• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Do you guys think Incineroar, Ken and Geno (considering he might be the Square rep from Verge's source) are the last fighters? Or do you expect some other unleaked surprises? I'm expecting at least one more echo alongside Ken, but i'm not too sure about other original fighters. I don't think Steve will make into the base roster, because you know, 103 stages.
Could still easily be 108.
Surprising us with 5 more really isn't as out of the realm of possibility as people make it seem.

Also, because the ballot happened in 2015, when the larger gaming sphere didn't give a crap about Nintendo, all the hardcore Nintendo fans were the primary ones to vote in the ballot. I imagine the type of results for the ballot from three years ago and a ballot taking place next year would be very different.

I can understand silent support, but enough silent support for Dark Samus to beat so many other potential characters? If this was a game like Smash 4 where they add a bunch of random-*** characters like Bowser Jr. and Wii Fit Trainer, I could see the logic, but Ultimate, where there's such tight room to squeeze in? It's baffling. I just wish we had the actual numbers, but then if we did, people would just get even more pissed off. Guess it'll just remain a mystery.

You bring up a point that I've mentioned once or twice in the past: Dark Samus is a bad name. When Nintendo already has so many other "Dark" or "Shadow" characters, especially ones like Dark Pit, hearing "Dark Samus" makes the character sound unoriginal. When, in fact, she's one of the most unique characters I've ever seen for a variety of reasons.

I feared that Dark Samus's announcement would face immediate backlash since Dark Pit poisoned the well, but I haven't seen any negativity, surprisingly. It seems that Dark Samus's incredible model and animation work have really impressed people, including those who don't know what she is at all, rather than make them upset that she got in over other potential candidates. It's a relief, I'll say that.
Bowser Jr....?
...random...?

Chief called...this ain't it

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Do you guys think Incineroar, Ken and Geno (considering he might be the Square rep from Verge's source) are the last fighters? Or do you expect some other unleaked surprises? I'm expecting at least one more echo alongside Ken, but i'm not too sure about other original fighters. Plus, i don't think Steve will make into the base roster, because you know, 103 stages.
I expect Ken, Incineroar, Geno, Shadow, maybe Steve? and one more character no one here guessed or leaked

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ultimate: Richter
You crazy, boy? Richter's been getting way more attention than the dude he was cloned from. If it comes down to the Castlevania reps, Simon is the underdog for sure.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you guys think Incineroar, Ken and Geno (considering he might be the Square rep from Verge's source) are the last fighters? Or do you expect some other unleaked surprises? I'm expecting at least one more echo alongside Ken, but i'm not too sure about other original fighters. Plus, i don't think Steve will make into the base roster, because you know, 103 stages.
All signs really point to 2 characters left or base so I've accepted that. With DLC, I don't know and am willing to wait until we see trailers cause I need to be sold on the characters

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really wish they thought of something more clever for Dark Samus's name. "Dark Samus" really undersells just how cool a concept it is. A superorganism that possesses Samus's discarded armor and organically fuses with it being a nigh unstoppable force.

Phazon Parasite, Varia Prime, Parasite Armor, Corrupted Suit, hell even just calling it "Phazon" would be more memorable to the outside world than "Dark Samus."

osby

Smash Obsessed
You crazy, boy? Richter's been getting way more attention than the dude he was cloned from. If it comes down to the Castlevania reps, Simon is the underdog for sure.
Um, I thought he was the only one who didn't talked about much before his reveal. Did I mixed up the meaning of underdog?

Nothing could be worse than the massive salt after Corrin and Bayonetta's reveal.
Just wait until this DLC rolls in and finishes.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I really wish they thought of something more clever for Dark Samus's name. "Dark Samus" really undersells just how cool a concept it is. A superorganism that possesses Samus's discarded armor and organically fuses with it being a nigh unstoppable force.

Phazon Parasite, Varia Prime, Parasite Armor, Corrupted Suit, hell even just calling it "Phazon" would be more memorable to the outside world than "Dark Samus."
Concept of Xander Mobus bellowing "CORRUPTED SUIT" is making me lose it

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
  1. Pink Diddy alt missing, just like Samus' dark alt and Ike's Chrom alt
  2. Diddy's new jab has no tail, posssibly for Dixie
We haven't seen all of Diddy's alts, he isn't in the playable demo and Diddy's jab in the trailer is his short jab. His long jab is probably still the tail.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Um, I thought he was the only one who didn't talked about much before his reveal. Did I mixed up the meaning of underdog?
Oh, you mean before they were revealed. I thought you meant just, like, who ain't gettin' talked about that much.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Simon was most definitely THE Castlevania rep, with any other potential reps on the sidelines while he was still unconfirmed. Richter never even had a support thread here. After Simon and only him getting revealed MAYBE Richter's support would've risen, but as it stood his reveal came out of nowhere

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wasn't the magazine updated saying 103 though?

Besides not like it matters since we're still gonna get stages through DLC for sure.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I kinda wonder what's your standards for random characters if second most recurring villain of Mario and face of one of the most successful consoles of Nintendo are that.
I forgot that Bowser Jr. was in the New Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario Galaxy. I only remembered him from Sunshine and maybe a few other appearances. So that's my mistake.

Wii Fit sold a lot, but to the super casual audience. Adults who were conscious about their health, not gamers waiting to buy the next Smash game. Wii Fit being in Smash 4 is, the way I see it, more a reflection of the console it was developed for, the Wii U, which was also targeted towards the casual market.

Because Sakurai does consider the console and its audience when he makes the games. Melee was fast because Sakurai chose to target the hardcore audience. Brawl was slower because the Wii was targeting a casual audience, so he made it slower to make it more accessible. Smash 4 was also not as fast as Melee because of the small size of the 3DS screen making fast movement a pain to track. Now he's developing for the Switch, which has targeted the hardcore audience for the first time since the GameCube, and Sakurai is forging the game appropriately.

Hence, Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool. All characters that appeal to the hardcore audience, but Joe Schmoe doesn't know who any of them are. Same with Dark Samus.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can I turn this into a forum game (if it counts as a game)? Who do you think is the biggest underdog newcomer in every Smash game (64,Melee,Brawl,For,For DLC and Ultimate until now)?
64- :falcon64: or :jigglypuff64:
Melee- :marthmelee:/:roymelee:
Brawl- :wolf:
4- :4darkpit:
Ultimate- :ultdaisy:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't think she needs a fancy name. Her most used form supposed to not represent what she really is, but one that stole from Samus.

It plays with your expectations, similar to what Dark Pit does, but a lot more effectively, since she actually have nothing to do with Samus.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If there are indeed still going to be 108 stages I'd imagine Yoshi's Crafted World stage being among those due to the lack of Yoshi's Woolly World stage.

Also an Alola stage as well and maybe the Monster Hunter Stage and Overworld (Due to there said to be Minecraft representation).

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I heard that Simon is more popular in the West, while Richter is more popular in Japan (which makes sense, given that Rondo of Blood only got butchered ports in the West until the PSP port). So by including both, both groups get their Castlevania favorites. The same way Chrom and Dark Samus apparently were meant to appeal to Japanese and Western audiences, respectively.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rhythm Heaven Stage/Kirby Stage/Monster Hunter Stage
Overworld
Pokemon Sun and Moon Stage
SMRPG Stage
Yoshi's Crafted World Stage

If I had to predict.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Rhythm Heaven Stage/Kirby Stage/Monster Hunter Stage
Overworld
Pokemon Sun and Moon Stage
SMRPG Stage
Yoshi's Crafted World Stage

If I had to predict.
They should've saved Crafty Yoshi to be revealed in a direct. They probably meant to reveal it with the stage.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
From what I recall Crafted Yoshi as a costume for Yoshi was a leak.
Nah, Source Gaming asked for the high quality renders and that's how we got em. I believe anyone could've done it but SG did it first.

There was a big hissy fit on twitter about them not being credited for bringing those renders to light by Nintendo Everything.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I see this going down one of two ways in my head-

1) "We hope you enjoy Ken and Incineroar, the last two fighters for Smash Ultimate... well, we have one last thing to show you." Geno is the new Mewtwo, via online subscription bonus.

OR

2) Incineroar reveal, transition to Ken reveal, transition to Shadow reveal. Mid-way into the direct, reveal someone less expected (Bandana Dee as the most popular Japan character, to meet Ridley as most desired character in the West and K. Rool as alleged ballot winner? Elma or Rex to hype up the now-popular Xenoblade series? Who really knows?). Wrap up all content on the game. "We have one last thing to show you..." Geno makes base game. DLC will only be revealed a time after base game release.

I know it's a trend for Smash to end on """""""less exciting""""""" reveals, but something about Ultimate ending on Ken and a Pokemon just feels... fishy. Geno and Shadow both feel unavoidable to me, but if I had to pick only one based on 'evidence' it'd be Geno, given we're 85% likely to have a new Squeenix rep in the pipeline.

Bare minimum I expect Incineroar, Ken, Shadow, and Geno. Maybe one more, to match Melee's 14 newcomers with 6 of them being clones (*echoes, trademark copyright*).

Even in the worst-case scenario of just Kencineroar, this game is going to rock.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nah, Source Gaming asked for the high quality renders and that's how we got em. I believe anyone could've done it but SG did it first.

There was a big hissy fit on twitter about them not being credited for bringing those renders to light by Nintendo Everything.
Ah thanks for the correction then.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

But does that mean the renders were "officially announced?"

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Geno being dlc doesn't make sense. He was clearly on Sakurai's mind when the project plan was made receiving a mii costume to tide over players just like K. Rool.
As a 3rd-party, the Sonic situation exists where Squeenix may not have agreed initially, but rather than delay the game like Brawl the option for DLC exists this time. It's a very real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom