• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Friendly reminder that every character in Smash history is back.

No reason for mentioning this, I just feel it's something we tend to forget about among all the speculation.
Ironically, I think that's one of the main reasons speculation is so frantic and exciting this time around. :grin:

We don't have to worry about cuts or returning vets since they're all in already. Any playable character we get, in the base or as DLC, will be brand new.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I assume your shots are non-alcoholic, because if they were, you'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now.
How do you still have a liver then?
Usually they're shots of water because I'm a coward too poor.
So instead of getting destroyed y'all are keeping me healthy thanks

I don't drink when I'm alone, and I live alone.
Which is good, because I'd be dead by now if I played this particular drinking game.

Last edited:
NNID
Samyatang
I can't believe that it's only two months left until the game releases. Yet, somehow, even though this speculation cycle was way shorter than usual, things still were pretty crazy this time around.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Where :ultryu::ultdk::ultlittlemac::ultike::ultfalcon: too busy?
In honor of your 10/10 sig gif, if you had to make a Smash version of Stardust Crusaders, who would they be?

Easy :ultfalco: for Avdol.
Haha thanks for the compliment, fellow Jobro. :)
And cool idea! I think I'll do one better and list what characters their stands would be as well!

Jotaro: :ultike:(Black alt. I mean, just look at my avatar. Lol) Star Platinum: :ultfalcon: (Blue alt.)
Joseph: :ultganondorf: (Smash 4 white hair alt.) Hermit Purple: :ivysaur:(Did Ivysaur have a purple coloured alt in Brawl? XD )
Avdol: :ultryu: (Red alt. ) Magician's Red: :ultfalco:(Red alt.)
Kakyoin: :ultrobin(Green alt.) Hierophant Green: :ultsamus: (Green alt.)
Polnareff: :ultlittlemac:(If he had white hair and got rid of the gloves) Silver Chariot: :ultmarth:(White alt.)
Iggy: :ultduckhunt:(Black and White alt.) The Fool: :ultwolf:

D

Deleted member

I bet that Direct will be any day now.

And thus begins my downwards spiral into insanity.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So we're in that insanity mode again?

When is this board never insane?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I've got some insider information you guys! You ready? My uncle's pet dog's pet hamster who works for Reggie Fils-Aime's pet cat who happens to be the twin cat to Sakurai's told me that the next Smash Direct will happen sometime before December 7th. Crazy I know, I was shocked when I heard it myself but there it is!

D

Deleted member

I’ll never understand why Smash fans take Smash rosters so seriously. I can understand being disappointed not seeing your favorite character in the game, but when your creating absolutely off the wall theories or going as far as to personally insult someone as if they burned down your house just because they disagreed with what you said, that’s a sign that maybe, just maybe, you might be taking this a little bit too seriously for your own good.

Smash is a game. A pretty damn good one, but a game nonetheless. Yet despite this, some people still tend to think that if a Smash roster does not go their specific way, the world is going to end! That millions will die, the economy will collapse, and aliens will come from the skies and take over the universe as we know it! All because we don't like the current Smash roster!

Guys, no. Some of you, and you know who you are, sometimes take Smash roster, hell even Smash in general, way too seriously. I like Smash Bros just as much as next guy, but I know well enough that my entire life does not depend on it. Just saying.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
I've got some insider information you guys! You ready? My uncle's pet dog's pet hamster who works for Reggie Fils-Aime's pet cat who happens to be the twin cat to Sakurai's told me that the next Smash Direct will happen sometime before December 7th. Crazy I know, I was shocked when I heard it myself but there it is!
FAKEY LEAK! DONT BELIEVE!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I would love for my expectations to be blown and for along with the 5 max characters I'm expecting, for Elma, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and Banjo to make the cut. But I just don't see any more than Incineroar, Ken, Shadow, Geno, and 1 more I'm not sure of.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I’ll never understand why Smash fans take Smash rosters so seriously. I can understand being disappointed not seeing your favorite character in the game, but when your creating absolutely off the wall theories or going as far as to personally insult someone as if they burned down your house just because they disagreed with what you said, that’s a sign that maybe, just maybe, you might be taking this a little bit too seriously for your own good.

Smash is a game. A pretty damn good one, but a game nonetheless. Yet despite this, some people still tend to think that if a Smash roster does not go their specific way, the world is going to end! That millions will die, the economy will collapse, and aliens will come from the skies and take over the universe as we know it! All because we don't like the current Smash roster!

Guys, no. Some of you, and you know who you are, sometimes take Smash roster, hell even Smash in general, way too seriously. I like Smash Bros just as much as next guy, but I know well enough that my entire life does not depend on it. Just saying.
You see, after an extended amount of playing Smash, a thread around the brain called the "Smash cord" begins to form. When it begins to swell and snap, people have been recorded as having transformed into insane loons who cannot stay away from Smash for 10 minutes. It's dangerous, but fortunately not contagious.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Since many other people on the Internet have talked about Banjo-Kazooie, I thought I'd offer my two cents on the characters as well. I never played the original Banjo-Kazooie, but I did play Banjo-Tooie as a kid, and while it was a fun game, it was nothing special and groundbreaking to the point where I feel like they should get in over more iconic and deserving third party characters like Sora and Crash Bandicoot. Banjo and Kazooie aren't really major stars, and they simply aren't relevant anymore. Their last game, considered a flop by many, was released ten years ago. And before someone brings up K. Rool as an example of how relevancy doesn't matter, he is still a first party character. The same rules don't apply to third parties like Banjo-Kazooie. Every third party character in the roster so far is relevant and iconic with the exception of Bayonetta, who won the Ballot and had her series saved by Nintendo. Banjo-Kazooie just wouldn't bring the same amount of hype as other third party characters would. I can understand why they have their fans, though, and hopefully they won't stay dead forever.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of what I'm expecting...I honestly don't know, lol. I could see the ideas around the box playing out, but I could also see someone else with Incineroar, or at the very least an Echo or two more with Ken. Gonna have to wait and see, I suppose.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Characters we are expecting?

Ken and Shadow are pretty much shoo-ins now.

I am extremely confident in Bandana Dee now and a new Pokemon and Rhythm Heaven character of which I think Lycanroc and Rhythm Girl are likely/make the most sense.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Friendly reminder that every character in Smash history is back.

No reason for mentioning this, I just feel it's something we tend to forget about among all the speculation.
Because there's no point in bringing it.

Having every veteran back means we can't speculate about character cuts, since there's not gonna be any.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Inceneroar, Ken and Geno are my three locks right now. Anything beyond those 3 is just a bonus to me. I don't expect much beyond that, but on the off chance their is more, I'll say Elma, Dee and Shadow.

Anything can happen still, of course.

Days since we've had "Can we just appreicate the roster" posts: 0
I've just kinda been sitting back and taking a shot every time the conversation loops back around.
Because there's no point in bringing it.

Having every veteran back means we can't speculate about character cuts, since there's not gonna be any.
Sheesh people, I didn't mean that as a way of going "stop complaining and be happy with what we got", I just mean that I seriously just sometimes forget that's a thing and that it's pretty awesome.

So sorry for trying to bring a bit of positivity into this thread again, by all means, please go back to whatever arguments you prefer to stay fixated on. :V

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
When JoJo and Smash Bros is in one thread:

Two questions:

One - is that thumbnail the Dorf wearing the BotW Desert Voe set?
Two - Why is the Desert Voe set not a Dorf costume yet?

If we're getting Meta-Rids and Crafted Yoshi, I really hope we're getting some awesomeness in terms of Zelda crew costumes. I really want to see Zelda's TP or BotW gowns, or Link's TP armors or the BotW soldier set, or TP or especially HW Dorf. But Desert Voe Dorf sounds really really really awesome and I want that in my life as well.

D

Deleted member

I do feel Shadow's chances are pretty dang good right now. He has everything Isabelle had going for her before her reveal, so I'm gonna be a little surprised if it doesn't happen.

Geno is a bit of a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, his ballot presence was most likely pretty good, and we have had two occasions in the past of Sakurai stating he wants to do it. On the other hand, he is a pretty niche character and I'm not sure how cooperative SE would be with it, so I truly don't know what to think about Geno. For me personally, I think I'd give him a solid 50/50 shot.

I do think Kencineroar is pretty much locked down at this point, though.

D

Deleted member

I think it's mainly due to the fact that at this point, Smash Bros. has become the most prestigious spotlight for gaming as a whole. When you see people on the roster, or additions to the roster, they're signifying and solidified as part of gaming history. Not to mention the absolute power it has just as a franchise. Does Minecraft, Tetris and other iconic games sell more? Yes. But do they have the prestige and notoriety as Smash? I don't think so. You certainly don't see your daily rounds of reaction videos making the waves whenever E3 or a Direct pops up.

Think of it like a Content Cop - when iDubbbz drops one, literally "Everyone is here!" So I can see why people are so emotionally invested in the rosters of each Smash, because you wanna see your franchise be solidified and have reason to be a part of gaming history and to see your favorite characters kicking ass.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Birdo as a possible echo. He came to mind last night and it struck me that I forgot he existed.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Birdo as a possible echo. He came to mind last night and it struck me that I forgot he existed.
Birdo wouldn't really work as a Yoshi echo. She doesn't use her tounge (so no neutral B or grab), she shoots eggs differently from Yoshi, she'd look kinda weird flutter jumping, and she's not really a Yoshi character. She COULD work, maybe, but that's a big maybe.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Two questions:

One - is that thumbnail the Dorf wearing the BotW Desert Voe set?
Two - Why is the Desert Voe set not a Dorf costume yet?

If we're getting Meta-Rids and Crafted Yoshi, I really hope we're getting some awesomeness in terms of Zelda crew costumes. I really want to see Zelda's TP or BotW gowns, or Link's TP armors or the BotW soldier set, or TP or especially HW Dorf. But Desert Voe Dorf sounds really really really awesome and I want that in my life as well.
1 - Yes, minus the headband.

2 - Just imagine see Ganondorf in BOTW at all. That would be cool for sure.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm going to say now, I don't have any faith in Vergeben or Box Theory. I thought my beliefs could lead to some discussion.
Vergeben hasn't really proven himself to me, all his leaked characters were characters I personally either were predicting or had at least considered seriously. It really seems like lucky guesses more than anything to me.

There has always been theories like box theory regarding promotional material and I don't recall any of them becoming true, and just 2 characters left sounds extremely unlikely to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom