• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think i have a logical conclusion on how many characters will be in the final build and how many newcomers are left. (Being 3)
I think analyzing Smashdown is the new analyzing CSS slots.

It just goes against the way Sakurai makes rosters. He doesn't pick a number first and then stick to it. In fact, every single time the game has ended up with a different amount of characters than it began with.

I expect Smashdown to just fudge the final rounds depending on the number. Maybe it's musical chairs style, and if there's only three characters and four players, whoever chooses last is out. Since that feels a little unusual for Sakurai, instead maybe the final round just lets you ditto. The point is, there's options to facilitate the mode even if the number isn't cleanly divisible.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
How many do you expect?
Hard to give an exact number, but I still think they'll outnumber the true newcomer count in the end. I can even see them squeezing in a few more in last minute given the largely positive reaction Chrom and Dark Samus have got.

I'm surprised you still have Ashley in your sig after her massacre
That's why she at zero percent now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Is there a way I can mute a word on this site like on twitter? Cause I think this thread is too attached to Shadow.
What's wrong with talking about probably one of the most likely candidates ever since Chrom came with his not-finished looking ass?

Enchess

Smash Lord
I can even see them squeezing in a few more in last minute given the largely positive reaction Chrom and Dark Samus have got.
Kinda makes ya wonder why they didn't lead with Dark Samus instead of Daisy. We'd have ended any opposition to echoes immediately. Must not've been ready yet.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Kinda makes ya wonder why they didn't lead with Dark Samus instead of Daisy. We'd have ended any opposition to echoes immediately. Must not've been ready yet.
I can see that letting some of the air of Ridley's balloon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's why she at zero percent now.
jesus christ what the **** is this high iq 4D chess signature
1522631048730.png
are these really the percentages you're giving on chances?

They underestimated the power level of Waluigi fans.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
jesus christ what the **** is this high iq 4D chess signature
View attachment 156834
are these really the percentages you're giving on chances?
Yes, lol, that's how it's been the whole time. I was 50/50 on Ashley, so I had her at around 50%. I was unsure about Simon, pegged him at 30%. I was hecka confident in K.Rool, put him at 99.7%.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, here's a question. Do you guys think this'll be the only Smash Bros. Direct or will they do another? Considering how much they apparently have left to show off, including that mysterious (hopefully story) made, I think it's possible we may get another Smash Direct around release. What do you guys think?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What? You don't think they tried to squeeze him in between E3 and the direct?
I wanna see a process of how long it takes to make Echo fighters. I'd assume all the unique fighters are done or at least almost done by now if they're making them super quick.

Shroob

Sup?
I actually do wonder how long it takes to add an echo fighter in.

While it probably doesn't take a lot, they still have to do a lot of small stuff like mode-clear artwork, trophies, bios, etc, which is probably obnoxious.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Ok, here's a question. Do you guys think this'll be the only Smash Bros. Direct or will they do another? Considering how much they apparently have left to show off, including that mysterious (hopefully story) made, I think it's possible we may get another Smash Direct around release. What do you guys think?
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get some Ultimate news on the inevitably direct to discuss the online service. Most likely how online mode works, maybe a newcomer on top of that?

Then October-November there's gonna be another direct where they unveil the last few newcomers.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Before the direct, I would have said no.

However, the direct left us this big unexplained mode.

That requires explanation and I don't see it in a general direct.

I expect one more.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well we know they have to do one more.
They can't just leave that censored mode out considering it makes up a 1/4 of the damn CSS.
Plus, Sakurai says he plans to reveal all fighters *before* release, implying that this isn't the last one.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think we'll get one more, but not until October or November. We'll probably get a character here and there in other Directs, too.
Sakurai said he'll reveal every fighter before release, and we still have that mysterious blurred out mode that needs to be explained.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Almost entirely certain they will. They have online, the new “spirits” mode. “Games and more” modes. More new characters they have promised will be revealed before release. And they can detail their thoughts on DLC if it comes up.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I actually do wonder how long it takes to add an echo fighter in.

While it probably doesn't take a lot, they still have to do a lot of small stuff like mode-clear artwork, trophies, bios, etc, which is probably obnoxious.
I bet most the echoes are repurposed from trophies. I don't think there's any doubt all the currently revealed ones would get at least that much if they didn't get Echo status. So models probably only needed a little (comparatively) extra work. Even if it takes awhile, it probably only takes 1-2 people working on an echo at a time, so they could just give a small subteam the job of generating echoes and the rest of team could do other stuff

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No one’s arguing about him anymore though. Not after Chrom atleast.
Idk, that's not what what it looks like, especially when yesterday someone responded "Oh Shadow works very well as an Echo fighter!" when I said we have literally all this other stuff to speculate on
What's wrong with talking about probably one of the most likely candidates ever since Chrom came with his not-finished looking ***?
Because it's ALL this ****ing thread seems to really talk about. It's boring as **** to constantly talk about the same stupid topic over and over again when there's no right or wrong. "Shadow can work as an Echo" "No he should be unique!" "Richter was an echo so third party echoes are a thing!" "Well Richter's moves were used for Simon so that makes more sense!" it's just the same ****

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From doing what? Most of these are on 4chan. 4chan is an anonymous-based board. They could literally just write up a new one.
I kind of feel like you didn't read the previous conversation that was going on

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
And they can detail their thoughts on DLC if it comes up.
While you're mentioning that. The Game Awards takes place literally the day after Ultimate's release. Anyone else think we might get DLC news there? I mean The Game Awards is a big deal for Nintendo. They have actual stakes in the production of it as in they help fund it. I'm pretty much expecting to see Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 there already but do we think Smash will make an appearance as well?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Idk, that's not what what it looks like, especially when yesterday someone responded "Oh Shadow works very well as an Echo fighter!" when I said we have literally all this other stuff to speculate on

Because it's ALL this ****ing thread seems to really talk about. It's boring as **** to constantly talk about the same stupid topic over and over again when there's no right or wrong. "Shadow can work as an Echo" "No he should be unique!" "Richter was an echo so third party echoes are a thing!" "Well Richter's moves were used for Simon so that makes more sense!" it's just the same ****

What would you suggest we talk about?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think we'll see one new character in the next general Nintendo Direct in September, and then they'll reveal the remaining characters in the next Smash Bros. Direct in November.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Alright, give us a topic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What do you expect? We don't have much to speculate over. Spirits was decoded even though we don't know what exactly it entails.
We can only assume what we've gathered from Richter and Chrom's vital BTFOs against most arguments about Shadow's validity as a character (aka "3rd parties shouldnt have echoes because it's not worth the licensing!!" or "Shadow shouldn't share the same moves as Sonic!!"), let alone a clone.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What would you suggest we talk about?
****ing Dracula's castle, what other bosses we could potentially face, the new songs everyone but Final Fantasy seems to have and if that includes CDs should they return, other guest Assist Trophies, how the new modes could work, the custom balance we see in the menu the FS Meter got shown in, any other single player content like Coin Battle and minigames, if the Trophy store has a chance of coming back, how we supposedly have all stages but the Monster Hunter stage is nowhere to be seen, what that could mean Spirits is, what other information we expect from the next direct assuming it's Smash focused and when we'll get it, etc.

Shroob

Sup?
What do you expect? We don't have much to speculate over. Spirits was decoded even though we don't know what exactly it entails.
We can only assume what we've gathered from Richter and Chrom's vital BTFOs against most arguments about Shadow's validity as a character (aka "3rd parties shouldnt have echoes because it's not worth the licensing!!" or "Shadow shouldn't share the same moves as Sonic!!"), let alone a clone.
Wait a minute.

Spirits....
Sakurai never ages....

I never realized that Sakurai's Stand was [Made in Heaven]

Enchess

Smash Lord
You guys putting Gwen on spot to give topic realize that there have been tons of potential topics people have tried to bring up, but they keep getting ignored in favor of Shadow posts and that's why they're complaining, right?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
****ing Dracula's castle, what other bosses we could potentially face, the new songs everyone but Final Fantasy seems to have and if that includes CDs should they return, other guest Assist Trophies, how the new modes could work, the custom balance we see in the menu the FS Meter got shown in, any other single player content like Coin Battle and minigames, if the Trophy store has a chance of coming back, how we supposedly have all stages but the Monster Hunter stage is nowhere to be seen, what that could mean Spirits is, what other information we expect from the next direct assuming it's Smash focused and when we'll get it, etc.
Dracula Jr., that's the one that wasn't shown and that's all that wasn't shown.

Spirits is probably related to [monster hunter dragon i always forget the name of] because he said it was boss character, but not what kind of boss character. You obviously have bosses like Metal Face, but it could be related to Spirits (or maybe even Classic mode). I hope current stage hazard bosses like Metal Face and the Find Mii antagonist get expanded upon.

Alright, give us a topic.
Actually, I do have one.

Will the Final Smash Meter be viable for competitive play?
I'd like to argue that it's dependent on certain characters and certain Final Smashes. If it's allowed, :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy: will skyrocket in the competitive scene for how Critical Hit will still OHKO you. And some inescapable (or near inescapable) final smashes like :ultsonic::ultbowserjr::ultgnw: may play a large favor in their endgame as well. I find this pretty interesting since a lot of people are 50/50 on it.

Last edited:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I expect a non-smash specific direct around the online services launch. I think smash will reveal some more fighters in this direct.

In October/November, I expect a smash specific direct that has a focus on the new mode (spirits?). I also expect more character reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom