• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of blog updates, Sakurai and the Japanese website have now started promoting a huge promotional event Nintendo is hosting over there in Japan called "Nintendo Live 2018". The main appearances Smash Ultimate will have are on November 3-4th and 23-24th, aptly titled "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Premium Fight".

You guys think this might allude to something for November? Possibly a newcomer or a general reveal?
I'd hope by the 24th we'd have the last Smash Direct and the entire roster.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I'm playing through the Torna Expansion for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Just arrived at Gormott. I want you all to listen to the new Gormott theme.
If this doesn't make you want Rex & Pyra in Smash Ultimate, I don't know what will.

why does this game have so many ****ing bangers

It makes me want jin and lora, who is this rex you speak of?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I know this point was kind of brought up a while ago but still thought it might be a bit of fun.

So we are currently at 78 fighters counting Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters as well as Mii fighters.

In smashdown mode it appears that Mii fighters aren't playable and Pokemon trainer can only be used once. this means we have a total of 73 fighters in smashdown mode. For smashdown to work comfortably with 1, 2, 3, and 4 players there should be a total of 84 fighters... time to guess who the remaining 11 are (this may include DLC if you think we might only get 4 more before release).

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Speaking of blog updates, Sakurai and the Japanese website have now started promoting a huge promotional event Nintendo is hosting over there in Japan called "Nintendo Live 2018". The main appearances Smash Ultimate will have are on November 3-4th and 23-24th, aptly titled "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Premium Fight".

You guys think this might allude to something for November? Possibly a newcomer or a general reveal?

November 2 is when the smash bros themed switch releases right? so that might all line up for some big smash info dump or something.

wouldnt be surprised if we have a drought from here until early november then 2 big smash "events" revealing the rest of the game in november leading up to hype it right at the end.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I know this point was kind of brought up a while ago but still thought it might be a bit of fun.

So we are currently at 78 fighters counting Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters as well as Mii fighters.

In smashdown mode it appears that Mii fighters aren't playable and Pokemon trainer can only be used once. this means we have a total of 73 fighters in smashdown mode. For smashdown to work comfortably with 1, 2, 3, and 4 players there should be a total of 84 fighters... time to guess who the remaining 11 are (this may include DLC if you think we might only get 4 more before release).
Actually we're at 74 fighters, including all 3 PT Pokemon and all 3 Mii fighters counted separately...

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
So yeah with Isabelle's confirmation as a unique character, Vergeben is the only leaker that didn't get wrecked right? I also feel that there are only 2-3 unique newcomers left. (not counting echoes) and I feel that those unique newcomers are the ones in the list of Vergeben and maybe Skull Kid.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Well good morning everyone!! Can't keep my excitement for Isabelle. One of my most wanteds (but RH representation is even beyond that). Isabelle will be my secondary, just like Villager. I feel like they will play similar. But her trailer, man. It was so bad.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
That one guy has insider info. They all do. Remember when they "predicted" Daisy in Smash before E3?

The Final Fantasies, Epic Yarn for 3DS, Toadette in NSMBUD and Wolf in Starlink in ONE GO is too too obvious. It's not a conspiracy when you realize they all knew about Smash before the March Direct, as well as Ridley being playable.
It's a CONSPIRACY once you remember Smash is the ONLY game Nintendo makes! And therefore every announcement they make MUST be Smash related!

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
:ultlink:: Twilight Princess. I love the world, the characters, the story, the artstyle, the combat, the dungeons. I don't get why people hate on it, it's so damn fun imo.
I personally dislike TP but I can understand why people might like it. For me personally it was the story that made me have a lack of interest for the game, granted the combat was fun and the characters had good personalities but;

The world was bland and not very exciting to explore as most secrets in the overworld were obvious, the story dragged on so if they don't catch you in the beginning the story isn't exciting for the whole game, also the Ganondorf part felt really forced. The artsyle was, in my opinion, completely horrendous. The realistic style made the game age badly graphically and took away from the magic of hyrule. Some of the dungeons were fun but felt very 'walk down this path' the snow peak temple was great though. Is that a good explaination as to why people might dislike TP?

Actually we're at 74 fighters, including all 3 PT Pokemon and all 3 Mii fighters counted separately...
73 because mii fighter wasn't playable in the smash down mode during the smash direct.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Continuing the trend of my ask you guys a boatload of questions, what are favorite games from some of you're favorite series?
For Me:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. This game was an absolute blast to play. It truly felt like the next big step for the Zelda series.
Metroid: Prime. I loved this game's atmosphere, exploration and music. It's awesome, but Super Metroid and Samus Returns are close seconds.
Metal Gear Solid: MGS 2. I think this is an usual pick for MGS, but still I though was the most interesting out of the first 3 MGS games.
Xenoblade Chronicles: XC2. Damn the artsyle complaints, I freaking loved this entry in the Xenoblade series.
Kirby 64: One of the first games I've seen when I was a baby, the family still has the cartridge and I'm not gonna let it go.
Super Mario Galaxy 2: A major step up from the original, it may have lacked in story, but it more than made up for in the scope of collectables.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild: You know why this game won Game of the Year many times over? It's because of the sense of uniqueness compared to other open-world games; once you leave the Plateau, you have no hidden powers limiting you; you an have your own adventures independent from everyone else.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: Nintendo's first welcome of the Blue Blur may be showing its age, but it's still fun to go back every so often and smash GUN mechs (also Chao).
Donkey Kong 64: The sheer scope of the game was remarkable for its time, with hundreds of collectables and unique environments. It's still my favorite game.

Did I make a good thing?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Everyone is asking these questions so I'll hope in on it to.
Continuing the trend of my ask you guys a boatload of questions, what are favorite games from some of you're favorite series?
For Me:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. This game was an absolute blast to play. It truly felt like the next big step for the Zelda series.
Metroid: Prime. I loved this game's atmosphere, exploration and music. It's awesome, but Super Metroid and Samus Returns are close seconds.
Metal Gear Solid: MGS 2. I think this is an usual pick for MGS, but still I though was the most interesting out of the first 3 MGS games.
Xenoblade Chronicles: XC2. Damn the artsyle complaints, I freaking loved this entry in the Xenoblade series.
:ultpikachu:This is tough one. Fire Red / Leaf Green for nostalgia, Black / White for being the best of the formula, and Sun / Moon for breaking the formula. Ultimately I'll have to settle on Black and White as my final answer though.
:ultlink: Breath of the Wild. I'm not usually into open world sandbox game so much, but Breath of the Wild still managed to blow me away. I have a number of complaints about it though, so I'm hoping to see a sequel that improves upon it's concept.
:ultmarth: A toss up between Sacred Stones and Conquest. Conquest has the best gameplay in the series, but the story and some of the character are...well you've probably heard. I'll have to give it to Sacred Stones though because, while it's relatively easy, it's gameplay is still enjoyable.
:ultdk:Tropical Freeze. I haven't played much in the way of DK games but I had to go ahead and include it anyway because I just love Tropical Freeze that much.
:ultkirby: I've only played a handful of Kirby games, but I really like the two 3DS titles. Triple Deluxe is my favorite because I actually like that game's bosses more, but Planet Robobot was awesome in its own right.
:ultsamus: I haven't played that much Metroid, but I really loved Metroid Fusion. I tend to prefer more linear, action focused games, generally and Samus Returns felt a little too repetitive.

If we're also talking about non Smash titles, I'm also a huge fan of Etrian Odyssey IV, believe it or not. I just don't talk about it much and I know it has zero chance of getting any representation in Smash except for a single song or trophy if it's really lucky (but I really, really doubt it).

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
73 because mii fighter wasn't playable in the smash down mode during the smash direct.
No, Zinith is right, 74 (with 3 Miis and 3 for Pokemon Trainer), 71 without Miis...
Regarding Smashdown its 69 now, as Pokemon Trainer is one slot there.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's a CONSPIRACY once you remember Smash is the ONLY game Nintendo makes! And therefore every announcement they make MUST be Smash related!
When one guy says "Hey, you know what'd be funny? If they revealed Daisy" after saying Ridley.

When the same guy says "I think Captain Toad is coming to the 3DS"

When the same guy says "You know what'd be really neat? Kirby's Epic Yarn on the 3DS"

When the same.guy.says "How do you all feel about Isabelle being a unique character?"

WHEN THE SAME GUY CALLS EVERY FINAL FANTASY WE'RE GETTING ON THE SWITCH AND IGNORES 8 LIKE NINTENDO THEMSELVES DID...

.....things stop being a coincidence, my dude.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hey, Zinith Zinith . I just saw this image on Reddit and wondered if you knew about this already. Apparently the Yoshi Bomb can go through platforms now, presumably by holding down. It's a fairly minor buff but I'm sure you'll take every Yoshi buff you can get.

Don't know what's up with that Rocket League snippet though.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
No, Zinith is right, 74 (with 3 Miis and 3 for Pokemon Trainer), 71 without Miis...
Okay time for some maths

68 unique fighters
6 echo fighters
= 74

- 1 away for mii fighters
= 73

never mind I just looked at the sight

each mii and pokemon of the trainers is counted in the unique fighters

so, therefore we can say
74 - 5 (3 mii fighters and 2 pokemon)
= 69

84 seems very optimistic now.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey, Zinith Zinith . I just saw this image on Reddit and wondered if you knew about this already. Apparently the Yoshi Bomb can go through platforms now, presumably by holding down. It's a fairly minor buff but I'm sure you'll take every Yoshi buff you can get.

Don't know what's up with that Rocket League snippet though.
Yes, I know about it and mentioned it in the Yoshi sub-forum and Discord. Slush is impressed, and if HE'S optimistic about Yoshi stuff then it must be something :yoshi:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Some possibilities for smashdown:
1. it just ends, when not enough fighters are left and some characters are not used
2. the last characters can be chosen by more than one player (i.e. 4 players and three characters left, one of the characters is chosen by two players)
3. the worst player(s) is/are excluded from the last round

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
For Me:
:ultmario:: Super Mario Galaxy. Such an amazing game with a soundtrack that gives chills.
:ultlink:: Breath of the Wild. That feeling of exploration and wonder is something I never tought I would feel.
:ultsnake:: MGS 4. 4 has several problems, but for a long time fan it ended up the story perfectly. It is also the only game that made me cry in the ending, and I even knew it before hand since I was spoiled by a friend!
:ultolimar:: Pikmin 1. The first game had that feel of preassure that lacked in all the sequels, and that feeling really pushed me to get better. Now I love to speed run it.
:ultsamus:: Super Metroid. A timeless classic and masterpiece.
:ultpikachu:: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver. Amazing music, amazing worlds and amazing new Pokémon. They made me a life long fan.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Some possibilities for smashdown:
1. it just ends, when not enough fighters are left and some characters are not used
2. the last characters can be chosen by more than one player (i.e. 4 players and three characters left, one of the characters is chosen by two players)
3. the worst player(s) is/are excluded from the last round
I think #2 is how its really going to work but I find it hard to believe the number of characters won't at least go into 4.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: Nintendo's first welcome of the Blue Blur may be showing its age, but it's still fun to go back every so often and smash GUN mechs (also Chao).
Did I make a good thing?
Lifelong Sonic fan and "Sega kid" until the Dreamcast folded talking here. Sonic Advance was really the first one. Adventure 2 Battle was just a port of a game that ran way better on Dreamcast, with a sliightly better multiplayer menu. So was Adventure DX. Sonic Advance was what I and many others considered"Sonic 4" until Mania came out last year.

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I think #2 is how its really going to work but I find it hard to believe the number of characters won't at least go into 4.
#2 would also work, when not all characters are unlocked yet.
I don't think Smashdown will require to have all characters unlocked.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I'm thinking it might just be another prerelease tournament/demo event, since other games will be present. Maybe some more characters will be added to the demo since it'll be close to the release date.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, lol ...IF this "Jon" has insider information

Is "Jon" one of the people that thinks Geno will be in/ Wants Geno?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
#2 would also work, when not all characters are unlocked yet.
I don't think Smashdown will require to have all characters unlocked.
I agree I just think that in cases of 4 player smash it would always work out perfectly. As it turns out 72 goes into 4 and 8 so it would work out for 4 player smashdown and 8. this means we should only get 3 more characters... lets hope it only goes into 4 so we can look forward to 76.

for those interested the total newcomer count is 9, 3 more and we reach the amount added for the original game.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Goodmorning...I still feel some hype building up in me after the Direct...

Can I give an honest thought, and say that I'm very glad Isabelle got revealed, because it meant shattering a lot of leakers, including LadyBow and Loz?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
When one guy says "Hey, you know what'd be funny? If they revealed Daisy" after saying Ridley.

When the same guy says "I think Captain Toad is coming to the 3DS"

When the same guy says "You know what'd be really neat? Kirby's Epic Yarn on the 3DS"

When the same.guy.says "How do you all feel about Isabelle being a unique character?"

WHEN THE SAME GUY CALLS EVERY FINAL FANTASY WE'RE GETTING ON THE SWITCH AND IGNORES 8 LIKE NINTENDO THEMSELVES DID...

.....things stop being a coincidence, my dude.
It's Square ignoring VIII, not Nintendo. All the FF games in the Direct minus Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Chronicles are coming to Xbox as well. I honestly think VIII was skipped because it doesn't currently have a PS4 version, which the Direct FF titles either already do or are getting one.

Silly because there was a PC rerelease somewhat recently and the PS4 versions of VII and IX are the same as their recent PC rereleases.

Shroob

Sup?
It's Square ignoring VIII, not Nintendo. All the FF games in the Direct minus Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Chronicles are coming to Xbox as well. I honestly think VIII was skipped because it doesn't currently have a PS4 version, which the Direct FF titles either already do or are getting one.

Silly because there was a PC rerelease somewhat recently and the PS4 versions of VII and IX are the same as their recent PC rereleases.
Alright, but that's just nitpicking.

The guy still called it happening... and it did.

MainJPW

M.T.A
So Jon might be a leaker? The plot thickens.

Lifelong Sonic fan and "Sega kid" until the Dreamcast folded talking here. Sonic Advance was really the first one. Adventure 2 Battle was just a port of a game that ran way better on Dreamcast, with a sliightly better multiplayer menu. So was Adventure DX. Sonic Advance was what I and many others considered"Sonic 4" until Mania came out last year.
Don't even get me started. I'm sure you've seen the Sonic Adventure videos by SpeepsHighway? Check this one out:

The ports for SA1 and SA2 are SO BAD.

StormC

Smash Hero
Continuing the trend of my ask you guys a boatload of questions, what are favorite games from some of you're favorite series?.
:ultmario: Super Mario Bros. 3. Still the greatest 2D platformer after 20 years, endlessly replayable and full of incredible level design and a sense of adventure. Bonus points to Super Mario Advance 4 with the great bonus levels, now finally available thanks to the e-shop release.
:ultpikachu: Pokemon Platinum. Gen 4 in general brought huge welcome changes with the physical/special split and online play, but Platinum ironed out the bugs in Diamond/Pearl and created a fantastic experience that embodies everything I love about the series.
:ultmegaman: Mega Man 2. So easy to pick up and play, with one of the best soundtracks in video game history and some of the most memorable/iconic Robot Masters in the series. Mega Man X comes close to it, but 2's charming simplicity wins out for me.
:ultdk: Donkey Kong Country 2. A cornerstone of my childhood and the second greatest 2D platformer after SMB3, the atmosphere and world of this game are perfectly crafted, where you take on pirate crocodiles on a gothic island full of strange locales. The soundtrack is Wise's masterpiece as well.
:ultlink: Majora's Mask. Such an odd, charming little game so full of life and mystery, offering a game completely off the beaten path. The characters and sidequests are the real draw, rather than the dungeons and storyline. It's difficlt to imagine a mainline Zelda game like this being released today.
:ultkirby: Kirby Super Star Ultra. KSS on its own merits would probably win anyway, but Ultra is a rare remake so good it replaces the original entirely. Not only do you have the great core game, there's the new subgames, particularly Revenge Of The King and Meta Knightmare, that add lots of value.
:ultsnake: Metal Gear Solid. My personal favorite game of all time, everything from the goofy yet strangely compelling story with a perfect atmosphere and campy dialogue to the arcade-like stealth action, with tons of classic and memorable set pieces... I can always fire this game up and dive right into it.
:ultsonic: Sonic 3 And Knuckles. It really doesn't get any better than this for Sonic, in my mind. The way the levels flow together through cutscenes, multiple playable characters, extremely memorable levels and tunes, Sonic Mania came close to it, but doesn't quite match the perfect mix 3&K has.
:ultwario: Wario Land. Although Wario Land 3 is my favorite of the "traditional" Wario platformers, I love the first game as a mix of the classic SMB style with Wario's new tweaks. Undoubtedly one of the best games for the Game Boy and kickstarted a great series... that Smash has totally ignored.
:ultness: Mother 3. Mother and EarthBound have cute stories, but I wouldn't really say they have a ton of depth in terms of character and theme... but Mother 3 blows them out of the water in this regard, in my opinion. It's a rich, thoughtful game with a lot to say. The ending is just perfect.

Shout out to :ultsamus: and :ultpit: as Super Metroid and Uprising are two of my favorite games, but they're the only games in their series I've completed... hoping to fix that soon with Metroid, at least.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A bit late to the party, but I'm extremely excited for Isabelle. I thought for sure she would be an Echo, but Sakurai suprised me. I genuinely thought she wouldn't be prioritized enough for that treatment.

Although, now that we know Isabelle is a unique fighter, I think we should start buckling down on our favorite characters. People said they expected Geno, Skull Kid, a Pokemon rep, but unless we literally get those three and no one else, I think a few of the current fan favorites will miss out.

Shroob

Sup?
A bit late to the party, but I'm extremely excited for Isabelle. I thought for sure she would be an Echo, but Sakurai suprised me. I genuinely thought she wouldn't be prioritized enough for that treatment.

Although, now that we know Isabelle is a unique fighter, I think we should start buckling down on our favorite characters. People said they expected Geno, Skull Kid, a Pokemon rep, but unless we literally get those three and no one else, I think a few of the current fan favorites will miss out.
I think a 'new Pokemon' is all but confirmed at this point.

We have Vergeben, Jon from Gamexplain, and potentially the Dante leaker(The worst of the three) all saying Incineroar.

StormC

Smash Hero
Incineroar is pretty much happening in my mind. Honestly, never thought I'd say this, but even Geno seems good to go.

Whoever else remains... well, good luck.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
After all the fuzz about the blog posts prior to the Direct, I do find it kind of odd how they posted a song that was seemingly intended to be posted a week ahead, but then both Isabelle's trailer and gameplay video features the same old track that already was in Smash 4. We might still get an AC song on Wednesday, but it's an odd choice to not have it in either video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom