sonic series (Except for Adventure 2 of course, there's no way you can beat "Escape from the City" or "E.G.G.M.A.N.")
SA has a much better Soundtrack than SA2.

SA2's soundtrack is great, but there's little to no variety. It's 80%-90% rock. Adventure has a lot more variety too it while still being just as catchy.

And 06 is definitely one of the best OSTs in the series. I'd say Unleashed is right up there, too.

It technically does, if the direct doesn't come out by November 2, that means the box theory is busted
Also, no it doesn't. The box that is the base for the box theory isn't the Switch box.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
November 2:
Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros Ultimate Set
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Edition GameCube Controller
GameCube Controller Adapter
November 3:
Nintendo Live 2018 Tokyo

I wish this meant anything but it doesn't.
Ah... wonderful. I can't wait for next week...this is going a wonderful fire to watch ignite

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Verge kinda ruined the suprise, but nothing will ever surpass the reveal of Ridley for me. The seemingly impossible odds of Sakurai changing his mind about the character who wouldn't be himself if he were smaller made E3 2018 one of the best I've had in years.

Too big to be forgotten.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
K. Rool is my most hyped character, even if Inklings were my most wanted just ahead of him. But nothing will ever beat hearing that

*BOOM*

And seeing the screen shake on the 8.8 Direct and thinking in the back of my mind "Something BIG is coming... could it be?".

The one time I'm right about a character hint and it's the Kapitan himself. Glorious.
Oh man, thinking back on that incredible trailer. It was better since I had no idea he was coming. Ridley was awesome beyond reason, but Vergy leaked him. K. Rool just showed up.

I loved how the trailer played too. I knew something was coming with the banging, but I didn’t think who. I just thought that we’d gotten a unique and three echoes already, and we were getting another?!

Then an awesome pic of Mario vs Bowser. Cool. Then Link and Zelda vs the Dorf. And that’s when I knew: they’re showing villains. Is this K. Rool?!?

I was definitely on the ‘we won’t get K. Rool so soon after Ridley’ train so it was incredible to see it happen. Now to see if this final direct can top the last one...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad isn't likely to get in anymore, but he's got a major upgrade from the last few roles he's gotten... And since Ultimate adressed quite a lot of deconfirmed characters from Smash 4, I say Toad is just about THE most likely character to be upgraded into his own moveset in the game after Ultimate. Yeah, I know, it's still depressing for you Toad supporters, but look at the signals and the patterns, and I think you have way more to work with than you realise.
Thanks Diddy, I needed that.

Current question:

Chrom, much to my surprise. I was staunchly anti Chrom last time even though Awakening was my first Fire Emblem as I felt he didn't offer much and I always preferred Robin.

Well that reversed recently. I liked Roy's moves as useless as they are, Smash Chrom is Roy but less wonky and I recently got Fire Emblem Warriors that reminded me of how fun Chrom could be. Isabelle and Inklings are close but right now Chrom is...well, king for me.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Unless Geno gets revealed, I'm going all in on Richter. After being a Castlevania nut and having the surprise of Simon absolutely soiled by both Verge and Nintendo Themselves, seeing my favorite Belmont of the entire series come up to give me an ACTUAL wake up call was an amazing feeling.

Inklings are wicked fun from when I played them at E3, though. God that was so long ago now, I want to play more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom