• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
True, but I kinda doubt that he's only choosing characters solely from ballot results.
Sakurai likes surprises, doesn't he?

What do you mean by that exactly?
Biggest surprise so far was Richter, yet even he came with Simon who is very much a character that'd be seen on the ballot

monadoboy

Smash Lord
One thing I hope for DLC this time around is actual CGI trailers. Bayo and Cloud's reveals could've been much. much more hype.

Shulk was, from my experience, sort of middle of the road in terms of popularity, he was definitely popular, but not a top of the pile inclusion at all, I can name at least 6 characters that consistently outperformed him in polls and what not, maybe even expand that by two or three depending on which period of the game's speculation we're talking about.

I think this was why his fanbase was pretty levelheaded aswell, it just hit that sweetspot where his thread saw a lot of activity, but not so much that it attracted a lot of drama or wildfires would spread like crazy in his thread. His fanbase was pretty much Smash 4's answer to the Brawl Isaac fanbase in that regard, except Shulk actually made it in.
The Shulk thread is literally why I joined this site. Good times. Never forget #MonadoMonday

osby

Smash Obsessed
Biggest surprise so far was Richter, yet even he came with Simon who is very much a character that'd be seen on the ballot
Richter was a fresh breath of air after Simon got spoiled. I can appreciate his inclusion for this alone.

D

Deleted member

It sucks when your favourite videogame character besides the one outside Smash plays awful...

I don't want to play as Bayonetta or Zero Suit.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
On the overall scale, Smash 4 has had the most hype reveals for me personally.

:ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultcloud::ultryu::ultduckhunt::ultpacman: I mean dang. That's quite a few.

Brawl for me only had:
:ultsonic::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer: Which was still great. But ... yeah. I don't get it when people say Smash 4 reveals were underwhelming.

And well... in Ultimate so far I got:
:ultsimon::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus: and I've grown to like :ultridley: after seeing him in action.
(not counting the hype of having :ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultyounglink: back)
Never was a Smash fan till Brawl came out, so my hype reveals come from Smash 4, Onward

Smash 4
:ultgreninja: I remember like 4 months prior to the direct getting Pokemon X for Christmas and choosing Froakie as my starter just because he was the cutest of the bunch... Little did I know, that watching the April Smash Direct would reveal to me that my little frog boi, all grown up would be getting in Smash... Let's just say he was easily the most hype addition to Smash for me so far,
:ultmiifighters: Miis, getting in got me pretty excited because I just wanted an custom character aspect.
:ultpacman:PAC-MAN was easily, my most wanted third party character for Smash 4. I remeber accidentley leaving the smash website on my computer all night, only to refresh it and notice that PAC-MAN was added. I Freaked out quite a lot...
:ultduckhunt:I remember when the leaks happened and Duck Hunt was part of it, I nearly freaked out. Deep cut picks are always a ton fun. It didn't help that they were adorable...
:ultcloud:I remember watching the direct live and seeing the words "Final Fantasy VII" pop up on the screen and then just being shocked that Cloud was getting in. I'm not really a FF fan, but the aspect of a character with more ties to PlayStation getting in, was pretty exciting...

Ultimate
:ultinkling: I knew they were coming, but I'm pretty sure it was how they, along with Ultimate were announced
:ultsimon:I knew he was coming, thanks to verg, but doesn't stop him form looking like a super fun character.
:ultrichter: I love "No one saw it coming" reveals, and Richter was easily the most notable example of this, also, having the guy who said the classic "You don't belong in this world" in smash is definitely a plus.
:ultisabelle: I liked Villager a lot in Smash 4, so having a new play style that's still similar in a sense, got me pretty excited.

osby

Smash Obsessed
One thing I hope for DLC this time around is actual CGI trailers. Bayo and Cloud's reveals could've been much. much more hype.
That would be awesome but it's still great how well trailers were made with limited resources.

What's happening my dudes?
We're having a suprisingly calm argument about newcomers and hype they bring.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't know why you people are so against Goku! If he was announced my hype level would be over.....

View attachment 170557
9000!!!

Or 8000 if you're one of those people.
Because. He. Is. Not. A. Video. Game. Character!

I mean at least Master Chief, Scorpion and Kratos would make sense because they originate as ones as "Out there" as they maybe.

Then if Goku gets in people will start asking for Shrek, Spongebob, Naruto, Luffy and so on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Metroid reps were something that i wanted a lot besides K.Rool.

And i feel like people hate it when i repeat the same... But yes, Ritcher made the Castlevania stuff better after Simon got leaked.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I don't know why you people are so against Goku! If he was announced my hype level would be over.....

View attachment 170557
9000!!!

Or 8000 if you're one of those people.
Mainly because it'd ruin Smash being a celebration of Nintendo/Video Gaming..
If Goku could get in what would stop any character whos just generally popular. Lets ad Tyrion Lannister, or how about Batfleck, or Superman, or heck lets go full crazy with this throw in Shrek.

Seriously itd have no meaning anymore Smash would be M.U.G.E.N. and Chuck Norris would be the Smash Ballot Winner.

Why? Did Sakurai censor them too much for ya? :4pacman:
also later builds show that no they didnt shrink ZSS's chest or Snakes buttocks. Was just a lighting thing. Bayo is still Censored compared to her main game but we cant have any nudist witches in our E10 Family Game.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Goku could get in what would stop any character whos just generally popular. Lets ad Tyrion Lannister, or how about Batfleck, or Superman, or heck lets go full crazy with this throw in Shrek.

Seriously itd have no meaning anymore Smash would be M.U.G.E.N. and Chuck Norris would be the Smash Ballot Winner.
Also people would then start asking for other non-video game characters like Naruto and Luffy as well as ridiculous ones like Shrek and Spongebob.

The only way I approve of such a thing is if Smash takes the next new approach and does a crossover Vs. fighting series in the form of Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump. That'd be the closest to people getting Goku in Smash.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I mean at least Master Chief and Kratos would make sense because they originate as ones as "Out there" as they maybe.

Then if Goku gets in people will start asking for Shrek, Spongebob, Naruto, Luffy and so on.
While I agree Goku shouldn’t really be in Smash, that’s a pretty slippery slope you got there with that last bit.

osby

Smash Obsessed

also later builds show that no they didnt shrink ZSS's chest or Snakes buttocks. Was just a lighting thing. Bayo is still Censored compared to her main game but we cant have any nudist witches in our E10 Family Game.
Why Chuck Norris when you have Segata Sanshiro as a better, video game version of him.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

I mean at least Master Chief, Scorpion and Kratos would make sense because they originate as ones as "Out there" as they maybe.

Guys.... Seriously? I. Was. Joking.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear on that front, but yes I know Goku isn't getting into Smash. I posted on this exact topic 2 weeks ago:
Dragon Ball is one of my all time favorite media franchises period. It even rivals the likes of all of the Nintendo IPs (don’t kill me Smashboards). I’ve seen every episode of Dragon Ball Z, Super, and GT (although I don’t like to talk about that one).

That being said I know there is no chance of Goku getting into Smash. If you want to play as Goku in a fighting game, just do what I did: get Dragon Ball Fighterz. There are 3 forms of Goku (4 if you consider Goku Black, but that’s debatable) you can play as. If you want to play Goku in Smash: get Super Smash Flash 2.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It kinda makes sense from a marketing standpoint. You wanna make sure your customer buys your game? Get the most hype worthy stuff out of the way that way, they'd be more content with getting the game...

Saki, I believe...
I'd say I agree on the order, just not the timing. If we presume all that's left is what's rumored for the lowest expectations, the majority would have been revealed four months in advance, which is... an excessive amount of time. If King K Rool was saved for October, it would have made a lot more sense to me. But as we're getting into November, now I would agree we are getting close to where it'd be a weird time to reveal big/lots of characters, which makes me wonder why the (presumably) majority of the roster was revealed four months in advance.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Sweet, I needed another Marisa.
Just a follow up to my question posed earlier: how do your mains appear to be shaping up with respect to their tools, movement, mechanic changes, etc? This applies to everyone ofc, and hopefully isn't too off-topic
:ultmario: I was worried at first but later footage showed that he looks way more fun to play than ever. Jumpsquat changes make it even easier for him to get up and combo people and multi-hitting Fireballs are a nice bonus. Shame his dash attack looks a bit worse though.
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: Help this poor lady and her dark clone, mid-air charging is great but she needs way more. I have heard back throw now kills at least so I appreciate that, would like Super Missiles to get kill power. And make jab and up smash not suck also.
:ultmarth::ultlucina: Gonna be using both this time around, hated Marth in Smash 4 but he and Lucina look to both be competent now. Lucina still takes priority though obviously. Being able to buffer Dancing Blade finally will probably make me use it more and the landing lag changes are going to really help with spacing.
:ultganondorf: Words cannot describe how excited I am to play this mega-buffed monster. The speed and power increases, the sword, lag reduction across the board, oh my. Do wish he had gotten a better recovery and some way of dealing with projectiles though.
:ultwolf: So glad to have him back finally. No more meteor cancelling, no more chain grabs, no more helplessness from side special, plenty of tweaks to fit with the changes made over the last decade...Wolf is going to rock man.
:ultshulk: Just...speed and power buffs. Please.
This is probably another fake one so unless the direct is announced for next Wed., don't put it in consideration

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/435169119/#q435169119
No Shadow = No Belief
2019: "Lucina is a queen and I would die for her. We've already purged the Marth mains"
Lucina is already my queen and has been for years.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Also people would then start asking for other non-video game characters like Naruto and Luffy as well as ridiculous ones like Shrek and Spongebob.

The only way I approve of such a thing is if Smash takes the next new approach and does a crossover Vs. fighting series in the form of Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump. That'd be the closest to people getting Goku in Smash.
I still say Capcom X Shonen Jump would be better and more likely, they cant keep leeching off Marvel forever right?

D

Deleted member

I just realized something:

The hardcore fans from other fighting games love to make fun of the competitive scene for Smash.

But even then, they still want the characters from those fighting games in Smash.

Kind of ironic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still say Capcom X Shonen Jump would be better and more likely, they cant keep leeching off Marvel forever right?
I personally want Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump so those Goku fans gets what they want technically that and just think about it.

Most recognizable video game company vs. Most recognizable manga/anime company. Pretty much spells it all especially icons like Mario, Link and Kirby vs. Goku, Naruto and Luffy.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Guys.... Seriously? I. Was. Joking.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear on that front, but yes I know Goku isn't getting into Smash. I posted on this exact topic 2 weeks ago:
naw we know and its cool, but alot of us are cranky cuz of how much this boards been going in circles around the same topics. Goku included.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know this will be rude but anyone who wants Goku or even thinks he has a chance to get into Smash is an idiot. I'm not taking that back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I personally want Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump so those Goku fans gets what they want technically that and just think about it.

Most recognizable video game company vs. Most recognizable manga/anime company. Pretty much spells it all especially icons like Mario, Link and Kirby vs. Goku, Naruto and Luffy.
That could actually end up being neat.

And Namco makes Smash too, so it wouldn't be that impossible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That could actually end up being neat.

And Namco makes Smash too, so it wouldn't be that impossible.
Indeed. I'm already coming up with my own ideal roster as well as rivalries similar to that of Marvel vs. Capcom and PSASBR as well as the gameplay maybe being a hybrid of Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I know this will be rude but anyone who wants Goku or even thinks he has a chance to get into Smash is an idiot. I'm not taking that back.
I agree with you halfway. Expecting Goku to be in Smash is really stupid.

However, anyone can still want Goku in Smash. You can't call people idiots for wanting a character you don't want.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They didn't but I can see why people can think like that. Though I still wonder why did they choose Ridley for E3 reveal, his popularity isn't global like Simon or K.Rool.
In addition to what others have said, E3 is very much about marketing, and Ridley has a game that's on store shelves, aswell as another one coming up (or at least he's incredibly likely to be in Prime 4). With Prime 4 almost certainly appearing at E3 2019 it'll make it three years in a row with Metroid playing a significant part at the conference, which will help massively in creating interest in the series for new gamers, which is key to the series' revival and the success of one of Nintendo' biggest upcoming titles. Who knows, maybe it'll even help the series' future in Japan aswell.

K. Rool and Simon are inclusions that appeal almost exclusively to veteran gamers, so they felt more fitting in a Smash-specific Direct.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of surprise characters, will we ever beat the pure shock factor of Snake getting in? I mean, yeah, someone like Goku would cause much more of a meltdown - especially so as social media is so much bigger than it was during Brawl. But the mere fact that people talk and speculate about characters like Goku lessens their surprise factor slightly. Because of Snake and Cloud, the genie's out the bottle in terms of speculation.

I'm too young to know much about pre-Brawl speculation, but surely, surely nobody was guessing that our first third-party rep would be Solid ****ing Snake, right?

Noipoi

Howdy!
We're having a suprisingly calm argument about newcomers and hype they bring.
Huh, well I might as well share my reactions.
I'll only be doing Ultimate newcomers because it's the first time i've followed a Smash game's release.

:ultinkling: I was freaking out. Sure they were expected, but I didn't expect a Smash game to come out this year.
I still remember thinking "what is this, Splatoon 3ds?" and then the Smash ball appeared in her eye.
I was giddy the rest of the night. I still get giddy thinking about it.
Hype=10/10

:ultdaisy: It was more hilarious than hype for me, but i'm still glad Daisy's here.
Hype=HI IM DAISY/10

:ultridley:I was never on the Ridley bandwagon. I like him now, but I really didn't care before. My excitement was more focused on the fact that Sakurai actually went and did it than the character himself.
Hype=SAKURAI YOU MADMAN/10

:ultsimon: Literally didn't care. The fact that we already knew sucked the fun out of it. (cool trailer though)
Hype=1.5/10

:ultrichter: I was confused because I had no idea who he was. Then I found out and stopped caring.
Hype=Literally who/10

:ultchrom: I'm happy he's here. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultdarksamus: She looks cool. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultkrool:I was more laughing than hype, that trailer was hilarious. Like Ridley, I like K Rool now that i've had time to warm up to him. I really didn't care before.
Hype=6/10

:ultisabelle: I was excited for the character herself, but the trailer wasn't exactly exciting. I'm glad she's in though, and a new Animal Crossing is coming.!
Hype=8.5/10

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Capcom has more a presedence set for crossing over fighting games, Nintendo only really has smash. It'd be Capcom for sure, besides who wouldnt wanna see Ryu vs Goku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom