• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yes very good.

Ryu and probably Kasumi who was also in Monster Rancher 2
A random question about Kasumi...
I have never played DOA, But assuming she's a ninja like Ryu Hayabusa, do they play similarly when they cross over to each other's franchises (Ryu Hayabusa in DOA and Kasumi in Ninja Gaiden 3)?
I'm guessing probably not, but I think it's a question worth asking...

NineS

Smash Lord
They were popular characters once upon a time. People seem to have forgotten that it’s not just a matter of choosing newcomers, but veterans too.
Hell, I’ll go a step further and say if we’re counting out any and all franchises with no future, then Samus should not have been in Sm4sh.
It'd be a little odd to call a character from such an important franchise irrelevant over one or two less than average games. Granted, there's the lack of games of any kind Metroid had for the longest time...

If this were true, then Sonic would likely be the most irrelevant of all. He has some less than average games every now and then, with his fans split, but he's still relevant.
I'm one of the poor saps who actually genuinely enjoys a lot of said games too. Except 06.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Marx
Ken (Ryu Echo)
Elma
Shantae

Battle Harbor
Heart of Nova
Saliva Island
Kamek
Paper Mario
Boom Boom/Pom Pom
Dixie Kong

Fear Factory
Waluigi Pinball
Raphael's Moon
Tails
NiGHTS
Beat
ToeJam & Earl

Panic on Funkotron
Stick Canyon
Shibuya Terminal
Sora
Geno
Gex
Bub & Bob

Planet X
Forest Maze
Cave of Monsters
Hector
Jagen
Celica
Sothe

Summoning Circle (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Twilight of Gods
End of All
Mini Kangaroo
Diskun
Urban Champion
Tin Star

Famicom
East Driftwood
Smash Memories
Silvally
Misty (Three Pokémon in one)

Cerulean Gym
Ultra Space
Distortion World
Thoughts on all these?
I'm curious; how do you envision Jagen working?

NineS

Smash Lord
So. What are everyone's thoughts on this out-of-nowhere thing?
This would technically be a leak, wouldn't it? It's a little odd and out of nowhere. Especially for a twitter account made to announce countdowns and seems to have existed for a long while. Add the lack of context to it...

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
A random question about Kasumi...
I have never played DOA, But assuming she's a ninja like Ryu Hayabusa, do they play similarly when they cross over to each other's franchises (Ryu Hayabusa in DOA and Kasumi in Ninja Gaiden 3)?
I'm guessing probably not, but I think it's a question worth asking...
I believe in the latest game her fighting style is similar to Ryu's and its suggested shes been training in his village so it wouldnt be that much a stretch to have her as his echo.

Edit: Forgot to mention BOTH were in Warriors Orochi 3 the game where EVERYONE plays the same.. Ayane was too if i recall.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I see him being a Marth echo as all he ever does is dress up as Marth and die
Nah, that's Frey's job canonically, and Gordin's job if you're going for efficiency.
Real talk why the hell would you sacrifice a fantastic unit like Jagen. He flies in the face of the stereotype and is solid for the whole game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Probably.

:ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultness::ultpichu::ultpit::ultrob::ultroy::ultsnake::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer: were all largely unexpected at the time of their inclusion so I think it's one of the more reliable Smash patterns. So far Richter's the only new real curve ball unless you were super pessimistic about Ridley and K. Rool.
Can Ness and Jiggs really count in this considering 64 is the first Smash game?
New Sakurai bias confirmed. Retro bias.
Explains Duck Hunt...and that’s no problem for me
Seeing as, Sakurai essentially 'adopted' Kid icarus as his own from then, to Uprising, which we can assume was being planned for a while.
Well StarFox was gonna get the Sakurai treatment on the 3DS originally, so we can’t assume Uprising was planned
I'm one of the poor saps who actually genuinely enjoys a lot of said games too. Except 06.
It’s Sonic, so it’s ok to enjoy his bad games...especially 06 (but not by playing that one of course)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Looking at this, it's still mind-blowing to see so many fan favorites and amazing characters finally coming together in one game.

It's literally becoming everything we've ever wanted combined into one.
I just wonder.. Now that we have gotten these amazing characters we have been asking for since melee and brawl, what will people begin to cheer on next? What will become "the next Ridley/K. Rool/Geno" of the years of Smash to come?
Waluigi, Ashley and/or Dixie?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This would technically be a leak, wouldn't it? It's a little odd and out of nowhere. Especially for a twitter account made to announce countdowns and seems to have existed for a long while. Add the lack of context to it...
My thoughts? An unverified Twitter account with no obvious connection to insider knowledge--might not be the most trustworthy. But eh, if we consider the 17th 18th the next day we expect a Direct, it'll be no different than the 500 other times we've done so. :upsidedown:

Last edited:
That's.....odd.....

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I believe in the latest game her fighting style is similar to Ryu's and its suggested shes been training in his village so it wouldnt be that much a stretch to have her as his echo.
Oh, okay, good. because I kinda wanted them both in, but I also think Fatal Frame could use a rep too (Giving it's history with Nintendo and all). I would be fine with Kasumi as an echo for Ryu Hayabusa in that case.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Counting from today, that would make the direct air on the 18th. Even so, I don’t trust this.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Oh, okay, good. because I kinda wanted them both in, but I also think Fatal Frame could use a rep too (Giving it's history with Nintendo and all). I would be fine with Kasumi as an echo for Ryu Hayabusa in that case.
Well it could also be the case Ryu and Kasumi are seperate and Ayane is an echo of one or the other, one would have to be dlc though.. or both. I theorized that if anyhow Koei Tecmo would have their foot in the door (ie Impa) that they'd be in as the last classic characters and fighter game mascots. Course i also assumed Heihachi or Kazuya or Jin were all shoo-ins by this point and we have yet to see any tekken reps.. Maybe Tekken x Dead or Alive sometime in the future if this crossover dont occur in smash?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not sure if to trust or not

Untouch

Smash Master
This is some minor twitter using a popular event for attention.
If the direct doesn't happen it'll be ignored.
If it does happen, people will flock to the post and give them attention.
They have nothing to lose doing this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Cause muh growths and level ups. Also I thought Gordin came after that chapter?
But that's dumb because bases>growths dammit. And nah, it's Draug that joins after the sacrifice. Gordin joins beforehand. Like, literally moments beforehand.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if it will pan out, but it's worth keeping an eye on regardless.
Palpatine.jpg

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Smells like BS to me.. course im on the Final Smash Direct in November boat so i may be a bit biased.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I'm going to see if I can make my own countdown on that website by just signing up.

If literally anyone can make one then that pretty much confirms it's fake and just there for attention/the luls.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I used to hesitate using pre-promoted classes, but I've recently been informed that it's okay to do so, since exp distribution isn't hurt or something like that.

I also waited until Level 20 to promote a class, but chances are you're not going to reach 20/20 by end-game unless you grind, so it's better you promote them when necessary. That, and something about better growth rates.

Learning things like these went against everything I thought I knew was common sense in Fire Emblem, but I still have lots to learn apparently.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smells like BS to me.. course im on the Final Smash Direct in November boat so i may be a bit biased.
A November Direct would be for the best just because of the extra pain of waiting being replaced with massive hype

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Looking at this, it's still mind-blowing to see so many fan favorites and amazing characters finally coming together in one game.

It's literally becoming everything we've ever wanted combined into one.
I just wonder.. Now that we have gotten these amazing characters we have been asking for since melee and brawl, what will people begin to cheer on next? What will become "the next Ridley/K. Rool/Geno" of the years of Smash to come?
Waluigi is a big one. He was created as a throwaway character that's sort of morphed into something else entirely. Shantae, Bandana Dee, and Spring Man have that potential too if they don't make this game. Isaac, Skull Kid, and Banjo are more, again, if they get snubbed here. Shovel Knight, Ashley, and Takamaru are all characters that are prime for promotions too.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I really hope they sell the artwork poster of the whole roster in some especial pack or something. I really really want that thing in my wall so bad.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Also, Sora would likely be our SE Rep over Lara Croft due to his immense popularity and iconic status.
Hard disagree with how dismissive you are of Lara in particular. I don't think you quite get how iconic Lara herself is. We're talking about a character who was so iconic during her run that she appeared on magazine covers, did commercials for products, and has had multiple movies made of her. She's easily up there with Chun-Li as the 2 most iconic women in gaming not yet in Smash. Sora is a massive gaming character but Lara is a legitimate cultural powerhouse.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I should've clarifired, I meant what seven updates as in all seven updates added four characters and three stages each, asn in Update #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,#7. My bad lol.
Includes characters form Japanese third party franchises

Heihachi
Geno
Shadow (Sonic Echo)
Ms Pac-Man (Pac-Man Echo)

Stages:
Tekken Stage
Forest Maze
Pac Maze

Includes characters from unrepresented Nintendo franchises

Isaac
Rhythm Girl
Spring Man
Min Min (Spring Man Semiclone)

Stages:
Venus Lighthouse
Remix 10
Spring Stadium

Includes characters from western third party franchises

Steve
Alex (Steve Echo)
Banjo Kazooie
Crash Bandicoot

Stages:
New World
Cloud Cuckoo Land
N. Sanity Beach

Includes newcomers from already represented Franchises

Bandanna Waddle Dee
Impa
Elma
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong Echo)

Stages:
Cookie Country
New Los Angeles
Pictochat

Includes characters that either debuted or had a major presence on the Switch

Rex & Pyra
Octoling (Inkling Echo or Semi Clone)
Edelgard
Gen 8 Pokemon

Stages:
Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion Stage
FE Three Houses Stage
Pokemon Gen 8 Stage

Includes characters owned by Koei Tecmo

Ryu Hayabusa
Kasumi (Ryu Hayabusa Echo. not sure if this could work or not, but I've been told it possibly could.)
Linkle
Fatal Frame Protag

Stages:
Ninja Gaiden Stage
Dead Or Alive Stage
Fatal Frame Stage

Includes characters from dead Nintendo franchises

Felix (Isaac Echo)
Sami
Saki
Ayumi Tachibanna

Stages:
Advance Wars Stage
Sin and Punishment Stage
Famicom Detective Club

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
"You agree that by submitting a ‘public’ type countdown such as a movie, TV or game release you allow us review, edit and at our discretion approve this countdown on to our website. You understand that you will then no longer be able to edit this countdown in your account. If any amends need to be made to this countdown from this point forward you can make a public countdown amend request."

So either someone on that site is definitely on the inside track, or it's horse****. I'm tending to believe the latter but I'd love to be wrong.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Like always..

With nothing this week, I think the probability of a reveal trailer lessens the more time goes on, and the probability of a blowout direct increases. Having said that, the probability said blowout direct is toward the end of October is also pretty high as opposed to mid October in my estimation. Nintendo probably wants to hit hard starting November and they can send off the month of October with the blowout smash direct as a preview of coming attractions. Mid October wouldn't make as much sense since that'd leave Halloween with pretty much nothing except doing more Luigi's Mansion shilling.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Quick thoughts and theorizing on how the blog can sublty give us the amount of newcomers left.

1539359400630.png

This. of course, assumes that the blog keeps doing its average of 3 characters per week.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think Mother Brain will a boss, remember bosses can also be assist trophies too.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Quick thoughts and theorizing on how the blog can sublty give us the amount of newcomers left.

View attachment 169490

This. of course, assumes that the blog keeps doing its average of 3 characters per week.
So 5 more including echoes? It's *possible* but honestly I'm expecting 3-4 max, if box theory is wrong. Whenever we've tried to nail down a pattern based on blog fighter reveals, it always seems to get thrown off by 2 or 4 character weeks. But I really hope it's 5 so box theory can get ****ed :smash:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
5 days would be Wednesday, which is possible for a Direct day. It's probably nothing though.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
:ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultbowser: All go to the gym, who quits first?
In order:
:ultkingdedede: > :ultkrool: > :ultwario: >:ultbowser:

Besides that one time he was buff (through magic) Dedede is not really an athlete.

K. Rool has boxed and performs wrestling moves so he must perform some form of exercise.

Wario went through intensive training in the Mario Power Tennis opening cutscene so I guess he can keep up with an exercise routine.

Bowser burned his entire body fat in like 10 seconds in BiS so exercise must be simple routine for him. He's actually in pretty good shape for a Koopa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom