• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Unlike the box theory this is actually believable.
> The website follows a distinct pattern that we can deduce to be meaningful.
> The box follows a distinct pattern that means absolutely nothing lalalalalala I can't hear you.

Love Smashboards.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Groudon's canon size wouldn't matter considering he already has a canon size in Smash itself.

Also Samus is 6' 3" and it means nothing anyway given Pikachu is definitely not its canon size in Smash either.

Canon size has not mattered for smash fighters anyway. Kirby is supposed to be 8 inches tall? Get out of here. If Sakurai wants it to work, he'll make it work. Case in point: Ridley. As your picture shows, he was shown as much larger than most of the cast, and also was "too big" in Smash 4 as well. :p

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
We all know Groudon would not be in because if you did not have Kyogre as well that would be dumb and bad.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Canon size has not mattered for smash fighters anyway. Kirby is supposed to be 8 inches tall? Get out of here. If Sakurai wants it to work, he'll make it work. Case in point: Ridley. As your picture shows, he was shown as much larger than most of the cast, and also was "too big" in Smash 4 as well. :p
Tbh, I still think Ridely is too big... He doesn't feel like Ridley anymore...

Rex,Noctis,crash,rayman,shadow, etc...
Out of all of those, I think Crash and Shadow are the most likely
Though Crash is probably gonna be DLC

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ridley is still big...but now big enough to be playable

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Ridley is based off of is NES design, in which he was just a bit bigger than Samus. Someone made a chart comparing Samus and Ridley in Ultimate to their NES sprites But I couldn’t find it.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
You’re young.

I thought you just never played any games after Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic Mania Plus is a return to form.
I was mostly joking. I haven't played Sonic Mania yet, but it looks cool. I thought Sonic 4 was fine, but didn't grab me.

The Adventure Battle games were not fun for me at all, and the whole series got weirder and farther from what I thought sonic should be. I remember playing a really weird one on the Wii with horrible controls.

But Mania I might play, I agree that it looks like a return to form!!

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

He appears to be about the same size as Bowser, and they have him hunched over to make it work. Any smaller wouldn't give him the proper size to convey "bigness" and any larger would make him more combo food than he already is looking to be. I think he looks pretty much perfect size-wise.

It seems like they took heavy inspiration from Ridley's first canonical appearance with regards to his size and some of his moveset (especially the fireballs); his later growth can be explained by biological/mechanical manipulation of his body. (Though his smaller size in his first game is probably more due to hardware limitations but still).

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I was mostly joking. I haven't played Sonic Mania yet, but it looks cool. I thought Sonic 4 was fine, but didn't grab me.

The Adventure Battle games were not fun for me at all, and the whole series got weirder and farther from what I thought sonic should be. I remember playing a really weird one on the Wii with horrible controls.

But Mania I might play, I agree that it looks like a return to form!!
You're thinking Sonic and the Secret Rings or Sonic and the Black Knight. Oof...not bad ideas, and I liked their stories, but the controls...yikes.

Also yes, get Mania and play it. If you like classic sonic it is a must-own.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Ridley is based off of is NES design, in which he was just a bit bigger than Samus. Someone made a chart comparing Samus and Ridley in Ultimate to their NES sprites But I couldn’t find it.
Are you telling me that this:

Is Supposed to be This?:

I don't know... Doesn't scream NES Ridley to me...

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
We all know Groudon would not be in because if you did not have Kyogre as well that would be dumb and bad.
Rayquaza should return as a boss for Spirits mode. And halfway through the battle, he'll mega-evolve and, true to the Pokemon meta, all hell will break loose.

On the topic of big boys and character sizes, if they could somehow shrink Master Hand without it looking stupid I'd main him in an instant.

D

Deleted member

Rayquaza should return as a boss for Spirits mode. And halfway through the battle, he'll mega-evolve and, true to the Pokemon meta, all hell will break loose.
True to how he works in Pokemon, he'll be the only boss who can use items.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Can't see the last pic but yes, it's meant to be that size. Sakurai put a LOT of love into Ridley by using multiple games as inspiration for his moveset and even the goddamn manga incarnation got referenced
I didn't mean the size, just the design...

On the topic of big boys and character sizes, if they could somehow shrink Master Hand without it looking stupid I'd main him in an instant.
Basically Glover on Steroids, Huh?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lowkey Vergeben being so active without anything really to say imo hurts his cred in my eyes.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It could either be on the 5th OR on the 7th. IF ANY announcement.
Something is making me lean toward the 6th or 7th. The 6th has more later tournaments and since the tournament is EST that would work better for mid day announcements PST and morning announcements JST.

Now the 7th only has tournaments around mid day EST, and so while it might make sense to save the annoucnement for the last day ala EVO, that would be like...middle of the night JST. Not sure about that ...

Me thinking so hard about when their might be an announcement is silly :p

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Is Supposed to be This?:

He's based on his Super Metroid design on the SNES, not the NES.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Is Supposed to be This?:

Yup. A “Smashified” Version of him at least. He appears to have features from other games, i.e. long tail, big wings. But his size appears to be based off the NES version. (Probably should’ve clarified that.)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
> The box follows a distinct pattern that means absolutely nothing lalalalalala I can't hear you.

Love Smashboards.
Technically all speculation, outside of leaks/sources, is finding patterns and seeing if they're meaningful or not meaningful. In the absence of any evidence, you can only decide that on the basis of how reasonable the assumptions are. The assumption that they remove the new banner before a reveal makes sense (it would seem odd to keep it, reveal someone, and keep it some more). Whereas the box is, agreed by almost everyone, placeholder art. And I think assuming placeholder art to be the same as the finalized design is ridiculous. They're not one in the same. :p

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Lowkey Vergeben being so active without anything really to say imo hurts his cred in my eyes.
Maybe because he wants to retire from leaking...
Either that or there are no more characters to leak... Have you ever Thought about that?
Just because he hasn't been dropping pieces of info lately, doesn't mean he's fake...
I'm really getting tired of Verg haters...

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Listem man, you can't just constantly make leaks alll day, every day.
There's making leaks and just posting on gamefaqs complaining about smash's fanbase. He has not said anything in over two weeks that was new, yet he has been posting far more the past two weeks.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Haven't read Verge's posts lately but I'm betting most of them are just arguing with trolls/haters/explaining old ****.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Love Smashboards.
To be fair, the box theory isn't exactly a pattern. It's just a image of a box that features (presumably) two mysterious blanks on separate sides. One of which is thought to be Ken, while the other is a unique character. There's a number of different ways you could interpret that, such as whether or not we get any more characters past the last space, and who the last blank on the box is reserved for.

The website has done this update on two separate occasions. I don't see how you could possibly interpret that any other way besides "it happened twice before, so maybe it could happen again."

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's not looking good for the box theory. We're obviously getting a newcomer soon, whether it's a direct or a standalone trailer. For the box theory to be true, either this has to be the final direct and they're not saving anything for November, or we're getting a direct later that has only a single echo for a character reveal. Both these scenarios also go against Sakurai's statement about slowing down reveals. He wouldn't say they were too trigger happy with reveals then proceed to reveal everything else too quickly. I wonder what box theory people think about it.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Wait, did Vergeben say anything new this week?
New as in a dozen or so posts on Gamefaqs saying nothing new.

It's not looking good for the box theory. We're obviously getting a newcomer soon, whether it's a direct or a standalone trailer. For the box theory to be true, either this has to be the final direct and they're not saving anything for November, or we're getting a direct later that has only a single echo for a character reveal. Both these scenarios also go against Sakurai's statement about slowing down reveals. He wouldn't say they were too trigger happy with reveals then proceed to reveal everything else too quickly. I wonder what box theory people think about it.
Daily reminder that box theory/card theory was always wrong and that this one gets the truth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom