• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So, because I'm bored, I though'd I'd list some Smash opinions of mine. Out of these four, tell me which of them is the "craziest" to you.

#1: I like Brawl as game more then Melee
#2: I prefer the 3DS version of Smash 4 than the Wii U version
#3: If I had the ability, I would cut the Pokemon roster in half, and cut all Fire Emblem characters aside from only :ultmarth:and one other FE character.
#4: Indies are wouldn't be very exciting additions to Smash.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Agree to disagree. They were certainly semi-clones, and had more similarities to the fighters they drew from than Decapre, who could also be argued as a semi-clone.

Point is, I don't think the number of people buying echoes would be significantly fewer, because people want more content/are completionists/like the characters/etc. And with new versions of Ryu and Akuma, there's somewhat reasonable precedent.
the fact you keep using "clone" to me says you dont have much street fighter knowledge. characters in street fighter have styles and schools. oni, ryu, evil ryu, sagat, and sakura all have a simliar looking moves. yes that os true but you cannot easily competitively swap between those characters like people did lucina and marth in smash 4.

judging by the reaction to issabelle. i have no reason to believe semi-clone dlc would sell well.

calling decapre a semi-clone of cammy is honestly hilarious, completely wrong, but funny.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Hey random thought: I want Bear Hugger in as an assist trophy because then both of the canadian nintendo characters would be in (the other being Jeff.)

Iridium

Smash Hero

I like this better look at Link's Royal Guard Uniform alt. What do you all think. I might consider using this...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
the fact you keep using "clone" to me says you dont have much street fighter knowledge. characters in street fighter have styles and schools. oni, ryu, evil ryu, sagat, and sakura all have a simliar looking moves. yes that os true but you cannot easily competitively swap between those characters like people did lucina and marth in smash 4.

judging by the reaction to issabelle. i have no reason to believe semi-clone dlc would sell well.

calling decapre a semi-clone of cammy is honestly hilarious, completely wrong, but funny.
The reaction to Isabelle...who got 12k+ reddit upvotes...trended on Twitter for almost the whole damn day...what echo chamber you living in? The positive reactions DEFINITELY outweighed the negative.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Which also served as an Inkling trailer, because it's when the Inklings were revealed.
marketing wise it made sense to do inklings first even if it broke the pattern. they were the obvious newcomer. im not doing this argument again ive done it three times on this forum already.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
marketing wise it made sense to do inklings first even if it broke the pattern. they were the obvious newcomer. im not doing this argument again ive done it three times on this forum already.
Yet the pattern was still broken as soon as it started. Don't really see the need to argue it lol. You can throw entirely subjective points at me like the Inklings being obvious, but it doesn't throw out the objective fact that the pattern was over as soon as it started.

That was also not the point I was arguing with you. You said the Inklings were not a trailer for the Inklings but a game trailer. I proposed that they were both.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Here’s my prediction on the next smash direct:
-start with a character reveal (someone hype, but not as hype as the one they end it with)
-go into more detail on the modes revealed last direct, like actual gameplay on smashdown and squad strike.
-final assist trophy reel, followed by items, and finally ending with pokeballs, and at the end of the pokeball reel we get a trailer leading into our Pokémon newcomer.
-we see the last of the echoes (either two or three)
-then Sakurai talks about more of the modes we haven’t seen, like the options in the vault, and single player things like events.
-he then goes into talking about the new mode that we had teased to us in the last direct
-then it ends with a hype reveal that can compete with the likes of K. Rool and Ridley (Banjo & Kazooie).

D

Deleted member

The reaction to Isabelle...who got 12k+ reddit upvotes...trended on Twitter for almost the whole damn day...what echo chamber you living in? The positive reactions DEFINITELY outweighed the negative.
TBH, I saw a bigger reaction to Isabelle outside the Smash fandom than I did K. Rool. Smash fans were the only people I saw get really excited for him, and I feel like it died down rather quickly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I like this better look at Link's Royal Guard Uniform alt. What do you all think. I might consider using this...
>think that everyone getting all these alts mean TP Link can come back
Untitled.png

>still doesn't happen

Untitled.png

AugustusB

Smash Champion
And now for something completely different!

What is everyone's hopes for what Spirits mode could be?

For me, I would love a Subspace-esqe adventure mode. 2 player Co-Op would still be a thing with the introduction of 4 player Co-Op...That would be neat.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yet the pattern was still broken as soon as it started. Don't really see the need to argue it lol. You can throw entirely subjective points at me like the Inklings being obvious, but it doesn't throw out the objective fact that the pattern was over as soon as it started.
the counterpoint to you is the pattern starts on the solo character reveal trailers. they even put the reveals in order when the characters debuted in the same year. I think people don't want to believe this to be true because it limits newcomers to incenanroar and/or elma and removes geno from consideration.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
So, because I'm bored, I though'd I'd list some Smash opinions of mine. Out of these four, tell me which of them is the "craziest" to you.

#3: If I had the ability, I would cut the Pokemon roster in half, and cut all Fire Emblem characters aside from only :ultmarth:and one other FE character.
#1- Understandable, i also never liked Melee
#2- The 3DS had a more active playerbase so also understandable
#3- I don't care about Pokemon but FE definitively needs some cutting
#4- Okay now this one's crazy. What is wrong with you not wanting Sans or Shantae in?

My turn
1- Smash 64 is my favorite Smash ever
2- I thought SubSpace Emissary was boring as hell
3- Laboman needs to be in Smash

Last edited:

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
I find it interesting that people instantly believe Vergeben about Incineroar and Ken because that confirms Box Theory, but then he brings up the SE character and instantly the conversion turns to "Well, they're obviously DLC!"
Maybe because he said this himself:
"I guess I might as well end by saying that if you think this game won't be supported further after launch, well, that's not a smart assumption to make."

Not confirmation, but if he thinks it's possible, I'm inclined to feel the same way. Does he actually have knowledge that leads him to believe DLC is happening or does he simply have a hunch like anyone else would based on Smash 4? Dunno, but it's worth noting that he's typically very careful with what he says so as not to lose credibility.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Depends on how you choose to use the word "clone". So trying to equate that terminology to Smash's was probably a mistake on my part. I've been bigger into SF than Smash, actually.

By "clone", I don't mean playing similar. I mean stealing animations, 3D models, hurtbox properties, etc. from one character, making a million tiny changes, and re-releasing it as someone else. Decapre is nothing like Cammy in the way she plays. She's a charge character. But it's not just a coincidence that she looks exactly ****ing like her. That's by design to limit the work needed to create her, which is exactly what the purpose of echoes and semi-clones in Smash is.

I'm not at all saying Evil Ryu/Oni Akuma/Decapre play like their counterparts. So if that's how my post came off, that's my bad. But they absolutely were made in order to avoid creating entirely new characters. They were cloned from the originals then altered to be different. That's what an echo fighter is-- just not nearly as dramatic in the case of Dark Pit and Lucina. I'd need to actually play as the others to know where they stand.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
After thinking about it, the easiest way to lower the hype is to spread pessimism

If you are really hoping your character gets in, even as DLC, the fastest way to make sure they won't is to spread pessimism.

So, screw Leaky Pandy. And screw the box theory

I've been able to keep up the fight for 12 years so I don't see a reason why I should let some fan theories keep me down.
I've been hoping and holding on for 10 years for my character to get in, I cant just throw it all away either. No matter what happens I'll still believe also.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Hey random thought: I want Bear Hugger in as an assist trophy because then both of the canadian nintendo characters would be in (the other being Jeff.)
I think Jeff is psuedo-English? What with riding Tessie and walking past Stonehenge and all.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
the counterpoint to you is the pattern starts on the solo character reveal trailers. they even put the reveals in order when the characters debuted in the same year. I think people don't want to believe this to be true because it limits newcomers to incenanroar and/or elma and removes geno from consideration.
So now we're just moving the goalposts???

I don't believe it to be true because you had to alter your entire theory for it to stand up. Let's consider why it may be in chronological order.

-By your logic, Inklings the obvious first newcomer. Ridley would be the even more obvious E3 newcomer. He indisputably is the hypest reveal they could've had there.
-K. Rool OPENING up a direct? Silly, seeing as he, along with Ridley, have ruled the speculation scene for a long, long time. Many people would likely ignore the rest of the Direct if they got K. Rool, if they even kept watching it at all.

But you see these? They're subjective points. So, forgetting those, here's some objective points;

-I don't know how much more I can stress that no matter how you look at it the pattern of reveals was broken as soon as the start.
-Plus, wouldn't Isabelle not fit the solo character reveal trailer as she was revealed alongside a new Animal Crossing?

You are looking far too deep for simple coincidences. I don't "not want it to be true because of who it limits" I KNOW it isn't true because the pattern didn't even manifest.

Maybe because he said this himself:
"I guess I might as well end by saying that if you think this game won't be supported further after launch, well, that's not a smart assumption to make."

Not confirmation, but if he thinks it's possible, I'm inclined to feel the same way. Does he actually have knowledge that leads him to believe DLC is happening or does he simply have a hunch like anyone else would based on Smash 4? Dunno, but it's worth noting that he's typically very careful with what he says so as not to lose credibility.
So the issue is that we can now just as easily say Ken or Incineroar could be DLC. Of course he knows DLC is coming; I don't see how that correlates to it being exclusively and only the SE rep.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
While his source for this may be different than his Smash sources...

It's getting really hard to find reasons to doubt him at all anymore.

I still see people scream "Lucky guess" about his picks, but stuff keeps falling into place for him this time.
I'm way behind, but in case anyone hasn't answered this, Vergeben attributed the Castlevania stuff to his "most refutable source", i.e. the one who claimed the SE newcomer and Minecraft content.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

You already know my opinion on cutting all the FE characters, including three totally unique movesets, except for Marth and some unnamed guy. ;)

LetterO

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about the "don't expect too many new challengers" line alot. I have a thought, but I don't know how correct it is. What if Sakurai meant to not expect too many newcomers in comparison to the other games?

Brawl got 18

Smash 4 got 17 (21 counting DLC)

So far for Ultimate, we have 9 counting echos. Not counting echos, we have 5.

If we got 13, 14, or 15 newcomers total, it'd not be as many as Smash 4 or Brawl. I don't know how much sense it makes, but it's something to consider

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about the "don't expect too many new challengers" line alot. I have a thought, but I don't know how correct it is. What if Sakurai meant to not expect too many newcomers in comparison to the other games?

Brawl got 18

Smash 4 got 17 (21 counting DLC)

So far for Ultimate, we have 9 counting echos. Not counting echos, we have 5.

If we got 14 of 15 newcomers total, it'd not be as many as Smash 4 or Brawl. I don't know how much sense it makes, but it's something to consider
I...thought that was what he meant the whole time?

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
So the issue is that we can now just as easily say Ken or Incineroar could be DLC. Of course he knows DLC is coming; I don't see how that correlates to it being exclusively and only the SE rep.
Well, it can't be Ken because Ken's place is accounted for on the box. We're assuming DLC won't be on the box. So yes, technically the final slot could be Incineroar or it could be SE character. The point is that with the knowledge (strong assumption) of DLC, it allows for Verge's leak to fit with box theory, regardless of which character is actually relegated to it (besides Ken).

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone expressed the desire to cut the rosters of pokemon and/or fire emblem.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No, that's based on his royal armor from Breath of the Wild.
I see. They called it Royal Guard and I just assumed Hyrule Warriors.

Which immediately made suspicious they might have actually used Hyrule Warriors Impa after all if she got in somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom