• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Those DK images make it seem like he has just as much white light as the Geno image.

I think the Rodin assist trophy on the blog may be a similar case, though with some noticeable thin lines that blurs could hide:

I especially noticed that the dark shadows on DK in the Peach's Castle stage don't seem to have any white lines, and there weren't much on Kongo Falls, so there not being any noticeable ones in the dark shade on Geno may be normal.

View attachment 170665
first time i seen a 2d sprite for somthing close in the background in this game i think... just pointing it out , also for the geno render so call leak , can any one post any character on the stage geno is on? (its eather the mario or zelda one.) then we can realy be sure.
It's Delfino Plaza, which doesn't have any gameplay pics save for that Rodin one.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Those DK images make it seem like he has just as much white light as the Geno image.

I think the Rodin assist trophy on the blog may be similar case, though with some noticeable thin lines that blurs could hide:

I especially noticed that the dark shadows on DK in the Peach's Castle stage don't seem to have any white lines, and there weren't much on Kongo Falls, so there not being any noticeable ones in the dark shade on Geno may be normal.

It's Delfino Plaza, which doesn't have any gameplay pics save for that Rodin one.
To piggyback on this.

It is certainly Delfino.

EDIT: Credit goes to the Geno Thread for finding that.

Last edited:

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice

I think the Rodin assist trophy on the blog may be similar case, though with some noticeable thin lines that blurs could hide:

thanks and the white lines are not as much visible in this stage i find
1535821529457.png

infact they are both visible in each image but just slightley on the left side of each photo

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of Gravity Falls, I actually have a lot of ideas for a "Smash Brothers Characters represented by Gravity Falls" meme video akin to those "X thing represented by Spongebob" memes and I'm really tempted to actually make it right now.

I've even found the perfect scene to use for Yoshi.
Tax Fraud.png
I'm so sorry Zinith.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I've honestly wondered why the shading/lighting's so inconsistent in this game. It looked great in Smash 4, but it can be pretty iffy in Ultimate. Is it something to do with Switch hardware limitations or something?

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Part of what the Fresnel is meant to do is simulate a more complicated material read. It's commonly used on fabric and skin to simulate surface microfibers. So you usually wouldn't put a strong Fresnel on smooth surfaces, like what I imagine the wood that Geno is made out of would be. You can see this if you look at R.O.B. on the main site. He has basically no rim effect under any lighting condition, because he's solid, smooth plastic with no microsurface fibers. Samus has a really weak rim effect, too, though hers is more prominent than ROB's.

As for the rimlight on Geno's hat and cape, I can't really tell if it's there or not. It looks like it's there a little bit on the camera left side of his hat and maybe the camera left side of his cape, but it could easily be color bleed from taking a photo of a screen. However, while looking at some other photos on the site for comparison, I've noticed that bright blue surfaces have fairly weak rim effects across the board.

I believe I have an explanation for that, as well as why some character have almost no rim light on one stage but super obvious rim lights on other stages.

I believe the Fresnel effect in Smash is being handled by multiplying the stage's ambient color on to the surface material's pre-calculated Fresnel. This causes dark stages, interior stages, or stages without one strong key light to have weaker rim light effects, while the strongest, most obvious rimlights are all on stages with bright blue skies. So I believe the ambient blue light is getting lost on blue materials.

Here's a picture of Wii Fit as an example

See how super obvious the rimlight is on her black pants, but very difficult to see at all on her blue shirt? It's definitely still there, it's just not as in your face obvious. If there's anywhere on the Geno image I think is most likely to be an actual Fresnel and not just color bleed, it'd be on the red-orange tassels of his hat.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I believe I can see the Fresnel on Geno's right (our left) strip of hair, as well as against the yellow of his collar, and perhaps his right ear. His left strip of hair seems to lack it, but as we've seen with other screenshots, the shading is really inconsistent, with even a decent amount of non-blue surfaces and dark surfaces not having the Fresnel at all.

The other light stuff seems to be normal light-sources bouncing off of him.

edit: plus, his hair seems to be flat like streamers, so I dunno if that would affect the Fresnel or not.

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I have found an Image of Isabelle at Delfino Plaza.
View attachment 170673
Smash Ultimate shading is inconsistent AF.
No no, inconsistent is not the right word. Happens that now smash utilizes PBR which utilizes shaders that responds/imitate to real life materials and lightning conditions/values. Which means if its sunset, if its high in the sky, if its at night, etc every light condition will make the outcome really distinct.

The white ish rim light that border some characters is a "fake fresnel" which could be used for several factors, such as a clearer readability of the characters, aesthetics or as "fake" bounce light.

This is why the leaks IMO are way harder to detect as fake since a model could look drastically different under different lightning conditions.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Part of what the Fresnel is meant to do is simulate a more complicated material read. It's commonly used on fabric and skin to simulate surface microfibers. So you usually wouldn't put a strong Fresnel on smooth surfaces, like what I imagine the wood that Geno is made out of would be. You can see this if you look at R.O.B. on the main site. He has basically no rim effect under any lighting condition, because he's solid, smooth plastic with no microsurface fibers. Samus has a really weak rim effect, too, though hers is more prominent than ROB's.

As for the rimlight on Geno's hat and cape, I can't really tell if it's there or not. It looks like it's there a little bit on the camera left side of his hat and maybe the camera left side of his cape, but it could easily be color bleed from taking a photo of a screen. However, while looking at some other photos on the site for comparison, I've noticed that bright blue surfaces have fairly weak rim effects across the board.

I believe I have an explanation for that, as well as why some character have almost no rim light on one stage but super obvious rim lights on other stages.

I believe the Fresnel effect in Smash is being handled by multiplying the stage's ambient color on to the surface material's pre-calculated Fresnel. This causes dark stages, interior stages, or stages without one strong key light to have weaker rim light effects, while the strongest, most obvious rimlights are all on stages with bright blue skies. So I believe the ambient blue light is getting lost on blue materials.

Here's a picture of Wii Fit as an example

See how super obvious the rimlight is on her black pants, but very difficult to see at all on her blue shirt? It's definitely still there, it's just not as in your face obvious. If there's anywhere on the Geno image I think is most likely to be an actual Fresnel and not just color bleed, it'd be on the red-orange tassels of his hat.
Real cool of you to pop into the discussion, you seem to have a lot of insight on this stuff. also kudos on your previous comparison showing ken's model vs ryu's model, solid work.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say guys, let's do a little fun thing. Say the Smashers live in a mansion. What personalities would you think they'd have, how they'd act overall and how they'd interact with others? Here are some examples from me.

Mario: A friendly guy who has a bit of an ego, and can seek attention sometimes, but has a good heart, nonetheless. He is often the voice of reason of the group, and has his usual bravery and is not afraid to help others if they are getting bullied. He also has a strong spirit.

Kirby: Unlike in Right Back At Ya, Kirby can actually speak. Kirby is fun loving and has a good nature, and is a bit childish and can get into trouble unintentionally in some way. Still, he is good at interacting with others and likes being called cute. However, he gets angry when others try to take his food from him. Before Smash Bros 4, Kirby kept sneaking into the kitchen to eat food, sometimes getting caught. Now, Kirby is constantly fighting another hungry Smasher, Pac-Man, over the food.

Sonic: While cocky and a bit arrogant, and carefree, Sonic is actually friendly for the most part. He loves having fun and partying, and often taunts his foes when he gets a chance. Sonic is also one to not easily back down unless he has to. He is normally exercising in his free time, mostly by running. Because of his cockiness, Sonic is rivals with fellow Smasher, Falco.

Mega Man: A weapons expect of the Smashers, Mega Man is someone who has a strong sense of justice, which is why he isis quick to help out those being harmed or bullied. Mega Man has a strong sense of right and wrong, but his lines about justice are often cliche, and they tend to bore his fellow Smashers.

Rover and Quackers (the Duck Hunt dog and duck, respectively): These two are the trolls of the Smash Bros group. They just love to pull pranks on others and laugh about it, or just laugh when another Smasher fails at doing something. They are always prepared when the others angrily come at them, and even when they to get them, they get back at the other Smasher the very next second. The other Smashers are annoyed at them for this.

Mewtwo: A rather unfriendly fellow, Mewtwo is rather arrogant, and does not get along with the others so well. In spite of this, he is usually in charge of most activities the Smashers take part in, such as parties or vacations. Mewtwo is quite intelligent as well, being a psychic Pokemon and all. Because he was replaced by him in Brawl, Mewtwo and Lucario have a rather bitter rivalry.

Pac-Man: An optimistic, happy go lucky kind of guy who is always friendly and cheerful, though he does not act that way around the bad guys in the Smasher crew. It can be hard to make him angry. Aside from liking to play Namco games, Pac-Man also has a huge appetite, and can get hungry easily. That said, Pac-Man is often fighting with Kirby over the food whenever the two try to sneak in the kitchen and catch a snack.

Wii Fit Trainer: An expert in nutrition and exercise, Wii Fit Trainer is always making suggestions to others on eating healthy things and getting the right kind of exercise. She does not like it when others eat unhealthy foods, such as Sonic eating chili dogs and Mario eating pasta. She is usually exercising, sometimes with other people in the mansion.

King K. Rool: K. Rool is the psycotic cruel member of the Smash Bros group who loves to play mind games with others when he can. He loves to taste others, but not bite parts of their bodies off, in battle. He prefers to be treated like royalty, much like King Dedede, and loves to set up traps for others, especially Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong.

Ridley: Ridley is the violent, evilish member of the group, who is brutal outside and in of battle. Because of this, the others tend to stay away from him, aside from Samus, who is always willing to deal with Ridley for obvious reasons. Ridley talks like a movie serial killer and loves to scare the other Smashers.

Ice Climbers: The lovely couple of the group, always seen together and spending time with each other. They do attack others when one of them is being bullied for whatever reason by other Smashers. Some of the Smashers think they are cute as a couple. As retro characters, they are rivals with Rover and Quackers, the Duck Hunt duo.

Daisy: Daisy is the tomboy of the Smash Bros group. She loves to play sports due to having been in many Mario sports games. She is also great friends with Rosalina, Peach, and to an extent, Zelda (which kind of annoys Peach, since she and Zelda are rivals). She will always attack others who try to ruin flowers, especially those in her garden.

Captain Falcon: The self proclaimed Chuck Norris and manly person of the group, though the ladies of Smash kinda don't like him. He brags about his manliness and loves to do public service announcements out of the blue. Once the fastest of the Smashers, he still loves to race, andtends to attack Sonic whenever he gets the chance, since Sonic is faster than him.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Say guys, let's do a little fun thing. Say the Smashers live in a mansion. What personalities would you think they'd have, how they'd act overall and how they'd interact with others? Here are some examples from me.

Mario: A friendly guy who has a bit of an ego, and can seek attention sometimes, but has a good heart, nonetheless. He is often the voice of reason of the group, and has his usual bravery and is not afraid to help others if they are getting bullied. He also has a strong spirit.

Kirby: Unlike in Right Back At Ya, Kirby can actually speak. Kirby is fun loving and has a good nature, and is a bit childish and can get into trouble unintentionally in some way. Still, he is good at interacting with others and likes being called cute. However, he gets angry when others try to take his food from him. Before Smash Bros 4, Kirby kept sneaking into the kitchen to eat food, sometimes getting caught. Now, Kirby is constantly fighting another hungry Smasher, Pac-Man, over the food.

Sonic: While cocky and a bit arrogant, and carefree, Sonic is actually friendly for the most part. He loves having fun and partying, and often taunts his foes when he gets a chance. Sonic is also one to not easily back down unless he has to. He is normally exercising in his free time, mostly by running. Because of his cockiness, Sonic is rivals with fellow Smasher, Falco.

Mega Man: A weapons expect of the Smashers, Mega Man is someone who has a strong sense of justice, which is why he isis quick to help out those being harmed or bullied. Mega Man has a strong sense of right and wrong, but his lines about justice are often cliche, and they tend to bore his fellow Smashers.

Rover and Quackers (the Duck Hunt dog and duck, respectively): These two are the trolls of the Smash Bros group. They just love to pull pranks on others and laugh about it, or just laugh when another Smasher fails at doing something. They are always prepared when the others angrily come at them, and even when they to get them, they get back at the other Smasher the very next second. The other Smashers are annoyed at them for this.

Mewtwo: A rather unfriendly fellow, Mewtwo is rather arrogant, and does not get along with the others so well. In spite of this, he is usually in charge of most activities the Smashers take part in, such as parties or vacations. Mewtwo is quite intelligent as well, being a psychic Pokemon and all. Because he was replaced by him in Brawl, Mewtwo and Lucario have a rather bitter rivalry.

Pac-Man: An optimistic, happy go lucky kind of guy who is always friendly and cheerful, though he does not act that way around the bad guys in the Smasher crew. It can be hard to make him angry. Aside from liking to play Namco games, Pac-Man also has a huge appetite, and can get hungry easily. That said, Pac-Man is often fighting with Kirby over the food whenever the two try to sneak in the kitchen and catch a snack.

Wii Fit Trainer: An expert in nutrition and exercise, Wii Fit Trainer is always making suggestions to others on eating healthy things and getting the right kind of exercise. She does not like it when others eat unhealthy foods, such as Sonic eating chili dogs and Mario eating pasta. She is usually exercising, sometimes with other people in the mansion.

King K. Rool: K. Rool is the psycotic cruel member of the Smash Bros group who loves to play mind games with others when he can. He loves to taste others, but not bite parts of their bodies off, in battle. He prefers to be treated like royalty, much like King Dedede, and loves to set up traps for others, especially Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong.

Ridley: Ridley is the violent, evilish member of the group, who is brutal outside and in of battle. Because of this, the others tend to stay away from him, aside from Samus, who is always willing to deal with Ridley for obvious reasons. Ridley talks like a movie serial killer and loves to scare the other Smashers.

Ice Climbers: The lovely couple of the group, always seen together and spending time with each other. They do attack others when one of them is being bullied for whatever reason by other Smashers. Some of the Smashers think they are cute as a couple. As retro characters, they are rivals with Rover and Quackers, the Duck Hunt duo.

Daisy: Daisy is the tomboy of the Smash Bros group. She loves to play sports due to having been in many Mario sports games. She is also great friends with Rosalina, Peach, and to an extent, Zelda (which kind of annoys Peach, since she and Zelda are rivals). She will always attack others who try to ruin flowers, especially those in her garden.

Captain Falcon: The self proclaimed Chuck Norris and manly person of the group, though the ladies of Smash kinda don't like him. He brags about his manliness and loves to do public service announcements out of the blue. Once the fastest of the Smashers, he still loves to race, andtends to attack Sonic whenever he gets the chance, since Sonic is faster than him,
Yoshi: Humble to a T. Regardless of his actual capabilities and feats, he'd prefer to be on the sidelines while his other companions are in the spotlight. His only condition is that he's given enough to eat, which is a lot...

Eh, I don't know, maybe someone would make one better for my boi (in good faith that is)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yoshi: Humble to a T. Regardless of his actual capabilities and feats, he'd prefer to be on the sidelines while his other companions are in the spotlight. His only condition is that he's given enough to eat, which is a lot...

Eh, I don't know, maybe someone would make one better for my boi (in good faith that is)
I dunno, I find that to be good myself. It passes.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What is that Geno leak that was being discussed earlier? I must've missed it when it first came out.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Captain Falcon: The self proclaimed Chuck Norris and manly person of the group, though the ladies of Smash kinda don't like him. He brags about his manliness and loves to do public service announcements out of the blue. Once the fastest of the Smashers, he still loves to race, andtends to attack Sonic whenever he gets the chance, since Sonic is faster than him.
Robin overly analyzes every single Smash member and noting down their strengths that they may be able to pass on to their potential children from the future.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt your discussion. thought i'll let you guys to be aware of this ****.

So Crunchii posted this tweet and deleted it shortly after.

and it translates into "Yukute Wo Habamu Sha Tachi", which points to one of XB2 song:

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! At this moment, I don't really believe this ****. Maybe Crunchii was toying with us?

Edit: turned out that I was late to the party, in other word, I got :ultgreninja:'d so hard.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Going back a topic before this Geno pic (I hold no strong opinions one way or the other)-

On the one hand, Crunchii has made it clear he has access to the soundtrack in some capacity, possibly with a few more songs that haven't been made public yet, so him hinting at a song title from Xenoblade makes sense.

On the other, this is a surefire way to excommunicate yourself from the ring of people Nintendo trust to give information to if he's leaking something that cracked so easily and quickly, let alone leaking at all and even pointing to it being a hint. I'd like to believe he couldn't possibly be this stupid and it may mean nothing, possibly an instruction from Nintendo to throw people off from what's really going on.

Maybe Rex & Pyra really did make base and Nintendo just had that much faith in Xenoblade 2 to push them to Sakurai early. We'll just have to wait and see.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt your discussion. thought i'll let you guys to be aware of this ****.

So Crunchii posted this tweet and deleted it shortly after.

and it translates into "Yukute Wo Habamu Sha Tachi", which points to one of XB2 song:

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! At this moment, I don't really believe this ****. Maybe Crunchii was toying with us?
already discussed, decoded, and shrugged at

Probably just means he's going to be extending that song or its in smash and he's extending it then.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
*sigh* I feel like my efforts of getting Yoshi more respect is falling on deaf ears...
No offense dude but you post wayyyy too much about him. It makes me skim through some of your posts.

Not just you, though. Anyone who talks about one specific character too much is like that.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mario: Hey, Geno. You wanna come to Smash Brothers?
Geno: Don't you think it's too late for me? It's been years.
Mario: Just come .People want to see you! Peach talks about you all the time.
Geno: No, I think I should stay here. Out of the spotlight.
Mario: There's an all you can eat buffet.
Geno: All you can eat you say?

Geno.png

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
*sigh* I feel like my efforts of getting Yoshi more respect is falling on deaf ears...
Well that's the thing.

If you post too much about something and people will get used to it and sort of filter it out as it becomes "white noise" to them.
Also, there's just the fact that some people don't have a taste for a certain character and won't ever change their mind about that and there's simply nothing you could do ( and this is coming from a guy who's been trying to get his friends to try out weird niche RPGs forever now)

That said though, I did learn a thing or two about Yoshi that I'd never known about before.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Going back a topic before this Geno pic (I hold no strong opinions one way or the other)-

On the one hand, Crunchii has made it clear he has access to the soundtrack in some capacity, possibly with a few more songs that haven't been made public yet, so him hinting at a song title from Xenoblade makes sense.

On the other, this is a surefire way to excommunicate yourself from the ring of people Nintendo trust to give information to if he's leaking something that cracked so easily and quickly, let alone leaking at all and even pointing to it being a hint. I'd like to believe he couldn't possibly be this stupid and it may mean nothing, possibly an instruction from Nintendo to throw people off from what's really going on.

Maybe Rex & Pyra really did make base and Nintendo just had that much faith in Xenoblade 2 to push them to Sakurai early. We'll just have to wait and see.
I am wondering if he will do this again.

Because if he does...I really want to know if he could throw us a bone and say if there is Microsoft music titles or not.

EDIT: Very unlikely if he wants to be on Nintendo's good side.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If anything he may be hinting to songs he's being allowed to upload and I don't think Nintendo will necessarily be upset by him hinting at them. I doubt Crunchii knows anymore than what Nintendo is giving him. I highly doubt he has the game in his hands and is hinting at Rex. Seems like a sure fire channel suicide. He ain't that dumb.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Mario: Hey, Geno. You wanna come to Smash Brothers?
Geno: Don't you think it's too late for me? It's been years.
Mario: Just come .People want to see you! Peach talks about you all the time.
Geno: No, I think I should stay here. Out of the spotlight.
Mario: There's an all you can eat buffet.
Geno: All you can eat you say?

View attachment 170679
I didn’t really care about Geno in Smash, but for some reason this post changed my mind

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If anything he may be hinting to songs he's being allowed to upload and I don't think Nintendo will necessarily be upset by him hinting at them. I doubt Crunchii knows anymore than what Nintendo is giving him. U highly doubt he has the game in his hands and is hinting at Rex. Seems like a sure fire channel suicide. He ain't that dumb.
Yeah I find that this is a lot of problem with leak analysis.

They so often center around the leak itself without also looking at the context of the subject and questioning "Would this person do that?" "Does it make sense for this to be posted now?" and "Would he have access to this info?" etc etc.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just gonna say that I'm fairly certain that the water effects on that Geno picture make it based on the Wii U Version of the stage. The Ultimate version does not have as profound brightness when the water meets the horizon.

If anything he may be hinting to songs he's being allowed to upload and I don't think Nintendo will necessarily be upset by him hinting at them. I doubt Crunchii knows anymore than what Nintendo is giving him. U highly doubt he has the game in his hands and is hinting at Rex. Seems like a sure fire channel suicide. He ain't that dumb.
I'm not sure why Nintendo would specifically give him anything considering he's a youtube pirate.

Shroob

Sup?
Just gonna say that I'm fairly certain that the water effects on that Geno picture make it based on the Wii U Version of the stage. The Ultimate version does not have as profound brightness when the water meets the horizon.

I'm not sure why Nintendo would specifically give him anything considering he's a youtube pirate.
He has a large sub base, it's more or less free advertising.

"Hey, we'll give you this song to play on your channel."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom