• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What if:
>Final Fantasy gets 32 songs
>All of them are from FFXIII
My reaction?

Regardless of the situation that was a character that took development time to make.

Reused assets or not, Chorm is someone who needed to be modeled, rigged, and balanced.

Also push come to shove like with :ultbayonetta: &:ultcloud: it is possible to take assets from preexisting things and make something new.

That's the great thing about working with models and 3D work in general. You don't have to start over 'From Scratch" all the time. In a lot of cases not all mind you but a lot of the time, you just need to do something once. That one thing can be alternated in anyway you wish from then on out. Don't fall for PR speak.
Thing is, it doesn't really matter since all of the factors that made Chrom a favourable choice for Sakurai doesn't apply to any Xenoblade character back when the roster was finalised which is why the comparison between FE and Xenoblade for the base roster falls flat. The roster direction for this game simply doesn't favour a Xenoblade character for the base roster and thus there really is no reason to expect one for the base roster. Chrom and Rex/Elma are simply not comparable.

Pakky

Smash Hero
"balanced" Here is some interesting facts about echoes...
That they can be anything that exists ion the game already but not from just one character.

:ultike:+:ultroy:=:ultchrom:

Therefore the combination of multiple things would still need balancing, or is that incorrect?

My reaction?

Thing is, it doesn't really matter since all of the factors that made Chrom a favourable choice for Sakurai doesn't apply to any Xenoblade character back when the roster was finalised which is why the comparison between FE and Xenoblade for the base roster falls flat. The roster direction for this game simply doesn't favour a Xenoblade character for the base roster and thus there really is no reason to expect one for the base roster. Chrom and Rex/Elma are simply not comparable.
Do we know this?

We don't know what the man is thinking and in the final hour things presumably can be cobbled together. :sonic:

Last edited:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So general consensus seems to be a direct is likely happening soon. When is everybody betting on this happening? I'm think possibly this week or next week at the latest.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
So general consensus seems to be a direct is likely happening soon. When is everybody betting on this happening? I'm think possibly this week or next week at the latest.
The week of November 8th or right after

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Let’s all repeat the mantra, it’s only a video game. And if you think you’re gonna go into the video game and recapture your childhoods, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.
You mean Smash Ultimate won't turn us all into kids, right all wrongs, cure all diseases and fix world hunger?

What planet are you on? :troll:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That they can be anything that exists ion the game already but not from just one character.

:ultike:+:ultroy:=:ultchrom:

Therefore the combination of multiple things would still need balancing, or is that incorrect?
Sure, but a unique character would require a ton of more balancing, so I don't know what are we discussing.

Let’s all repeat the mantra, it’s only a video game. And if you think you’re gonna go into the video game and recapture your childhoods, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.
Characters won't bring my long gone childhood? Then why the **** they are in the game?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I never had a childhood, I was dropped off by aliens at age 21

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Um... that's kinda Smash's thing. Ya know--playing with video game characters, like playing with childhood toys.

Watching Sakurai treat your childhood characters better than Microsoft ever could...

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sure, but a unique character would require a ton of more balancing, so I don't know what are we discussing.
As would an echo presumably,no? Depending on what combination of parts they have. Seeing as how echo can mean just about anything.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gotta say, a Direct in November is a bit of a weight off. Now I won't spend the next week being like "it's gotta be today..."

D

Deleted member

As would an echo no? Depending on what combination of parts they have. Seeing as how echo can mean just about anything.
Pretty sure echoes need the exact same movement stats as their base character, which is why Dr. Amigo isn't one. I've also heard echoes are designed so they only need to be balanced relative to their base character rather than the entire roster, but I'm going to need a source for that one.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Um... that's kinda Smash's thing. Ya know--playing with video game characters, like playing with childhood toys.

Watching Sakurai treat your childhood characters better than Microsoft ever could...
I mean, yeah, but some people are taking this too seriously, like Smash owes them their nostalgia or something.

As would an echo no? Depending on what combination of parts they have. Seeing as how echo can mean just about anything.
"Sharing all of their stats and attacks with other fighters" isn't "just about everything".

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
CosmicQuark, post: 22574209, member: 403813"]Um... that's kinda Smash's thing. Ya know--playing with video game characters, like playing with childhood toys.

Smash isn't just a celebration of nostalgic video games, it's a celebration of all video games, old and new...
Also, I'll have you know that I enjoy Nuts & Bolts more than the OG Banjo games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You say that as if FFXIII had a bad ost when Blinded by light exist
Yeah but that means we won't get Battle Against the Four Fiends, Battle at the Big Bridge, Battle to the Death nor this banger
man why do all the good FF songs have battle in them?
It's really disappointing to have all this music so close yet so far because FF still only has two songs

D

Deleted member

Yeah but that means we won't get Battle Against the Four Fiends, Battle at the Big Bridge, Battle to the Death nor this banger
man why do all the good FF songs have battle in them?
It's really disappointing to have all this music so close yet so far because FF still only has two songs
Needs more Man With The Machine Gun.

Even if we did get more music, it would probably be limited to FFVII.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Gotta say, a Direct in November is a bit of a weight off. Now I won't spend the next week being like "it's gotta be today..."
Usually I wait to see if they announce anything on Sunday. if not, I assume there's no news for the week.

Works fine for mewhen you are busy with a job, relationships, etc.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What if my childhood was the Brawl speculation scene and I'm having the time of my life? What then?!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash isn't just a celebration of nostalgic video games, it's a celebration of all video games, old and new...
Also, I'll have you know that I enjoy Nuts & Bolts more than the OG Banjo games.
I think you meant "old and Splatoon". ;)

Don't want to sound ungrateful but I need new Nintendo franchises other than that, please, my crops are dying.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It's because he could work as both DLC and base game, while other characters people want, such as a RH rep or Elma, are probably out for good if they aren't in base game. I still think Geno is base however.
Gosh, that low a chance, huh? I wonder if maybe they could be an exception to "popular DLC choices" if they barely missed being in the base game again. If they're in the base, maybe they're a surprise last character choice that avoided getting leaked or wouldn't be expected?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Pretty sure echoes need the exact same movement stats as their base character, which is why Dr. Amigo isn't one. I've also heard echoes are designed so they only need to be balanced relative to their base character rather than the entire roster, but I'm going to need a source for that one.
But then :ultdarksamus: has a different dodge. Is that statically the same as :ultsamus: dodge?

Genuine question.

"Sharing all of their stats and attacks with other fighters" isn't "just about everything".
But wouldn't being an echo of :ultroy: but with parts like :ultike: make you different statically?

Also being :ultmarth: but balanced throughout like :ultlucina: would effectively make you different from the base, would it not?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
But then :ultdarksamus: has a different dodge. Is that statically the same as :ultsamus: dodge?

Genuine question.
We don't know, because it's hard to compare them without game being out properly. Everyone says :ultdarksamus: is better, but I don't think you can deduct the certain numbers just by looking at the animations.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You're saying it like we can have arguments about Fire Emblem that's not heated.
Ogma as a Cloud echo with Simon's Axe and Ike's Counter. You heard it here first, folks.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah, actually, can someone refresh me on what the differences between :ultdarksamus: and :ultsamus: are that we've seen? Sakurai touted that her and Chrom are at least a little different than their counterparts, and that's more than apparent with :ultchrom:, but I swear I can barely tell what Sam and Evil Sam have different from each other.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think you meant "old and Splatoon". ;)

Don't want to sound ungrateful but I need new Nintendo franchises other than that, please, my crops are dying.
Well, they can start by adding ARMS and RH because other than that, that's all that they really have in that department currently...
Please Nintendo, make some new riveting franchises... You can't rely on your old ones forever

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You said "childhood toys", intead of just "toys", so that might have cause a misunderstanding.
It's a reference to Smash 64. :p I wasn't implying only childhood characters... I simply said video game characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The roll differences are just aesthetic. It being faster than Samus' roll was just a placebo.

As far as I know, Dark Samus is in the same boat as Daisy and Richter as far as having no non-aesthetic differences so far.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't know much about this Crunchii but it sounds awfully similar to Chunky.

i.e. The OG Kong that deserves to be DK's Echo. Not that poser Funky. :smirk:

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
What if there is Undertale Rep in the new Smash, but it’s just the Tiny Bird that Flies You Over A Disporportionaly Small Gap as an assist trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom