• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The “controversial” character thing is slightly inaccurate. He was talking about the Pokemon, and the reason he didn’t say anything was due to disagreement among his sources as to who it was.

That said, we’re so close to this game being the official version of Crusade, and it makes me really want Goku in now.
Vergeben never ever used the word controversial to describe a newcomer he knows. This is "Sakurai wants to add tons of female newcomers to Brawl" all over again.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
IDK, Pretty sure he's just a boss...
Also, Freaking out over chairs is my new favorite Smash Meme
The bosses that we've seen are all gigantic - Yellow Devil from Mega Man, Metal Face, Dracula, Rathalos, etc. Skull Kid doesn't exactly fit the mold.

D

Deleted member

Some people are saying they haven't re-released FF VIII because of rights problems with it's main vocal theme "Eyes on Me".
****ing Uematsu again! That's probably why I haven't heard him in FF since 2004; Square probably parted with him for being difficult with his music rights.

Well...in a way, I'm glad I know this now. I've been avoiding playing the digital copy I have of VIII on PS3 thinking that as soon as I finish, a 'remaster' will be announced, but if they don't own the rights anymore, or have lost the assets, I might as well start it up (after DQ11 and Persona 5 re-playthrough).

Untouch

Smash Master
He could be just Majora's Wrath. I don't think so though, maybe Skull Kid is a part of Young Link's new FS?

MainJPW

M.T.A
So I know nothing about DragonBall, so when I saw “Hercule” I thought you were referring to Hercules of Greek mythology.

And I thought at some point, Goku might have fused with him somehow, and was really confused.
Everyone should just call him by his actual name, Mr. Satan. Hercule is an outdated dub censorship name that Funi no longer uses and for some reason his daughter's name, Videl (an anagram for Devil) was A-OK.

I’m not an expert on Dragon Ball, but I doubt 21 is the only game exclusive character in the entire series.
Off the top of my head there's:

Shallot from Dragon Ball Legends
Beat and Note from Dragon Ball Heroes
Chronoa from Online/Xenoverse/Heroes. Fu from Online/Xenoverse/Heroes. Mira and Towa from Online/Xenoverse/Heroes.

There's a **** ton of Dragon Ball characters made exclusively for the games. None of them has a chance in hell of getting in Smash.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Just an FYI, The source who told Vergeben that Simon and Isabelle were in the game, also told him that Minecraft Content was in as well

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Vergeben never ever used the word controversial to describe a newcomer he knows. This is "Sakurai wants to add tons of female newcomers to Brawl" all over again.
He did. He even admitted in a later post that the character he was talking about was Incineroar, but he didn't want to mention him by name just yet because his main sources hadn't heard of the Pokemon newcomer yet.

The bosses that we've seen are all gigantic - Yellow Devil from Mega Man, Metal Face, Dracula, Rathalos, etc. Skull Kid doesn't exactly fit the mold.
I think bosses can be small and still work just fine. If anything, having a smaller hitbox could be the thing that makes them stand out among the rest.

He could be just Majora's Wrath. I don't think so though, maybe Skull Kid is a part of Young Link's new FS?
Maybe? That could certainly happen, but if the Moon isn't involved in his FS, then I really don't see what could be a better substitution.

Personally, I think YL will just get Triforce Slash.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Just an FYI, The source who told Vergeben that Simon and Isabelle were in the game, also told him that Minecraft Content was in as well
A minecraft stage would be really fitting, either that or a Creeper AT. I don't think it should go beyond that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He did. He even admitted in a later post that the character he was talking about was Incineroar, but he didn't want to mention him by name just yet because his main sources hadn't heard of the Pokemon newcomer yet.
Post a screencap.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Why do people think Issac Skull kid Shadow Geno Inceraroar are basically confromied dont count you Eggs before they hatch guys fake leaks and rumors dont mean anything

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m not really sure about Dracula, we can see in the direct that attacks hitting his body have a mist effect signifying that you can only hurt him by attacking his head just like in the Castlevania games. Maybe attacking his body only does reduced damage, but If you can only damage him by attacking his head, then his hit box is actually going to be relatively small.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Post a screencap.
This is before Loz18 leaked the message that had Verge mentioning Incineroar specifically.

But no matter what happens, it's going to be controversial and "disappointing" to its extents since it wasn't the 3 that people would have and were most expecting.
Verge was referring to Incineroar being a questionable choice since people were expecting Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why do people think Issac Skull kid Shadow Geno Inceraroar are basically confromied dont count you Eggs before they hatch guys fake leaks and rumors dont mean anything
Most people cannot think for themselves. It is not intentional. After reading these names so frequently, it begins to seem 'necessary and likely.'

EDIT: Aw. I missed the fun post-direct talk and we are already into the "vergeban is god" nonsense?

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I don't typically humor the DBZ speculation for Smash.
But tbh if we were to get one I'd think we'd get Yamcha.
Simply because he'd be at a more "even" playing field than the others.

Pakky

Smash Hero
The Prince for Smash though.

Also been thinking if there's more Square Enix stuff, other than Geno.

I could see Chocobo in some form either an assist trophy or if its a character I could see it like one of those amalgamate characters. Meaning that it might be like the one from chocobo mystery dungeon but it switches classes or something.

If more FF characters, in general, I think they're going to be from FF7.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I saw this meme a few weeks ago on Google, and I guess we can now finally say this is appropriate
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.png

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I don't typically humor the DBZ speculation for Smash.
But tbh if we were to get one I'd think we'd get Yamcha.
Simply because he'd be at a more "even" playing field than the others.
Power levels were never a thing in Smash

You've got a planet buster like kirby fighting against a freakin duck and a dog

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As they say, there’s never ever ever ever ever been a show like VeggieTales.
Puppetry out of vegetables? I'm fairly sure puppetry is (at least among its form) considered to be the oldest artform. Personification of items. It exists on a daily basis for children.

But then again I'm basically quoting a specific puppetry textbook at this point.

Speaking ok points and puppets, any puppets that you know of that could make it in?
I'm all ready to go back there if we are into debating leakers.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
So... Who do y'all think is the next reveal?
My Bets are on Incineroar
I wasn't expecting Isabelle at all. I was expecting someone huge like Geno or Skull Kid or Banjo and Kazooie, just like mostly everybody else. Following the trend of big shots like Ridley and King K. Rool, it'd make sense that all newcomers would be well-requested ballot characters. But after this direct? I honestly can't say. Sakurai's still got the element of surprise left in him. And that's what I like to see.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If it’s a Pokemon, Gardevoir/Gothitelle dual reveal. Otherwise, it’s gonna be Homura Akemi. There’s been too many hints.
I mean... Homura makes the most sense. She's from an anime, she's a girl, she's got black hair, she wears clothes, and she's takes **** from no one... seems like a character Sakurai would want (jk) :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I now legitimately feel Isaac is in the game. I dont think that was the direct we would have gotten last week. The ending was uncharacteristically off-set.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I now legitimately feel Isaac is in the game. I dont think that was the direct we would have gotten last week. The ending was uncharacteristically off-set.
Nope. The direct was 35 minutes before it was delayed and it was 35 today. Nothing was really changed.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't honestly buy into what Verg says. Just feels too inconsistent.

He knows some veterans are in, but didn't know EVERYONE IS HERE
Simon was impressive, especially since he said it before E3, but how come he didn't know about Richter
He didn't get KRool or any Echo.
Stupidly vague with some stuff
There's so far no evidence of Minecraft stuff anywhere in the game, especially curious when we've probably seen every stage and a stage would be the ideal way to represent the game
How sporadic and attention seeking he seems.
Spotty past

And honestly guessing Isabelle is not impressive at all, she was one of the most obvious newcomers, if he had specified unique or echo, than maybe. But Isabelle was someone every should honestly have expect.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I doubt it... That Animal Crossing announcement At the end makes it feel like Isabelle was Always intented to be revealed in this direct.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Nope. The direct was 35 minutes before it was delayed and it was 35 today. Nothing was really changed.
The direct started at 6 and ended at 6.39.

Listen. I know its more fun to debate if a leaker is real or not. But Ive spent enough time in editing rooms of various lengths to have seen how disjointed the end of that direct was.

Oh man
Here we go
Valuable contribution, Diane!

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
****ing Uematsu again! That's probably why I haven't heard him in FF since 2004; Square probably parted with him for being difficult with his music rights.
Considering the Final Fantasy ports have all his music intact, I doubt it's Uematsu. Actually, they still hire him for new FF music (as recently as FF15) and even got him to write all of FF14's music even though he'd been gone from Square for years at that point. He left on his own accord.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom