• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So essentially every newcomer we're getting, minus a few exceptions from 3rd parties or those that came out in a game sometime late in Smash 4's development or afterward, has already been represented in smash one way or another?

This honestly seems to make sense. It definitely seems to boost the chances of characters like Skull Kid, Geno, Dillon, and definitely anyone from Rhythm Heaven.

Though, this would hurt the chances of the likes such as Bandana dee, making characters like Rayman seem like more likely characters.

I believe this may birth another theory.
Since it's looking at patterns of the previous game, does that make this A GAME THE--

*gets shot*

Shroob

Sup?
I've said this before, but every Smash Ultimate newcomer so far was majorly represented in Smash 4 (+previous Smash games), excluding the Castlevania duo for obvious reasons:
  • All had Wii U trophies (including Ken!)
  • All but Ridley had 3DS trophies (as his associated stage was Wii U only)
  • All 4 who had existed at the time were Brawl Trophies
  • All 3 who had existed at the time were Melee Trophies
  • 5/7 were Mii costumes
  • 2/7 were Assist Trophies
  • Ridley was a boss in Pyrosphere and Brawl's Subspace Emissary
For context, the following Brawl characters were trophies in Melee:
  1. Meta Knight
  2. Pit
  3. Zero Suit Samus (technically "Samus Unmasked")
  4. Wario
  5. Squirtle
  6. Charizard (also a Pokeball Pokemon in previous games)
  7. King Dedede (also appears as stage background)
  8. Olimar
  9. Wolf (technically Wolfen)
Additionally, Diddy was mentioned on Dixie's trophy (plus featured in the DK Rap), while Bulbasaur and Venusaur both have trophies that mention Ivysaur.

...and the following Smash 4 characters were trophies in Brawl or Melee:
  1. Villager
  2. Little Mac (Was also a full Assist Trophy)
  3. Palutena
  4. Bowser Jr.
  5. Duck Hunt (Trophy in Melee, Sticker in Brawl)
You will note that exempting third parties and the Miis, this is every character released at the time of each game's release, except for Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina who both came out very shortly before Brawl's (delayed) release.

With these very-partial-exceptions, no character who didn't even make Trophy has ever been brought on later as a full character.
So where does Pokemon factor into this logic, because you're a staunch defender of Verg+Box.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting multiple sources telling me that Non Specific Action Figure will be the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate newcomer.

Incineroar, Ken, and Geno were fake leaks planted by Nintendo themselves to hide this unbelievable surprise!
While I would be sad that Geno wasn't in the base roster, I would actually be totally OK with NSAF as the final reveal, especially because I am so sick of hearing about Incineroar and Ken. Now it's not that I don't want them, I just: 1) really, really, REALLY don't want them to be the final reveals, and 2) it would be so left field that I would play the crap out of him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So where does Pokemon factor into this logic, because you're a staunch defender of Verg+Box.
Incineroar was made after Smash 4, thus they aren't a part of the theory.

Same reason characters like Shulk don't go against it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've said this before, but every Smash Ultimate newcomer so far was majorly represented in Smash 4 (+previous Smash games), excluding the Castlevania duo for obvious reasons:
  • All had Wii U trophies (including Ken!)
  • All but Ridley had 3DS trophies (as his associated stage was Wii U only)
  • All 4 who had existed at the time were Brawl Trophies
  • All 3 who had existed at the time were Melee Trophies
  • 5/7 were Mii costumes
  • 2/7 were Assist Trophies
  • Ridley was a boss in Pyrosphere and Brawl's Subspace Emissary
For context, the following Brawl characters were trophies in Melee:
  1. Meta Knight
  2. Pit
  3. Zero Suit Samus (technically "Samus Unmasked")
  4. Wario
  5. Squirtle
  6. Charizard (also a Pokeball Pokemon in previous games)
  7. King Dedede (also appears as stage background)
  8. Olimar
  9. Wolf (technically Wolfen)
Additionally, Diddy was mentioned on Dixie's trophy (plus featured in the DK Rap), while Bulbasaur and Venusaur both have trophies that mention Ivysaur.

...and the following Smash 4 characters were trophies in Brawl or Melee:
  1. Villager
  2. Little Mac (Was also a full Assist Trophy)
  3. Palutena
  4. Bowser Jr.
  5. Duck Hunt (Trophy in Melee, Sticker in Brawl)
You will note that exempting third parties and the Miis, this is every character released at the time of each game's release, except for Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina who both came out very shortly before Brawl's (delayed) release.

With these very-partial-exceptions, no character who didn't even make Trophy has ever been brought on later as a full character.
One thing to note: Ultimate draws heavily from characters that particularly popular among Smash fans. Appearing in previous games can help this, obviously less with plain trophies but still.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know were long away from talking about Infinity War but I just couldn't resist doing this. :laugh:

:ultluigi:: Bro, I don't'a'feel so good...
:ultmario:: Are you'a'alright?
:ultluigi:: I don't'a'know. I don't'a'know what's happening.
*Hugs Mario*
:ultluigi:: I don't'a' wanna go. I don't'a'wanna go...Bro, please I don't'a'wanna go...I don't'a'wanna go...
*Mario helps Luigi to the ground to lay down*
:ultluigi:: I'm'a'sorry.
*Luigi dusts*

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
I know were long away from talking about Infinity War but I just couldn't resist doing this. :laugh:

*Hugs Mario*
:ultluigi:: I don't'a' wanna go. I don't'a'wanna go...Bro, please I don't'a'wanna go...I don't'a'wanna go...
*Luigi dusts*
In reality, it'd be the other way around and Luigi would vacuum up the dust and give it E. Gadd for science.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Interesting.
Basically...

Did 1st party character exist at the time of the previous Smash game?

If yes, did they get a trophy or some other role?

If not, they are unlikely (though :ultdiddy::ultrob: prove it isn't impossible).

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Basically...

If not, they are unlikely (though :ultdiddy::ultrob: prove it isn't impossible).
It's more of if the 1st party character existed before said smash game, or at least if the game said first party character was already well into development by the time said Smash game's development started, then they must have had a trophy in the previous smash game to be considered a likely candidate for the current.

Pokemon that are of the most recent Gen are excused from this as in most cases, they didn't exist until after the last Smash Bros. Game was released.
Most 3rd parties are exempt from this rule as well, but representation in a previous smash game still boosts their chances.
Characters that came into existence after the last Smash game are also exempt from this.

Sweet Taro, this really is a new theory, isn't it?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well Lyn's been an assist trophy for a decade now, so I guess that makes her thrice as likely to be in Smash 6!

...Right?
I mean, Lyn is unlikely to ever be significant enough to be made a playable character, but as someone who made the B-team every single game, she has a way better shot than the losers who didn't.

I'm gonna parse this out a bit:
  • Pokemon is entirely consistent with this. Lucario, Greninja, and now possibly a Gen 7 Pokemon did not exist when previous games were made. It's no different than, say, Fire Emblem.
  • I don't really feel anything special towards Verg's information. However, it is the only noteworthy "leak" that isn't bonkers. We're definitely getting Ken and probably getting a Pokemon, so if he says Incineroar, okay sure why not.
  • I'm a "defender" of the official box in the game in the same way that I'm a "defender" of the Directs. Which you'd think wouldn't be a position that has to be assumed, but lo and behold...
I typed out a ranked list of the 40 non-Pokemon humanoid characters that have been featured in at least 3 previous Smash games, but Smashboards ate it. Most are deconfirmed, and the only character on the list (at the top) who is featured as much or more than Daisy/Ridley/Dark Samus/K. Rool is Skull Kid.

Sweet Taro, this really is a new theory, isn't it?
This isn't a "theory", it's common sense. This isn't even the first time I've posted this, and I'm sure other people have.

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I know that the release is close, but is anyone actually losing hype from the waiting of a new Smash Direct?
We all did, the media outlet did. Is not just you, we havent had any real new information since the very start of august and we are almost november, which is 3 months (only isabelle announced). Sakurai announcement of less influx of info and we are basically one month away.

All these combined want it or not sends a message: we are not getting much more of what we already have. which sent a huge wave to all the people expecting hyper crazy stuff.

So either we are getting minimal *new* stuff (what we all expected) with maybe a nice bone (some unexpected newcomer) or sakurai totally trolled us because they are announcing some bombs but im 95% we all know what we are getting. Tbh i just wanna play the game already, that has me wayyyyyy more hype than the actual reveal at this point.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I know that the release is close, but is anyone actually losing hype from the waiting of a new Smash Direct?
Losing hype for what might be in the Direct? Every day.

Losing hype for the actual game? Virtually impossible--I was sold at E3. Everything else is just icing.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Additions (and returning characters) by returning series:

Mario - Daisy, New Donk City Hall, 2 Mario costumes, Super Launch Star
Donkey Kong - King K. Rool, Klaptrap
Zelda - Young Link, BotW Link redesign, Zelda redesign, Great Plateau Tower, Moon
Metroid - Ridley, Dark Samus
Yoshi -
Star Fox - Wolf, Krystal
Kirby - Bomber, Chef Kawasaki
Pokemon - Pichu, Pokemon Trainer, 13 Pokeball Pokemon
F-Zero -
Earthbound - Ramblin' Evil Mushroom
Ice Climbers - Ice Climbers
Fire Emblem - Chrom, Killing Edge
Game & Watch -
Kid Icarus - Staff
Wario (Ware) -
Metral Gear Solid - Snake, Grey Fox
Sonic the Hedgehog - Knuckles
Pikmin - Burrowing Snagret
R.O.B. -
Animal Crossing - Isabelle, Kapp'n
Mega Man - Zero
Wii Fit -
Punch-Out!! -
PAC-MAN -
Xenoblade -
Duck Hunt -
Street Fighter - Ken
Final Fantasy -
Bayonetta - Rodin

Has anyone considered a Yarn Yoshi echo as DLC?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Zelda - Young Link, BotW Link redesign, Zelda redesign, Great Plateau Tower, Moon
Would Ike and Ganondorf's old design count as returning content? (or redesigns of Star Fox guys count as new content)

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman

Yoshi -
Star Fox - Wolf, Krystal
F-Zero -
Game & Watch -
Kid Icarus - Staff
Wario (Ware) -
R.O.B. -
Mega Man - Zero
Wii Fit -
Punch-Out!! -
PAC-MAN -
Xenoblade -
Duck Hunt -
Street Fighter - Ken
Final Fantasy -
Bayonetta - Rodin

Hasn't there already been a render shown of Yarn Yoshi as an alternate skin?

EDIT: Don't worry, my brain was just being a moron. I know it was Crafted World Yoshi.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Yoshi -
Star Fox - Wolf, Krystal
F-Zero -
Game & Watch -
Kid Icarus - Staff
Wario (Ware) -
R.O.B. -
Mega Man - Zero
Wii Fit -
Punch-Out!! -
PAC-MAN -
Xenoblade -
Duck Hunt -
Street Fighter - Ken
Final Fantasy -
Bayonetta - Rodin

Seems a bit pointless when his stage was axed, and now Crafted Yoshi's an alternate costume.

NineS

Smash Lord

Yoshi -
Star Fox - Wolf, Krystal
F-Zero -
Game & Watch -
Kid Icarus - Staff
Wario (Ware) -
R.O.B. -
Mega Man - Zero
Wii Fit -
Punch-Out!! -
PAC-MAN -
Xenoblade -
Duck Hunt -
Street Fighter - Ken
Final Fantasy -
Bayonetta - Rodin

I joked about it earlier, but I'm skeptical mainly due to the alt Yoshi is already getting:
Not exactly the same, yes, but extremely similar nonetheless.

:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean, Lyn is unlikely to ever be significant enough to be made a playable character, but as someone who made the B-team every single game, she has a way better shot than the losers who didn't.

I'm gonna parse this out a bit:
  • Pokemon is entirely consistent with this. Lucario, Greninja, and now possibly a Gen 7 Pokemon did not exist when previous games were made. It's no different than, say, Fire Emblem.
  • I don't really feel anything special towards Verg's information. However, it is the only noteworthy "leak" that isn't bonkers. We're definitely getting Ken and probably getting a Pokemon, so if he says Incineroar, okay sure why not.
  • I'm a "defender" of the official box in the game in the same way that I'm a "defender" of the Directs. Which you'd think wouldn't be a position that has to be assumed, but lo and behold...
I typed out a ranked list of the 40 non-Pokemon humanoid characters that have been featured in at least 3 previous Smash games, but Smashboards ate it. Most are deconfirmed, and the only character on the list (at the top) who is featured as much or more than Daisy/Ridley/Dark Samus/K. Rool is Skull Kid.

This isn't a "theory", it's common sense. This isn't even the first time I've posted this, and I'm sure other people have.
So essentially every newcomer we're getting, minus a few exceptions from 3rd parties or those that came out in a game sometime late in Smash 4's development or afterward, has already been represented in smash one way or another?

This honestly seems to make sense. It definitely seems to boost the chances of characters like Skull Kid, Geno, Dillon, and definitely anyone from Rhythm Heaven.

Though, this would hurt the chances of the likes such as Bandana dee, making characters like Rayman seem like more likely characters.

I believe this may birth another theory.
Thankfully (for me and others), what Thinkaman posted doesn't really effect Isaac's chances, because he at least had a trophy in Brawl. *wipes brow*

While I can't remember if Bandana Dee had a trophy in Smash 4, Waddle Dee as a species did (because they appeared in Smash Run).
Well Lyn's been an assist trophy for a decade now, so I guess that makes her thrice as likely to be in Smash 6!

...Right?

*Hugs Mario*
*Luigi dusts*
In reality, it'd be the other way around and Luigi would vacuum up the dust and give it E. Gadd for science.
I wonder if the dust that was once half the people of the MCU contains their genetic information.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Basically...

And even in Diddy's case he seemingly didn't get a trophy because of legal issues.

Shroob

Sup?
If Woolly World was kept around(Still zero idea why it was even cut unless it has to do with technical limitations), a Woolly Yoshi echo would have made too much sense.

But now the stage is gone because........ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Yoshi -
Star Fox - Wolf, Krystal
F-Zero -
Game & Watch -
Kid Icarus - Staff
Wario (Ware) -
R.O.B. -
Mega Man - Zero
Wii Fit -
Punch-Out!! -
PAC-MAN -
Xenoblade -
Duck Hunt -
Street Fighter - Ken
Final Fantasy -
Bayonetta - Rodin

If you're asking if anyone has considered a possible Yoshi character, the answer is yes Zinith Zinith .

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If Woolly World was kept around(Still zero idea why it was even cut unless it has to do with technical limitations), a Woolly Yoshi echo would have made too much sense.

But now the stage is gone because........ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Because according to Nintendo now the Wii U doesn't exist.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Which is a shame, as Splatoon has now made the jump to Switch, we need a purely Wii U IP to be represented. *thinks for a nanosecond* Wonderful 101. :upsidedown:
Hey, both Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta are made by Platinum Games. I think it could work.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, both Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta are made by Platinum Games. I think it could work.
Hey, Bayonetta was literally in Wonderful 101, and they were directed by the same guy, so it would be great having a character from that in Smash. #moreKamiyabias

We need the Wii U itself in the same vein as :ultrob:.
Yep. In order to attack you need to draw what you want to to the Wii U pad with joysticks.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Which is a shame, as Splatoon has now made the jump to Switch, we need a purely Wii U IP to be represented. *thinks for a nanosecond* Wonderful 101. :upsidedown:
Oh, I have a "Wii U only" character in mind...

Edit: GAH!!! Every image I try to pull up is broken...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminder that Game Freak could suddenly decide to release Pokémon games outside of Nintendo consoles if they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom