• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, while the lighting looks a bit wonky and makes everything a bit more muted, it doesn't especially look too bad.

Visually, I'm a bit mixed with the new effects on the attacks. Instead of being transparent special effects, they're way more opaque and solid. It feels like Ike's swatting a giant yellow ink-brush through the air a lot of the times. It's not bad, but after Smash 4, I'm going to have to get used to it.

Also, the smoke during knockback. That ****'s kinda gratuitous so if they could just tone it down a tad, I'll be fine.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Seeing how this is getting more and more likely, I think it’s time that we should get someone with seemingly more experience to look at this even further.

Sorry vaanrose vaanrose , but do you mind looking into this?
I'd thought we decided this was too low poly to be a render back when it first dropped. I have nothing else to add.

Each Smash game have a new rendering engine.
Smash Ultimate use a new "light reflecting" rendering engine on its model compared to Smash 4. Giving them a more "pastel" look on lights and sunlight while also giving them a VERY distinguishible white Outline.

View attachment 170647

View attachment 170648
View attachment 170649

It was also something that was EFFECTIVELY present on the Ken Leaks which is what added to it's weight and why people found it so believable.

View attachment 170646

Sadly, the Geno Render have none of it. And it's clear that blurry or not, we would be able to see that white Outline around it's body.

That's what I meant by lack of white Lighting. It's actually an important detail, and no fake image leaks managed to ever reproduce so far.
I will, however, give you guys the proper nomenclature for this. It's called a Fresnel and is actually lighting engine independent and handled by the shader material. Which is why the effect is present across different stages with different lighting and even appears in areas that are in shadow.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What do you think the final Event will be? Brawl had Mario vs Sonic vs Snake and Sm4sh had Mario vs Sonic vs Megaman vs Pac-Man.

I think it'll be Mario vs Sonic vs Snake vs Simon vs Megaman vs Ryu vs Pac-Man vs Cloud.
You're weak. Do you really think they'd get rid of the old code for good?
Giga Bowser VS Wario-Man VS Giga Mac VS Mega Lucario VS Rathalos VS Dracula VS Metal Face at the same time and they're all on the same team.

:drflip:

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'd thought we decided this was too low poly to be a render back when it first dropped. I have nothing else to add.

I will, however, give you guys the proper nomenclature for this. It's called a Fresnel and is actually lighting engine independent and handled by the shader material. Which is why the effect is present across different stages with different lighting and even appears in areas that are in shadow.
The belief is that it's an in-game model, taken at some point, probably paused. Not like a render for a splash screen or CSS if that's what you mean.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Ah! Thanks you! Sorry to bother you with this so...do you think Geno is fitting the Ultimate Shading then? I'm just a texturer I'm not into the shading stuff- just did my best to guess

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone good with 3D modeling and knows terms?

Apparently there is an argument that the Geno image is fake because of "the lack of strong Rim Light"

I have no idea what that means, lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Anyone good with 3D modeling and knows terms?

Apparently there is an argument that the Geno image is fake because of "the lack of strong Rim Light"

I have no idea what that means, lol
Rim light are basically kinda the white Outline that I talked about-

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
What do you think the final Event will be? Brawl had Mario vs Sonic vs Snake and Sm4sh had Mario vs Sonic vs Megaman vs Pac-Man.

I think it'll be Mario vs Sonic vs Snake vs Simon vs Megaman vs Ryu vs Pac-Man vs Cloud.
I personally feel it will be your choice of character versus a combination of Mario plus all the third party reps (minus echos), all of whom will be on a team together against you, starting at three characters at one time. For example:

Snake, Sonic and Mega Man; knock one out, and Pac-Man shows up, then Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon and Mario, in that order. Following a similar structure to Smash Wii U's Final FINAL battle, where the third-parties came before Mr. Nintendo himself, and in the case of Ultimate, in order of when they were introduced in Smash.

That's what I'm guessing anyway.

25-15-21 7-21-25-19 1-18-5 14-5-18-4-19
Is it sad that I was able to decipher this fairly quickly? :laugh:

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm gone for 12 hours and the thread has gone full decipher mode?

Brings me back to the days when Gravity Falls was still on.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I'd say it was enough good fun for the thread for a little bit.
Besides the few people who really really wanted to just be angry about it for some reason.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, I just remembered that one KI character did get a Memories post, and it's :ultdarkpit:. That's just backwards...

Honestly, while the lighting looks a bit wonky and makes everything a bit more muted, it doesn't especially look too bad.

Visually, I'm a bit mixed with the new effects on the attacks. Instead of being transparent special effects, they're way more opaque and solid. It feels like Ike's swatting a giant yellow ink-brush through the air a lot of the times. It's not bad, but after Smash 4, I'm going to have to get used to it.

Also, the smoke during knockback. That ****'s kinda gratuitous so if they could just tone it down a tad, I'll be fine.
I don't mind the smoke much, it's almost like seeing a Super Sentai fighting game.

Yeah, it's the latest "let's decode supposed leaks even though it's pointless" occurrence. As long as it distracts people away from no news, it's fine.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Gravity Falls is such an awesome show
Oh, I just remembered that one KI character did get a Memories post, and it's :ultdarkpit:. That's just backwards...
Sakurai made game...not backwards cause he also realized Pittoo wasn’t getting enough love compared to the rest of his children
You're weak. Do you really think they'd get rid of the old code for good?
Giga Bowser VS Wario-Man VS Giga Mac VS Mega Lucario VS Rathalos VS Dracula VS Metal Face at the same time and they're all on the same team.

:drflip:
And you can only play that event using Jigglypuff

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I don't mind the smoke much, it's almost like seeing a Super Sentai fighting game.

Yeah, it's the latest "let's decode supposed leaks even though it's pointless" occurrence. As long as it distracts people away from no news, it's fine.
90% of the stuff in here is pointless.
The theories as well as the people who get on a soap box on top of their high horse to tell people to shut up about the theories.
All just discourse.

Sweet, delicious discourse.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So should we now look for a "leaked" image with this "white light"?

Alright, that one MUST be the legit leak! :4pacman:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Smash Ultimate's shading is jank up actually.

There is one with white shading:
ss_1.jpg

To another one with no white shading:
ss_6.jpg

I wish the lighting has been improved in the final build.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It seems like some people on these forums remind me of the Hulk. Their secret is they're always angry.
Honestly, it's more like this thread is pretty good at angering people (especially when Graizen says anything).

Gravity Falls is such an awesome show

Sakurai made game...not backwards cause he also realized Pittoo wasn’t getting enough love compared to the rest of his children
Unfortunately, he still doesn't quite understand that folks don't like him as much as he thinks they do. Either that or the site staff hasn't heard of the first game.

Apart from that, I'll have to see about getting a Gravity Falls box set.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Thoughts on this? Why do some models not have this light while some do? (genuine not trying to be hostile also)

Geno leak still stands, no?
Day/ Sunlight stages are the only one with the White outline.

Also for whoever said DK had no Light.
ss_1 (1).jpg

It's here.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Day/ Sunlight stages are the only one with the White outline.

Also for whoever said DK had no Light.
View attachment 170664

It's here.
I should clarify, I meant that some pop more than others do. Yes, DK has it. Its not as prominent as say Mario's or Luigi's.

Also, no attacks here friend. I just want to figure things out as much as everyone else :D

EDIT: So out of curiosity, I am noticing white light is not as prominent on furred characters. Its there, but maybe the light is getting lost in the shading of the fur? Perhaps bouncing around the textures to give us that "natural" lighting?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I should clarify, I meant that some pop more than others do. Yes, DK has it. Its not as prominent as say Mario's or Luigi's.

Also, no attacks here friend. I just want to figure things out as much as everyone else :D
Same
Honestly that Geno Model is 10/10 and would main the **** out of him if it was true! I love it! But I just can't blindly accept it-

Nonetheless Geno is still very likely. I just hope he look like that rather than the ****ty leaks from last week

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
Screenshot_62.png

first time i seen a 2d sprite for somthing close in the background in this game i think... just pointing it out , also for the geno render so call leak , can any one post any character on the stage geno is on? (its eather the mario or zelda one.) then we can realy be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom